CANARYKING

Premiership relegation next season

Undoubtedly we’ll be close to favourites but with the amount of change at Palace, they’d be my choice for one of the places. 

so they’ll probably finish top six. 

• Haha 1

If Barnsley don’t come up we’re the favourites for bottom slot. I don’t think Norwich will bite the bullet but understand why neutrals pick us. A massive transfer window coming up.

There's so many sides in the Prem who are just turgid dead wood, but only three spots available to get rid. 

As much as I dislike Leeds, Wolves and Villa they do at least entertain. 

So I'd like any one of: Palace, Burnley, Newcastle then Watford, and the playoff winner. 

Not us, obviously. 

Burnley, Brighton and the last place being fought between City, Palace and play off winners. 

I like our chances to stay up. I expect Watford to relegate. The reason being their subpar offence capability. Can't draw your way out of relegation.

Play-off club - perhaps Bournemouth - is the 2nd who relegates, because can't afford substantial investment into players.

3rd one, I admit I am biased against Newcastle, but still, a club paraded to be sold to a regime committing genocide, atrocities, war crimes, murder and other crimes against humanity - a sale only stopped by outside intervention - deserves to be wiped off the Earth.

I haven't seen reports of fans torching premises in Newcastle to stop the owner. I guess they're okay with it. Btw, how does Newcastle have *any* fans whatsoever? I mean even if you're ok with evil, wouldn't you want to see nice football?

Here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-56757906

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56293399

My head says us, the play off winner and Palace (or Burnley if Palace poach Dyche) but if we manage to have an outstanding summer window and get lucky with injuries then maybe swap us with Newcastle

I'm not overly negative in general but I'm still haunted by how much we struggled for most of 19/20 and how factors like VAR and the injury crisis we seem to have every year just made it even harder.

I don't envy the job of the recruitment team this summer, they have to get it spot on and these improvements have to stay fit or you can pretty much guarentee we'll be relegated again

• Like 1

I can’t see us staying the course we just lack the depth of quality, last couple times up here it’s been injuries which have cost us and even with a few additions we’re still relying on a fairly injury free season to stay up.

Watford and Bournemouth did the double over us last season, Watford will no doubt buy with a bigger budget, so I do see us and whoever comes up through the play offs as favourites to go down.

But if we can keep the core of the team fit, add with Skipp return, a really good striker and a versatile CB then we have a very good chance to push for 17th.

I think Swansea or Bournemouth will be promoted and will go back down along with Brighton & Us.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sky bet this morning (obvs without playoff winner ) 

AB1D1F18-DC25-42D2-A5FA-3458ED087B9A.jpeg

I'm not a betting man, but the above odds suggest to me that we are already set to be relegated.

I've lived through so many relegations that I cannot cope with the hope of staying up, so I will work on the basis that we will be one of the three who will be relegated, and if the miracle happens and we stay up I will be amazed and delighted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Starting point is always going to be all three promoted clubs. One of these could possibly exceed expectations in the way Sheffield United and Leeds have done the previous two years. Equally one of the other 17 could possibly implode. This season Southampton went off quickly but have been in relegation form since. Palace have major churn ahead which makes it impossible to judge until we see what coach/team they have in August. Same with Newcastle, will Bruce still be there, will the takeover have happened will they strengthen. Leeds could suffer second season syndrome. Villa could lose Grealish. Brighton, Burnley & Wolves could all run out of road next year. So right now I would say you would have to say the promoted three. Ask me again in August and the answer might be different.

If Bournemouth win the play-offs then I think we will see the highest ever quality Premier League next season. It will be harder to stay up than it was in 19/20 and that was already an incredibly difficult season.

Over the past few seasons teams have gone from being rich and dumb, to rich and smart - before less wealthy clubs could survive by being cleverer than the other teams, increasingly that is more difficult as all Premier League teams are focusing more resources into improving their intelligence. 

Still to early to call who will likely be in the mix - overhaul at Palace will impact them and Burnley and Dyche might finally part ways if he continues to be frustrated by the board (although I doubt he'd leave without a job lined up and who is actually going to appoint him right now?). Southampton and Brighton have both improved as the season has gone on and have good managers.

Can't see Wolves being involved as any threat and their owners will likely sanction a huge spend in January - they have struggled due to the lack of Jimenez and he'll be back next season. Leeds will be fine if Bielsa stays, and that looks likely, Villa look unlikely to suddenly drop into a relegation battle, Newcastle could possibly be involved though.

Good luck to Webber, Scott and Farke - they will need it.

• Like 5

Don’t get why Brighton are given less chance of relegation than Wolves or Villa.

Just have to hope a couple of the clubs who have been treading water for a season or two (Newcastle, Palace, Burnley snd Brighton the main candidates) have poor seasons and we can finish above at least one of the sides coming up with us. 

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

Watford, play-off winners and one from Norwich, Burnley or Palace.

I'd throw Southampton in there as well if they lose Ings. And maybe Wolves...

1 hour ago, Upo said:

I like our chances to stay up. I expect Watford to relegate. The reason being their subpar offence capability. Can't draw your way out of relegation.

Play-off club - perhaps Bournemouth - is the 2nd who relegates, because can't afford substantial investment into players.

3rd one, I admit I am biased against Newcastle, but still, a club paraded to be sold to a regime committing genocide, atrocities, war crimes, murder and other crimes against humanity - a sale only stopped by outside intervention - deserves to be wiped off the Earth.

I haven't seen reports of fans torching premises in Newcastle to stop the owner. I guess they're okay with it. Btw, how does Newcastle have *any* fans whatsoever? I mean even if you're ok with evil, wouldn't you want to see nice football?

Here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-56757906

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56293399

Most ridiculous post of the year.

I can't see Burnley going down until they get silly ideas about wanting to play attractive football like Stoke did when they sacked Pulis.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I can't see Burnley going down until they get silly ideas about wanting to play attractive football like Stoke did when they sacked Pulis.

That's a really great point, Burnley's style is what keeps them there.

Dyche doesn't want to play pretty football he wants to defend for their lives and score goals. Not great for the purest to watch but works for them and has always got them enough points to survive each season.

Burnley need to take money out the club, both to service the debt and because the new owners have only paid for half of the club so far. I believe James Tarkowksi only has 12 months left on his contract, so if they can't agree a new contract, could easily force a move this summer. So I think Burnley will struggle, and it's difficult to see if Dyche can keep them up this year.

For Norwich, everything depends on the quality of the recruitment this window. I can't see us stopping up with the current squad, so it all depends if we can attract quality players to the club or not.

Of course we will be in the mix, so will a few others. That's the name of the game.

Neither is the PL some fantasy footballing world inhabited by superhumans, I've watched enough of MotD recently to realise that.

I'd rather concentrate on the merit money on offer, every point/place counts and it counts a lot.

Us, play off winner and Brighton. Unfortunately 19/20 scarred me forever and the elephant in the room is addressing how flipping hard it will be to stay up.  

Palace always look down and out but always, somehow, get by. Burnley are too streetwise and Newcastle seem to have picked up of late, whether that bleeds into next season or its a bit of a case of them playing teams who are 'on the beach' last few fixtures might be the case however. 

As for out promotion peer in Watford, they'll just buy their way to safety because they can.