Gunn

Rowe

Sainz

Sargent 

Sara

Borderline

Kenny

Nunez

Basically we would need to sign an entire back 4. On the plus side, defenders are the cheapest players to buy. 

Roughly this.

Definitely need a new back 4 even with dimi having the best year yet with us and McCallum looking like the second coming ot max Aaron's.

But as discussed to stay in the prem we will need to play solid Houghton style pragmatic football.

It's not going to be entertaining stuff, we flow and attack and we will just get destroyed.

It might sound boring but I would rather swashbuckle my way into a relegation battle than pragmatically slog into the bottom half.

I support my team but football is entertainment at it's core.

It goes back to the whole - are you not entertained gladiator meme.

Would I rather watch attacking football and enjoy my day out or sit in the prem defending every inch of trench.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

If by 'more complete', you mean he's good both in the air and on the ground, I agree. He has improved enormously in the areas where he was weak, but I think his first touch will always be a little haphazard if we play a more tiki-taka, keep-ball approach.

I think Sara and Nunez might add more than a sprinkle of quality. Personally I see them as potentially a very good midfield pairing.

Sadly, I think the Tzolis ship has sailed. Yes, he's doing great at Dusseldorf (I think I'm right in saying he's got five goals and two assists in his last four games), but a) we don't know what price they have the right to buy him for, and if the conjecture that it's around four million is right, why wouldn't they when they could sell him for at least double that, and b) I don't imagine he would want to come back to a club where he basically failed and/or he wasn't given the opportunities to succeed.

Agree about Gunn and McLean.

Finally, you haven't mentioned Sainz. 

I read somewhere that they have an option to buy for €5m but already have an offer of €7m to immediately sell him. 

Tzolis or Sainz this is not a question.  Sainz given his temperamental issues is proving to be a real asset.

1 hour ago, Darth Vadis said:

We’d need a massive amount of investment - 10 additions at least.

2x quality wingers to compete with Sainz and Rowe

1x CM to compete with Núñez

2x DMs to fill our gaping defensive midfield hole

A whole new backline

A quality backup keeper to push Gunn

Another good striker to push/fill in for Sargent would be needed

IMG_4155.png

Pretty much agree with this. A few loanees perhaps but with transfer fees and EPL standard contracts at £50k a week will eat into the Sky TV money pretty rapidly.

We probably wouldn't stay up, it gets harder every year and even spending everything we possibly could wouldn't get it done. Have to try though, what's the alternative?

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I was thinking about this the other day and came to exact same conclusion of the five who are good enough and the two who are borderline.

I'd also be sure to keep Barnes, Stacey, Duffy and Hanley as experienced heads to provide backup and leadership as they'd all still be under contract. 

Beyond that, there'd be a lot of work to be done.

Oh dear! Expect many, many thrashings then. None of those three are remotely good enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Are we in a stronger position than last time we went up squad wise? Maybe.

The big players from last time were, Pukki, Buendia and Skipp. Buendia and Skipp would leave before the season and Pukki wasn’t as effective without the other players (although did his best).

I would argue Sargent is a more complete striker and more useful in the premiership than Pukki. Rowe is a better overall prospect than Cantwell. Sara and Nunez have the potential add a sprinkle of quality.

Then there is Tzolis. He’s had a banging season out on loan. Could he add a new dynamic? We don’t know, all we know is he’s older and more confident this time round.

Gunn, McClean, Dimi, Gibson are more aware of the task in hand.

We need to plug gaps in defence and midfield but I don’t think we are in a worse position squad wise.

No we need to sell Tzolis-he’s been banging them in in the German second division. You don’t mention Sainz who is also a great prospect. I don’t think we can rely on Dimi at that level. The original list on here clearly outlines our best players/prospects-the other positions need strengthening.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mr footy said:

We have a chance to right some previous seasons in the top flight ,as we look to make the play offs.If we get promoted does anyone on this forum believe we will stay up at least one season?

I always think we will stay up. Never once have I felt when winning the league with Farke or in Neil's season via the play offs in recent times, that we wouldn't survive.

As a few posters here have mentioned we have Sara, Sarge, Sainz and Gunn plus Rowe. We do not have the so-called spine however with a quality centre back (ideally two). That will be the key. Get a defensive mid and 2 centre backs as the priority. I feel Mcallum and Stacey might make decent back ups but we would need upgrades.

There are often 3 leagues in the PL and our task would be to be the best of the bottom set of 6/7 teams.

Having a kinder fixture list would be a massive help especially at the start of the campaign. We've had shockers on the last two occasions.

Edited by sonyc

I think we should get there before talking about it. We barely scrape into 6th and suddenly we need to start thinking about the Premier League. 

• Like 1

Of course, it is nailed on. It's not as if promoted clubs struggle, just look at this season.

Some cling on before facing the inevitable drop. The self-pitying bellyaching by what I suspect are the usual post 2011'ers seem oblivious to the reality of the situation. You need exceptional outside investment or extremely high income, otherwise there is little chance of competing.

That does not mean we should not be battling away in the Championship. Do we expect to win the FA Cup when we enter, probably not. Much as with the League Cup. Perhaps we should see if we can duck out of those as well.

We are in with a chance of the playoffs because we did not embark on some suicidal spend to try and delay the drop for another season two. Look below and see those who did. Payment for players is usually staggered over 3 years, as are the contracts. You can end up with the likes of Naismith not wiling to give up on a lucrative PL contract.

The real point is the next 9 games (or more ?). If, U say if, we were to go up then it would on the back of a cracking tun, a bl00dy marvellous day out at Wembley. Whatever happens the following season can take care of itself. What ever happens it is worth around a quarter of a billion to the club. Great days out for away fans and us seeing some of the world's greatest players gracing Carrow Road.

F*ck what others think or say. Who gives a toss about what some g0b****e says on the TV. if it does concern you then make sure you boycott the plays offs and Wembley (were they to happen) because some rude man might say some horrid things about us.

As Mr Kipling (him of the cakes) once said

"If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat the first as ruddy marvellous, and forget the latter

Then you will be  a City fan, my son"

• Like 1

The problem we have and I know many won’t agree with me but the premiership is just a total different level these days. I don’t believe any of our players are good enough to keep us up. 

That doesn’t mean they aren’t premiership standard. With better players some may be but I would expect they would be squad players rather than starters. 

The only way we stay up is by upgrading the whole starting 11 and some of the bench, with perhaps some of those starting today being bench players. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mr footy said:

We have a chance to right some previous seasons in the top flight ,as we look to make the play offs.If we get promoted does anyone on this forum believe we will stay up at least one season?

Who knows.

Nobody would have bet on Luton being the most likely to stay up of the promoted three, but clearly they are now the most likely to stay up.

I primarily think that if we go up it is important that we sign players that would also be useful to us in the league below, so basically that we come down with a stronger squad than we went up with, like West Brom did several times back in the day before eventually 

If we can sneak up the objective should be to put up a fight as much as possible, but the key objective should be to ensure that if we come straight back down it is with a squad better equipped to challenge for automatic promotion, so essentially using our Sky TV windfall to improve the team, whether that is enough to stay up or not.

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Oh dear! Expect many, many thrashings then. None of those three are remotely good enough. 

I know, but they're under contract and would provide leadership in the dressing room and emergency cover. Duffy and Hanley could be fourth and fifth choice, and Barnes could be third choice striker. Even if we keep those four, we'd need at least ten new players. 

Depends on what we can expect in terms of investment from MA+friends. 

Then also depends on how well our recruitment team can use that investment. 

Can we build a prem team? Yes absolutely, will we? Probably not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

For me, the crucial difference between our last two promotions would be not the team, but the tactics. Instead of the frankly suicidal Farke approach, a more realistic, pragmatic way of playing, designed to keep us up for one season, then buy a couple more players of the appropriate quality, and an extra year’s parachute payments if it fails, is what we ought to be looking at. Not to play Pep at his own game.

I agree with you completely - it is the tactics not the the players that is they key. I don't think that Sheff u had better players that us when they stayed up, nor do I think that Brentford's squad was significantly better than ours the first year they stayed up. Tactic is the key - as you say, trying to outplay players of higher quality is asking for trouble as we found and Burnley have found this year. 

Notice how much better Burnley did under Dyche, with far less money than they have done under Kompany. To stay up we need pragmatic tactics and for the squad and playing style to evolve over time. (Having said that, when Palace tried to evolve their playing style they had to go back to Hodgson pretty quickly!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mr footy said:

Answer to the thread title - unequivocally Yes....  

Answer to your post.    Absolutely no chance.  We don't have the players or the financial backing or the recruitment, or the coach.. recipe for disaster.   

Building a squad takes time, probably 3 years.  Needs a proper plan and patience.  We haven't built anything this past three seasons.  Farke wasn't far away from making it work.   

We go up this season, we'll spend all the money again trying in vain to compete, have an awful experience and end up chasing our tails again.... and skint!    Meanwhile all this talent out on loan, will likely be lost as they won't get a chance, much like what's happening to Gibbs.    We'd need to start with the recruitment and get that sorted first of course, then a manager with a philosoply we can buy into.... of course, we will lose Sara, Sargent and Rowe, that's inevitable, but its happening anyway at some point and at least we'l get money for them but we won't following a disastrous EPL campaign.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Notice how much better Burnley did under Dyche, with far less money than they have done under Kompany. To stay up we need pragmatic tactics and for the squad and playing style to evolve over time. (Having said that, when Palace tried to evolve their playing style they had to go back to Hodgson pretty quickly!)

And therein lies the issue, if staying up consistently, means playing defensive, god awful hoofball relying on overly physical players, then I'd rather yo-yo between the prem and champs than watch that rubbish each week.

Look at Stoke under Pulis, terrible football to watch but it kept them up, when they tried to be more creative it started going downhill, and they've never recovered since.

The problem is that this 'evolution over time', is almost a myth, the only way this happens is if significant money is pumped into the side on a regular basis to deal with new players and increasingly higher wages to keep that evolution going, and that's simply not going to happen here for the forseeable future.

People point out Brentford as example of doing things on a relatively limited budget, yet despite being able to stay up for a couple of seasons, they're currently only 5 points ahead of Luton ffs, they're in a relegation battle still and already miles behind where they finished last season, so where's this evolution over time then? 3 years in the prem and yet they're worse this year than when they came up!

I'd much rather we played exciting attacking football, be this like under Stringer/Walker/Lambert/Farke and their differing approaches, then EVER go back down the Hughton route (which Wagner can be akin to at times), and if we get outplayed our outmuscled, then so be it.

You could offer me the premier league title with champions league football, but if it was acheived by parking the bus, playing dire, overly defensive dross each week whilst scraping out 1-0 wins, then you can keep it, and I'd rather we went down than watch that garbage match after match. I want to be entertained, I want to see skillful dribbling, outstanding passes, outrageous finishes and a style of play that celebrates everything great about football, not 11 thugs on a pitch hoping to score from a set piece and then putting 10 men in defence...

• Like 2

Honestly, who knows?

As for this "unknown" stance from some quarters - so what? If we had proven premier league quality players, they'd not be here anymore would they? Even Aarons, who some (enough to make comment on) felt wasn't premier league proven has done well.

Anyway, I digress.

All I would want to see is a better fist of it than our last two to three attempts to stay up. Interestingly, going on the idea of Premier League 'proven' - both Barnes and Duffy have a lot of premier league experience and of staying up season after season. So in theory, that's two players who, whilst may have played their best football, at least have been there and done it before. Valuable assets that we have lacked in campaigns before.

Giannoulis is out of contract along with McCallum. I think a recent article on the pinkun suggested that without promotion we might struggle to keep him. I do wonder if that's why both of their situations is still undecided. Either way, I would say one is at least a Lambert style "imbetweenie" and the other is "young and hungry".

First season we went up, we had no "proven" players at that level. We had some who had played top tier elsewhere... Hell, Pukki had pretty much flopped at all of the top tier leagues in Europe at that point and after one season that took everyone by surprise, hardly could be considered proven. As I pointed out elsewhere, Sargent has arguably proven himself more if compared to the same stage of Pukki's career - not that it counts for anything mind.

It's unlikely that we will see a massive overhaul of players, saying 10+ needed is daft. That has been the case for every team going up and it rarely happens unless you have buckets of money like Forrest. I suspect five players is more likely, if we don't sell anyone and we can keep one of Giannoulis or McCallum.

For me, strengthen down the spine. A new back up goalkeeper. A CB with pace. A physical midfielder - not necessarily an out and out DM but someone who has more physical presence. Another striker, perhaps one with some outright speed if they can be found. The fifth one could be another wide player capable of playing in a No.10 role, or a right back to improve upon Stacey or to allow Fisher to go out on loan.

We could bring in more than 5 if the likes of a back up keeper can be found on a free for a season or two that can compete with Gunn or prove a more worthy understudy. Not convinced loans have massively helped us in the past at prem level so I wouldn't bother too much with those unless it's with a genuine view to sign them permanently. 

37 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

And therein lies the issue, if staying up consistently, means playing defensive, god awful hoofball relying on overly physical players, then I'd rather yo-yo between the prem and champs than watch that rubbish each week.

Look at Stoke under Pulis, terrible football to watch but it kept them up, when they tried to be more creative it started going downhill, and they've never recovered since.

Actually, sacking Pulis and being more creative improved them. Their highest finish under Pulis was 13th I believe, and their first three seasons without him saw them finish 9th for three consecutive years. Their downfall was signing several big name players on high wages all at once that were only interested in the money and couldn't give a toss about what happened on the pitch. 

33 minutes ago, chicken said:

Giannoulis is out of contract along with McCallum. I think a recent article on the pinkun suggested that without promotion we might struggle to keep him. I do wonder if that's why both of their situations is still undecided. Either way, I would say one is at least a Lambert style "imbetweenie" and the other is "young and hungry".

To be honest, I don't think I'd keep Giannoulis regardless of division. 

If we don't go up, I think it'd take a big wage for him to stay, and I don't think that would be justified when McCallum is no worse and would presumably be prepared to stay on less money.

If we went up, we'd need an upgrade as I don't think either are good enough to be first choice in the Premier League. Maybe McCallum would be worth a new deal as a cheap backup, but we'd need a new first choice.

50 minutes ago, chicken said:

It's unlikely that we will see a massive overhaul of players, saying 10+ needed is daft. That has been the case for every team going up and it rarely happens unless you have buckets of money like Forrest. I suspect five players is more likely, if we don't sell anyone and we can keep one of Giannoulis or McCallum.

Respectfully, I don't think it's daft at all to suggest we'd need 10+ players to improve the squad to the level required to at least stay in the prem.

We've struggled this season in the champs with our current squad, and that would only be worse once we're up against the likes of Man City and Arsenal, rather than Rotherham and QPR!

Our squad is barely capable as it is with a few minor injuries, and there are bound to be a number of departures from players on high wages at the end of their contracts, be this Gibson, Dimi or similar. Also, players like Duffy aren't magically going to get any younger or fitter, so whilst they may still be able to do a job at this level, put them up against top level players next season and see how quickly we drop.

Fisher isn't ready to cover for Stacey, both of McCallum and Dimi could well go along with Gibson, and are we convinced that Hanley and or Duffy are really what we need next year, so already we're arguably on 4 players just for the backline (5 if Dimi and Sam leave, unless you want McLean or Lungi there?).

Similarly in midfield, we still need that solid presence in the centre we haven't had since Tettey/Skipp, if Sara's out for any length of time it just gets worse, not to mention that Fassnacht has yet to impress, Rowe could well be gone (if he's not injured again), Barnes like Duffy isn't getting any younger or quicker, and if Sarge is out, then we're really in trouble.

You also agree with need a better backup than Long, so already we're pretty much at that 10+ players requirement, unless you somehow think we can hobble through a premier league season with half of that, depsite not even setting the world alight this year in the champs with the same players!

The squad desperately needs a refresh, the problem as rightly identified is that it probably costs more than we have available to get both the quality and quantity of replacements in to acheive this, that's the conundrum that Knapper has to untangle, and it only gets more complicated should we go up (even if it's a nice problem to have to solve in that instance).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Respectfully, I don't think it's daft at all to suggest we'd need 10+ players to improve the squad to the level required to at least stay in the prem.

We've struggled this season in the champs with our current squad, and that would only be worse once we're up against the likes of Man City and Arsenal, rather than Rotherham and QPR!

Our squad is barely capable as it is with a few minor injuries, and there are bound to be a number of departures from players on high wages at the end of their contracts, be this Gibson, Dimi or similar. Also, players like Duffy aren't magically going to get any younger or fitter, so whilst they may still be able to do a job at this level, put them up against top level players next season and see how quickly we drop.

Fisher isn't ready to cover for Stacey, both of McCallum and Dimi could well go along with Gibson, and are we convinced that Hanley and or Duffy are really what we need next year, so already we're arguably on 4 players just for the backline (5 if Dimi and Sam leave, unless you want McLean or Lungi there?).

Similarly in midfield, we still need that solid presence in the centre we haven't had since Tettey/Skipp, if Sara's out for any length of time it just gets worse, not to mention that Fassnacht has yet to impress, Rowe could well be gone (if he's not injured again), Barnes like Duffy isn't getting any younger or quicker, and if Sarge is out, then we're really in trouble.

You also agree with need a better backup than Long, so already we're pretty much at that 10+ players requirement, unless you somehow think we can hobble through a premier league season with half of that, depsite not even setting the world alight this year in the champs with the same players!

The squad desperately needs a refresh, the problem as rightly identified is that it probably costs more than we have available to get both the quality and quantity of replacements in to acheive this, that's the conundrum that Knapper has to untangle, and it only gets more complicated should we go up (even if it's a nice problem to have to solve in that instance).

This very much underlines why I think it's daft.

Every team, including those in the top six along with us, would reflect that they need 10+ players to improve their squad to the level required to stay in the prem. Reality is a different beast.

As for struggling in the Champs this season... it's not over yet. We are talking about a scenario where we find ourselves with premier league football next season. That's hardly "struggling".

We are on "what if?"s at this point. Which is fine. However, I think if we were promoted, wages wouldn't be an isue for Dimi or Gibson for example. I suspect that we would keep McCallum but we are waiting to see what happens with other players first in the scenario we are not promoted. I suspect we would not be able to offer both competitive wages so we would have to lose one. Going on the recent article which would appear somewhat informed, Dimi will be off to the continent somewhere should we not get promoted. He can be in discussions with them right now. McCallum, due to his age, cannot under the Bosman rules.

I've said this other seasons, but you never clean sweep a department unless forced to. You'd not willingly let all four of your CB's go, equally, that doesn't mean you think they are all up to the task. Duffy and Hanley are fine as back ups, both have contracts running out in the not so distant future and that works as a way of us finding a CB to play now, then another the next transfer window/summer to allow for one of them to go. Transition.

When you see the likes of Brentford and Luton do well, it's because they haven't gone for wholesale change. Last time out we changed formation and personnel - both big changes. It takes the zip out of any momentum you have from promotion, and you need that. You need to capitalise on that buzz of belief gained from promotion from the off in the premier league, points on the board early doors whilst that mentality is there is vital.

Chop and change too much and you face the situation Forest have this season. They have thrown hundreds of millions at it in both transfer fees and wages and yet there is every chance that Luton could stay up at their expense.

You don't have to spend big bucks. Lambert, Karsa and Culverhouse didn't.

It doesn't matter where you finish this season. Alex Neil managed a smash and grab effort and got us up both into the play-offs and then to promotion. As soon as the first ball of the following season is kicked at kick off, it doesn't matter whether you finished 1st by a country mile or scraped into 6th almost on the final whistle of the final day of the season.

Realistically, if we bring 10 players in, it'll be either because we have sold a player or players upon promotion again - watch the meltdown that causes, or it'll be because we have bought a handful of key players to add to what we have and looked to the loan and freebie market to try and make the squad more competitive.

I very much doubt to see all of the players leave that are out of contract this summer, no matter which league we are in.

Not unless you can come up with 200 million to buy an entire back line, holding midfielder and another decent striker! 
That’s just the starting 11! We really could do with promotion though, give it a good go and take the money. But this would also mean we get a better chance of keep Sargent, Sara & Rowe! 
The reality is we have the worst set of centre backs ever, can anyone really see Gibson, Duffy, Hanley & Batth in the premier league!

Of course we all would take the money and another season in the top flight especially at the expense of the Binners, but we would struggle as always!

• Like 1

I think we’d be ok going forwards, there’s just enough quality there to eke out a few goals. The defence would be torn to shreds though, we’d need to spend some serious money (by our standards) to make ourselves much harder to beat 

3 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

The problem is that this 'evolution over time', is almost a myth, ...

I agree with most, if not all of what you say in the post but there is still a part of me (heart rather than brain?) which retains some hope - perhaps naively. We managed to play an attractive, although often direct, brand of football under Lambert and I'm not convinced (yet?) that it's impossible* - although clubs like ours (and about half the division) are only ever a bad run away from relegation once we get to the Premier League.

* I can dream about a solid 4-5-1 with rapid counter attacks with Sainz, Rowe, Sara and Sargent, with Nunez pinging long balls as teams over-extend in trying to break us down. But then, it's the hope that kills you...

7 hours ago, RobJames said:

Of course, it is nailed on. It's not as if promoted clubs struggle, just look at this season.

Some cling on before facing the inevitable drop. The self-pitying bellyaching by what I suspect are the usual post 2011'ers seem oblivious to the reality of the situation. You need exceptional outside investment or extremely high income, otherwise there is little chance of competing.

That does not mean we should not be battling away in the Championship. Do we expect to win the FA Cup when we enter, probably not. Much as with the League Cup. Perhaps we should see if we can duck out of those as well.

We are in with a chance of the playoffs because we did not embark on some suicidal spend to try and delay the drop for another season two. Look below and see those who did. Payment for players is usually staggered over 3 years, as are the contracts. You can end up with the likes of Naismith not wiling to give up on a lucrative PL contract.

The real point is the next 9 games (or more ?). If, U say if, we were to go up then it would on the back of a cracking tun, a bl00dy marvellous day out at Wembley. Whatever happens the following season can take care of itself. What ever happens it is worth around a quarter of a billion to the club. Great days out for away fans and us seeing some of the world's greatest players gracing Carrow Road.

F*ck what others think or say. Who gives a toss about what some g0b****e says on the TV. if it does concern you then make sure you boycott the plays offs and Wembley (were they to happen) because some rude man might say some horrid things about us.

As Mr Kipling (him of the cakes) once said

"If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat the first as ruddy marvellous, and forget the latter

Then you will be  a City fan, my son"

**** me what rambling nonsense 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Not unless you can come up with 200 million to buy an entire back line, holding midfielder and another decent striker! 
That’s just the starting 11! We really could do with promotion though, give it a good go and take the money. But this would also mean we get a better chance of keep Sargent, Sara & Rowe! 
The reality is we have the worst set of centre backs ever, can anyone really see Gibson, Duffy, Hanley & Batth in the premier league!

Of course we all would take the money and another season in the top flight especially at the expense of the Binners, but we would struggle as always!

Frightening to think of Duffy an Hanley as centre backs in The Conference let alone The Premiership would be another embarrassing season

All pipe dreams we are a million miles off Premiership Football 

13 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Yes genuinely.

This season has been all over the place. You can blame who you like for that, Webber, Wagner, injuries or maybe a combination or something different. However for me we do have some real quality players.

Keep hold of Sargent, Sainz, Gunn, Rowe and Sara and that’s the core of a team that can fight against relegation. 

You don’t need 11 stars to survive in the PL, you need a good coach, a bunch of guys who can do a good enough job and a few players who can change a game.

Get a summer right and you can give yourself a chance, it’s still a small chance, but it’s possible with the core we have.

Well said. I’ll take a pint of that.