Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*official Lappinitup match thread Canaries V Foxes*

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Hwang was signed because he could apparantly replicate the workrate of Sargent...if he's no better than Idah and not ready to play, what the hell have we signed him for?

We've got to start him and see what we've got

The two cameos he has played he lack’s energy, he doesn’t close down and certainly not a Sargent. There’s still time for him to impress but to me given he’s only got time in the second half he should be working his socks off! Just looks like an amateur in a pro league! But like I said he’s only just starting out so time will tell and hopefully he’ll click into gear.

41 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Gibson makes some good interceptions, but generally when we concede and/or give away chances there is usually a Gibson pass or error in the phases leading up to it! 

My question was, why was the goal Gibsons fault, which was the posters message.

I see the usual folks are out in force to get the old underpant wetting ceremony going.

1st game we failed to score in this season.

Leicester are very much still a team with premier league players. Evidenced by the fact that they had players on the bench with top level experience we would probably have in our starting line up. Players that we'd unlikely afford if we were in the premier league. A sense of perspective needed I feel.

Cast your mind back to two promotion campaigns under Farke, we won against the other top 6 sides rarely, but won the league. Now, I am not expecting that this season. But we have just played the best team in this league at this time, and a team that will have to have some major slip ups not to win the title. A lot of folks felt that before a ball was kicked in anger this season.

Now, if you are getting uppity about that, you are also likely to be one of the folks saying we'd be closer to relegation this season. Which means you are upset about the best team beating a bottom half team - you can't have it all ways.

Realistically, we are wanting a top six finish. Some folks are already writing that off despite our start being decent enough for that. We are miles better than last season and for periods of the game today we took it to Leicester and looked a match. Against that sort of quality though, you need to be 100% at your best. That was always going to be difficult.

I don't think this game will have a massive baring on our season. Nor will the return fixture. It's a long season and there are no great signs of concern at this point. Anyone jumping on either extreme are just daft. This rollercoaster has only just got going. 

• Like 1

Well we lost but it’s absolutely beautiful to be lucky enough to spend a few days in Norwich. Off to Cromer tomorrow and looking forward to skate and chips. 

• Like 2

I don't think we played badly tonight; it was just a case of two teams trying to play in a similar manner and Leicester were just better at it than us, which isn't unexpected as they are the strongest team in the league on paper. Their bench tonight was absolutely ridiculous and shows what an embarrassment of riches they have at this level.

Leicester just had that little bit of extra quality and the 2-0 scoreline was probably about right. 

The lack of creativity and quality in the final third was a little concerning, as is the fact we've only scored twice in three games since Sargent got injured. Hopefully the past few games have been the anomaly, as opposed to the first few.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Leicester are a very good side who will likely win the league at a canter. We were a little unfortunate not to come away with a draw.

Funny you should say this Hoggy, exactly my argument the other day with Branston & Sheffield! When I said along with others we were lucky not to get pegged back by Stoke and I was told no luck just hard work! I asked how many times have we come away from a game saying we were unlucky or unfortunate not to come away with something! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

My question was, why was the goal Gibsons fault, which was the posters message.

It wasn’t really although he could have got back and tried to cut out the cross 

Can I just say the new bar in the Barclay is a giant waste of money. If anything it’s a downgrade on what we had before. Plus only two options of pies both of which are boring is not the one. And why do you have to pay for extra to get ketchup on your hotdog places had gone nuts. 

To be fair a lot of pantwetters on here had this game lost before it even started, probably a bit of forum damage limitation. Leicester were good but I thought Burnley and Swansea from last season were far better. We got what we deserved, nothing, from negative tactics.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't think we played badly tonight; it was just a case of two teams trying to play in a similar manner and Leicester were just better at it than us, which isn't unexpected as they are the strongest team in the league on paper. Their bench tonight was absolutely ridiculous and shows what an embarrassment of riches they have at this level.

Leicester just had that little bit of extra quality and the 2-0 scoreline was probably about right. 

The lack of creativity and quality in the final third was a little concerning, as is the fact we've only scored twice in three games since Sargent got injured. Hopefully the past few games have been the anomaly, as opposed to the first few.

I genuinely dont see how 2-0 was about right...penalty aside they didnt threat in the first half....the second half was mostly all us until they caught us on the break, 

I dont think there was much between the 2 teams and a 0-0 or 1-1 would have been about right...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

The two cameos he has played he lack’s energy, he doesn’t close down and certainly not a Sargent. There’s still time for him to impress but to me given he’s only got time in the second half he should be working his socks off! Just looks like an amateur in a pro league! But like I said he’s only just starting out so time will tell and hopefully he’ll click into gear.

But there is no suitable alternative as we didn't sign one. 

I was pleased with how competitive we were tonight. Wagner's brave man--to-man marking system largely nullified Leicester's threat.

Nevertheless, we don't look the same threat in the final third without Sargent leading the line.

• Like 1

I’ve been a tad deflated since the foul on Sarge by the keeper, sort of dreaded this fixture. In the end it wasn’t too bad, could of bagged a point, some spirit second half; but a nagging feeling from the off that the poise of the opposition was based on self belief. 

If we'd drawn on Saturday as we deserved to and drawn again tonight as we deserved to, we'd be one point worse off but we'd all be happy.

I was pleased with the tactical change in the second half and I thought Idah and Placheta did well when they came on. One poor challenge for the penalty was really the only difference between the teams in the end.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If we'd drawn on Saturday as we deserved to and drawn again tonight as we deserved to, we'd be one point worse off but we'd all be happy.

I was pleased with the tactical change in the second half and I thought Idah and Placheta did well when they came on. One poor challenge for the penalty was really the only difference between the teams in the end.

Agree, their second wouldnt have happened if we werent chasing the game in the final minutes,

4 hours ago, chicken said:

I see the usual folks are out in force to get the old underpant wetting ceremony going.

Leicester are very much still a team with premier league players. Evidenced by the fact that they had players on the bench with top level experience we would probably have in our starting line up. Players that we'd unlikely afford if we were in the premier league. A sense of perspective needed I feel.

Cast your mind back to two promotion campaigns under Farke, we won against the other top 6 sides rarely, but won the league. Now, I am not expecting that this season. But we have just played the best team in this league at this time, and a team that will have to have some major slip ups not to win the title. A lot of folks felt that before a ball was kicked in anger this season.

Now, if you are getting uppity about that, you are also likely to be one of the folks saying we'd be closer to relegation this season. Which means you are upset about the best team beating a bottom half team - you can't have it all ways.

Realistically, we are wanting a top six finish. Some folks are already writing that off despite our start being decent enough for that. We are miles better than last season and for periods of the game today we took it to Leicester and looked a match. Against that sort of quality though, you need to be 100% at your best. That was always going to be difficult.

I don't think this game will have a massive baring on our season. Nor will the return fixture. It's a long season and there are no great signs of concern at this point. Anyone jumping on either extreme are just daft. This rollercoaster has only just got going. 

We have lots of Premier League experience in our squad too don’t we? How many of ours last night have played in the top flight? You cannot use the excuse Leicester had Premier League players really can you? 

No great concerns either? Really? Our two main strikers now appear to be injured so surely that’s a major concern? 

Edited by TheBaldOne66
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chicken said:

There really are. Namely injuries to Sarge and Barnes. Without them we are toothless and weakened substantially.

I’ll make a bold prediction. No more than 10 points from here until January, assuming Barnes is out. 

Leicester were a step up in class and with the squad they've got should win the league easily, City played better than Saturday but simply don't have the players to change a game once behind. Losing Barnes is a major blow so it's now or never for Idah, Hwang looked a little lost when he came on but still early days.

I’m not giving the club leeway for “Hwang needs time”. We had lost our main striker with an obviously long term injury. We had a week to find a replacement. We knew we were going to sell Omobamidele. More resource should have been put into finding a replacement who we knew could cope with the pace of the championship and who brings the same kind of physicality and energy as Sargent. From what I’ve seen so far Hwang is not even the same type of player. 

8 hours ago, Indy said:

Just looks like an amateur in a pro league! But like I said he’s only just starting out so time will tell and hopefully he’ll click into gear.

To be fair that’s exactly what a lot of people, including me! Said about Sargent in his first season!

The problem is we haven’t got time for Hwang to settle in and acclimatise. We need him up and running now

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

There really are. Namely injuries to Sarge and Barnes. Without them we are toothless and weakened substantially.

I’ll make a bold prediction. No more than 10 points from here until January, assuming Barnes is out. 

That's not bold, it's stupid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Bold is underselling it a bit!

We play 18 League games between now and January. We've taken 13 points from our first 7 fixtures. You're suggesting we'll go from nearly 2 points per game to 0.55ppg. If we ended up on 23 points after 25 games as you're suggesting would be the maximum amount then we'll be firmly in a relegation battle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieNorfolk said:

That's not bold, it's stupid.

It's not just stupid, it's really f*cking stupid

The match reminded me of many we had in the Prem. Played mostly Ok but didn't take our chances (how many corners?) and got done eventually by a more clinical side.

Yes we deserved better but frankly we were out-foxed.

We are missing Sargent and sad news on Barnes too. Did Idah do much even when he came on?

12 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well we lost but it’s absolutely beautiful to be lucky enough to spend a few days in Norwich. Off to Cromer tomorrow and looking forward to skate and chips. 

Is it Mary Jane’s or No.1 today ? At least the weather looks good and you won’t get blown off the pier.. Have a great day.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

20 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Is it Mary Jane’s or No.1 today ? At least the weather looks good and you won’t get blown off the pier.. Have a great day.

Mary Jane's surely??

Anyone would think Leicester were Barcelona the way the muppets on here are creaming themselves over them. They were nothing special. A good team would have beat them last night. We were toothless. People banging on about Leicester being 'a Premier league team'. Burnley were twice as good last season. And look at them now! Leicester are a million miles from a 'Premier league team'. They ain't winning the championship. And we ain't finishing top 6 six.

You're welcome.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.