4 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

All in all, he did a good job and I was okay had he been staying, but I'm also not devastated that he's leaving.  His CV stands up as basically pretty good, but a long way short of McNally's who he slagged off relentlessly. He lacks charisma and his communication at times was bordering on disastrous - this will unfortunately be a big part of his legacy. 

The next guy through the door has a better financial situation than Webber inherited, but probably a weaker playing squad and doesn't appear to have a lot of very enviable youth players ready to come through that SW enjoyed but was not really responsible for.

7/10 for me.  Nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, but nowhere near as bad as some on here think either.  If I was a Leeds fan, I'd be sceptical of the appointment but willing to give him a chance.  It could go either way for him there.

No idea who we'll get but with the Attansio's directing things I feel more confident than if it was left up to Delia and co.

The problem is the Attenasios are not directing anything though 

• Like 1

I am really mixed on this news. I think he has done some brilliant things for the club and those two promotions with Farke are some of my favourite times as a canary (c45 years).

But I think things had got poisonous and it was time to move on.

But I wont be celebrating like some here...especially not without his replacement being know.

I'd love to know what Wagner thinks about it though! and that's my biggest concern, I'm not entirely convinced about him but we definitely need a manager who is confident in his position and can be brave rather than not being committed as he is worried he could be shown the door.

Certainly not a boring pre season!!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

All in all, he did a good job and I was okay had he been staying, but I'm also not devastated that he's leaving.  His CV stands up as basically pretty good, but a long way short of McNally's who he slagged off relentlessly. He lacks charisma and his communication at times was bordering on disastrous - this will unfortunately be a big part of his legacy. 

The next guy through the door has a better financial situation than Webber inherited, but probably a weaker playing squad and doesn't appear to have a lot of very enviable youth players ready to come through that SW enjoyed but was not really responsible for.

7/10 for me.  Nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, but nowhere near as bad as some on here think either.  If I was a Leeds fan, I'd be sceptical of the appointment but willing to give him a chance.  It could go either way for him there.

No idea who we'll get but with the Attansio's directing things I feel more confident than if it was left up to Delia and co.

I think that is generally very fair. I would mention what I assume was Webber's initiative, post Brexit, to create a proper scouting network in South America. I suspect we are ahead of most medium-sized clubs in doing that, and it seems already to have justified itself.

I wouldn't say yet that Attanasio is directing things, but the choice of Webber's successor is certainly a very big decision for him to get involved in.

PS; Just seen Jim's typically pessimistic assumption. Attaboy.  Attanasio probably isn't directing the club yet, not least since he knows he still has a lot to learn about football. still has a lot to learn about football. So it would almost certainly be a mistake if he was now in charge. But he will have a say.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"his leaving may create a better atmosphere for the players"

So it's not just us that hate him but the players? Good to know.

I don't hate Webber, he has made mistakes, but who hasn't made mistakes at work, the only difference is that his job is very public, but 99% of our supporters jobs aren't in the public domain so escape the same scrutiny. I fully expect some people to moan & tell me how wrong I am....But moaners will always moaners.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If we’ve had since the turn of the year you’d have to question why we do not already have someone in place now wouldn’t you? 

My god your pathetic desperation to criticise the club come what may knows no bounds.

This morning it was all raging about how Webber (who you wanted rid of) might be leaving and how it's so easy because clearly Zoe wrote him the contract and Delia doesn't know how to read.

Now it turns out we actually put 12 month notice into his contract so you move onto the next thing.

Then it'll be whatever new fabrication you can make up - and then ignore and backtrack and come up with something else when that doesn't suit.

• Like 1

Don't blame him.

Plus we get to become Premier League mainstays because anyone could do better than Webber.

As long as it's not the same anyone who could do better than Dean Smith.

15 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Says we are interested in Ryan Fraser on loan from Newcastle. 

Now if that came off it would be something of a coup.  Would be a quality player at this level.  There were a few Premiership teams trying to get him on loan last season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

My god your pathetic desperation to criticise the club come what may knows no bounds.

This morning it was all raging about how Webber (who you wanted rid of) might be leaving and how it's so easy because clearly Zoe wrote him the contract and Delia doesn't know how to read.

Now it turns out we actually put 12 month notice into his contract so you move onto the next thing.

Then it'll be whatever new fabrication you can make up - and then ignore and backtrack and come up with something else when that doesn't suit.

And despite Jim's oft-stated fear it definitely won't be Neil Adams as Webber's replacement...

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It seems our CEO/SD is as much a controversial post as any coach.

Doncaster, McInally, Moxey and Webber have all come in for as much venom as praise.

I am glad he is going. I gave up on him after the DF sacking, as much for the way it was done if truth be told. So many have said DF couldn't cope with the EPL and if that is true then neither could Webber. Of course, both had to make and mend with our model.

I have no animosity toward him and wish him well in his next job but glad to see the back of him.

From that list it was Doncaster I liked the least. He was just a puppet to Delia and MWJ. 

Interesting that he submitted his notice in March, when we still had a chance at the play-offs.

I also think that the replacement might have  already been identified. Why create a new Technical Director position for Neil Adams if things are not in develppment?

Have to say - having processed it a little, my initial reaction is not of surprise of his leaving, but how duplicitous it was of both the club and Webber to have gone through interview after interview, reiterating his commitment to the club and desire to return success and improve on the field, when the reality has been since March he's half way out the door.

It feels to me like something major has changed in the last few days to force Norwich to come out with this news. Either someone else being interested in Webber or we have someone else lined up. Otherwise I can't make sense of this at all. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 8

Mixed feelings too, I think we had reached a point where a move may be beneficial for all parties, but two Championship trophies and a training group upgrade is a decent CV to be fair.

However, as a Champs club, can we now realistically get a better replacement? Personally I fear not.

I also wonder if Webber had been given a little comms training, whether things could have turned out a little differently.

Timing suggests pressure from one side or the other. 

Resigns in March. Kept secret . 12 month rolling contract , so both parties under contract until March 2024. 

On June 13th , the day before the Transfer window opens , the resignation in March is announced. Webber has a press interview already lined up. 

Club has committed to some rather unusual signings that don’t appear to have the Webber stamp. More players will leave , we have already been told that Max is off, and we will need to replace them. Do we honestly believe that this will, or should be , left to an employee who is committing to leave? Why the interviews ? 

Webber won’t be held to his contract. It would be madness to do so. Webber may be agitating his way out here. 

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I wouldn't say yet that Attanasio is directing things, but the choice of Webber's successor is certainly a very big decision for him to get involved in.

He isn’t and he will. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segura said:

Mixed feelings too, I think we had reached a point where a move may be beneficial for all parties, but two Championship trophies and a training group upgrade is a decent CV to be fair.

However, as a Champs club, can we now realistically get a better replacement? Personally I fear not.

I also wonder if Webber had been given a little comms training, whether things could have turned out a little differently.

Of course he’s had comms training. The reality is he’s too arrogant to listen. Whether that be to the constructive criticism of PR people, or the fan base. 

• Like 1

Oh no, the Divorcies in the Snakepit have driven him out! 

27 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

7/10 for me.  Nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, but nowhere near as bad as some on here think either.

Yes, that is a decent end of term score and summary.... I noted that even in his resignation statement he talks about staff who have grown and developed. That's just reflected self- glory.

It feels odd him doing his mid May press conference and not even a hint that he was leaving. It now feels like he was giving himself a bit of justification for what he knew was coming by criticising the pressure and abuse from (some) fans. 

If he goes to Leeds (do we add 2 & 2 together?) it will be a club with a bigger ego than Norwich City. Then, many clubs have (and why I love my club too in some respects). That bigger club ethos is what he is searching for to match his own. Could be a decent match for him.

Assume the timing is to get this right out in the open now (and again I assume it's because of the increasing amount of media suggesting he is "in talks"). In other words, he was waiting to know where he was landing before telling people he was off.

I'm grateful for his time with us but like many am pleased that we will have no longer have an association with him. 

Now ...we have a really crucial appointment. Hope our recruitment is solid in this field.

Edited by sonyc

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Have to say - having processed it a little, my initial reaction is not of surprise of his leaving, but how duplicitous it was of both the club and Webber to have gone through interview after interview, reiterating his commitment to the club and desire to return success and improve on the field, when the reality has been since March he's half way out the door.

It feels to me like something major has changed in the last few days to force Norwich to come out with this news. Either someone else being interested in Webber or we have someone else lined up. Otherwise I can't make sense of this at all. 

I think you are spot on. We would have related till after the transfer window at least surely. I imagine it's looking likely he'll move on shortly.

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

And despite Jim's oft-stated fear it definitely won't be Neil Adams as Webber's replacement...

Jim promised me that would be the case because Delia is all about little Norwich? Has @Jim Smith made something up again? 

Also, ironically had plenty of arguments with people on here earlier in the year, where they said the only thing that would make them respect Webber was if he done the honourable thing and resign. That may have even been a Smithy line....

Turns out... 🙂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I wonder what Daniel's doing at the moment ... hmm...

Elton John has the inside story, looks like a job in La Liga.

I am probably in a minority but think that Webber did a good job an d should command more respect than he does. The trouble is that, understandably, fans have a short-term focus and for a club of our size to progress there has to be a long-term focus. In addition, there has always been the belief that the SD's role is mainly some sort of Chief Scout - of course this an element but the role is far greater than that.

In terms of the Championship we may be at a similar position to that which we inherited, but the football set up - training ground/ academy etc is stronger than it has ever been.

He legacy will help us for many years to come.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I am probably in a minority but think that Webber did a good job an d should command more respect than he does. The trouble is that, understandably, fans have a short-term focus and for a club of our size to progress there has to be a long-term focus. In addition, there has always been the belief that the SD's role is mainly some sort of Chief Scout - of course this an element but the role is far greater than that.

In terms of the Championship we may be at a similar position to that which we inherited, but the football set up - training ground/ academy etc is stronger than it has ever been.

You're right Stuart, I mean Badger 😉 But you are right in what you say. From a club structures position he has done well, but a good project manager could of achieved that. He does need to be applauded for the good signings and needs to take overall responsibility for some poor signings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

He did a good job delivered two of our greatest ever seasons.

So they are looking for a replacement. In the past loads of people on here have said they wanted Adams to take over, but does he have any experience as a sporting director?

You have to give some credit to Webber - Krul, Buendia, Pukki etc but he knows he’s very unpopular at the moment due to recent recruitment and to turn that round really we need to get promoted next season, then PL the survival after that. I think the reason his recruitment was so poor in the PL was because he didn’t have enough money to spend - you’d be incredibly lucky to get a PL quality player for under £10m now. 

What often amuses me about him though is when the other season he sent Rocky Bushiri out of loan to Hibernian with an option to buy. Although at the end of the season Hibs didn’t want to sign him permanently, they had to because of the number of appearances he’d made

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

He did a good job delivered two of our greatest ever seasons.

Agreed.

I hope his legacy goes the same way as Nigel Worthingtons. When Worthy left, most fans very much wanted him gone. He was definitely kept too long. But I think history has forgotten the bad stuff, and for me, Worthy is now properly remembered as a fantastic servant of this club who deserves his spot in our history books.

I really hope Webber is remembered for the absolutely incredible times he brought to this club and the massive improvements to our infrastructure he's personally led, as the modernising, transformational figure he's been rather than for the poor record in the transfer market and squandered opportunities to establish us in the top flight. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Why wasn't this announced during his end of season interviews just a few weeks ago if it has been known about since March? Seemed like he was staying on by what he was saying in those. 

Sorry but that’s not what I heard, I heard someone who had resigned himself to leaving 

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

I agree with you, the recent poor performance shouldn't tarnish his overall positive contribution to the club