• Currently serving a 12-month notice period having resigned in March
  • Club to appoint an external successor; Adams becomes technical director

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

And Adams will not be the successor. That is interesting. It suggests someone has been lined up.

Edited by PurpleCanary

You would imagine they have someone lined up and its probably a good thing its not Adams, he can remain in his position after any interim appointment.

"Webber informed the club's joint majority shareholders, Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones, of his decision at the turn of the year."
 - So the Board have known for 6 months ?

Radio Norfolk news said they were looking for a replacement externally.

Why wasn't this announced during his end of season interviews just a few weeks ago if it has been known about since March? Seemed like he was staying on by what he was saying in those. 

2 minutes ago, K Lo said:

"Webber informed the club's joint majority shareholders, Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones, of his decision at the turn of the year."
 - So the Board have known for 6 months ?

Radio Norfolk news said they were looking for a replacement externally.

Pretty common in a senior position to work a long notice period.

1 minute ago, alex_ncfc said:

Why wasn't this announced during his end of season interviews just a few weeks ago if it has been known about since March? Seemed like he was staying on by what he was saying in those. 

Maybe because he was negotiating contracts with the new players - I don't know if there is anyone else at the club that would do that. 

Sky reporting he's had an offer from La Liga. 

Good news all round, became far too poisoned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe wishful thinking on my behalf, but I would love Kieran Scott to come back & become our new Sporting Director.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

If only someone had started a thread on this an hour ago...

That was a thread about the speculation of him moving to Leeds and asking who should replace him. This however is an official club annoucment about him leaving😉

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Good 👍🏻.  Webber did some great things for the club, but when it came to recruitment, particularly at the top level, he wasn’t good enough. But the nature of the game is such that they can’t all work out. For me his real crime is the chip he carried on his shoulder and his general attitude. Unless he sorts both those things he’ll be in for a far tougher time at a club like, say, Leeds. 
The Farke sacking to then bring Smith in was also a clear failure. And personally I’d bring an end to Wagner’s tenure too. 

• Like 6

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

That was a thread about the speculation of him moving to Leeds and asking who should replace him. This however is an official club annoucment 😉

Sure. Keep telling yourself that.

• Haha 1

That Delia and MWJ statement tells you all you need to know as to why we will not have any genuine success with their pathetic little norwich attitude at the helm. All about “self funding” above all else. 

• Like 1

John Percy has an exclusive interview with Webber. It's behind a paywall. But here are the highlights.

1. League One infrastructure when he turned up. Academy ranked 82nd out of 92 for infrastructure. Now 17th. Will be top 10 when swimming pool done. No clue on what metric this is all judged on.

2. Said he feels like it's job done for him. Points to success club has had on the field.

3. Acknowledges criticism of him is "fair". Reiterates that abuse is not fair.

4. Comments that his leaving may create a better atmosphere for the players to play in and "that's a good thing". 

5. Article claims Roma are interested in Aarons. Says we are interested in Ryan Fraser on loan from Newcastle. 

Alot of what we've seen before. Some new stuff.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

John Percy has an exclusive interview with Webber. It's behind a paywall. But here are the highlights.

1. League One infrastructure when he turned up. Academy ranked 82nd out of 92 for infrastructure. Now 17th. Will be top 10 when swimming pool done. No clue on what metric this is all judged on.

2. Said he feels like it's job done for him. Points to success club has had on the field.

3. Acknowledges criticism of him is "fair". Reiterates that abuse is not fair.

4. Comments that his leaving may create a better atmosphere for the players to play in and "that's a good thing". 

5. Article claims Roma are interested in Aarons. Says we are interested in Ryan Fraser on loan from Newcastle. 

Alot of what we've seen before. Some new stuff.

"his leaving may create a better atmosphere for the players"

So it's not just us that hate him but the players? Good to know.

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

And personally I’d bring an end to Wagner’s tenure too. 

It does make Wagner's position a bit difficult. If we don't start the season we'll the new man will surely be tempted to bring in their own favoured manager 

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

"his leaving may create a better atmosphere for the players"

So it's not just us that hate him but the players? Good to know.

I think he's referring to the atmosphere at Carrow road. If his resignation came in March, that does coincide to when the chanting of we want Webber out began.

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

I think he's referring to the atmosphere at Carrow road. If his resignation came in March, that does coincide to when the chanting of we want Webber out began.

Hmm, yeah fair enough. Least he's self aware to know he's not popular mind

Not surprised, but interesting nonetheless that he doesn't mention the fans once in his statement.

For what it's worth, it wasn't his relative lack of success in the last two transfer windows that turned me against him.  Rather, it was the incredibly arrogant way he seemed to distance himself and the entire club from the fan base.  

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

It does make Wagner's position a bit difficult. If we don't start the season we'll the new man will surely be tempted to bring in their own favoured manager 

Whilst some on here feel that injuries are mitigation, I find it hard to make a case that Wagner should be starting the season in charge of our club, given the last 11 games. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scot-e-dog said:

Not surprised, but interesting nonetheless that he doesn't mention the fans once in his statement.

For what it's worth, it wasn't his relative lack of success in the last two transfer windows that turned me against him.  Rather, it was the incredibly arrogant way he seemed to distance himself and the entire club from the fan base.  

100% agree with this. The budget blowing was of course angering, but it’s sadly the nature of the game that some signings don’t step up to the level you need. But his attitude when questioned - and frankly mildly questioned - is appalling. 
The arrogance of that 90% interview with the Times too. 

He’s in for a rude awakening if he goes to Leeds and it doesn’t work out. He’ll know what real criticism is then. This was a mild workout. 

All in all, he did a good job and I was okay had he been staying, but I'm also not devastated that he's leaving.  His CV stands up as basically pretty good, but a long way short of McNally's who he slagged off relentlessly. He lacks charisma and his communication at times was bordering on disastrous - this will unfortunately be a big part of his legacy. 

The next guy through the door has a better financial situation than Webber inherited, but probably a weaker playing squad and doesn't appear to have a lot of very enviable youth players ready to come through that SW enjoyed but was not really responsible for.

7/10 for me.  Nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, but nowhere near as bad as some on here think either.  If I was a Leeds fan, I'd be sceptical of the appointment but willing to give him a chance.  It could go either way for him there.

No idea who we'll get but with the Attansio's directing things I feel more confident than if it was left up to Delia and co.

It seems our CEO/SD is as much a controversial post as any coach.

Doncaster, McInally, Moxey and Webber have all come in for as much venom as praise.

I am glad he is going. I gave up on him after the DF sacking, as much for the way it was done if truth be told. So many have said DF couldn't cope with the EPL and if that is true then neither could Webber. Of course, both had to make and mend with our model.

I have no animosity toward him and wish him well in his next job but glad to see the back of him.

• Like 2

If we’ve had since the turn of the year you’d have to question why we do not already have someone in place now wouldn’t you? 

I was trying to figure out last night why Webber had moved away from his usual transfer strategy and allowed the signings of 2 over 30 players. The fact that this has been in the works since March makes me think our transfers are predominantly manager led, hence they're players who are known to most of us and also experienced. Wagner is looking for 'experience' to give him the best chance at succeeding before the new SD comes in.

The fact that the board have sanctioned these moves when we could be less than a year away from a complete rebuild feels crazy to me.