17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If you are not alone in thinking Adams would not have been a good choice then he hardly qualifies as the natural successor. That the club have said he is not getting the job if anything suggests there has been some succession planning. It just doesn't involve Adams.

That's true, I think what I meant more is that someone in Adams' role should probably be able to step up. It's always a good sign that you're doing things well when you can fill things internally.

That's show our gratitude for Webber- and make a collection -for a new pair of climbing boots a nice warm jacket and finally a pair of ear muffs because the echo's of BOOs up the  mountain can be very loud and continuous  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, repman said:

That's true, I think what I meant more is that someone in Adams' role should probably be able to step up. It's always a good sign that you're doing things well when you can fill things internally.

I Think NA can step in to most of SW roles , i just think NA likes to be behind the scenes out of the limelight ,that was the reason he stepped down as manager ,

that was many moons ago but it seems the reasons for not wanting the limelight are still there ,he has a job for life at the club in one role or another without being in the limelight 

31 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

That's show our gratitude for Webber- and make a collection -for a new pair of climbing boots a nice warm jacket and finally a pair of ear muffs because the echo's of BOOs up the  mountain can be very loud and continuous  

But he ignores* the noise.

* takes pot shots at fans through the media and tries to fight them outside the ground

You sometimes have to be careful what you wish for... 

Webber made some hugely successful decisions, particularly early in his tenure. Bringing in Farke, Buendia, Pukki etc deserves much credit. However, it's notable that (in player terms at least) we've basically come full circle with only a couple of genuine assets remaining and likely to be sold. Whoever comes in will be inheriting an underperforming and overpaid squad, much as Webber himself did so it's fair to say that much of the good work has been undone.

But here's the crux: given the current situation, who on earth is going to be able to perform the role any better?

To me, the biggest hope of success would be to attempt to undo the damage done in the past 24 months by reverting to what worked so well prior to the inexplicable change of course that predicated the slump we're experiencing. To that end, letting Webber go is taking us yet further away from any hope of turning it around.

My suspicion (fear) is that the Championship title in 2021 was the absolute pinnacle of football at Norwich City for quite some time and we are now only in the mid stages of a significant decline. Webber will inevitably achieve greater success elsewhere when presented with greater means while we disappear into mediocrity for a decade.

Let's hope I'm wrong! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

You sometimes have to be careful what you wish for... 

Webber made some hugely successful decisions, particularly early in his tenure. Bringing in Farke, Buendia, Pukki etc deserves much credit. However, it's notable that (in player terms at least) we've basically come full circle with only a couple of genuine assets remaining and likely to be sold. Whoever comes in will be inheriting an underperforming and overpaid squad, much as Webber himself did so it's fair to say that much of the good work has been undone.

But here's the crux: given the current situation, who on earth is going to be able to perform the role any better?

To me, the biggest hope of success would be to attempt to undo the damage done in the past 24 months by reverting to what worked so well prior to the inexplicable change of course that predicated the slump we're experiencing. To that end, letting Webber go is taking us yet further away from any hope of turning it around.

My suspicion (fear) is that the Championship title in 2021 was the absolute pinnacle of football at Norwich City for quite some time and we are now only in the mid stages of a significant decline. Webber will inevitably achieve greater success elsewhere when presented with greater means while we disappear into mediocrity for a decade.

Let's hope I'm wrong! 

That’s a little short sighted Petriix IMO, it wasn’t even the pinnacle of the decade that preceded it.

Despite what’s happened the last two years to sour things, Webber has left a lasting legacy of his tenure. I don’t think he needed to go, but I can understand why he has.

Theres always a danger with any change, there’s multiple common phrases passed down through generations that remind us of that as you have alluded to.

Ultimately it’s change at the top that will likely to determine our long term fate and status IMO, I imagine if he’s serious about becoming our owner Mark and his team will be highly involved in recruiting Webbers replacement.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I really struggle with this point.

At the time they were absolutely fine for ownership of a Championship and Premier League team. It isn't their fault that football in 2023 is barely recognisable from 2011, let alone 1996. 

Totally agree. When they arrived it was pretty much the greatest thing that ever happened, as they saved the club from administration. Did we know that the market was going to get massively inflated in the future? Back then, a player costing £10m would probably be the equivalent of a player costing about £100m now. I fully understand their wish to pass their shares on to nephew Tom, but they have agreed to reduce their stake to about 40% so he doesn’t have full control. IMO the super wealthy owners are only worth having if they don’t want their money back. Look at the Glazers for example - billionaires but treat their club dirty

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Totally agree. When they arrived it was pretty much the greatest thing that ever happened, as they saved the club from administration. Did we know that the market was going to get massively inflated in the future? Back then, a player costing £10m would probably be the equivalent of a player costing about £100m now. I fully understand their wish to pass their shares on to nephew Tom, but they have agreed to reduce their stake to about 40% so he doesn’t have full control. IMO the super wealthy owners are only worth having if they don’t want their money back. Look at the Glazers for example - billionaires but treat their club dirty

We have zero evidence they have actually agreed to do that 

Interesting also that he was already working his notice at the time key decisions were made on contracts for the likes of Dowell and Pukki. Not saying the outcome would necessarily have been any different but you never know……..

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

It seems our CEO/SD is as much a controversial post as any coach.

Doncaster, McInally, Moxey and Webber have all come in for as much venom as praise.

I am glad he is going. I gave up on him after the DF sacking, as much for the way it was done if truth be told. So many have said DF couldn't cope with the EPL and if that is true then neither could Webber. Of course, both had to make and mend with our model.

I have no animosity toward him and wish him well in his next job but glad to see the back of him.

Simpletons look for who they think is the most senior person and make them scapegoats for everything. Simples.

That's why so many complain so bitterly about not having a CEO any more. It's harder to just point the finger now.

Best of luck to Webber in whatever he does next.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Simpletons look for who they think is the most senior person and make them scapegoats for everything. Simples.

Simpletons use the phrase ‘Simples’. A true vomit inducing term.

• Haha 4

Just now, Captain Holt said:

Simpletons use the phrase ‘Simples’. A true vomit inducing term.

I'd get checked out if I were you. Words shouldn't cause such violent physical reactions. There must be something wrong with you.

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'd get checked out if I were you. Words shouldn't cause such violent physical reactions. There must be something wrong with you.

Plenty!

7 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

You're right Stuart, I mean Badger 😉 But you are right in what you say. From a club structures position he has done well, but a good project manager could of achieved that. He does need to be applauded for the good signings and needs to take overall responsibility for some poor signings. 

People need to be reminded that he signed a player for nothing who went on to become the club's fourth highest goalscorer in its history.

Then he signed an Argentine player for a small fee initially who then went on to fetch £38 million later.

The boy from Brazil will probably work out the same.

Even Mr Chase would have been impressed by these pieces of business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Interesting also that he was already working his notice at the time key decisions were made on contracts for the likes of Dowell and Pukki. Not saying the outcome would necessarily have been any different but you never know……..

Not true - pretty sure it’s ‘fact’ that Pukki had a new contract to sign and decided to let his current one run down and leave.  Not sure we know about Dowell, but think they said they’d had talks - I doubt Webber’s situation was at all relevant.

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

Nonsense. It was Geoffrey Watling who stepped in to rescue the situation in the mid 90s. It was Delia who took the club to the brink of administration in 2009 before McNasty stepped in to save her.

9 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

People need to be reminded that he signed a player for nothing who went on to become the club's fourth highest goalscorer in its history.

Then he signed an Argentine player for a small fee initially who then went on to fetch £38 million later.

Are you feeling ok? That was extremely positive and complimentary of you!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

He would, but on the ratio of good vs bad, Chase would win hands down. Culverhouse, Bowen & Crook were purchased for a combined total of £180K. But he never gets the credit.

Had Chase bought 11 dogs like Webber did for the EPL, the fans would have gone nuts, but it shows the difference in desire between then and now.

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

Well lets hope that The Stowmarket Two dont sell their shares for more than what they paid then?? 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Webber leave football completely. His strengths are in corporate management and he could slot in quite easily to any number of major companies or even as a CEO at level just below major conglomerate. His weakness is in public communications and I'm not convinced about his man management skills.

As for a replacement, didn't Daniel Farke plan a career as a sporting director rather than a coach? It could be a major coup, albeit a risky one, to bring DF back as a SD. The fans would love it and give a big morale boost to the club.

All this clamour and belief that a new Webber and new Owners would suddenly take us from 2 title winning championships to consistent Premier League success must look so hilariously misguided to the outside world. And to a decent proportion of people on here.

It's almost worth having it all happen just so people realise football isn't that straight forward.

I really hope whoever comes in somehow defies all logic and does better than our current SD and owners but there is far more relatable evidence to suggest the opposite is likely. 

5 hours ago, king canary said:

That is rather dependent on who you see as our peers and how you define outperforming them to be honest. I'm not sure it is as clear cut as you might suggest.

Since they took over would you say we've outperformed the following clubs...

Birmingham City

Stoke City

Middlesbrough

Wigan

Of course. 

Those clubs in many ways are our peers, in some ways not. They’ve all probably had a lot more spent (i.e. lost) on them though. There’s many more.

Edited by Nuff Said

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

We have zero evidence they have actually agreed to do that 

Actually Jim we do. They agreed to and voted for the plan to create nearly 200,000 new controlling shares. And unless they buy them, and not even the dumbest anti-Deliaite thinks that is their intention, then their sale to someone will by definition reduce their holding to around 40 per cent. Thus ending their time as majority shareholders/owners.

In practice, of course, the plan is for Attanasio to buy the shares as the next step in what will become a takeover. That there has been a delay in him making the purchase is not because Delia has decided to thwart that plan - she has not - but for an unconnected and unforeseen reason.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Keeps her in the public eye, free drinks and something to do instead of knitting or boiling eggs. They are like a vindaloo/ale fart that just lingers on far too long. 

288D369D-23AA-46D5-98A7-78D6B186C5A2.thumb.jpeg.8c34b5433131295cebba2aaaad24d85d.jpeg

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well lets hope that The Stowmarket Two dont sell their shares for more than what they paid then?? 

You mean sell Attanasio an asset for far less than it’s worth? Do you really trust him with the latent profit in our club more than Delia and Michael? Is he more deserving to make money out of NCFC than them?

If you think so, that says all we need to know about your ability to look at facts and use logic rather than emotion.

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

288D369D-23AA-46D5-98A7-78D6B186C5A2.thumb.jpeg.8c34b5433131295cebba2aaaad24d85d.jpeg

Fantastic retort, take a bow. Any chance of something original? 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I cant quite believe he's still here if he's being linked / talking to other clubs, particularly clubs in our own league

Who is doing this “linking”? Media outlets. I don’t see why it’s any different to a rumour that one of our players is being looked at by another club. We don’t drop them if that happens. But it’s Webber so it must be bad, boo etc.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Fantastic retort, take a bow. 

Bowing as I type. Which is quite difficult.