cambridgeshire canary

**Official lappinitup match thread Cardiff v Norwich**

1 minute ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Officiating is atrocious! 

Totally agree, how on earth can he book the Cardiff defender for the foul on Pukki but then give us an "advantage" whilst our player is flagged offside???? 

• Like 3

As expected, our young inexperience centre-back is our best playmaker - like a young Virgil Van Dijk.

The rest...well.

How does he give them a yellow, stop our move but then not give us a free kick for that foul on Pukki? Bizarre. 

• Like 2

Well

its all a bit “first day back at school” isn’t it?scrappy as shït, need to keep the ball better need that better midfielder to drag all of their levels up. Hopefully we’ve already bought that player

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

How does he give them a yellow, stop our move but then not give us a free kick for that foul on Pukki? Bizarre. 

I guess because he played advantage? But then shouldn’t have stopped the play. Just not right.

Was fine. Weathered early pressure, have controlled the match from about 20 minute mark. They’ve not had any meaningful chances. 

They are getting loads of bodies behind the ball, fouling immediately if caught out. Not really surprised we haven’t had more chances.We look the better side. 

Set plays have been poor which is disappointing.

Could go either way, can see them nicking a goal or us getting one or two and seeing it out. Or a bore draw.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Obviously there's a long way to go but initial observations:

• Rashica and Sargent look just as good in the Championship as they did in the Premier League. 

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

...but you're not wrong. It's a long old season though - plenty of time to improve (or not...).

OTBC

19 minutes ago, Bovril said:

As expected, our young inexperience centre-back is our best playmaker - like a young Virgil Van Dijk.

The rest...well.

"He's our center half. 

He's our number 4 

Watch him defend, watch him score 

He'll pass the ball, calm as you like 

He's Andrew O 

He's Andrew O 

Ole ole ole, ole ole ole" 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Standard championship kick em style stopping us playing. I'm sure we'll counter it in this half. 

We need to up the pace on the counter, far too slow leading us to go backwards. Our speed of thought on the ball is really quite poor, hence our lack of creativity 

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Gonna say it (and risk a good laugh in it being hilariously wrong). I reckon Hugill might come of the bench to score off one of these set-pieces when we finally get one to stick.

I’d take that - in fairness worth swapping him for Sargent - let him get stuck in. We need a bit of physicality 

We definitely look the better/more composed side, but haven’t managed to work it through to  chances yet - in part down to some pretty robust defending from them and interesting calls from the officials. 
I believe we have a set-piece coach now, hopefully they can get to work as they haven’t been too threatening so far.

Edited by Branston Pickle

As Farke used to say - win the battle first and then let the quality rise to the surface.

We're in a good place here ... just need to ensure that we don't get frustrated and lose composure.

We are controlling this. Need to take advantage and win here. Front three need to pull their fingers out. 

So far so good.... but we seem to have the same inability as we had last season to take our chances. Only half time of the first game of the season  though.

7 minutes ago, kirku said:

It's a match thread, my posts will be 90% reactive nonsense and 10% jokes

To be fair they're more entertaining than the match.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

To be fair they're more entertaining than the match.

I'll take that as the ringing endorsement of my matchday posts rather than a critique of the first-class football we've all just witnessed that it's clearly meant to be

This team looks very solid though. Cardiff aren't getting much joy out of it and despite some freaking units on their side, they're hardly physically dominating us. Neither Lungi nor McLean have got a big burst of acceleration in them which is annoying as both clearly don't mind a bittier sort of game, but it is a problem when it comes to getting quick counters going.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Frustrating listening on radio Norfolk - we need to relearn how to score again- not sure if Sargent is the right sort of player we need on the pitch today perhaps bring on Hugill he might like to show the Cardiff fans what they are missing

• Like 1

I’ve deliberately watched this half taking a back seat, trying to make my fan eye retreat. I was more focussed on the tactics, and what we were trying to achieve. Frustrating half if you’re expecting instant results. I make no apologies for that statement, as, I did find myself getting frustrated and had to hold off. 
It wasn’t great but I can acknowledge what we were trying to do. 
We’re looking to have men behind the ball in key areas, and transition from front to back a lot quicker than Farkeball. 
It does feel like when we get the ball in transition that we have a lack of passing options, but I think that’s because we’re looking to stretch the pitch, without leaving the fullbacks exposed. So many caveats, though. Kenny and Sorensen being very disciplined. 
Sorensen dropping deep slowing Big Andy to run into the channel feels exciting. A lot more Bielsa (believe it or not) than Farke at Champ’ level,
Not very exciting, but I expect a few tweaks at half time. One being, calm it down a little. Cardiff haven’t really threatened us. Not seriously, and I put that down to our solid shape. 
The one player I want to see more from is Rashica. His pace could knit the front and back together, as there’s an emphasis on verticality. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Was fine. Weathered early pressure, have controlled the match from about 20 minute mark. They’ve not had any meaningful chances. 

They are getting loads of bodies behind the ball, fouling immediately if caught out. Not really surprised we haven’t had more chances.We look the better side. 

Set plays have been poor which is disappointing.

Could go either way, can see them nicking a goal or us getting one or two and seeing it out. Or a bore draw.

Ha. 
So you are predicting either they will win or we will win or a draw. Powerful stuff

• Haha 3

Just now, Hardhouse44 said:

Ha. 
So you are predicting either they will win or we will win or a draw. Powerful stuff

It wasn’t a prediction just a comment that the game could go anywhere based on current evidence, it’s finely balanced. Certainly not predicting a dominant win for either side.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

I’ve deliberately watched this half taking a back seat, trying to make my fan eye retreat. I was more focussed on the tactics, and what we were trying to achieve. Frustrating half if you’re expecting instant results. I make no apologies for that statement, as, I did find myself getting frustrated and had to hold off. 
It wasn’t great but I can acknowledge what we were trying to do. 
We’re looking to have men behind the ball in key areas, and transition from front to back a lot quicker than Farkeball. 
It does feel like when we get the ball in transition that we have a lack of passing options, but I think that’s because we’re looking to stretch the pitch, without leaving the fullbacks exposed. So many caveats, though. Kenny and Sorensen being very disciplined. 
Sorensen dropping deep slowing Big Andy to run into the channel feels exciting. A lot more Bielsa (believe it or not) than Farke at Champ’ level,
Not very exciting, but I expect a few tweaks at half time. One being, calm it down a little. Cardiff haven’t really threatened us. Not seriously, and I put that down to our solid shape. 
The one player I want to see more from is Rashica. His pace could knit the front and back together, as there’s an emphasis on verticality. 

Bang on. Top post. 

• Like 1