21 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

So that's most of last year's central midfield sent packing.

Only McLean and Sørensen remain.

Woefully ineffective, so you can see why. I wouldnt be adverse to getting rid of Sorensen as well. We've craved quality in the centre of the park for sometime, but we do need to assume Hayden / Sara are going to need time to find there feet and recover from injury / gain match fitnes and dare i say it now look a bit threadbare in the middle of the park. I would be surprised if we dont sign 1/2 more players in central Midfield.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

The reaction to PLM leaving just after Zimmerman's sums up the distance that has opened up between the club, the players and the fans. There's still real warmth for what is left of the 18/19 side; no affection whatsoever for last year's lot. 

True! But I very much doubt there would have been a very different reaction to any of Farke's original signings leaving after just one year at the club either (as some did and nobody remembers them). Indeed, there were a significant number of fans who had no warmth at all for Farke after that first season, and would have been happy to see him gone too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

So that's most of last year's central midfield sent packing.

Some say that Mclean pointed to the door for them all, allegedly! 

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Lad from Chelsea on loan to replace him then?

Hes going back to Huddersfield

I really think this is the sign for Gibbs to step up and earn himself a fair few games as a rotation option. He's looked the brightest of the youngsters in the pre-season matches for me, and if we're considering that we've got Hayden, Sara, McLean and Lungi, not to mention Cantwell, Dowell and Sinani could be heading towards the number 10 spot then I would question if our midfield really does look that thin. Especially when you consider the number of wingers we have - Rowe, Springett, Rashica, Sargent's not a typical winger but he looks like he's got a partnership going with Hugill already, and both of those lads will be dangerous if someone's lobbing crosses into the box.

We might have been sleeping a bit too much on Sinani as well. He strikes me as having a Hugill-esque pre-season in coming back with a serious point to prove.

EDIT: As for PLM, I think, particularly when looking at previous comments, he could well be a classic case of "didn't settle very well" with typical impact on performance.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

I am disappointed, I thought he was the best of our midfielders last year.  Bought to play left midfield in a 4 3 3 formation, instead did a job at CAM and CDM.

onwards and upwards, who is coming in?

21 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Just the £5 million. I expect commercially, it's a significant loss. 

That was £5m after all the add ons, it’s being reported we’re getting our money back for him

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Still wouldn't be surprised to see Rachica or sargent leave to be honest. 

I’d get rid of both if we could.

• Like 1

I thought he was pretty ordinary and I’m not that bothered if he leaves - he definitely didn’t have a big ‘engine’ and looked completely knackered after an hour of almost every game. I don’t thing he was really cut out for the English game and not really what we need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I really think this is the sign for Gibbs to step up and earn himself a fair few games as a rotation option. He's looked the brightest of the youngsters in the pre-season matches for me, and if we're considering that we've got Hayden, Sara, McLean and Lungi, not to mention Cantwell, Dowell and Sinani could be heading towards the number 10 spot then I would question if our midfield really does look that thin. Especially when you consider the number of wingers we have - Rowe, Springett, Rashica, Sargent's not a typical winger but he looks like he's got a partnership going with Hugill already, and both of those lads will be dangerous if someone's lobbing crosses into the box.

We might have been sleeping a bit too much on Sinani as well. He strikes me as having a Hugill-esque pre-season in coming back with a serious point to prove.

EDIT: As for PLM, I think, particularly when looking at previous comments, he could well be a classic case of "didn't settle very well" with typical impact on performance.

That’s heavy pressure on Gibbs mate. Sara and Hayden both need time leaving us Sorenson and McLean in that deep lying midfield position. 

It’s been quiet on that Sheff Weds player recently so not sure if that’s happening maybe @shefcanary can shed some light?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

It was reported as 4.something mill, and John Percy is saying City are understood to be receiving 3.5 mill for the sale of PLM, so its not a massive loss financially.

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

That’s heavy pressure on Gibbs mate. Sara and Hayden both need time leaving us Sorenson and McLean in that deep lying midfield position. 

It’s been quiet on that Sheff Weds player recently so not sure if that’s happening maybe @shefcanary can shed some light?

He's got to start somewhere. Why not with an experienced, battle-hardened Champ guy in McLean alongside him and a naturally more circumspect midfielder in Lungi behind? Also, don't forget that we've got five subs, so it's not hard to see the likes of Hayden and Sara get given 45-60 minute stints readily, safe that other substitutions are possible.

• Like 1

He was neither brilliant or terrible - he was 'OK' in every department; skill, fitness, injuries, attitude, value for money etc. 

Ultimately, not good enough for the EPL and too old to grow. Cutting our losses the right move. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's got to start somewhere. Why not with an experienced, battle-hardened Champ guy in McLean alongside him and a naturally more circumspect midfielder in Lungi behind? Also, don't forget that we've got five subs, so it's not hard to see the likes of Hayden and Sara get given 45-60 minute stints readily, safe that other substitutions are possible.

I agree with @TheGunnShow. We're allowed 5 substitutes this year, if we don't have room on the bench for a young player now who can come on to build his match experience, it's never going to happen. 

Mixed feelings. Cutting his wages will probably help but we now need another midfielder again, just when we seemed to have it sorted. Unless both Sara and Hayden are closer to full fitness than we realise - in which case it is Kenny and those two with Sorenson and Gibbs to fill in. But risky for a full season if injuries come calling 

22 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

It was reported as 4.something mill, and John Percy is saying City are understood to be receiving 3.5 mill for the sale of PLM, so its not a massive loss financially.

€4m according to transfermarkt so we're about wiping our nose (not including wages)... But they also list his value at 4.5m currently...

Edited by cornish sam

53 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The club of course never says, but the fee we paid for PLM I saw quoted was what we are supposedly getting back - around £3.5m.

Sad as I was expecting him to do great for us this season. No huge blow though as I think with Sinani, McLean, Sorensen, Hayden, and Sara should all do fine. Gibbs has also looked very promising in pre-season

After last season a complete rebuild.of the midfield was obvious to all, just McLean,Lungi,Rashica and Sargeant to ofload now.

Always got the feeling that he was a classic 'came for the Premier League' signing. He was fine- as fine as you can be in our midfield last year, but seems like whenever things went well he was in there.

No hard feelings, thought he would probably move on but was intrigued to see how he would do at this level all the same.

4-4-2 against Cardiff then; McLean and Sorensen. Hopefully another midfield signing very soon. Let's not lose sight that we're going for promotion here not mid table mediocrity.

57 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

The Wendy's are looking to buy a defensive midfielder - currently being linked with Tyreeq Bankinson from Bristol City. It could be a case of if they are able to do that, then they may be interested in letting the youngster out on loan. But otherwise, that trail has gone cold. Which given Webber's penchant for a surprise probably says very little.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Didn’t have many good games and always looked like a walking booking to me 

5 in 33 games and only 1 in the last 21? 🤨

Thought he could impress at Championship level but also not bothered at all that he's going. Chances are we'll replace him with a better player so I can't imagine it wasn't a hard call to make for Webber.

Edited by KeiranShikari