Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Down to the final 2

32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Robins.

Yeah, I'd be ok with that too.

Or Hodgson interim until Jan when guy from Norway can come in.

I wouldn't be averse to Lampard either.

2 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Gotta be Hodgson, Knutsen or Favre. 2 of those 3 right?

Roy Hodgson has retired and as he says here, it wasn’t an overnight decision after 45 years in management so I’m very confident we can rule that one out.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11706/12309876/roy-hodgson-crystal-palace-manager-to-leave-the-premier-league-club-at-the-end-of-the-season

3 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Roy is very very forward thinking. He was the first English coach to adopt European method management. He's managed all over the world for both club and country. He was the guy who recommended we switch to a Director of Football / Head Coach model.

Good response. Take the point. I do wonder, though, at his age whether he used to be forward thinking. As David Cameron told Tony Blair, you were the future once. 

Personally I'd be ok with Hodgson if he's genuinely up for it. But I imagine SW will be looking longer term.

• Like 1

I really hope it's not Lampard, but if it is I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it turns out a lot better than I think it will.

• Like 1

Who I don't want - Warnock (although I like him as a person) Allardyce, Smith, Pulis,  Hodgson, Bruce, Robins, Martin or anybody else who has had previous connections with the Club.

They are all either too old, too inexperienced or both

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 2

I think Lampard, who the BBC say is in talks, would certainly have the history to make us more attractive to players. But would Webber be happy to have someone as "monster" as him. And personally I don't think his time at Derby was a brilliant as everyone says. Derby were a play off team most years. But maybe a "name" in charge could just galvanise the club and supporters and give us hope.

I would be very happy with Favre as his style is attacking. But he is another coach in his latter years. And has to acclimatise to UK football.

I know nothing of Knutsen but obviously I do know he is a much younger man. But how strong and competitive is the Norwegian league?

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I’m not sure that either Lambert or Knutsen fit that description in the sense that neither are particularly experienced but I suppose it depends on what is meant by experience! 

Interesting thinking there Jim... 😂

4 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

How about Andre Villas-Boas. Available, premier league experience.

No. A pound shop Morinho. Not good in the Premier.

Last seen crashing a rally car into a sand dune.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I’m not sure that either Lambert or Knutsen fit that description in the sense that neither are particularly experienced but I suppose it depends on what is meant by experience! 

Surely that fist-pump when he was at Aston Villa rules out Lambert? It was great for a while, but it is time to move on.

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It will be someone who is currently out of work. We can't afford the compo.

Favre would be my choice.

Of course we can afford compensation if we were convinced that 'he' is the right man! Only a few days ago many posters were spouting that we would never sack Farke and his mates ................'because we couldn't afford to'. That didn't happen did it!

Can you imaging the Chelsea fans meltdown at their precious Frank coming here with their precious Gilmour 🤣 

In all seriousness I would happily take Lampard, his playing experience alone is more than most in the game and his name will command respect from younger players without even trying.

Chelsea were happy for him to be in charge when they weren't aloud to spend.... 

It’d never happen of course despite him having a good relationship with Delia and Michael, and a known respect for our club, but I’d love to see Arsene Wenger here for the season if he fancied the challenge.

Edited by Alex Moss

3 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Can you imaging the Chelsea fans meltdown at their precious Frank coming here with their precious Gilmour 🤣 

In all seriousness I would happily take Lampard, his playing experience alone is more than most in the game and his name will command respect from younger players without even trying.

Chelsea were happy for him to be in charge when they weren't aloud to spend.... 

Players respect a coach who knows what he's doing as a coach, not what he might have done as a player.

• Like 1

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Players respect a coach who knows what he's doing as a coach, not what he might have done as a player.

I beg to differ, if I was in that dressing room and I had one of England's best ever players in charge of me I'd be listening to what they had to say. 

There's a reason why people like Dion Dublin are "in charge" of a dressing room when they walk in, and that was without being a manager. 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Of course we can afford compensation if we were convinced that 'he' is the right man! Only a few days ago many posters were spouting that we would never sack Farke and his mates ................'because we couldn't afford to'. That didn't happen did it!

Thoughts on here were that Farke's compo was pre calculated. It wouldn't be as easy or as cheap to agree terms with a club who do not want to get rid.

I suppose Knutsen might be cheap, but maybe not. Coventry would want a hell of a lot for losing Robins, not that I want him.

Not sure Robins would leave Coventry - was recently reported how enamoured club and manager were with each other, a real connection. Yes we're a bigger club, but we could easily be exchanging divisions at the end of this season.

Scott Parker on the other thread, now there’s a guy with experience but no way would he jump from Bournemouth to a premiership struggling side with no budget!

I've been thinking about a couple of scenarios:....Knutsen will want to see out his final 4 games at Bodo Glimt (two against high placed teams, two against struggling teams) with the main season ending 12th December. Bodo Glimt are top and 5 points clear at the moment. They could be confirmed champions before.

Just wondering if a longer term appointment (2 or 3 years?) might tempt him. A chance to get into the English leagues at a club with similar values etc. Playing in the Championship would not put him off I doubt? 

Then there would need to be some kind of interim arrangement for about a month? 

Or...we will appoint someone who does have the form for keeping us in the PL. That would have to be someone like Hodgson. Not exciting but solid. This would only be a temporary solution if so (I believe). 

Then I've wondered if both scenarios could turn out to be possible.

Am I overthinking this? It is interesting to speculate.

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

How about Joachim Low, he must be itching to get back.

Scratch and sniff, no thanks.

I can’t be bothered to go back and quote it but Xabi Alonso Is not a bad shout.

Brilliant premier league player, has played under Some brilliant managers.

37 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Interesting thinking there Jim... 😂

Good spot! Sorry meant Lampard obviousl.