Sign in to follow this  
markdmhoward

My 6 year old son's first game tomorrow!

Excited to take him tomorrow! Regardless of what happens in the game itself, it's obviously a moment you look forward to as a dad.

What was your first live football game?

• Like 6

20th April 1999, day after my 7th birthday. Never forget going to CR with my grandad for nearly 20 years. I took my son to Gillingham friendly and he wanted to go home at half time. To be fair it was 8pm kick off and he's normally in bed at 630/7 being 4 years old.

Hope you both enjoy the day and game. Hopefully good memories to be had.

Edited by Ward 3
  • Like 1

My 6 yo will be going to his 4th game of the season. Don't think I'll be buying anymore tickets for him after the last game, but hopfully he'll be better tomorrow though. But all the best for your son tomorrow they love the atmosphere. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, markdmhoward said:

Excited to take him tomorrow! Regardless of what happens in the game itself, it's obviously a moment you look forward to as a dad.

Can he play CDM or do a job up top? 😛 

• Haha 5

My First Game was Against Liverpool Feb 1980 Yes that's correct the day Fashanu scored his wonder goal 

i remember it so well sat on my brothers and his friends shoulders

they would swap everytime one got tired so i could watch the game , 

even remember we parked the car down city road and walked down those steep steps 

Home to Swindon , April 22nd 1972 .Just hunted out the programme. A birthday present , I’d just turned 8 , with my lovely old Dad . We won 1-0 but I have absolutely no recollection of the game. I do remember crossing Carrow Bridge and hanging on to Dad’s hand as if my life depended on it , and having to wear a donkey brown jumper my Aunt Mary had knitted for my birthday. It was bloody enormous, much to the amusement of an uncle and cousins we bumped into . And getting home and hearing Dad tell Mum that I’d been a good boy and he’d start taking me to each home game the next season. Special memories. Made some more when I took my two sons to their first games when they were 7/8.

Hope you and your son have a great day Mark . 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, markdmhoward said:

My first game was Norwich V Man Utd, would have been late 70's early 80's. There was a lot of trouble after the game, a Man U supporter climbed on top of the Barclay End Roof and fell down onto his back on the concrete terraces.

Hope your lad enjoys the game, the Leeds fans are sure to help the atmosphere

First game was back in 2002 (I think) and I got to witness us getting thumped 3-0 by Cheltenham Town in the League Cup, seem to remember Rob Green handling a backpass and them getting an indirect free kick in our own penalty area, good times!

9 hours ago, markdmhoward said:

Good luck, at that age it’s all about enjoyment. Make sure to heap plenty of praise on him and lots of “thumbs up” during the game. 
I remember the first time I saw my son score a goal and it actually surprised me because I literally jumped several feet in the air with my hands in the air and realised I was just as excited as when Norwich score a goal! I hope you get to experience this too 😀

10 hours ago, markdmhoward said:

That's brilliant. Hope you both have a great day! 

Thrilling at that age to be amongst so many people for the first time - and the atmosphere today should be fantastic.

My first game was being taken by my Dad and Uncle to the 1985 milk cup final.  I was hooked completely.  First game at Carrow road was v Man City 0-0 and the Dutchess of Kent opened the ‘main’ stand that match. 
Few years back visited with my twin boys for their first game….it’s a very special moment, I hope you guys have a fantastic day!! 

Edited by Danbury Yellow

Mine was a reserve game, 0 0 in 1963, I was 3 so can’t remember that well but told by my dad I spent 85 minutes running up and down the River End steps.

My youngest son was 4 a Boxing Day again a 0:0. I sat in Barclay, my wife took him in the family enclosure. At the end he was telling me about all the goals, of course he thought the goals in the warm up counted.

My grandson ( a blues supporter I tried to convert ) sat there and every time the ball went in the air he shouted ‘ woah ‘, the higher it went the louder he screamed it.

11 hours ago, markdmhoward said:

1986 - 2nd home game of the season - Norwich 1 Watford 3. Bah!

Missed the first game of the season as we were on holiday in the Isle of Wight.

Hope you both enjoy your day, whatever the result.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

My first game was Easter Monday 1978 v Ipswich….not a great result for us but most of my family are binners so went away happy.

Looking at the weather right now it could be a bit of a wet one, depending on where you’re sitting!

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

My first game was Easter Monday 1978 v Ipswich….not a great result for us but most of my family are binners so went away happy.

Looking at the weather right now it could be a bit of a wet one, depending on where you’re sitting!

Early 70s for me against Man Utd. Can't even remember the result.

If in the lower rows you're in for a right drenching today.

Hopefully the performance and result will be what we want and we'll all be in good spirits.

10 hours ago, Mullet said:

My first game was Norwich V Man Utd, would have been late 70's early 80's. There was a lot of trouble after the game, a Man U supporter climbed on top of the Barclay End Roof and fell down onto his back on the concrete terraces.

Hope your lad enjoys the game, the Leeds fans are sure to help the atmosphere

The Barclay looked smart back then. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The Barclay looked smart back then. 

Wow amazing memories, pretty scary as a young kid. Thanks for the video

Mine was in the 1969 /70 season, but neither me or my parents can remember which one; I understand it was typical of that season that it was forgettable!  Lol, as they say, as he was the manager. 😁

I do remember that Man U match.  After it my mum and I were walking back to the car at County Hall, still in shock at what we had just seen, when a ManUre fan (about 14 or 15) tried to nick the scarves that were around both my wrists (it was the fashion then, I was 10).  My mum kicked him in the balls and he ran off screaming in a very high pitched tone!  🤣  Sweet memory.

• Like 1

0-0 against Newcastle at the end of the 85 season. Don't remember much about the game (did Norwich miss a penalty?) but do remember the crowd and the old red and blue seats in the South stand. Funny to think that everything except the River End has been rebuilt/replaced since then.

Hope you have a great day today. OTBC

Hope Dad & Son see a victory at home today - good luck

I had my first game with my Dad way back in 1971 - still a NCFC supporter since that game

13 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Home to Swindon , April 22nd 1972 .Just hunted out the programme. A birthday present , I’d just turned 8 , with my lovely old Dad . We won 1-0 but I have absolutely no recollection of the game. I do remember crossing Carrow Bridge and hanging on to Dad’s hand as if my life depended on it , and having to wear a donkey brown jumper my Aunt Mary had knitted for my birthday. It was bloody enormous, much to the amusement of an uncle and cousins we bumped into . And getting home and hearing Dad tell Mum that I’d been a good boy and he’d start taking me to each home game the next season. Special memories. Made some more when I took my two sons to their first games when they were 7/8.

Hope you and your son have a great day Mark . 

I had nobody to take me so didn't go til I was 10. I took my son when he was six, my daughter was older by the time I took her. They both still go and so do their kids. Three generations will be there again today. For us football is family.

Enjoy your day Mark.

OTBC 💛💚💪

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Mine was in the 1969 /70 season, but neither me or my parents can remember which one; I understand it was typical of that season that it was forgettable!  Lol, as they say, as he was the manager. 😁

I do remember that Man U match.  After it my mum and I were walking back to the car at County Hall, still in shock at what we had just seen, when a ManUre fan (about 14 or 15) tried to nick the scarves that were around both my wrists (it was the fashion then, I was 10).  My mum kicked him in the balls and he ran off screaming in a very high pitched tone!  🤣  Sweet memory.

Same season as me too shef! And nor do I remember which game it was either ☹️ ..... but I do recall that Man Utd game. I saw a few of their fans trying to push a parked car into the river walking to the ground. It was intimidating for a young lad like me. A Chelsea match later was arguably even more scary. 

I was lucky in the sense that my first proper season going to Carrow Road was 1971/72 and something never forgotten.

Two big memories from those early days at CR is the Graham Paddon goal from outside of the area in a 5-0 win (on YouTube)...think against Blackpool and Keelan folding his arms as a striker shot from the edge of the area which somehow hit the post and went in. Again, cannot recall who it was against. Keelan thought it was going wide!  I loved his arrogance and confidence. We could do with some of Keelan's edginess and b*lls this afternoon for sure.