JB

General Thoughts - How Do We Feel Right Now

As per the title. Are we positive, negative, hopeful, or perhaps like me, a little disappointed? I thought we'd lose tonight but losing the way we did just felt a little hopeless. Very little created ultimately against what was supposed to be a weakened Leicester team. I don't feel we deserved anything but because of that, I feel we should have worked harder to have actually deserved something. Discuss.....

I think we deserved a point today and if we perform at that level in every match we'll probably stay up, but only just.

On the one hand, it makes it better that the performance wasn't too bad as it makes looking ahead easier, but it's arguably more frustrating in the short term 

• Like 1

Disappointed by the way we concede, particularly the first goal, but encouraged by the chances we created, we did fire some shots but generally in the wrong direction!

Edited by Van wink

I feel that the EPL is no longer a sport, but a battle of corporate entities that belongs more in the Financial Times than it does the back pages of tabloids.

As a sports fan, I would rather we stayed in the Championship to defend our title than play in an arena that is more akin to WWE than a genuine sports competition. And I mean it.

• Like 6

I'm fine. Weve played 3 of the top 5 last season so far. There are 12 teams worse than Leicester to play plus the ones we were better than last season who came up with us.

We created plenty today. Sargent missed a sitter, and then Idah missed another. We also had one disallowed that was debatable (I think it was right decision but others dont). Win the game 4-2 and everyone is crowing about what a brilliant display it was.

We're a fickle bunch.

• Like 1

The same as prior to the season started, if we don’t get in a decent DM (and preferably a half-decent CB as well) then we will be relegated, it’s that simple.

Today’s game had all the hallmarks of our previous campaign. We huffed and puffed, failed to score from open play and never inspire confidence in keeping a clean sheet, especially if we persist in playing out from the back when the opposition are pressing high up.

Hanley as good as he was/is at championship level and fine in the air, is simply too slow (both literally and reading the game) at this level against Premier League strikers. Gibson has also yet to cover himself in glory.

They badly need a screener in front of them to help them out a bit. If we don’t manage to bring that player in, then it will be a long hard season.

Leicester were there for the taking today and we simply weren’t good enough at either end.

• Like 5

Leicester had 5 defenders out inured in Evans Fofana Vestergaard Justin and Bertrand...a 6th went off in Pererira. I fully believe probably 15 or 16 of the other Premier League clubs would have fully taken advantage of that today...some would have taken them to the cleaners i.e West Ham on Monday night.

Thats the most frustrating/worrying thing is that we couldnt.

..oh , that and the perfectly good 2nd equalizer chalked off by the corrupt Premier League

• Like 1

I thought we had a good game overall and deserved a point at least. I'm hopeful that we will start winning games soon. 

I'm not looking forward to Arsenal if Arteta is gone The new manager effect (or worse caretaker manager!) will prove deadly I reckon. 

Sargent and Rashica stood out today as players with fire in their belly. I look forward to seeing more of them. Gibson was rubbish and made a few mistakes, Hanley was a bit sluggish. 

It seems we need to work on less hesitation. I felt we were caught out by not pushing the ball up quick enough. 

• Like 1

Felt like the first goal should never have happeed and was a very bad case of deja vu and same old same old when it comes to our players aimlessly and pointlessly farting around in our own box and passing it around as the opponents close in on us so much faster than we were passing.. You could see it coming. It just felt inevitable... Seen it happen to us so many times before.. So much for Farke being all 'we will learn from our mistakes' huh?

Felt like we did get a little lucky with the pen, but was put away very cooly by Pukki. Had no idea what was going on with the whole Cantwell nonsense. Yes, he may have blocked the goalkeepers view slightly and he may have been offside..But he did not touch the ball or the keeper so not sure what that was about. Felt very, very down about it. Feel like we should have had a point and I feel that Idah and or Sargent should have had a goal.

All in all, same old same old. Been here before no doubt going to be here many more times this season.. But I still have hope. Somewhat. After all even though we lost it was no where as bad a performance like the other we had against Man City, so if we keep on improving game after game I do feel we can try and get something as we built and hopefuly start to gel more and play better.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Missed opportunity again at this level. Best performance of the season but still not creaming my YFronts just yet.

Give it an hour?

Much less confidant. I came into this season with a bit of blind optimism but our defensive and off the ball behavior has quickly eroded that away. I don't care whether Leicester are a good team or not, you defend as softly as we did for those two goals then even Championship sides will punish you. 

There's a lot that's out of our hands but we can control how we defend, our shape, how quickly we get back, covering for other players etc and off the ball we've been a bit of a joke in these 3 games. I didn't expect us to have an easy time of it, but I expected much better defending than we've seen, particularly if we're going to play on the counter more this year. We need to become harder to create chances against. 

Season is very young and new players to bed in so very much hopeful and waiting to see how it goes. Hoping Farke can mix it up with team selection and not just play the same players again and again.

Positive based on assumption of a decent CDM signing and perhaps another CB.

Even if we ultimately go down I think we’ll be more competitive than last time against the bottom half sides at least

To be honest gutted as I think without our own hand in their goals, we were good for a win today. Normally that would encourage me this early in the season, however I’m just terrified of the Sheffield United/our own project restart experience effect kicking in and it becoming this big deal of when Norwich will finally win a game.

Arsenal have been pants, but I still expect us to get nothing there, it’s a huge ask to go to their place and hope on getting our first win there. Its going to now put a huge pressure on the Watford game to kick start our season and they seem a bogey side for us of late.

It’s the next 3 days that could determine our season, 2 players from being able to sort out our formation I feel.

• Thanks 1

Very hard to say...first 3 games, yes played 3 of the top 5  of last season and we are not bottom, somehow Arsenal have managed to slip  to bottom  by a cats whisker. Anyhow, we need more time to summise whether there's a chance we can survive this season or not..which we will get, with the window not quite shut yet and no match for couple weeks...even then  another half dozen games  needed  at least to give us more  idea where the season is headed for us.

Disappointed in our lack of "nous"... Still not going down to give the team a break..still too nice...didn't take the chances we had.. gutted we didn't get the point we deserve.

Ta

A lot of the new season optimism has gone for me. I know we've played three of last season's top five, but we don't look like scoring from open play (and haven't) and we are conceding soft goals. Pukki looks isolated up front and we are crying out for a decent defensive midfielder. Lots for Farke to ponder.

Despite who we have played (and I know they are seriously high quality teams) i just fear players and fans alike are falling in to a trap of ‘here we go again’,  it makes everyone nervous, and a few requiring regular changes of of their now unlucky match day pants. 

We just need a win along with that illusive CDM!  Simple right? But I’m confident once we all see we can compete, there is a very solid Norwich team here that should only improve over the next few weeks.  My pants remain dry FYl. 

Edited by Danbury Yellow

Very downbeat. Today has hit me hard. Not just because we lost but the manner of the loss against a team I think we could have beaten. Just had so many echoes of 2 years ago with all the same flaws killing us despite promise at times. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Very downbeat. 

Quelle surprise. 

We've played 3rd, 1st and 5th (and FA Cup winners) in the last three weeks. I expected us to get 0 points. I am not surprised to be sitting here with 0 points. My view is that we were unlucky today not to get a point. I remain of the view that with pre-season as it was, with new players still getting settled and with (according to all signs) still business to be done, we can remain open minded. 

Edited by TheGoogler
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Despite who we have played (and I know they are seriously high quality teams) i just fear players and fans alike are falling in to a trap of ‘here we go again’,  it makes everyone nervous

This is one of the biggest worries for me. These defeats don't do much for the confidence and we can easily get stuck in a rut that's tough to break out of.

I think we're getting closer. Would like to see another signing come into defensive midfield who is more of a tackler, or indeed Sörensen given his lead (he was one of the Covid-hit so no wonder Farke's not letting him go all the time, not to mention Gilmour's really in to play the deep-lying role differently).

I expected ****-all by this point of the season, and we were close to a point here. We've had a pre-season where two seasoning games were missed, several of the team were affected by Covid testing and a couple indeed got hit with it. We've had to put half a new team together in very little time, and are not as fit / well-drilled largely due to said Covid-related matters. And to make things even more entertaining, we've played three teams in our first three games who were in the top five last season.

There are signs it's clicking into place slowly, but individual errors are just a bit too common for us to get our rewards. But I think we're getting closer.

Feels a bit like our final matches last time we were in this league. Also not sure we have clicked as a team yet.....which I can kind of understand with a lot of new players coming in and our best two players having left... Which I wonder if this has affected some of the players confidence/mood too? Pukki looks a bit lost as do some of the others, can't quite put my finger on it. Part of me is already thinking a season back in the Champ with most of this team wouldnt be so bad. 

• Like 1

Whilst I fully appreciate that we’ve played 3 of the best sides in the league, I’m not confident in the slightest. I thought we were poor today and looked toothless going forwards, and incredibly shaky defensively (Gibson in particular was really poor). I went with my non Norwich supporting mate who was shocked by how little we created when attacking.

We’ve improved the squad, but tactically we look limited at the moment, and unless we beat Watford I genuinely think we’re down. All pre-season optimism has depleted and I’ve been reduced to cold realism. 

Edited by Hoolahoop14

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I feel that the EPL is no longer a sport, but a battle of corporate entities that belongs more in the Financial Times than it does the back pages of tabloids.

As a sports fan, I would rather we stayed in the Championship to defend our title than play in an arena that is more akin to WWE than a genuine sports competition. And I mean it.

Nabbed. Another fan who would rather be in the Championship. I tell you Norwich fans just don't want to be here. End of.