JB

General Thoughts - How Do We Feel Right Now

29 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Perhaps you were expecting too much Jim. I started the season with no illusions and fully expected a long hard relegation scrap and that means yesterday was just about par for the course. Until we take a more pragmatic approach to defending this will always be our fate in this league. 

We will be applauded  by neutrals for playing some nice stuff but it won't keep us up. I desperately  hope to be wrong but so far the signs all point in one direction.

Is it expecting too much though Ricardo to expect them to have addressed our issues from last time with Webber abd Farke both having said they’ve learnt lessons? I expected a relegation battle, but I expected us to have addressed these things and become more pragmatic as you rightly suggest. I don’t think that’s too much to expect is it? I find it truly baffling that we are now scratching around in the last week of the transfer window trying to sort what should have been the top priority and also that we still can’t defend set pieces and naively give the ball away in our own half too much.

• Like 1

How do I feel atm?   Disappointed but not downhearted. Yesterday was an indication that we have a bit more about us this season and also that certain players are going to be more effective than those that were here last time in the PL.   Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis are clearly (imo) going to be a big deal for us - and Kenny is continuing his improved form and will be more influential than last time. 

Todd has yet to be as effective as I think he can be imo and we need an extra player in central midfield which will help Gilmour play how he wants to play - and that ought to be Todd.  So more of a 4411, otherwise we will see more goals like Leicester's second goal. 

A harsh start, but again, spread throughout the seaon, these results would not be seen as a disaster.  It suggests to me that when we get a run of games where we can start putting one or two results together and get a bit of momentum, we will all feel a bit more encouraged.  

So this start could be a blessing in disguise - a chance to bed in our new players in games which we might have lost anyway and look forwards to a time when we start to make inroads to this league. Early days.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Is it expecting too much though Ricardo to expect them to have addressed our issues from last time with Webber abd Farke both having said they’ve learnt lessons? I expected a relegation battle, but I expected us to have addressed these things and become more pragmatic as you rightly suggest. I don’t think that’s too much to expect is it? I find it truly baffling that we are now scratching around in the last week of the transfer window trying to sort what should have been the top priority and also that we still can’t defend set pieces and naively give the ball away in our own half too much.

I think Farke and Webber know what they need. They just cannot attract the players. 

“Come and play for Norwich. We are favourites for relegation and will insist on a relegation clause “.

Our targets are also the targets of other clubs. We are not alone in employing data ,  European contacts and generic scouting networks . 

Everyone knows our defensive set up isn’t premier league quality . What we do about it isn’t quite so easy. 

On 29/08/2021 at 09:46, Jim Smith said:

Worth the wait? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Worth the wait? 

I would say that it now gives us a better chance of competing. A good window so no excuses on quality.

On 29/08/2021 at 09:46, Jim Smith said:

What's the other option?

Buy players who aren't as good as our targets?

Kabak and Normann probably didn't want to join us at the start of the window but since there are no other takers, we're now their best option.

As much as I have criticised us and believe we are still naïve in our approach, we cannot knock this transfer window.

What is baffling is that the transfer window doesn't close before a ball is kicked.

17 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

What's the other option?

Buy players who aren't as good as our targets?

Kabak and Normann probably didn't want to join us at the start of the window but since there are no other takers, we're now their best option.

As much as I have criticised us and believe we are still naïve in our approach, we cannot knock this transfer window.

What is baffling is that the transfer window doesn't close before a ball is kicked.

My opinion too, I've never understood that and I think it is wrong.

At least this time we have added some players and tried to have a go in the transfer market. But it will be a relegation scrap that's for sure . Atm I'm anxious as most of our fans are and we need a good result ... asap. Getting players in this late is not benefitting us either, it will take time for them to get to know each other and Farke's way of playing...

On 28/08/2021 at 22:32, canarydan23 said:

I feel that the EPL is no longer a sport, but a battle of corporate entities that belongs more in the Financial Times than it does the back pages of tabloids.

As a sports fan, I would rather we stayed in the Championship to defend our title than play in an arena that is more akin to WWE than a genuine sports competition. And I mean it.

Totally agree with this. It’s very hard to see the EPL as a competition these days

2 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Worth the wait? 

On the face of it good signings. I’m certainly not going to complain about them given I’ve wanted these positions sorted all summer. Let’s hope we can bed them in quickly snd they don’t need two months to get up to speed. We need to start winning some points. 

1 hour ago, ROBFLECK said:

My opinion too, I've never understood that and I think it is wrong.

At least this time we have added some players and tried to have a go in the transfer market. But it will be a relegation scrap that's for sure . Atm I'm anxious as most of our fans are and we need a good result ... asap. Getting players in this late is not benefitting us either, it will take time for them to get to know each other and Farke's way of playing...

Yes I agree although as a premier league club and therefore a “poacher” this season it helps us. Very unfair on clubs being preyed on for players though 

47 minutes ago, Grantham yellow said:

Totally agree with this. It’s very hard to see the EPL as a competition these days

As a lifelong Norwich fan, I find it desperately sad that the club has fans that don't want to get promoted. It's a disgrace. 

The EPL is far from perfect, but it has the highest quality of players - by some margin - and any club that is in it should try the best it can to succeed. 

What the EPL shows is Norwich's ultimately doomed self funding model at the highest level and it needs owners that put the club first and not stifle investment. If we want to be at the very least a semi permanent fixture in the EPL, we need money and fans that want to be there. On current evidence with some previous comments, we have neither. 

5 minutes ago, komakino said:

As a lifelong Norwich fan, I find it desperately sad that the club has fans that don't want to get promoted. It's a disgrace. 

The EPL is far from perfect, but it has the highest quality of players - by some margin - and any club that is in it should try the best it can to succeed. 

What the EPL shows is Norwich's ultimately doomed self funding model at the highest level and it needs owners that put the club first and not stifle investment. If we want to be at the very least a semi permanent fixture in the EPL, we need money and fans that want to be there. On current evidence with some previous comments, we have neither. 

Dear me…..Last time I checked we were not relegated on Saturday,  reading some posts it sounds like we were, utter madness of doom and gloom. And how many clubs have spent £50m plus this season, go take a peek and see where we are in the investment table.  

I doubt there isn’t one of us fans who doesn’t wants us in this league, you tell me anyone of us who wouldn’t celebrate when we are mathematically safe, and then watch us build the team further with more quality additions for the following season, getting further ahead of Weat Brom, Fulham plus one other who comes up and then clubs like Burnley and Newcastle who are in downward spiral. 

On the cusp of something amazing here, I suggest we calm down and enjoy the season watching the team gel and certainly improving their performances week in week out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Dear me…..Last time I checked we were not relegated on Saturday,  reading some posts it sounds like we were, utter madness of doom and gloom. And how many clubs have spent £50m plus this season, go take a peek and see where we are in the investment table.  

I doubt there isn’t one of us fans who doesn’t wants us in this league, you tell me anyone of us who wouldn’t celebrate when we are mathematically safe, and then watch us build the team further with more quality additions for the following season, getting further ahead of Weat Brom, Fulham plus one other who comes up and then clubs like Burnley and Newcastle who are in downward spiral. 

On the cusp of something amazing here, I suggest we calm down and enjoy the season watching the team gel and certainly improving their performances week in week out. 

The only “komakino” I know is a song by Joy Division (I had it on a long lost flexi disc) which seems appropriate for this poster’s viewpoint. Given a glass (more than) half-full they want to start a fight with fellow fans who are saying we’ve just bought what looks like a tasty half pint with the rest of the pocket change we had.

I’d file them with Big Vince and the rest and ignore them as they’re clearly on a wind-up.

That flexi is worth a few bob now! 

I want Norwich City to be as high as they can in the EPL, not just staying there - although I would take 17th with open arms. But I sadly do know of fans that would rather us be in The Championship and if you trawled through message boards over the years you will find there are or were others. 

I remember when Norwich fans used to moan if we were not in the Top Ten - now that's more like it!

There is not one player in our squad who can consider themselves to be a nailed on certainty to be picked.  Even players like Aaron's, Krul, Canywell and Pukki now have someone challenging them for the shirt.  That means no room for complacency and the competition can only be a good thing.  I think there is still some way to go for the team to gel and there maybe a few disappointing results along the way but I think there is enough potential for this squad to do well. Farke will have his work cut out to bring this all together quickly. He's going to earn his corn over the next few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

There is not one player in our squad who can consider themselves to be a nailed on certainty to be picked.  Even players like Aaron's, Krul, Canywell and Pukki now have someone challenging them for the shirt.  That means no room for complacency and the competition can only be a good thing.  I think there is still some way to go for the team to gel and there maybe a few disappointing results along the way but I think there is enough potential for this squad to do well. Farke will have his work cut out to bring this all together quickly. He's going to earn his corn over the next few weeks. 

Its what he wanted, competition all over the park, its his job to manage that. A great position to be in for us,  every confidence in Daniel to deliver.

To quote Rowan Atkinson from the 80s; "it will be finger licking good or ar4se wiping bad". I'd bite your hands off 17th even now, and will be devastated if we can't survive with this squad.