Graham Paddons Beard

Zimmermann out for Preston

1 minute ago, Jakarta Canary said:

I would try Giannoulis as CB and Sorenson as LB. That gives a left footed CB with Hanley.

Giannoulis already has a few question marks over his defensive instincts, Sorenson plays LB too "safe". Sorenson a much better fit for CB IMHO>

37 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Let's not rush, they've been proven wrong for 85% of the season and there's every chance our results won't suffer for the remaining 15%

When you go into a season a man or two short, you're highly likely to be fine for the majority of the season; it's just that when you get an injury or two, you're bang in trouble. It's lucky that such a predictable situation has happened now rather than a few months ago when it could seriously have detailed the season.

Questions have to be asked how the hell this has happened... with one CB already out for the season..and another playing 3 games in a week on international duty, they should be wrapped in cotton wool

12 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Giannoulis already has a few question marks over his defensive instincts, Sorenson plays LB too "safe". Sorenson a much better fit for CB IMHO>

Fall fan CW?

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Questions have to be asked how the hell this has happened... with one CB already out for the season..and another playing 3 games in a week on international duty, they should be wrapped in cotton wool

What annoys me is that players have been dropping out “injured” left right and centre and I am keeping a keen eye on Everton this weekend, as two magically were “injured” after the same game

• Like 1

This could only happen to us, couldn't it?

Step up Tetts, Sorensen and possibly the doubtful return of Quintilla 

17 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Fall fan CW?

Eh? I don't think Giannoulis is quite up to Sorenson's standards when it comes to defensive positioning or awareness. He's got a great record at LB for us but if we have to play someone out of position at CB, I'd prefer it to be Sorenson.

First and foremost, I'm gutted for Zimbo. He's waited all season for a chance to stake his claim for a place in the team and he gets injured straight away. 

I'm sure they already have plans, but this should heighten the need to buy a fourth CB for next season. Having players who 'can' play there isn't good enough in the PL.

As we usually have 60%+ possession in games, it would make sense to play Sorensen at CB, as he has the ability to play out from the back and play through/around a press. My only concern is that he isn't the strongest aerially, as he proved vs Blackburn. 

26 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I do tend to agree. Its yet another injury in training and given we knew we only have two fit CBs and one would be playing international games you would hope that they would have treated Zimbo with kid gloves last week. Its annoying that he appears to have picked up an injury that will keep him out for several weeks. 

1 hour ago, PHILIP COOK said:

Daily Mail saying Burnley are targeting Dale Fry for around £10 million this summer, thought he looked good against us this season. Think he would be a good signing for us at that price, we need to have three first choice CBs and a couple of decent back ups, as we found out last season.

£8m of that will be what we're paying them for Gibson (provided we get over the line)

Its a chance for others to stake their place and prove they can do a job even if slightly out of position. Reminds me slightly how  Godfrey came in !

Whatever I'm confident.

• Like 1

Maybe we’ll just revert back to our previous promotion tactic of all out attack. 

Zimbo is out for Preston -> he's out for the season -> Tettey will play -> Tettey's a liability -> there goes our chances of going up -> club's a joke -> sell all our CBs

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 4

Shame this isn’t an April fools joke and feel so sorry for Zimbo - if ever he had a chance to re-assert himself it was now...

I’d happily see Sorensen or Omabamidele play .... whether I’ll feel so happily about it afterwards remains to be seen.....

1 hour ago, CanaryChris said:

Honestly he's done his dash here. These last 8 games were his final chance to prove he may still be useful. It is unfortunate he has picked up this injury but really he has got to be moved on in the summer and at least two high grade cbs bought in for the PL. Yes we will be playing PL next season.

I think this is fair- clearly the injuries have affected him, he's not the same player he was in the last promotion season. Fine as a back up/stop gap at this level but the frequency of the injuries are increasing and its tough to know if he can be relied on. Obviously a nice guy and seemingly a big dressing room character but shouldn't be more than 4th/5th choice next season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

3 CBs for one of the most rushed, gruelling seasons in Championship history was never going to be enough. Annoyed that it's happened now, but entirely predictable.

Couldnt agree more. We've known about this for a long time, but they always think well theres always Alex Tettey or someone else who can play out of position there.

Looking forwards to seeing Sorensen playing on the left side CB, with Hanley returning to his preferred right hand side.  It means excellent distribution from the back, which will help us keep posession for long periods. Sorensen is a class act and can probably play any position asked of him.

• Like 5

We are only missing the ‘4th’ CB in all but name.

Sorensen has played in this position on quite a few occasions, and is probably even better suited to covering this area of the pitch than he is at LB. And we all saw how well he did there. So we might not be quite as defensively sound as we were, which is understandable given we’ve lost Gibson, but we’ll do plenty enough to get across the line. Even if we didn’t, Swansea and Brentford will not win all of their games and realistically that means we probably only need 3 wins to go maximum to see Kenny cracking open the Mad Dog in a few weeks time. 

For what it’s worth, I can’t think of another club in this league that sports 4 top notch central defenders in their ranks either. And that speaks volumes in itself.

• Like 1

It's Sorensen time he has at least played there Danish U23's.  Proven as stand in LB so proves he has some defensive nous.  Unfortunately height has now become an issue at set pieces which was shown against Blackburn.  Now Daniel has let the cat out of the bag PNE game plan will change to isolate the rookie CB whoever it is.

Just have to outscore the opposition something we have failed to do winning by only the single goal might need to score 3 or 4 to win matches.  8 points in final 8 ought to be enough for automatic a defeat tomorrow will start the butterflies 

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Whatever, we will overcome it. Its not good news but as Tony Soprano would say "what can you do"

Though Tony S would also have sent Paulie Walnuts round to the ref before the Preston game to make sure things went the way he wanted...

• Haha 1

Sorensen has some CB experience so I think he’ll replace him. If not I would probably play Omabamidele, as although he has barely any first team experience, it’s his natural position and it would at least give him some experience.

11 minutes ago, pete said:

It's Sorensen time he has at least played there Danish U23's.  Proven as stand in LB so proves he has some defensive nous.  Unfortunately height has now become an issue at set pieces which was shown against Blackburn.  Now Daniel has let the cat out of the bag PNE game plan will change to isolate the rookie CB whoever it is.

Just have to outscore the opposition something we have failed to do winning by only the single goal might need to score 3 or 4 to win matches.  8 points in final 8 ought to be enough for automatic a defeat tomorrow will start the butterflies 

He’s played for his previous club side there too on even more occasions, Pete 👍. He’ll do just fine, in fact he’ll do more than fine. More concerned that we can’t give Grant a rest tomorrow, as I was hoping we could after seeing him play 3 games in 8 days prior to Preston.

Edited by Alex Moss
*previous

Please let it be Sorenson or the young lad. The weight of expectancy to remain fit weighs firmly on Hanley's shoulders.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I love Tettey but I'd rather we play one of the U18s at CB than ever see Tetts there again. 

I thought Tettey did ok at CB, lets not forget that was in the Premier League too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I thought Tettey did ok at CB, lets not forget that was in the Premier League too.

So hes even older now! 

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Would imagine that Sorensen will be the next in line to play at centre back. 

Tettey I’d have thought.