Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

2 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

When we’re all allowed back to Carrow RD and an opposition striker is bearing down on our goal I’ll strike him with a lightning bolt.

I'm all for the hugill signing ,he offers us something different ala ,grant holy ,iwan roberts type of striker ,fingers crossed this happens.😄

3 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

He’s probably going to be a substitute and come on every game in the 94th minute 

Don't be so negative ,we don't know whether the old pukki will come back ,or how idah develops ,so let's show a little faith.😃

I do love these contract discussions as it keeps me amused, however, no one on here actually knows what he is on today at West Ham, no one on here knows what West Ham want for him, no one on here knows what we have offered to West Ham to buy him and no one on here knows what wages we have offered.

Appreciate that some on here seem to be in a lot of self belief that they are the most knowledgeable person on everything football but the reality is that it's just speculation.

It's good to see though that there has been some progression for some though as this time last year some were claiming that a player gets the remainder of their contract paid up when they leave irrespective of what the new contract is that's offered.

To add my what if view, if the numbers are true and his contract length is only a couple of years, I'm sure the offer of a longer contract but on slightly less money is appealing as in 2 years time and at 30 years old he may struggle to get anything like what we may or may not be offering.

• Like 1

Hugill would be a great signing but I doubt we will get him due to our inability to compete financially. Already press reports to say QPR are in pole position. Pity as we are severely lacking upfront, as was painfully exposed last season.

10 hours ago, Bill said:

all of that is conjecture...... if

what is fact however is that he has a contract with WHU, and he has the right to sit it out' as with Naismith

if he stands by his contract the amount liable of the remaining term will have to be paid

whether by WHU, or an equal contract from City, or some combination of payment from both

the point is it is the discussion that always happens in these situations

the above post does not change that reality, whatever variables are thrown into the mix

Is this thread available in paperback?

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Hugill would be a great signing but I doubt we will get him due to our inability to compete financially. Already press reports to say QPR are in pole position. Pity as we are severely lacking upfront, as was painfully exposed last season.

I'm not sure if finances is why QPR are said to be in pole position for Hugill.  From the report I saw, West Ham want Eze and Hugill would be used as a makeweight to get him and that's why QPR are in the driving seat

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

QPR are surely in a far worse financial position than Norwich City. Yes, QPR have some very rich owners but after splashing the cash spectacularly a few years back they are much more constrained now. They missed out on Nahki Wells in January because they couldn't compete with Bristol City. Norwich, having very sensibly resisted extravagant spending last season, must now have plenty in the coffers. It is possible Norwich won't want to break their wage structure however.

It does seem ridiculous that a club recently relegated from the premier league having spent virtually no money can not compete with QPR.

Whilst I generally approve with the prudent approach Webber is taking he has promised he will actually give Farke some ‘weapons’ to allow us to have a real go at getting back up. 
I like the look of signings so far but still very much a case of players with promise we definitely need a couple with proven ability.

of course that still doesn’t guarantee that performance will happen but it is more likely.

Edited by rock bus

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

It does seem ridiculous that a club recently relegated from the premier league having spent virtually no money can not compete with QPR.

Whilst I generally approve with the prudent approach Webber is taking he has promised he will actually give Farke some ‘weapons’ to allow us to have a real go at getting back up. 
I like the look of signings so far but still very much a case of players with promise we definitely need a couple with proven ability.

of course that still doesn’t guarantee that performance will happen but it is more likely.

Norwich can compete with QPR - it is just that West Ham want a QPR player so would prefer Hugill to go there with Eze coming the other way. That desire for Eze would mean that West Ham might be more flexible paying off Hugill. 

Also - QPR would probably want Hugill as their starting striker (although the fact they just signed a striker does complicate that) whereas Norwich want him as back up. It doesn’t make sense for Norwich to pay as much for a back up as another team might pay for the their first choice player. 

I think the QPR thing might be a bit of bluff from West Ham in order to try and get more out of Norwich. Swap deals are incredibly rare and hugely difficult to sort out. 

• Like 1

Who said anything about not being able to compete with QPR?  The suggestion is that West Ham want a player that they have so it may signal a deal can be done; also remember the guy was there last season and who knows, might’ve enjoyed it and/or might prefer to stay in the same area.  It’s not just black and white.

47 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Hugill's been linked to QPR for ages. If anything, I'd suggest it's the other way round: we've gone in for Hugill and QPR have subsequently signed Lyndon Dykes, who's a very similar type of forward.

46 minutes ago, rock bus said:

It is a ridiculous assertion + totally false. QPR immensely rich owners have learnt their lessons from their profligate failures of the past and recognise that success is more likely to come with financial discipline. 

Their 2019 accounts (the last available) show their wage bill as £24 million - less than half of ours (which included promotion bonuses). At 69% wages to turnover, their wage bill was one of the lowest in the championship.

If they have any advantage in the discussions, it will be due to West Ham wanting one of their players or the fact that Hugill, currently London-based anyway, may prefer to stay at a club where he was on loan last year. After years of being loaned out, he might prefer some stability.

Why do many assume that a rich owner pumps endless money into transfer fees and wages?

QPR have Mittal as a shareholder but haven't splashed the cash. Barnsley stayed up because of points deductions and have one of the wealthiest owners in the whole of football.

Some of these owners didn't make their money by similar means to football which in the main is a loss maker. Many are pretty ruthless and fairly uncaring about human rights, workers rights and level playing fields. To be honest, I have no real idea what their motive actually is.

I remember the lady who took over Reading for a while and her motive was the massive redevelopment that was taking place in Reading.

And many of the owners do not stay for too long whereas we may be considered paupers in terms of owner wealth, it has been constant for nigh on a quarter of a century.

Got to laugh, when it looked like he was coming in the reaction was a bit Meh, now he might go QPR he is the missing link in a promotion push and a stick to beat the club.

West Ham obviously want to eke out as much cash for a player they bought but never thought good enough. The player wants his contracted Prem wages. Prestom probably due some installments. If QPR want/need to overpay thats up to them, but it doesn't mean we should be taken for a ride.

If he comes in I bet he will be back to Meh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think its likely this is West Ham trying to force the price up or hope QPR come back in for a bidding war. Lets just remember that Webber said; We won't be the biggest spenders but we also won't be able to hide behind the lack of finance as an excuse, we will be competitve. This isn't the situation where its the fee being the issue, and we appear to be capable to competing with wage demands too. I think it gets done.

9 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Got to laugh, when it looked like he was coming in the reaction was a bit Meh, now he might go QPR he is the missing link in a promotion push and a stick to beat the club.

West Ham obviously want to eke out as much cash for a player they bought but never thought good enough. The player wants his contracted Prem wages. Prestom probably due some installments. If QPR want/need to overpay thats up to them, but it doesn't mean we should be taken for a ride.

I hope QPR get him. He is not the missing link.

9 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Yeah it seems an odd one to get too worked up about. He doesn't excite me but if we sign him, great, if we don't we move on.

2 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

Is this thread available in paperback?

If it is it will be in the fiction section of the local library in alphabetical order of the author so just look under the letter B.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Any word on the Gibbson situation? Seems that one has been pushed on the press backburner... 

I listened to an interview with Ben Gibson and he said his future would be decided in the next ‘few weeks’. It doesn’t suggest anything imminent is likely.

From the reports I think it is all parties waiting to see who blinks first. Burnley want a permanent deal, but no one is prepared to pay all of Gibson’s wages and Burnley are prepared to subsidise them (whether through a loan or a pay off). 

Until someone changes their mind then Gibson will stay at Burnley. Could quite easily imagine he’s there right into October. 

43 minutes ago, BigFish said:

What forum did you read that on? There was plenty of positives on here

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah it seems an odd one to get too worked up about. He doesn't excite me but if we sign him, great, if we don't we move on.

I'd quite like to see him sign but i'm not too bothered if it's specifically him - I'm just happy we're obviously looking at a 'different' forward option with a bit of experience. I think we need that but it doesn't exclusively have to he him.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd quite like to see him sign but i'm not too bothered if it's specifically him - I'm just happy we're obviously looking at a 'different' forward option with a bit of experience. I think we need that but it doesn't exclusively have to he him.

To clarify my positon. I also am happy that we are looking at a different option and would like someone who causes different problems to what we currently have; just not that donkey!

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Same for me- although if it comes down to a choice between Hugill and Rhodes then Hugill will suddenly be player I'm desperate for us to sign 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

.......Appreciate that some on here seem to be in a lot of self belief that they are the most knowledgeable person on everything football but the reality is that it's just speculation.........

Hold on there! Surely you know that Bill is the all knowing doyen of... well everything. Remember his triumph in telling us all for years how Brexit wouldn’t happen so... whoops, oh beggar!

• Haha 1

As long as we get a striker and a centre half who offer an improvement to what we already have, I will be happy. Their names are not important to me until they sign.

6 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Hold on there! Surely you know that Bill is the all knowing doyen of... well everything. Remember his triumph in telling us all for years how Brexit wouldn’t happen so... whoops, oh beggar!

You're assuming that I'm referring to Billy Boy, I cannot confirm nor deny with whom I was making reference to 😁