Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He commanded that salary having had his good season for us and broken into England squads. If he wants to move here he's going to have to accept that his star has diminished somewhat since then and accept a lesser contract.

But he still has two years left of that contract, so it's highly unlikely that he's going to just accept a 50% pay cut in order to go from not playing at Southampton to not playing at Norwich.

21 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Gunn would need to improve dramatically to be considered good enough for a Prem team - I don’t know what happened to him after good season at Norwich but he’s been fairly woeful since then. 

Sounds like the perfect sort of signing for Farke to turnaround! 

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But he still has two years left of that contract, so it's highly unlikely that he's going to just accept a 50% pay cut in order to go from not playing at Southampton to not playing at Norwich.

Disagree. You're looking at this too short term.

I'd come back to a club offering me the number one shirt in two to three years, where I knew the management, had links to the area and knew I'd be welcome back to the club with open arms.

Better that than risk waiting out your contract with nothing but dodgy loan moves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

He was excellent considering his age, but I'd agree he looked average to decent for Championship level overall. If he hasn't improved or gone backwards since then that's concerning. 25 is still very young for a GK though and we'd still be looking at him more in terms of his potential. He would be a very high caliber second choice for a lower PL/top Championship team though, almost to the point I don't think he'd sign for us to play that role

I can’t see him signing and would rather get either of the free keepers on offer. Spending a lot of money on a backup keeper isn’t what we need!

• Like 1

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Disagree. You're looking at this too short term.

I'd come back to a club offering me the number one shirt in two to three years, where I knew the management, had links to the area and knew I'd be welcome back to the club with open arms.

Better that than risk waiting out your contract with nothing but dodgy loan moves.

Personally, I wouldn't halve my wages to join a company just because my dad used to work there and they might like me a little bit more.

And Gunn is 25 now, and for a footballer, two or three years is a long time. Is it worth halving his wages and sacrificing two years of his career on the bench, just because he might end up as a Norwich number one eventually? He'd better off sitting tight on his £40k a week at Southampton, getting a loan to a Championship club who might split his wages with his parent club and playing regular football.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Personally, I wouldn't halve my wages to join a company just because my dad used to work there and they might like me a little bit more.

And Gunn is 25 now, and for a footballer, two or three years is a long time. Is it worth halving his wages and sacrificing two years of his career on the bench, just because he might end up as a Norwich number one eventually? He'd better off sitting tight on his £40k a week at Southampton, getting a loan to a Championship club who might split his wages with his parent club and playing regular football.

Christ. It's not going in is it? I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or not so this will be my last post on the matter.

I said nothing about Angus being the son of Bryan. I was referring to his previous loan spell here.

And two or three years is a long time in football for anyone except a goalkeeper who can play at the highest levels until they're 34, 35 or 36. 

Getting a loan to a championship club has really helped his cause this year, hasn't it?

🙄

13 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I can’t see him signing and would rather get either of the free keepers on offer. Spending a lot of money on a backup keeper isn’t what we need!

I thought that we had a stable of young promising keepers in the pipeline that we are proud of. Oxborough, Mair and Barden.

What's the point in persisting with these whilst spending a fortune on a 'keeper who rejected us for Man. City, who then used him for profit, probably to the regret of Southampton, and who some clearly doubt in any case?

We don't even know the outcome for Nyland yet.

Money could best be used elsewhere, imo. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Spot on. He’s not going to go to a club on the off chance that he might become their number 1 in 2 or 3 years, when he can likely become a number 1 right at another club right now! Unless he wants exactly the same situation but with the bonus of being on half the wages ha ha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Christ. It's not going in is it? I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or not so this will be my last post on the matter.

I said nothing about Angus being the son of Bryan. I was referring to his previous loan spell here.

And two or three years is a long time in football for anyone except a goalkeeper who can play at the highest levels until they're 34, 35 or 36. 

Getting a loan to a championship club has really helped his cause this year, hasn't it?

🙄

I understand your point completely. I just totally disagree agree with it.

I'm sure if you ask a non-Norwich fan, they'd think it was a pretty bonkers career move to halve your wages in order to join a lower club and still not actually play.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I understand your point completely. I just totally disagree agree with it.

I'm sure if you ask a non-Norwich fan, they'd think it was a pretty bonkers career move to halve your wages in order to join a lower club and still not actually play.

I'd think most Norwich fans would think the same Wacky but I get what you're trying to say.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

I thought that we had a stable of young promising keepers in the pipeline that we are proud of. Oxborough, Mair and Barden.

What's the point in persisting with these whilst spending a fortune on a 'keeper who rejected us for Man. City, who then used him for profit, probably to the regret of Southampton, and who some clearly doubt in any case?

We don't even know the outcome for Nyland yet.

Money could best be used elsewhere, imo. 

Exactly! 

I agree, but we need experience. I think we need to convince Nyland it’s worth it. 

Barden deserves to be number three, but a decent loan won’t do him any harm.

Unless there is an injury to Krul or Nyland pre season I can't imagine we'll be signing another keeper to warm the bench.

Gunn wouldn't be a bad signing long term but we a need a bit of short term thinking just one season. Money to be spent elsewhere and plenty of it.

Why cant we concentrate on areas where we really need to bolster. Sick of reading all of those about Angus. If he came as no 2 it's fine but if not they ho.

Let's talk about other potential targets

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Unless there is an injury to Krul or Nyland pre season I can't imagine we'll be signing another keeper to warm the bench.

Gunn wouldn't be a bad signing long term but we a need a bit of short term thinking just one season. Money to be spent elsewhere and plenty of it.

Nyland isn’t signed up for pre season

10 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Nyland isn’t signed up for pre season

Not yet no.

Not clear whether it's because he doesn't want to be backup, or the money on offer.

Either way I'm not sure if that increases the chance of getting Gunn or the Brighton keeper really. Probably same outcome.

12 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Exactly! 

I agree, but we need experience. I think we need to convince Nyland it’s worth it. 

Barden deserves to be number three, but a decent loan won’t do him any harm.

McGovern's signed a two-year contract, so he'll be number three in all likelihood. Suspect Barden's getting a loan. I've said Bolton would be a good club to join under Evatt's style of football and they've just got promoted to League One, so a ball-playing Champs or League One side would be a good move for him, I think. Alternatively, he could go Dutch...

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

McGovern's signed a two-year contract, so he'll be number three in all likelihood. Suspect Barden's getting a loan. I've said Bolton would be a good club to join under Evatt's style of football and they've just got promoted to League One, so a ball-playing Champs or League One side would be a good move for him, I think. Alternatively, he could go Dutch...

We tend to send our keepers into the leagues here. The outfield players go Dutch for the footballing knowledge.

We have actively said that we are looking for a number two and my point is, I’d take Barden as no.3 over McGovern. But I get the experience idea of keeping McGovern.

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We have actively said that we are looking for a number two and my point is, I’d take Barden as no.3 over McGovern. But I get the experience idea of keeping McGovern.

I don't get keeping McGovern unless all of the other younger ones like Oxbororough, Barden and Mair go out on loan.

On 14/05/2021 at 19:32, TheGunnShow said:

At the same time, as we were so hamstrung with missing centre-halves the attack was always going to be compromised as a result. Sometimes I think people see them too separately instead of more holistically. We were always going to struggle in attack with so many defenders out simply as there was no foundation on which to build.

I very much agree.

In the beginning of 19/20 season, the PL opposition was unprepared for Norwich offense. Think about Newcastle, ManC and how well we did against Chelsea. We scored against Liverpool's world class 19/20 defence.

Once they got our number - inevitable after the massive ManC win - they realized two things:

1 Pukki is surprisingly difficult to manage.

2 They didn't have to. Just don't let him get the ball.

This equation was straightforwardly solved by pressing high and continuously - applying pressure to our inexperienced and technical fullbacks. Our CB calamity left Lewis and Max exposed and without cover they were unable to progress. Thus, the ball stayed on our court. When Teemu got it, he was often unsupported. This lead to demoralization and contributed to exhaustion - mental and physical. It took him months to recover fully.

The thing is, I understand why Farke pushed Teemu on the field. He isn't that prone to injuries; He has excellent stamina and there's hope he wears out defence, opening a late scoring opportunities; and he is important part of defence due to his continuous pressing and threat - obvious against decent sides when he's absent. Good luck replacing that under £25-30M.

We simply can't afford another striker like that.

The solution could be strengthen our midfield and defence instead, trying to lift our whole line higher without losing too much defensive cover. This alleviates need for Teemu's runs and gets more players in positions to score. Also, 0-0 is always a possibility against any team. You don't need Pukki for breaking the game and parking the bus against Liverpool or ManU.

39 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We tend to send our keepers into the leagues here. The outfield players go Dutch for the footballing knowledge.

That's the whole point, as in theory McGovern being here frees up the youngsters for quality loan experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's the whole point, as in theory McGovern being here frees up the youngsters for quality loan experience.

I know, that’s what my last sentence is about.

20 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I know, that’s what my last sentence is about.

Fair enough, I'm just saying having Barden as number 3 is probably counter-productive to his development as really, he needs games at his age and stage of development.

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fair enough, I'm just saying having Barden as number 3 is probably counter-productive to his development as really, he needs games at his age and stage of development.

Definitely, I should have been clearer. I think he is a better keeper than McGovern. A bit of experience and he will defo be our number two soon.

If we're looking for an ex to sit on the bench next season what about John Ruddy? Lives in the area and I think is available on a free this summer