Mr Angry

Martin Peters RIP

Martin Peters has passed away age 76. Never saw him play for Norwich but remember seeing him on the TV before he joined us. Class player.

A true gent, a lovely footballer - remember watching him from the river end as a kid on my crate, sad demise of a top man.

Our best ever player-could play in any position. He introduced new aspects to the game. 

Watching him play increased my love of football, we are honoured that he came to play here. 

Best player to have pulled on a city shirt. So pleased to have had the chance to see him play from the terraces. Such a shame to leave so soon.

• Like 1

R.I.P, watched him play many times,  the best player I have seen regularly in the yellow shirt and probably the best to ever do so

Edited by andy cousins
  • Like 1

Certainly the top player to ever wear a City shirt in my lifetime. Imperious in the air and on the ground as a scorer and creator of goals.

• Like 1

Before my time, but clearly the biggest transfer coup this club has ever pulled off. A world class player and world cup winner who was only a year or two past his peak. Equivalent would perhaps been Rooney going to Derby from Everton (rather than via a Mickey Mouse league). 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

So sad. As others have said the best player ever to wear a city shirt. A former Spurs player too and I'm sure there will be an emotional appreciation next Saturday 😪

I saw him play for us as a young lad a number of times and though I probably did not really appreciate it he turned out to be a legend.

He absolutely oozed class and always looked comfortable on the ball. That was an era when you could have greats such as him turn up for clubs like us as they were not paid the stupid sums of today. Never going to happen again unfortunately.

RIP Norwich and England legend.

Watched Martin Peters play for West Ham a number of times as a kid. In his Forties he’d have made a far better pundit than the dross we see now. 

I hope he had a rewarding life - 12 men went to the Moon, 11 men won the greatest sporting prize - one had the privilege to pull on the green and yellow shirt  - Spirit of ‘66

RIP. A privilege to have watched him play for all his clubs,without a doubt the best player to play for city. He was so tactically good on the pitch he was John Bonds manager on the field,as he would make decisions for him, and John was ok with that as he had so much trust in him.The best £50,000 spent in football.

The most technically gifted footballer ever to play for us. RIP Martin and it is fitting that Spurs are our next visitors at Carrow Road when i am sure a reflection of his time with both clubs will be heartfelt and sincere.

Another true legend who spent his last years living with dementia. 

Martin Peters was my all time favourite and best Norwich City player. He also was the most unbelievable signing. A definite I must be dreaming moment. And I still don't know how we got him.

RIP Martin Peters you will never be forgotten.

1402146069_image(1).jpg.c685ff84da10e2f1e386e66d904403ae.jpg

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

I had the privilege to be friends with his son Grant when I was growing up. Martin was such a nice loving father and a welcoming person. I will always remember him sitting next to his swimming pool getting a tan. Thoughts to Grant and the rest of his family.

Sad News and my sincere condolences to your family and friends, the classiest player I've ever seen in the green and yellow, the opening goal that he scored in the 1980 3-5 defeat to Liverpool has always stuck in my mind even though "The Fash" got the headlines for his equalising goal.

Thanks Martin and may you now Rest in Peace.

Seems a bit hard to believe to be honest. I was living in NZ when we signed him and automatically wished I had never emigrated. As has been said, a scoop to get a WC winner playing for us.

I fear for many of us, these occasions are going to happen with greater frequency.

Probably one of the greatest ever players to wear the city shirt. Some fantastic memories, a really gifted player. RIP Martin, and thank you.

I was living abroad when this great player wore our shirt.  What a wonderful signing he was.  So sorry he was another who suffered from dementia in his latter years.  Hopefully he is now at peace.  Condolences to his family and friends.  RIP Martin.

Even towards the end of his career his class shone out like a beacon.

I remember being at St. Andrews in an FA Cup game. We were 1st.division and Birmingham City were, I believe lower. Peters was a substitute by then.

When he was brought on in a stalemate I remember a young Brummie fan behind me saying, "Fancy being able to bring on Martin Peters as a substitute."

MP responded with either a goal (?) or at least a vital assist.  

He then went on to play over thirty times for the Blades at a lower level. Having achieved everything in the game he must have just enjoyed playing whatever the level.

A true city great ,made such a difference to the team,and a lovely person off it.we could really do with a player like him now.a pleasure to say I watched him play .a sad year for city with Duncan ,Ron  and now him leaving us .RIP 

12 hours ago, Wroxham Bridge said:

Sad News and my sincere condolences to your family and friends, the classiest player I've ever seen in the green and yellow, the opening goal that he scored in the 1980 3-5 defeat to Liverpool has always stuck in my mind even though "The Fash" got the headlines for his equalising goal.

Thanks Martin and may you now Rest in Peace.

This was the match that I thought of too

Amazing player who never seemed to break sweat!

One of the best if not the best player I've seen play for Norwich and at a time when he was supposedly winding down his career. - A true measure of how good he was in that he played 200+ games for us in this "indian summer" spell and in my opinion could of had another couple of seasons playing for us but was tempted by the manager job at Sheffield United!