During the game Kenny also did the same to several of his team mates, as did Gibson - are they morons too?

Sunderland covered an enormous amount of ground defending closing and harrying. And they were generally aerially dominant (c70%) meaning the long diagonals were less beneficial than usual.   Add in plenty wasted runs by the fb when open because we delayed the pass it's easy to see why the fans and players alike were frustrated.  It wasn't pretty or us totally dominated but we found a way.

We ground out a win when not at our best and significant injuries.   Onto the Riverside to keep the unbeaten run going

I think at 1 point off the playoffs we really need to stop any booing when following the rest of our teams matches. Sunderland were crap, we were not much better, we won...all that matters at the moment

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

McLean in a two man midfield against anything other than champs mid table cannon fodder, rarely impresses. 

In a three, where he can be more combative, or at centre half where he can maraud forward, suits him better. 

Really????

Go and check out our midfield line up in our two recent victories against Coventry and West Brom.

I'll save you the bother - Kenny was playing in midfield in both those games!!!!

23 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I was there today and you weren’t, 100%.

Are you actually for real

58 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The concept of recycling possession and creating angles whilst a team sits in a low block is absolutely beyond the comprehension of these fans (see Buh on this thread as an example) and the only emotion they know how to express is general anger in the form of a boooo.

This unfortunately is it. Most teams try to do it and we are not too bad at it in this league. However, there are people who go to the games who literally have no idea what they are watching tactically wise, yet will criticise the minute it doesn't go as they feel it should. Bizarre 

• Like 7

Kenny (and Sara occasionally too) does frustrate me when we drop into a back 3 in possession. Ultimately though I think this is a coaching/tactical issue.

A lot of the time when we did it today Sunderland didn’t take the pressing bait at all, instead setting up shop in a block asking us to play through. By dropping an extra man in front of them we’re basically subtracting a possible forward pass option. There’s obviously an issue that if Kenny doesn’t drop then we’re left with Gibson/Hanley to play through the lines, Gibson has been able to do that in seasons past but whether he still can is another question. Even so, Kenny/Sara could easily pull out wide and find space, we just feel so predictable in our movements and teams are aware by now.

What it leads to are either passes played through with too much pace or at a horrible height, rendering them uncontrollable and therefore the attack breaks down. It also leads to plenty of balls over the top, obviously today one of them led to the goal, so not all bad I guess.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, East Rider said:

This unfortunately is it. Most teams try to do it and we are not too bad at it in this league. However, there are people who go to the games who literally have no idea what they are watching tactically wise, yet will criticise the minute it doesn't go as they feel it should. Bizarre 

Sadly football has dragged in this level

When the end of the season comes and several of our good players want out, the same morons will be blaming the club for selling them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

No not me either. It’s a mystery!

We appear to have a gluttony of Hairy fans 😄

• Haha 1

I was surprised to see Kenny gesticulating to the fans, but assumed this was brought about by frustration at a section of the crowd who don’t get it. Sunderland battered us at their place, I was there, this was a classic hard fought victory; if you cannot appreciate this win you really need to get with the program. 

6 hours ago, baldy09 said:

And so are the players

Ol' Ronaldo taking offense at the constant chants of "Messi", I particularly enjoyed. Maybe he could go full Cantona and karate kick a fan? 

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

The concept of recycling possession and creating angles whilst a team sits in a low block is absolutely beyond the comprehension of these fans (see Buh on this thread as an example) and the only emotion they know how to express is general anger in the form of a boooo.

We all know that the game is played in the way you say - it's not rocket science, even for the booers. But there is no doubt we often look slow and clumsy while doing it. The slowness of it is turgid to watch. Other teams manage to pass the ball around at the back looking relatively comfortable and positive on the ball, but with the way we do it is so laboured. Mclean isn't really to blame, which is where the booers are wrong, it is the players around him. The frustration is that the two cb's look so unconfident in their passing ability, which forces Mclean to be the main and often the only outlet.

I get that they may want to be cautious and not want to give the ball away cheaply, but in my view, the very cautiousness of it is what gets them into difficulties. When the team is on it, then it can be different, but in games like today, it is almost as if the very slowness of it all plays into the opposition's hands - like in the first half. The opposition are happy to sit back and we look incapable of doing much about it, apart from hopeful punts upfield. Sunderland were erring on the cautious, as an away team probably should be, but particularly in the first half, we were pretty devoid of ideas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

We all know that the game is played in the way you say - it's not rocket science, even for the booers. But there is no doubt we often look slow and clumsy while doing it. The slowness of it is turgid to watch. Other teams manage to pass the ball around at the back looking relatively comfortable and positive on the ball, but with the way we do it is so laboured. Mclean isn't really to blame, which is where the booers are wrong, it is the players around him. The frustration is that the two cb's look so unconfident in their passing ability, which forces Mclean to be the main and often the only outlet.

I get that they may want to be cautious and not want to give the ball away cheaply, but in my view, the very cautiousness of it is what gets them into difficulties. When the team is on it, then it can be different, but in games like today, it is almost as if the very slowness of it all plays into the opposition's hands - like in the first half. The opposition are happy to sit back and we look incapable of doing much about it, apart from hopeful punts upfield. Sunderland were erring on the cautious, as an away team probably should be, but particularly in the first half, we were pretty devoid of ideas.

1) How many teams play it better than us? About 4 or 5 at a push, with better players, so there's no shock.

2) Gibson was brilliant with his distribution out from the back and drove with the ball as his confidence grew too.

3) Most teams are happy to sit with a low block and sometimes you don't have to move the ball quickly, you have to adjust tempo and mix it with long balls. Which we did.

The above is why we won the game and had the attacking momentum for 85% of the game

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Boo’d us to the win today 

It might have inspired the players to do their best to put themselves in the shop window to look for another team in the Summer where not so many fans are arseholes trying to convince themselves that them being arseholes is good for the club.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

1) How many teams play it better than us? About 4 or 5 at a push, with better players, so there's no shock.

2) Gibson was brilliant with his distribution out from the back and drove with the ball as his confidence grew too.

3) Most teams are happy to sit with a low block and sometimes you don't have to move the ball quickly, you have to adjust tempo and mix it with long balls. Which we did.

The above is why we won the game and had the attacking momentum for 85% of the game

Maybe his dodgy stream didn’t show the torrential rain and hail, the swirling wind and the standing water in areas of the pitch.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It might have inspired the players to do their best to put themselves in the shop window to look for another team in the Summer where not so many fans are arseholes trying to convince themselves that them being arseholes is good for the club.

If you really think booing is exclusive to Norwich you are incredibly naive. In fact, it’s one of the most placid, non-demonstrative, places the players can play their football. If Kenny McLean can’t handle a few grumpy Norwich fans he’s in the wrong game. The fact he reacts so visibly to it, is evidence to how ‘safe’ he feels to do so, and supports my point above. He just wouldn’t do it at a Leeds or Sunderland, for example. In the same way Webber wouldn’t have strutted about throwing arrogant, egotistical, hand grenades around whenever he felt like it.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If you really think booing is exclusive to Norwich you are incredibly naive. In fact, it’s one of the most placid, non-demonstrative, places the players can play their football. If Kenny McLean can’t handle a few grumpy Norwich fans he’s in the wrong game. The fact he reacts so visibly to it, is evidence to how ‘safe’ he feels to do so, and supports my point above. He just wouldn’t do it at a Leeds or Sunderland, for example. In the same way Webber wouldn’t have strutted about throwing arrogant, egotistical, hand grenades around whenever he felt like it.

Excellent post and spot on!

Whilst in no way condoning that small number of fans who ironically cheered / jeered The Lord Mayor in 'that' incident yesterday, the players reaction was petulant and unprofessional. He only did it because he knew he could get away with it as you infer. 

If he does land a 'dream' move to 'such a massive club and massive fanbase' in the summer as he enters the winter of his career, those fans will feel no affinity to him whatsoever. He will not be 'one of their own'. As such any mistakes he makes will be magnified and if the fans there decide to 'have a go', that will make his treatment here seem trivial in comparison. Swollen bank balance aside, one could easily find him privately admitting to hankerig for the 'good old days at Norwich when he was The Lord Mayor'!!  

Fans have a right to moan, and that will never change. Players also have a right to go back - that attitude should be normalised and may lead to a nicer environment particularly on social media. 

It’s a symptom of frustration with the power players at the club to not address the ever-present malaise. They sit on their hands, hope we win a few games to keep things quiet. Trying to plug the holes in the titanic with chewing gum.

Until there is a significant shift in approach and attitude by the NCFC brass this will only get worse, particularly if we lose even just two games in a row.

I feel for the players - they are being let down by their employer.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Well b back said:

Maybe his dodgy stream didn’t show the torrential rain and hail, the swirling wind and the standing water in areas of the pitch.

Living in the Lake District Lakey’s an expert in inclement weather……..he sees it every day 😀

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

15 hours ago, hogesar said:

Normal for Norwich fans nowadays. 

It's a bit of a problem. We have continental managers in both the prem and championship changing the tactical landscape whilst some of our fans are still working out how to use a mobile phone.

And if you're really thick you then try and blame your lack of footballing knowledge on Delia, somehow.

I agree entirely that our fans are a hindrance. They even did it during the Farke glory days when we were gunning for the title. An aging, seemingly uniquely casual fanbase of season ticket holders is an issue.

However the general malaise around the place sits solely at the door of the senior management and ownership. It’s been coming for two years now and is not going anywhere anytime soon. Do your job - address it and change it. You’re the only people who can.

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Aw diddums - if you can't handle our player of the season giving a little bit back to a bunch of whinging morons perhaps you'd better go and watch another sport. Croquet perhaps?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If Kenny McLean can’t handle a few grumpy Norwich fans he’s in the wrong game. The fact he reacts so visibly to it, is evidence to how ‘safe’ he feels to do so, and supports my point above. He just wouldn’t do it at a Leeds or Sunderland, for example. In the same way Webber wouldn’t have strutted about throwing arrogant, egotistical, hand grenades around whenever he felt like it.

Why would we want to be like Leeds, we are Norwich and proud of it!

You will always have that mentality in England, the same criticism follows Southgate and the England team.

I was at the game yesterday as I am every home game and it wasn't until I got home and read this thread that I realised there was any booing. The fans were largely supportive yesterday, more than I was expecting given the rather terrible conditions to watch and play a pretty dreadful game. 

Good passages of play were appreciated as was individual effort like Stacey and Sargent. Perhaps that doesn't come over on your dodgy streams? Likewise a good number stayed after the final whistle to applaud the win.

We earned a hard thought win against dogged opposition. We should be celebrating that not looking for rare moments where a very small number of fans moaned.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, repman said:

Kenny (and Sara occasionally too) does frustrate me when we drop into a back 3 in possession. Ultimately though I think this is a coaching/tactical issue.

A lot of the time when we did it today Sunderland didn’t take the pressing bait at all, instead setting up shop in a block asking us to play through. By dropping an extra man in front of them we’re basically subtracting a possible forward pass option. There’s obviously an issue that if Kenny doesn’t drop then we’re left with Gibson/Hanley to play through the lines, Gibson has been able to do that in seasons past but whether he still can is another question. Even so, Kenny/Sara could easily pull out wide and find space, we just feel so predictable in our movements and teams are aware by now.

What it leads to are either passes played through with too much pace or at a horrible height, rendering them uncontrollable and therefore the attack breaks down. It also leads to plenty of balls over the top, obviously today one of them led to the goal, so not all bad I guess.

I came on here to say this. I think the pre match dressing room message was that we are playing a chappy Sunderland at home and we need to be on the front foot. Without Nunez it was left to either Hanley or Gibson to cycle the ball forward and neither are that confident of getting the ball forward leading to us faffing around at the back as we were doing earlier in the season. When the message from the dugout to McLean or Sara to drop back and pick up the ball we looked better organised but sacrificed some attacking intent. 

Our goal came when Gibson realised time was running out and he had to push forward. Had that been in the first half I suspect he would have gone for a short safe pass. Instead he took the risk to play long and we took our rewards

It shows how important Bunwz has become to turn defence into attack which he can do at high tempo. 

18 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

There is literally nothing that won’t allow Kenny being selected. 

The guy could be chopped in half and be selected.

He exists outside of the the tombola. He’s a very mysterious guy.

Good player though 👌

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It was such a minor event that it clearly passed me by. 

I am not condoning the booing of players and it is not something that I do myself. 

There however needs to be a little context here, yesterday was not a good watch in terms of the quality of football from both sides (I am sure the conditions did not help). On quite a few occasions both Stacey and in particular Giannoulis were on for a pass when free out on the wings but we chose to go backwards or sideways, yes it keeps possession but some fans can get frustrated by it.

We had another moment when the game was 0-0 and we decided to mess around at the back, lost possession and nearly conceded. (As I said the Kenny incident passed me by, this may have happened after the booing but this type of moment also frustrates some fans).

Overall I felt there was a lot of positivity from the home crowd yesterday for what was not a very good game and personally I am not going to buy into this having a go at home fans particularly given our home form is better than our away form.............

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

7 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

It shows how important Bunwz has become to turn defence into attack

Bunwz is fast becoming my favourite player.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I'm really, really rooting for him to get us into the play-offs. I like him more each game.