Samwam27

Who would be your starting 11 now

Injuries aside, who do you think our strongest starting 11 is for the season. I'd go for

Krul

Aarons Hanley Omo Gian

Sorenson/Mclean Sara Hayden

Cantwell Pukki Rashica

We're spoilt for choice and if Smith plumped for 4-2-3-1 I'd go with

Krul

Aarons Hanley Omo Gian

Sara Hayden

Sargent/Idah Cantwell Rashica

Pukki

Naturally neither of these will be for first game of season, but difficult to see where Mclean, PML, Tzolis will fit in. I'd keep Hugill as a sub, especially as we get 5 subs now, and think he could cause problems for defences late on

38 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Injuries aside, who do you think our strongest starting 11 is for the season. I'd go for

Krul

Aarons Hanley Omo Gian

Sorenson/Mclean Sara Hayden

Cantwell Pukki Rashica

Assuming 4-3-3:              

Krul

Aarons  Hanley  Gibson Giannoulis

Hayden    Sara     McLean 

Rashica      Pukki     Cantwell

IF that team plays to its full potential and stays free of major injuries, we will defo be there or thereabouts come season end.

But...is Sara as good as we hope? Can Hayden stay injury free? Has vintage Cantwell returned? Can we wrap Pukki's toes in 3 foot of cotton wool? We shall see...

OTBC

I fear McLean's apparant undroppabilty will mean Smith will play Hayden as a '6' and then two no.8s in Sara/McLean...whereas what we should be doing this league is going at teams by playing a no.10 ahead of Hayden/Sara ..whether that be Cantwell, Idah who linked well with Pukki last season before injury , or Dowell who is effective at this level for goals and assists

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How's this?

11.png

Suspect Hanley will play on the left if partnered with Omobamidele. I’d swap Sinani and Dowell personally as well based on current evidence. I’m not sure that’s the position Sara has been brought in for but guess time will tell.

Edited by Monty13

I would be tempted to try the 3 at the back and play

Krul

Andrew O.  Hanley.    Gibson

Aarons Sara Hayden. Giannoulis    

Todd.   Rashica

Pukki  

Krul

Aaron’s Hanley Omobamidele Giannoulis

Hayden McLean

Sinani Cantwell Rashicha

Pukki

Sara will be given time to settle. Dowell, Hernandez, Sargent, Idah, Hugill and Tzolis all excellent attacking options competing for the bench. Be interesting who stays and who goes.

I've never seen Sara play so I'm not going to include him yet, if he ends up hitting the ground running swap him with McLean. 

Krul

Aarons Hanley Omobamidele Byram

McLean Hayden

Sargent Cantwell Rashica

Pukki 

I know Sargent might raise some eyebrows but if we're going to press teams next year he'll be useful at that and covering Aarons bombing forwards, the alternatives are Hernandez, Tzolis and Dowell which would mean Aarons would have to stay back more. Also I'd stick Byram in at left back where he's looked good before to give Rashica licence to stay forward. Cantwell I still think is our best no.10 type player and as much as I'd love to see Idah develop you can't leave Pukki out who guarantee's 20+ goals a season at this level. 

Five subs for me means when we start Pukki, we play mainly creative / box-to-box midfielders behind him, and if we throw Hugill on to give him a breather, we chuck a winger on.

GK: Tim KRUL
RB: Max AARONS
CB: Grant HANLEY (c)
CB: Andrew OMOBAMIDELE
LB: Dimitris GIANNOULIS
DCM: Isaac HAYDEN
CM: Gabriel SARA
CM: Pierre LEES-MELOU
LW: Milot RACHICA
RW: Kieran DOWELL
CF: Teemu PUKKI

If we take Pukki off, and Rashica's still fresh, I'd consider removing Dowell as well and throwing either Sinani (set pieces, could say the same for Dowell, to be fair) or an out-and-out winger on, so possibly Onel, possibly Rowe.

Suspect that five sub rule might also be why Rowe and Springett aren't on loan yet, Smith might be thinking of feeding them fifteen/twenty minute stints at the end of games. Picked Dowell over Sargent just because of that possible partnership they seemed to have going at the back end of last season. Won't argue with anyone putting Sargent in though, as his sheer workrate and physicality should really help us stand up and fight in matches that are more like wars of attrition, not to mention he's dangerous in the air for when a winger sticks one in.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Five subs for me means when we start Pukki, we play mainly creative / box-to-box midfielders behind him, and if we throw Hugill on to give him a breather, we chuck a winger on.

No Cantwell, no party

11 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

I think you can forget about Hayden till at least November 

Why's that, then? Do you have some privileged inside information from our medical team that you'd like to share with the group?

Gibson gives us so much more balance when he plays. 

I wouldn't worry we won't keep them 3 fit for very long anyway.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BurwellCanary said:

According to pinkun  https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-marseille-friendly-live-updates-9148882

Hayden ready to return in August - so return to training maybe fit for Sept?

Yeah, thanks, I'd seen the official line. Just wondering where November came from, maybe @CANARYKING can enlighten us?

I think Dowell will make plenty of starts this year and Sargent will prove to be an effective option off the bench. I really hope Idah & Omo make their mark(s) this season. Idah has been very unfortunate any time he has looked to nail down a starting spot. It's encouraging to see that Webber & Co have identified central/deep midfield as the area most in need of surgery. 

Nothing like a couple of signings to help wash away the disappointment of such a grim season.

If the system is 4-3-3

Then I quite like the look of this and could the attacking 3 having a lot of fun in his division. The key is getting a style and cohesion on the field, it did not feel like they had that at all last season.

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Omobamidele, Dimi

Sara, Hayden, PLM

Rashica, Pukki, Tzolis

I would love Tzolis to come ot life and he has been involved a lot in preseason. Cantwell, Sargent, Idah, Dowell, Hugill, Hernandez, Byram, Gibson, McCallum and McLean are great squad players.

Can't see a Dean Smith team without Byram in it, if he's fit. 

As everyone can see though, we still have far too many players and some will undoubtedly move on before the window closes.

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Can't see a Dean Smith team without Byram in it, if he's fit. 

As everyone can see though, we still have far too many players and some will undoubtedly move on before the window closes.

Interesting. Where do you think Byram will play?

1 hour ago, Darth Vadis said:

If everyone was fit I'd go with this

6CB1EE02-E8CB-4F76-ACB9-5CA6C03D917E.png

Are we allowed 22 players on the pitch now? I can't keep up with all these rule changes. 

Krul

Aarons Hanley Omo Dimi

Hayden

Sinani Sara McLean Rashica

Pukki

Would prefer the return of the diamond personally with the below but think it'll be the above

Krul

Aarons Hanley Omo Dimi

Hayden Sara

Sinani Cantwell Rashica

Pukki

Gunn 

Aarons.     Omobamidele Hanley. Giannoulis 

Hayden.       PLM 

Sinani.             Cantwell.       Rachica

Pukki

You’re all wrong. We all know it will be:

Krul

McLean McLean McLean McLean

McLean McLean

McLean McLean McLean

Pukki 

• Haha 2

When everyone is up to speed and fit:

Krul

Aarons Omobamidele Hanley Giannoulis

Rashica Sara Hayden Cantwell

Pukki Idah

With numerous options from the bench.

Are we looking at fully fit? Starting 11 in two weeks time? Who knows but right now with who’s here and available!

Gunn

Aarons, Omobamdele, Hanley, McCullum

Sorensen, McLean, PLM

Rashica, Pukki, Cantwell.

Personally I think we might see a couple surprise departures if the offers come in, Krull, Cantwell or even Pukki or McLean.

Worth bumping this one as the debate on incomings/shortage of cover rages

For Cardiff maybe Gunn, Aarons, Omo, Gibson, Hanley, Giannoulis, Sorenson, McLean, Rachica, Cantwell, Pukki in a 343. Or swap Sargeant for Gibson in a 4231?