Sign in to follow this  
Chichcan

Cantwell coming back

According to the local Bournemouth paper anyway

https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/todd-cantwells-best-position-doesnt-7024865?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

It seems he’ll be reporting back to us for pre-season

Having triggered the extension to his contract we have to pay his wages unless / until he is sold. I’m sure he won’t get a Prem move and it would be annoying to sell him to a Championship rival

Maybe it would be best if he went somewhere like Holland where he has played before

Or would we have him back playing for us....

Only 11 appereces for them, about half of them with him coming off of the bench and not a single goal or asisst among them, and he's just got injured. End of the day I get the feeling we will be stuck with him beacause who's goinng to want to buy him? And to think we used to hear about interest from top six clubs and him going for 20 to 30 million..

If he does get another chance with us in the championship I feel it really will be last chance saloon.. I just hope we get the cantwell of old and not the Cantwell who can't be bothered to turn up to training and yet demands that he be first choice on the teamsheet.. 

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 3

Early excitement has fizzled out. His latest omission from the 18-man squad, coupled with a series of cryptic posts on the player's social media platforms, strongly suggests all roads lead to a parting of ways at the end of the season.”

😂😂😂 that’s just his normal social media 

• Haha 4

Well, he's got a pre-season to get himself into shape and a fresh start with a manager who was apparently sniffing at him when at Villa. 

Definitely last-chance saloon territory.

6 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Early excitement has fizzled out. His latest omission from the 18-man squad, coupled with a series of cryptic posts on the player's social media platforms, strongly suggests all roads lead to a parting of ways at the end of the season.”

Good to know nothing changes 🙃

What a talent. Sadly it looks increasingly like he lacks the maturity to make sense of the fact his career is seriously on the slide and it could quickly be over if he doesn’t get his head down, quit playing a social media audience that doesn’t care / exist and take accountability for the mess he’s made of this season. I really like the lad and it’s sad what’s happened. But it’s worrying if someone like Scott Parker can’t get through to him and has clearly run out of patience with him 

• Like 1

Bournemouth was a good move for Todd if he was serious about moving his career forward again, but it seems he doesn't help himself. 

Everyone would like to see the 'old' Todd back, but I think he'll be shipped out - if there is any interest in him. 

What a waste of talent, but he isn't the first and won't be the last to see a bright career fade out all too quickly. 

• Like 1

So three decent coaches have worked with Todd this season, all to no avail. Hopefully he'll realise that it's up him to sort himself out. Would love to see him return to form for NCFC. But hardly holding my breath 

• Like 1

He isn’t ‘one for the future’ anymore and doesn’t want to be paid as such either. He needs to mix it at the top level with both talent and hard work. Not up to it. 

He's a talented player who seems to have forgotten how he got to where he was.

Farke, Smith and Parker have all given him chances this season.

We can only hope that he takes time this summer to rediscover the player he was. If he does, we know he can be a real asset in the Championship.

If not, then his career as a professional footballer is in jeopardy. Which would be a real shame. Especially for a local lad.

• Like 1

After Webbers antics last week and his arrogance how can anyone criticise Cantwell for not giving 100% when the DOF can’t be arsed!

I’m starting to think the club culture is all wrong behind the scenes!

I’d be very happy to see Webber given the boot, bring in a decent guy and renegotiate a new contract with Cantwell, he’s got it in him and a firing Cantwell is a big asset at this level!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

He won't play for us again.

We won't play him and then have him leave on free next summer. Won't happen. Even if we only get £5m for him. 

They said Smith tried all the options with cantwell, arm round the shoulder, kick up the ****, nothing worked. 

I always believed the hype over him was over the top. He was an alright player, at best. I think people saw him through rose-tinted glasses due to the Norfolk and flowing blonde locks thing. Average Joe at the end of the day. Let him toddle off and play in the National League which is actually his genuine level. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

He won't play for us again.

We won't play him and then have him leave on free next summer. Won't happen. Even if we only get £5m for him. 

They said Smith tried all the options with cantwell, arm round the shoulder, kick up the ****, nothing worked. 

Did he try playing him?

What a shame  had the potential to be a top player , but I said a couple of years ago he's gonna either end up at real Madrid or Tranmere rovers and I know what looking more likely now.😢

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

I really hope he gets it together with us next season but the part about his cryptic social media made me roll my eyes. He needs to grow up otherwise the people predicted his career will be over before he's close to 30 will be right.

9 minutes ago, JB said:

I always believed the hype over him was over the top. He was an alright player, at best. I think people saw him through rose-tinted glasses due to the Norfolk and flowing blonde locks thing. Average Joe at the end of the day. Let him toddle off and play in the National League which is actually his genuine level. 

He was one of the few players of ours to get any praise on MOTD the first time we went up under Farke. I don’t think they cared about the Norfolk “thing”. 

What is ironic is that a previously promising player who has failed to live up to their initial potential but might still come good is bang in our sweet spot when we buy players.

10 minutes ago, JB said:

Despite all the hype about academies, the National League is where many of the players from that source end up. Maybe players who get brought up in lower leagues or Brazilian beaches toughen up better.  Hope Todd can find a way back.

He's a young man and by all accounts a pleasant one, although I have never met him. We know that he has had personal difficulties this year and the season never got going for him - I'm sure that the season has been a crushing disappointment to him and he possibly hasn't handled it as well as he might have - who knows what went on?  We all make mistakes when we are young but fortunately, they do not receive as much publicity as his have. He is a local lad and I really hope that he makes it - and I would love it to be here.

With Farke gone and Webber possibly "on the brink" going there might still be a chance for him here. Here's hoping 🤞

• Like 6

An awful lot of straw clutching going on with talk of him sorting himself out but sadly it is not going to happen here at Norwich City.

He always struck me as quite a nice lad on the whole. He's still fairly young at 24. At the very least, I hope he can take an opportunity to put himself in the shop window in the Championship so he can find himself a move somewhere where he's happy and the club can get a bit of return on him.

I really had high hopes for Todd and thought he was destined for a successful footballing career.....If there's personal problems, issues or whatever? I do wish the lad well.... 

57 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Did he try playing him?

Strange question - he played, and was poor. You’d hope there’s someone in the game who he respects and can have a proper chat with and get through to him (maybe someone like Eadie/Holt?), as he stands to waste his ability if he’s not careful. 

• Like 1

Goes a long way to validate how Cantwell was handled by Farke, at the time I questioned it as a clash of personalities. But now this is the 3rd manager in a year that hasn't been able to get him ticking. 

Can’t imagine he willl play for us again but I hope he gets his head down in pre season and proves me wrong

Poor Todd. We all have a tiny bit of sympathy for him with all those “personal problems”. However one gets the impression that if he was to turn his career around then the move to Bournemouth was his main chance. Now, unwanted by Bournemouth and unwanted by his home Club, one can only guess what Dean Smith will do with him; a loan to anyone that will have him and his attitude or a bargain basement sale to a lower league or a foreign club. Wish him well but believe his playing days at Norwich are over.

I'll never understand the vitriol towards Todd. As far as I can tell his only crimes have been to have long hair, post on social media and lose form. All the nonsense about his attitude is purely guesswork.

My supposition is that his confidence took a battering because his position was removed from our system and, in the handful of chances he was given, he was so completely bereft of support from the worst rabble of midfielders in the league that he simply couldn't figure out how he was supposed to play.

Cantwell is the biggest victim of the inexplicable change to the 4-3-3. His strengths lie in rapid transitions from defence to attack. He's great at picking up the ball and moving it forward or pulling defenders out of position to create space for the other attackers to exploit. He's not so good at holding the ball up under pressure when outnumbered, or chasing hopeful punts into the channels.

Had we sold him and kept Buendia but otherwise made the same changes to our system then I speculate that we'd probably have suffered a similar fate. Anyone could lose focus when given an impossible job - look, I'm not claiming that he's as good as Buendia, just that he had no chance with the utter dross he was working with.

I don't understand why Rashica is given a free pass but Cantwell is given soo much stick. The former has played the whole season with just one (deflected) goal whilst failing to create any understanding with Pukki. If Cantwell had been given the same run in the team, I'm certain that he'd have contributed more.

It's nothing short of idiocy to write him off completely, especially when we've now reverted to playing the system he excelled in and will be playing back at the lower level that was more suited to his ability. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1