Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Just now, Indy said:

Do you think so? I’m not sure, but like I said not a bad shout, just depends what price they put on him! No premiership experience where Zimmermann has and has been with us a while now, so happy to play a bit part as I assume Hanley & Gibson when fit will be our starting pair. So can he push these two to start? If so then great.

Yeah I do- for me Zimmerman's injuries seem to have taken a real toll on his mobility and I thought he largely struggled when we played him last season, although I appreciate he didn't get much of a run of games. Worrall is one of the best Championship central defenders to me. Whether he can step up or not I don't know.

Just now, king canary said:

Yeah I do- for me Zimmerman's injuries seem to have taken a real toll on his mobility and I thought he largely struggled when we played him last season, although I appreciate he didn't get much of a run of games. Worrall is one of the best Championship central defenders to me. Whether he can step up or not I don't know.

For me it’s the cost, as we know £10 million appears to be our budget on a single player, not sure what they might demand for him. At his age he’d need to be pushing the starting 11.

Personally I'd hope to see us sign a CB that is really pushing Hanley hard for  starting spot alongside Gibson or can play on the right of a back 3 and then we sell Zimmerman for a couple of million. Zimmerman has been an outstanding servant to our club but if we want to reach the next level we need to continue to be ruthless and that means upgrading on what we have got.

I dont think Zimmerman would be short of interest either as I'd imagine a fair few champs and German sides would be keen. The only issue would be what clubs out there at that level have the cash to spend.

• Like 1

Just been talking to a colleague in Newcastle about the game tomorrow (he's not going) and he says the local press are linking them with Tom Davies (Everton) and Olly Skipp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Just been talking to a colleague in Newcastle about the game tomorrow (he's not going) and he says the local press are linking them with Tom Davies (Everton) and Olly Skipp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes theyve been noted with an interest in Skipp in recent weeks. If he is going anywhere it wont be till late in the window.

Spurs mate reckons no chance Skipp goes, and we’ve moved on by looking at options for the last prem loan spot

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

Agreed - I always think Zimmermann needs a few games to get up to speed, which isn't very useful if he's 3rd/4th choice

In the excitement (?) over Tzolis

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Spurs mate reckons no chance Skipp goes, and we’ve moved on by looking at options for the last prem loan spot

In the excitement over Tzolis and then Sargent this line from Southwell on Wednesday may have been missed. Presumably a loan deal:

City remain active in the window and hope to also wrap up a deal for a full-back, with Brandon Williams a player of interest, a central midfielder, a centre back and a striker. Talks to sign the Manchester United youngster aren't at an advanced stage at present, but City are hoping to add the 20-year-old to their squad this summer. 

Hey everyone, Greek PAOK fan here, Tzolis for a ten piece is such a bargain that it will probably begin a revolution in Thessaloniki, but props to you for taking such a talented young player for such a pricetag. He is considered the biggest offensive talent in the last 30 years in Greece. The guy used to be a striker and has an amazing sense of goal scoring, has very good technique, but is not extremely fast and does not defend very well as a winger. but with Giannoulis they were an amazing duo at the left. We were expecting a little bit less than the double of that for him, but the huge contract you are offering and the opportunity to play in Premier league rung some bells in his head, and it is whispered here and there that the signing is inevitable. 

In last  year's Europa league qualifiers matches, you can see Giannoulis and Tzolis demolishing the defenses of Benfica and Besiktas, two arguably very strong clubs in European football

Edited by karson39
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

I repeat.....An executive aeroplane is currently inbound to Norwich International from Georgie Best Airport Belfast.....Just sayin'.....

Zimmerman reminds me of Russel Martin in that he can be excellent for 99% of a game but always seems to be part of a leaky defense and often has a hand in part of the cascade of mistakes that lead to the goals we concede. He's good enough to be third choice for us, but I wouldn't want to rely on him for an extended period of time, he's great towards the end of games though when he can throw himself infront of things and add some energy and impetus to our defensive play if we're on the back foot.

I just hope Hanley and Gibson can stay fit all season, that will be key to our survival chances. 

According to Bild:

"Josh Sargent ‘will join the Premier League club’, and will ‘therefore no longer be at the Werder Cup game in Osnabrück on Saturday.

Their manager, Frank Baumann, confirmed the news, with the German newspaper then providing the details.

Bild state the Canaries will pay an ‘initial €11m’ for the American striker, and the amount ‘can grow even further through possible add-ons’."

http://sportwitness.co.uk/norwich-city-verge-signing-player-e11m-bonuses-player-will-fly-england-sunday/

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

5 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

According to Bild:

"Josh Sargent ‘will join the Premier League club’, and will ‘therefore no longer be at the Werder Cup game in Osnabrück on Saturday.

Their manager, Frank Baumann, confirmed the news, with the German newspaper then providing the details.

Bild state the Canaries will pay an ‘initial €11m’ for the American striker, and the amount ‘can grow even further through possible add-ons’."

http://sportwitness.co.uk/norwich-city-verge-signing-player-e11m-bonuses-player-will-fly-england-sunday/

US press saying $10m US dollars and may not be completed for several days. That would come out at £7m

Edited by Bakerkd

It's one of those ones where currency makes a real difference.

If its $11m as one suggested then that's under £8m.

If its euros then its nearer £10m.

And if its pounds then...its pounds.

18 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

According to Bild:

€11m does seem rather a lot for a 3rd choice striker…after a bit more reading about him it seems to me his defensive / pressing qualities are what is attracting Farke and Webber. We need to replace Emi’s defensive work as well as sublime attacking. 

I've been watching this unfold via various sources on twitter. The consensus is that Werder are inflating the fees to look good. For example, they claim that it's the same deal they got for Rashica - which is why some places have us having paid £9-10m for him, others £8-9m. I'm inclined at this point, to believe the US reports.

I'm happy with this to be honest. Having watched various videos the standout thing is his work rate and positioning. The finishing seems ok as well but he appears to have played more AM than as the main striker - probably not a bad way to bleed a young striker, something that we have seen done with Idah for example.

As for not paying as much... £3m + add ons gets you Hugill. If, as people are saying, Sargent is a faster, younger version of Hugill, then he's going to be more. 

36 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

According to Bild:

Guess that means our search for a striker this window is over? 

Tzolis sounds an exciting player and one that once settled can really light up our team. I know he has many years in front of him and it will be interesting to see the consistency but if this gets across the line brilliant.

Sargant may be one of those hard working types that gets in the right position for those attacking players around him to feed in the right place. 

I would like to see more of a player who can push pukki as a goalscoring threat rather than a player who can push, high energy etc. But I actually think Idah can be a player with that ability and movement, so who knows

Just be nice to tie a few up and move on to those other positions

30 minutes ago, WD40 said:

€11m does seem rather a lot for a 3rd choice striker…after a bit more reading about him it seems to me his defensive / pressing qualities are what is attracting Farke and Webber. We need to replace Emi’s defensive work as well as sublime attacking. 

Peanuts for a 3rd choice striker in the EPL.

Farke also seems to be setting Idah some challenges looking at the front page. Could be an important season for the young man.

So that is potentially two in - the winger and the striker that can play wide.

That leaves the DM, CB and FB. Supposedly CB is the lowest priority owing to the rapid development of Omobamidele.

Then it comes down to going with Williams or waiting further to see if Skipp is an option again, as per the most recent reports. I guess it'll depend if we find a suitable permanent target in either position.

That's my view. One assumes we're keeping the last loan open as long as possible in case Skipp can return

19 minutes ago, chicken said:

So that is potentially two in - the winger and the striker that can play wide.

That leaves the DM, CB and FB. Supposedly CB is the lowest priority owing to the rapid development of Omobamidele.

Then it comes down to going with Williams or waiting further to see if Skipp is an option again, as per the most recent reports. I guess it'll depend if we find a suitable permanent target in either position.

Williams isn’t going to come in to be a bench warmer. Which makes me wonder if Aarons is off as it’s gone suspiciously quiet around his movements… 

In that vein, will we wait until Williams is confirmed before selling on Aarons to fund a quality DM purchase? I know that sounds convoluted but such is the transfer window. 

Another consideration is cover at left backs since Bryam, who‘s still out, keeps having set backs. Surely we’ll be looking at that as another priority in view of Giannolouis injury / suspension?

10 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Williams isn’t going to come in to be a bench warmer. Which makes me wonder if Aarons is off as it’s gone suspiciously quiet around his movements… 

In that vein, will we wait until Williams is confirmed before selling on Aarons to fund a quality DM purchase? I know that sounds convoluted but such is the transfer window. 

Another consideration is cover at left backs since Bryam, who‘s still out, keeps having set backs. Surely we’ll be looking at that as another priority in view of Giannolouis injury / suspension?

No doubt in my mind that Aarons is staying, but I do agree that Williams won't come if he's going to play second fiddle, and United won't allow that to happen either. 

Personally, I don't see Williams happening for that reason. I think there's more chance of us signing a FB from abroad on loan with an obligation to buy if we stay up or they hit X amount of appearances, similar to the Quintilla deal, or we could even go for an experienced free agent (someone like Neil Taylor or even Nathaniel Clyne). I know the latter option doesn't sound like a Webber move, but a free transfer on a year contract would be a very cost effective way to plug the gap as it were, whilst also providing Premier League experience and wisdom to what is still a young backline.

• Like 1

Looking forward to Sargent joining. I've long thought we could do with a hard working forward who can link the play and support our main striker kinda like the role Shinji Okazaki performed for Leicester.

We usually try to sign strikers who are potent in the box but maybe don't have many attributes as an all-round forward, at least in theory, with Pukki being the best example of this, RVW being the worst and players like Hooper being somewhere in the middle. I think we could do with a forward who's useful in our build up play, works hard for the team and gets results if not individual praise like a better and younger version of Johan Elmander

• Like 1

I agree, and think Sargent will bring a useful option up front. He's a hard worker like Pukki and good at pressing and looks to be a team player as well. At 21, he's still developing his scoring abilities as well, but Werder Bremen has been a defensive oriented team lately and that will have impacted on his scoring. Our even stronger array of attacking midfielders will suit him and good coaching and competition will help him develop further. 

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Anyone else watching Bournmuff vs West Brom (didn't think it deserved its own thread) and keeping an eye on Billing's performance?

There is a separate thread about it, in case you'd not seen it already 🙂