Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

34 minutes ago, Northern Canary said:

Skipp played 84 mins this afternoon in friendly against Arsenal. Seems he is in Nuno’s plans. Could all change if they reinvest the millions they would get for Kane and the domino effect that could trigger in other transfer deals 

There is zero chance of Skipp returning. Can't see why so many Yellows seem to think otherwise. 

• Like 1

It has seemed Skipp won’t be returning for sometime, but I suppose while we’ve not used our loan spot people will think there’s a chance - particularly after SW’s comments that we’d wait to the final minute if we had to.  I’m sure we’d have all had him back in a shot, but the defensive screen is a crucial role for us and I think we’d be better off getting someone rather than waiting, if there’s anyone potentially lined up.

In terms of Spurs, a lot hinges on Kane - they are looking at Martinez from Inter for £60m and if Kane left would have a large sum to invest which could potentially push Skipp further down their starting order, but that’s not to say he’d be available for loan.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Just watched the 2nd half of Coventry v Forest. Cautious Chris tried defending a one goal for over an hour and paid the price. Keep on eye on Callum O’Hare, reminded me so much of Todd and won the game for Cov.

Worral didn’t play for Forest. Hugill plus cash swop transfer for him?

2 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

I saw that and looked it up - Worrall has a calf injury, apparently.  Nixon (of the Armstrong rumour) even tweeted that it was not linked to any transfer speculation….who knows these days, though.

6 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

No mate, O’Hare is the man. 

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No mate, O’Hare is the man. 

I thought Brennan Johnson played really well for forest, he's very highly thought of. I had never heard of him until I watched today's game, he spent last season on loan at Lincoln.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

It has seemed Skipp won’t be returning for sometime, but I suppose while we’ve not used our loan spot people will think there’s a chance - particularly after SW’s comments that we’d wait to the final minute if we had to.  I’m sure we’d have all had him back in a shot, but the defensive screen is a crucial role for us and I think we’d be better off getting someone rather than waiting, if there’s anyone potentially lined up.

In terms of Spurs, a lot hinges on Kane - they are looking at Martinez from Inter for £60m and if Kane left would have a large sum to invest which could potentially push Skipp further down their starting order, but that’s not to say he’d be available for loan.

Is having one player excelling as a defensive screen as important this time as last season though? If (and this is a big if) we are moving to having 3 CMs and only 2 AMs (forgoing a true CAM for two floating wide AMs coming inside andd swapping positions) as looks likely from the signings then we would essentially have 2 sitting back most of the time with a third dropping back slightly further through the defensive phase. In other words we have one sitter with 2 either side, one of which will go forwards to launch/support the attacks. That's why we've signed players like PLM and gilmour who have similar profiles to McLean and rupp (though at a higher level) and would explain our extended focus on Billing... Yes an excellent CDM would fit well in this, but it's less vital as a good CDM (which I believe we might already have in Sorenson) will suffice.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I saw that and looked it up - Worrall has a calf injury, apparently.  Nixon (of the Armstrong rumour) even tweeted that it was not linked to any transfer speculation….who knows these days, though.

What was it Ashton had again? And Green!!! 

55 minutes ago, Top corner said:

I thought Brennan Johnson played really well for forest, he's very highly thought of. I had never heard of him until I watched today's game, he spent last season on loan at Lincoln.

He's the son of ex 1p5wich player David Johnson. He looked lively and creative, didn't he?

maybe we kept the Armstrong bid on the table in case Cantwell did leave? If he doesn't then we retract the bid but if he suddenly did then we can jump on the Armstrong deal even if its not quite like for like

A new possible link, taken from the BBC Gossip page - don’t know anything about the guy, though a closer look suggests he’d be for the u23 squad

Porto, West Ham, Leeds and Norwich have been linked with Fulham's 18-year-old English midfielder Fabio Carvalho, who has turned down an initial offer of a contract extension with the Cottagers. (Mail)

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

There is zero chance of Skipp returning. Can't see why so many Yellows seem to think otherwise. 

Why? Because he’s played a lot in pre season for Spurs? Carter-Vickers played the vast majority of games for the last 3 seasons and got loaned out each season.

Spurs fans and analysts I’ve heard don’t believe Skipp is ready and their midfield 3 will be from Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Winks, Lo Celso and Sissoko (or a signing). Nuno may well think he’s ready but that’s not the talk I’ve heard and just because he’s featured in pre season doesn’t mean he’s going to be in their starting 11. Much like our disrupted pre season, Spurs have had to field who they have available more than their preferred starting 11.

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

A new possible link, taken from the BBC Gossip page - don’t know anything about the guy, though a closer look suggests he’d be for the u23 squad

Porto, West Ham, Leeds and Norwich have been linked with Fulham's 18-year-old English midfielder Fabio Carvalho, who has turned down an initial offer of a contract extension with the Cottagers. (Mail)

He's very highly rated, has already played for England U18s (count as homegrown) and scored for Fulham on the last day of last season. Could be a first team option from the bench, he's versatile and attack-minded. If he's got the right mentality/appetite, he might see us as his best chance of first-team football of the English teams he's been linked with. Might be a backup in case Tzolis doesn't happen and/or Cantwell goes to Villa?

Nothing in this at all from a rumour front but the game the other day made me VERY concerned about the lack of replacement for Skipp and I was trying think of someone who could do the same job.

The name I've come up with is Brazilian-Portuguese Gustavo Assunção  from Famalicão in Liga NOS.

He's the son of former Athletico Madrid player Paulo Assunção.

Gustavo is a hard working defensive midfielder that has a touch of flair about him and most likely has a high ceiling of talent, as is proven by the fact Man Utd were sniffing around last year.

Here's a tactical analysis of him from his breakout 19/20 season

In 2020, he signed a long term deal until 2025 so this will up his price range but Famalicão are not the most wealthy team and the possibility for a fair price remains.

The main reports of interest I've seen for him this summer are from Bordeaux in France and Lazio in Italy and they are quoting figures in the €10m - €15m range which seems like our sweet spot.

The only concern I'd have with a player like this is if he speaks English and the ability for squad integration. I think it was one issue of perhaps many with the Amadou signing that reportedly his English wasn't the best and as Farke needs his players to understand the tactics thoroughly, this poses an issue.

Although interviews with the young chap Gustavo in his native Portuguese always make him come across as really positive and nice. Never stops smiling.

A bit of that Onel style positivity.

Edited by Renskay
  • Like 1

Keith Downie of Sky Sports has just put on his twitter account, Southampton have agreed a fee with Blackburn for Adam Armstrong. 

Just now, Top corner said:

Keith Downie of Sky Sports has just put on his twitter account, Southampton have agreed a fee with Blackburn for Adam Armstrong. 

Makes sense. I have no idea why Nixon is pushing the Norwich interest so hard despite the Sargent deal coming to a close.

Strange one.

Just gently popping in and out of here and Twitter waiting for Sargent to be announced, fairly solid rumours he’s at Conley etc today, hopefully a 5pm special!

14 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Just gently popping in and out of here and Twitter waiting for Sargent to be announced, fairly solid rumours he’s at Conley etc today, hopefully a 5pm special!

Hopefully this can tide you over until Sargent is announced.  😅

https://twitter.com/NorwichCityWFC/status/1424663661424123907?s=20

Edited by Renskay

9 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Me too but hoping to see a DM and CH before Saturday. Been too quiet recently re signings

Feels unlikely. It seems likely that Cantwell is staying and without further sales I can't see us bringing in much more after Sargent and Tzolis outside of a loan. 

25 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Me too but hoping to see a DM and CH before Saturday. Been too quiet recently re signings

Don't hold your breath for a DM ... I don't think one's on Webber's shopping list. On top of Tzolis and Sargent they want:

LB (hence Williams)

CB (hence Ajer)

CAM (hence Billing)

5 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Think Worrall will be the CB...call it a hunch 😉 

I would go with that. Hugill and Zimbo to Forest as makeweights. Its clear Hugill isn't going to be involved and I think both would flourish in the championship. Good characters. Although his dad aged for Ipswich the boy Johnson at Forest looks a great prospect. Worrall has been talked about for a couple of years now. He can defend which is what we need. Be happy with a 3 of Worrall, Hanley and Gibbo with Omo in reserve

1 minute ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Don't hold your breath for a DM ... I don't think one's on Webber's shopping list. On top of Tzolis and Sargent they want:

LB (hence Williams)

CB (hence Ajer)

CAM (hence Billing)

After watching Billing on Friday I would give that one a wide berth. Ajer has gone. Williams, Worrall and a big strong DM

11 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Why? Because he’s played a lot in pre season for Spurs? Carter-Vickers played the vast majority of games for the last 3 seasons and got loaned out each season.

Spurs fans and analysts I’ve heard don’t believe Skipp is ready and their midfield 3 will be from Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Winks, Lo Celso and Sissoko (or a signing). Nuno may well think he’s ready but that’s not the talk I’ve heard and just because he’s featured in pre season doesn’t mean he’s going to be in their starting 11. Much like our disrupted pre season, Spurs have had to field who they have available more than their preferred starting 11.

Really??

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/oliver-skipp.27499/page-101

11 minutes ago, canarycop said:

After watching Billing on Friday I would give that one a wide berth. Ajer has gone. Williams, Worrall and a big strong DM

I know Ajer's gone ... my point was - I don't think we are shopping for a DM this window.

18 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I know Ajer's gone ... my point was - I don't think we are shopping for a DM this window.

I really hope we are. My fear is that we are waiting for Skipp and the waiting may cost us other options potentially. After Saturday, I know it was only a friendly, it is obvious that we need someone to sit in front of the back 4. Stevie Wonder can see that.