Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Tonight’s Attendance

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So up to 5,000 paid but would rather stay at home. This is not just about poor displays but how this club has been run for  a few seasons now. 

Playing Devil's Advocaat here, the weather was quite bad, so I imagine that quite a few used that as the final decider to stay away.
But yes, it looked very poorly attended. There were large regions of seats unattended all round the ground other than the Barclay.
Where I was there were 5 seats to my right unattended, with many sets of 3+ seats that were clearly vacant. 

Edited by K Lo
typo

3 hours ago, K Lo said:

Playing Devil's Advocaat here, the weather was quite bad, so I imagine that quite a few used that as the final desider to stay away.
But yes, it looked very poorly attended. There were large regions of seats unattended all round the ground other than the Barclay.
Where I was there were 5 seats to my right unattended, with many sets of 3+ seats that were clearly vacant. 

From my seat in the River End, I could see that there were also plenty of spare seats in the Barclay, particularly the upper tier. Spaces everywhere tonight.

10 minutes ago, Conrad said:

From my seat in the River End, I could see that there were also plenty of spare seats in the Barclay, particularly the upper tier. Spaces everywhere tonight.

It was also available on Sky Red Button....

7 hours ago, nu_matik said:

20k ish, on a wet...midweek....sky red button game... with 20% of the club on a whinge ... Delia and MWJ are terrible humans...cyclists should pay road tax...Norwich Market was better with cloth rooves... Does anyone remember Mackintoshes!!!???

'Roofs'

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Bloke who never goes starts a thread about fans not going tonight...

No you’re wrong. He assured me on another thread that he had seen Norwich 3 times in the last few months ( not sure whether that’s home or away). I’ve already nominated him for ‘fan of the season’

40 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

No you’re wrong. He assured me on another thread that he had seen Norwich 3 times in the last few months ( not sure whether that’s home or away). I’ve already nominated him for ‘fan of the season’

Here’s another Team Denial member. 

• Like 1

The official capacity according to wiki is 27,359. So the official figures suggest that there were only 1,800 seats empty.

I could not get there so I cant comment. But if there were more spaces then it suggests that they always count all season tickets as being present which is always going to over record attendance.

• Like 1

Quite a few noticeably absent around me....the atmosphere was a bit meh but the highlight was when the ref disappeared for a while down the tunnel....When he reappeared the Owl's support sang 'he's been for a sheet....he's been for a sheet'....Quite funny :-) 

10 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Ha ha ha. More chance of me having a pint with Beyoncé in the Queen of Iceni tomorrow night than there being anywhere near 25k in tonight . 

She doesn’t strike me as a Wetherspoons type of girl.

Try something a bit more in the style to which she’s become accustomed and I reckon you’re in.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Ness Point Runner said:

The official capacity according to wiki is 27,359. So the official figures suggest that there were only 1,800 seats empty.

I could not get there so I cant comment. But if there were more spaces then it suggests that they always count all season tickets as being present which is always going to over record attendance.

As far as I'm aware the total seating capacity when the segregation line is placed in, is approx. 27,200.

The club have also counted the season tickets sold in the attendance for some time. Hence the howls of laughter at times when the attendance is announced at the game (except the last two home games for obvious reasons).

The real attendance last night was considerably lower than the announced one after the game. 

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Quite a few noticeably absent around me....the atmosphere was a bit meh but the highlight was when the ref disappeared for a while down the tunnel....When he reappeared the Owl's support sang 'he's been for a sheet....he's been for a sheet'....Quite funny 🙂

City fans were singing it as well. It was the loudest song all night.

Atmosphere wasn't great at all, you could hear that constant buzz of conversation all night. 

‘It’s cold’ 

‘It was on tv’

’It’s Christmas’

there are no excuses. We are seeing the lowest crowds this club has had for over 20 years because:

a) The football is woeful. I genuinely fell asleep night.

b) We are directionless. There is no hope this season.

c) The messages coming from the club give us nothing to be optimistic about long term and stink of arrogance.

Of this carries on another 6 months, we’re going to get get Chase levels of protest at best, 17,000 crowds of apathy at worst.

3% rise in season tickets - fvvvcking good luck when that hits the doormats.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

She doesn’t strike me as a Wetherspoons type of girl.

Try something a bit more in the style to which she’s become accustomed and I reckon you’re in.

I was going for the all day full English and a Perroni. I can be classy when I need to. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Bloke who never goes starts a thread about fans not going tonight...

What a daft reply, I am guessing Midlands lives......well in the Midlands.

My only (well documented) beef with NCFC supporters that watch a lot of games via a screen is if they start telling me they get a better view of the game on their mahoosive plasma screen than I do at Carrow Rd.

It is also a fact the number of empty seats was more noticeable last night, quite a few near where I sit.

Personally I do not think the empty seats can be attributed to one thing, there might have been some supporters not turning up in protest but I suspect it was more down to the time of year, the paucity of public transport in Norfolk/Suffolk in the evenings and the fact the game was available on TV.........

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

City fans were singing it as well. It was the loudest song all night.

Atmosphere wasn't great at all, you could hear that constant buzz of conversation all night.

It was a stream for me last night as it was for the Blackburn game. Atmosphere almost as bad for long periods of the game. The stream went down at the beginning of the 2nd half and they missed the Barnes goal. It wasn’t until several minutes later that someone texted me to say we were 2-1 up. I wouldn’t have guessed otherwise.

Should have got Russ Abbot in for some pre-match entertainment……

It would be interesting to see how many of the empty seats were ST holders and how many were non sold casual seats. It does highlight the delusion that ground expansion (capacity) will generate higher attendance and greater revenue. If we are still in the CHs next season, I suspect there will be a similar number of empty seats for most games.

13 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm genuinely scratching my head as to when a league game was so poorly attended.

13 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think 2001/2002 was pretty much full from the start? I remember a good vibe after the Libra Man City winner.. we had a cracking home record and terrible away. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/norwich-city/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/1123

Looked about 21, 22k. I thought it was going to be lower but as the game kicked off it filled up around us in the lower Barclay, with only 2 spare seats in view around me. 

Midweek game on Sky, still a good attendance compared to league average.

Nothing the club can do but win games, because the fans have a preconceived view before turning up (or not) and refuse to change it. Those calling last night woeful really need to re-evaluate.

I'm really hoping a couple thousand season ticket holders who can't be bothered, aren't interested in supporting finally pack it in this time. 

13 hours ago, Grando said:

I wonder if they’re concerned by the number of ST holders currently staying away - presumably Delia thinks they’re the 20%…

FFS, you wonder if they are concerned? If they are not concerned then it really is time for them to go. The loss of income from the secondary spend alone is reason for serious questions to be asked by the Board of the executive team. Just what are they doing to improve the watching experience?

51 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

FFS, you wonder if they are concerned? If they are not concerned then it really is time for them to go. The loss of income from the secondary spend alone is reason for serious questions to be asked by the Board of the executive team. Just what are they doing to improve the watching experience?

Also Club income from casual attendees has probably more than halved relative to the PL season.

5 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Also Club income from casual attendees has probably more than halved relative to the PL season.

The concourse at half time was virtually empty compared to usual. Didn't have to queue for a thing. There is no question taking would have been down last night. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, East Rider said:

The concourse at half time was virtually empty compared to usual. Didn't have to queue for a thing. There is no question taking would have been down last night. 

To be fair, given how woeful we have been of late then those who do attend are probably driven to drink at half time.

Would it be fair to say that those who have a longish drive or rely on public transport would be most of those who don't bother going on a wintery Wednesday night? When I lived in Norwich I was lucky enough to live within a very short walk to the ground, so at least I knew even if it was a poor game/performance, I'd be home in 10 mins.

4 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

‘It’s cold’ 

‘It was on tv’

’It’s Christmas’

there are no excuses. We are seeing the lowest crowds this club has had for over 20 years because:

a) The football is woeful. I genuinely fell asleep night.

b) We are directionless. There is no hope this season.

c) The messages coming from the club give us nothing to be optimistic about long term and stink of arrogance.

Of this carries on another 6 months, we’re going to get get Chase levels of protest at best, 17,000 crowds of apathy at worst.

3% rise in season tickets - fvvvcking good luck when that hits the doormats.

Is living in Surrey with no realistic way of getting home before 1:30 at a very busy time of year ok for you as a reason?

December pre-Christmas fixtures will always be harder to sell than most, and it has always been well known that the last Saturday before festivities would coincide with a low attendance (so the Huddersfield figure will be interesting). Clearly you can buck the trend if you’re going well (or for a local derby) but we are obviously not in that position at the moment.

Just now, Satriales said:

Would it be fair to say that those who have a longish drive or rely on public transport would be most of those who don't bother going on a wintery Wednesday night? When I lived in Norwich I was lucky enough to live within a very short walk to the ground, so at least I knew even if it was a poor game/performance, I'd be home in 10 mins.

This is probably true. And whilst I have sympathy for that, the executive have to try and recognise this will be an issue and use it as a basis to recruit the new "local" fans for the future. They really need to fix the ST re-selling system so that the holder is properly remunerated for timely surrendering of their ticket when they know they won't attend and access to the ST for casual attenders is accessible, affordable and timely. Even having local school children on standby to receive the ST's has to be a better way of both filling the ground to improve the atmosphere and also to ensure a bit of secondary spend to compensate for the payment to the ST holder.

The lack of imaginative ideas to respond to the decline in real attendance is just a symptom of the total lack of proper engagement with, and development of, our fanbase from the executive. Time for some sharp talking. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

This is probably true. And whilst I have sympathy for that, the executive have to try and recognise this will be an issue and use it as a basis to recruit the new "local" fans for the future. They really need to fix the ST re-selling system so that the holder is properly remunerated for timely surrendering of their ticket when they know they won't attend and access to the ST for casual attenders is accessible, affordable and timely. Even having local school children on standby to receive the ST's has to be a better way of both filling the ground to improve the atmosphere and also to ensure a bit of secondary spend to compensate for the payment to the ST holder.

The lack of imaginative ideas to respond to the decline in real attendance is just a symptom of the total lack of proper engagement with, and development of, our fanbase from the executive. Time for some sharp talking. 

They're doing a few things. The local schools have access to reduced priced tickets, and that includes adult ones. Limited numbers but I know at one school they were all taken up for the upcoming Hudds game.

• Thanks 1