Midlands Yellow

Southampton Predictions

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We will lose - and a total melt down will follow on the board to balance out the over hyping of beating Hull. It’s the Norwich way after all…

This meltdown you mention. Will it be mostly involving you by any chance? 

• Haha 2

Our performance is more important than the result. First big test of Wagnerball when we don't have the ball.

2-0 Soton.

I have memories of going to The Dell in 93 and 94. It’d never been the happiest ground for us but in the former, Chris Sutton belted a beauty home in front of us for a 1-0 win. 

A year later, Sutton had been replaced by Sheron and Southampton smashed us 0-3.

It’s a weird place. JWP going will impact them of course, but it’s hardly a surprise outgoing and I’m sure Runiel Farkin will have someone young & hungry ready to step in and claim JWP’s role. 

My predictions are usually hopelessly wrong and like many fixtures in the opening weeks of the season, it’s practically impossible to know which way any given game could go. But I have a feeling that like 93 & 94, we’ll either sneak it or get thumped. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Dcb doesn't need a loss to trigger a meltdown on here...

• Haha 1

Russ Martins Southampton, Daniels Leeds, Alex Neil's Stoke,  them lot down the road...its going to be a crazy mixed up season.

After a good pre season and a last minute winner against Hull things are just going to well are they not?..on that basis alone and that predictions are just mindless and clueless fun i will say 3-0 to  them. But after just one game anything can happen as no club can have any kind of defining form  yet, good or bad.

Saints are clear favourites and, on paper and on their home ground, should rightly be so.

However, neither club knows exactly where it stands this season. Southampton losing their star player (and others?) and with Russell Martin yet to prove that his attractive style actually has winning ways and Norwich embarking upon a new approach with signings to match it could throw up a surprise result in our favour.

A 1-1 draw is not out of the question by any means.

Fink tank:

Saints 55%

City: 20%

Draw 25%

Edited by BroadstairsR

4 hours ago, mrdi said:

I have memories of going to The Dell in 93 and 94. It’d never been the happiest ground for us but in the former, Chris Sutton belted a beauty home in front of us for a 1-0 win. 

I was at that game. Great goal. I'm not sure I've ever seen a ball struck harder live.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Herman said:

He’s already lighting torches and handing out pitchforks.

5 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Do we think Barnes will start? or Fassnacht for that matter

I would like to see Fassnacht start, drop Onel. Barnes will start, with the hope he can hold up the play and get us further up the pitch.

They may opt for Onel and play more counter attacking football as Southampton will have the ball for the majority of the possession. 

Edited by jaberry2

6 hours ago, mrdi said:

@mrdi

A goal that could have that Partridge 'he must have a foot like a traction engine' commentary over it.

• Like 1

1-1 

We'll score first from a blistering counter attack after a ticky tacky ****-up from sot'on - ball played through to Sarge from Sara and slotted home through the keepers legs

Then we'll let them have the ball as much as they like for their 900+ passes and everything will be looking comfortable.. 

17minutes added on to the second half.. we'll go to sleep from a corner and che Adams will nod home past a statue-like Gunn...

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

I think I've mentioned before but the last time I saw Norwich away at Southampton was in the 80's at the old Dell. We lost 4:0 (in the rain if I recall but it may just be me thinking it was miserable).

So we're due a 2:1 win for us, for me. Welcome back Russ!

I think we underrate our team this year.

I’m struggling to remember us winning at St Mary’s… I think we beat them there once. But, with that in mind, I think it’ll be a 3-2 loss. Hope I’m wrong, however.

Would happily take a draw but I think it will be 3-1 Southampton. We mustn’t get wound up about it but we know the Saints along with Leeds and Leicester are going to be the firm favourites for promotion this season, and that they’re going to be difficult fixtures. Let’s just be glad our first away fixture is against them so we can get one of them out of the way early on

14 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Would happily take a draw but I think it will be 3-1 Southampton. We mustn’t get wound up about it but we know the Saints along with Leeds and Leicester are going to be the firm favourites for promotion this season, and that they’re going to be difficult fixtures. Let’s just be glad our first away fixture is against them so we can get one of them out of the way early on

I think we will draw taking jwp from them is like taking Sara from us, but there still be in promotion mix come may.we will be who knows !

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Could be the best time to play Southampton given they could be without three players (JWP, Lavia and Che Adams) pending transfers. 

I think you're right. They'll still be a hard to beat. We need to keep plugging away with our own style seen last Saturday and hopefully it will pay off. If we lose, keep the faith in tactics. 

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I have done 2 singles and a double on us and Stoke (away at Ipswich) to win. Sorry about that everyone..... 

Don't apologize good luck probably haif decent odds

8 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

@mrdi

A goal that could have that Partridge 'he must have a foot like a traction engine' commentary over it.

I think this justifies one of his "TW4T!" moments.  

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 22:04, norfolkngood said:

Idah to start city win 2-1 

Idah with a Brace ! 

God forbid

• Haha 1