16 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think I'll leave all of you to it.  I plainly know nothing and he is a total waste of time, the club know nothing about football and his national team know nothing about football. Our great and knowledgeable fans think he is rubbish, even though he's had a bad time with injuries and hasn't yet had much chance to play in his best position and clearly lacks a bit of confidence.......yeah, I'll leave you to it. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Good as winning a junior cup is, is it sigificant compared to being a Premier League player and a twice championship winning player? Carlton didn't start scoring significant goals at a high level for anyone until he was 25, so there is time for Adam to find his feet. 

I agree he could have gone out on loan, but Carlton went out on several loans - scored an average of one goal every five to six games at lower league clubs until he was 25.  At 22 and still nearly 5 years younger, Idah has score 10 goals in 71 senior appearances.

Last season he could have done better - but had been out with a long term injury - and lets not forget the whole team was on a downer by the time he came back into it......how is a player supposed to find his best form coming in after a long injury lay off, when the team as a whole is playing cr*p?? 

Leaving the board to it ?

That went well…..😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Leaving the board to it ?

That went well…..😀

Oh yeah, forgot I said that!!! 😆

That's what happens on here though, the more sh*t people write, the more you feel the need to counter it with your own......

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

We don't want a striker to play '3rd fiddle' we want one that is better than what we currently have and therefore will start.

Oh I agree. I'm far from convinced by Sargent, whilst Barnes has never been prolific.

I just don't think another striker is that high up on the list of priorities, which is why I cannot see Idah going out on loan.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tricky974 said:

I like most want Adam Idah to be amazing I want him to develop into a chart busting scorer that defenders don't want to come up against, to be a Norwich City legend, we all want that right.

Currently I want improvement, the right runs, a better first touch, stronger when holding up the ball, making the right decisions, passing improving and shots on target making keepers work, the odd goal every now and again. 

Yes I know he has had injuries and has had limited minutes but he has trained with the first team for sometime and played with Pukki, who is someone you can look at and learn from, I just want to see better on the pitch I want to see development and improvement.

OTBC

Every defender in this league would love to play against idah he'll give them no problems whatsoever , I'm sure he's learnt nothing from pukki. Giving him a five year contract is insane , however I would love him to prove me wrong .otbc

5 hours ago, Conrad said:

We don't want a striker to play '3rd fiddle' we want one that is better than what we currently have and therefore will start.

'Nail on head'! If we fail to sign such a player then I can't see us troubling the promotion places anytime this coming season.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Oh yeah, forgot I said that!!! 😆

That's what happens on here though, the more sh*t people write, the more you feel the need to counter it with your own......

So you’ve finally admitted you write sh1t? 

1 hour ago, Canary dwarf said:

I just feel it's gonna be pressure on sarge to score goals , because I don't really see idah or Barnes scoring many.😄

Exactly and although Sargebt isn't exactly injury prone he, along with his all-action style, has had recent niggles, more latterly his ankle problems;

21/22 Ankle Injury Mar 30, 2022 Jul 1, 2022 93 days 9Norwich City
20/21 Ankle problems Nov 27, 2020 Dec 3, 2020 6 days 1SV Werder Bremen
19/20 Torn Muscle Fibre Dec 5, 2019 Dec 31, 2019 26 days 4SV Werder Bremen

He also missed games last season.

He doesn't miss many games, but it looks like he may need some time out next season.

We are due money in. Apart from that CDM, it would also be remiss of management if they were not to spend a bit on a proven striker alternative.

Edited by BroadstairsR

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Good as winning a junior cup is, is it sigificant compared to being a Premier League player and a twice championship winning player? Carlton didn't start scoring significant goals at a high level for anyone until he was 25, so there is time for Adam to find his feet. 

I agree he could have gone out on loan, but Carlton went out on several loans - scored an average of one goal every five to six games at lower league clubs until he was 25.  At 22 and still nearly 5 years younger, Idah has score 10 goals in 71 senior appearances.

Last season he could have done better - but had been out with a long term injury - and lets not forget the whole team was on a downer by the time he came back into it......how is a player supposed to find his best form coming in after a long injury lay off, when the team as a whole is playing cr*p?? 

So now it is the other 9 outfield players. What next, the ball is the wrong shape  ? How come this latest excuse does not apply to another youngster, Gibbs ? Idah was played because there was no one else. In fact, it could be argued that with another decent striker we could have turned some of those draws into wins, then what ?

You sound as if you don't watch games. If you did then you would see what the rest of us see. He is not up to it. He is 22, not17. What he does in training or out on loan is another matter. Perhaps, eventually, he will come good. But there is no place in a City team as he is. If you had watched him play in the recent RoI game, you have seen someone unable to do the basics quite often. That is not lack of confidence, but lack of competence. Even you and others recognise he isn't playing well, but seem to think he will if given enough time. Fine. Let him do that elsewhere, and come back to City or the first team when he is up to the standard required. NCFC is not a charity.

You are either good enough to warrant the wage, or not. Currently Idah is not. And no amount of excuses from you will convince thousands at Carrow Road, and elsewhere, that he is.

14 minutes ago, RobJames said:

So now it is the other 9 outfield players. What next, the ball is the wrong shape  ? How come this latest excuse does not apply to another youngster, Gibbs ? Idah was played because there was no one else. In fact, it could be argued that with another decent striker we could have turned some of those draws into wins, then what ?

You can't excuse any of them. They were performing badly as a team and that is the point. Very difficult for any one player on his own to play well in that situation. You name any player and none of them played up to the standard required. I watched loads of games last season, not under Smith so much, but all of them under Wagner - and the feeling I got from it was that the collective spirit just wasn't there enough to make the difference. Loads of individual desire, lots of huffing and puffing, but a lack of real direction or cohesion that would have got us into the top 6.

I'd be looking to pre-season, after the players have had a bit of rest and with renewed batteries and then make a judgement about who should be in the team. Idah has talent, but he has clearly lost a bit of direction and not got back to where he was before his injury. A rest, a good pre-season and things can be very different.

On 18/06/2023 at 21:43, lake district canary said:

You can't excuse any of them. They were performing badly as a team and that is the point. Very difficult for any one player on his own to play well in that situation. You name any player and none of them played up to the standard required. I watched loads of games last season, not under Smith so much, but all of them under Wagner - and the feeling I got from it was that the collective spirit just wasn't there enough to make the difference. Loads of individual desire, lots of huffing and puffing, but a lack of real direction or cohesion that would have got us into the top 6.

I'd be looking to pre-season, after the players have had a bit of rest and with renewed batteries and then make a judgement about who should be in the team. Idah has talent, but he has clearly lost a bit of direction and not got back to where he was before his injury. A rest, a good pre-season and things can be very different.

From what I read on here last season, McLean was Pirlo, Modric and Zidane all in one!   Take your point on all the others though.... (and McLean)... nice finish the other night though! 

• Haha 1

Well done to Idah for his first international goal, opposition be damned. Sometimes you just need one to go in.

Let's hope it's somehow the start of a (fairly unlikely) renaissance 

• Like 2

A goal is a goal, and this is an international one, albeit against Gibralter.

What kind of level do they compare to?

2 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Wroxham?

We've found his current level. Next time we play Lincoln Red Imps, we know who to start

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Preston North End 😂

5 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Gibraltar has a population of just 36,000 so you can guess their standard.

It is possible to support one of our players. Hammering them all the time is not very productive. 

• Like 1

Have very little Faith in our current strikers but would like to be proven wrong

Both Sarg and Adam are very Injury prone for starters

I would like to support Idah. But the only times that I have personally seen him play he has come on as a substitute and then disappeared. He seemed lost and unsure of his role and had poor positional play and for a big man was easily shrugged off the ball. He needs to put himself about and worry defences and not stroll around looking forlorn 

9 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Well, Gibraltar's last three matches have all been 3-0 defeats, against Ireland, France and the Netherlands.

The attackers that France brought on as subs were Ousmane Dembele, Randal Kolo Muani and Christopher Nkunku. The attackers the Netherlands brought on were Donyell Malen and Cody Gakpo. Ireland brought on Troy Parrott and Adam Idah. 

Guess who was the only one of this elite bunch to score? 

• Like 1

I think the real point is that we go into this season taking a massive gamble if our strikers remain as they currently are. Barnes has never been a prolific scorer, Sarge is the only serious contender to make it - but has a poor first touch and seems to blow hot and cold. And idah is no longer that young and has failed to convince. 

Now step back and - without prejudice- compare that to likely stroke force of other top half championship hopefuls. Not looking pretty is it? Go ask a neutral if you doubt me. 

Most teams losing their talismanic main 20 goal a season striker would spend big to replace. We seem to have gone for the bargain bucket ageing free signing that is Ashley Barnes. He will undoubtedly be a good mentor to idah and Sarge but if they are our main options- barring a miracle- I think we can safely expect mid table at best. Or worse if sarge gets injured 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I think the real point is that we go into this season taking a massive gamble if our strikers remain as they currently are. Barnes has never been a prolific scorer, Sarge is the only serious contender to make it - but has a poor first touch and seems to blow hot and cold. And idah is no longer that young and has failed to convince. 

Now step back and - without prejudice- compare that to likely stroke force of other top half championship hopefuls. Not looking pretty is it? Go ask a neutral if you doubt me. 

Most teams losing their talismanic main 20 goal a season striker would spend big to replace. We seem to have gone for the bargain bucket ageing free signing that is Ashley Barnes. He will undoubtedly be a good mentor to idah and Sarge but if they are our main options- barring a miracle- I think we can safely expect mid table at best. Or worse if sarge gets injured 

Always worth baring in mind that Celtic fans consider(ed) Pukki a downgrade on Gary Hooper when considering this tosh. Only 3 players scored 20 or more last season and two of those didn't get promoted - so the mythical 20 goal a season striker who takes you up doesn't really correspond to the likelihood of promotion. Of the one who scored 20 and got promoted imagine the negative spiel from DCB if we had gone into last season with Carlton Morris as our main striker. As context Sheffield United went up with a top scorer at 14.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

It is possible to support one of our players. Hammering them all the time is not very productive. 

Yeah, but they've added caveat 'hope I'm proven wrong' and even an 'OTBC' for good measure. Makes them feel better.

• Haha 2