1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

In those 4 years he’s suffered injury often and hardly had a run in his position….. agree a loan to gain experience and confidence might be the best option but otherwise he needs

when opportunity arises to play up front only

a functioning team

a coach who knows the position and how to get the best out of him 

a playing style and that complements his game

He’s not living off that hat trick except in some peoples heads, he just happened to score it.    Like Tzolis, he’s been poorly mis-managed by the club and add to that the fan frustrations, it’s no wonder he’s lacking confidence.      

If he doesn’t recover the confidence, we may never see the potential realised but that’s probably not his fault!   

Not for me ged, he is falling into the flogging a dead horse category. 

Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

There’s reasons for that as I suggest!    Confidence is massive at this level.   

I respect that ged, but as I said, maybe 2-3 year contract and a loan out would have been a better way to lift the lads confidence. I also think the 5 year deal is a millstone of expectation for him.

I seem to remember a (sort of similar) situation with Ian Henderson several years back, in so much that he showed some potential, and had the managers backing, but didn't come up with the goods consistently, and history proved that he never really did anything great, in fact I'm quite sure he found his level below Championship standard.

As much as I would love to see Idah do well, I feel he will likely be the same.

Just send him out on loan. A League One team will happily take an international. 

If he comes good elsewhere, great - means there’s something to work with after all. 

If he doesn’t come good, it’d prove a lot of people right and it’d probably be time to cut our losses, move on. 

Either way, this stringing out of hope/expectation/promise/potential etc etc is beyond tedious and is doing nobody any good. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I respect that ged, but as I said, maybe 2-3 year contract and a loan out would have been a better way to lift the lads confidence. I also think the 5 year deal is a millstone of expectation for him.

I seem to remember a (sort of similar) situation with Ian Henderson several years back, in so much that he showed some potential, and had the managers backing, but didn't come up with the goods consistently, and history proved that he never really did anything great, in fact I'm quite sure he found his level below Championship standard.

As much as I would love to see Idah do well, I feel he will likely be the same.

I think you may be right, I’m saying it’s not his fault for various reasons but you wouldn’t believe it reading this thread.    There’s not one poster here that wouldn’t sign that 5 yr contract…. again not his fault.     But most posters don’t factor in the reasons why he’s not performed and why he seems to be getting worse…… remember that spell against Everton, West Ham and Watford and others before the injury?   There was potential!

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

132 career appearances.71 for Norwich ( yes,a lot from bench). 61 for R O I, from U16,U17,U18,U19,U21 and seniors.

29 goals. 6 for NCFC. 23 goals for ROI.All of those between U16 and U21. Do the maths. Sorry, but it aint going to happen here. He's 22 any potential would surely by now,have kicked in.

He’s clearly not good enough and can’t really see how anyone is really arguing any different. Whether that is due to confidence or ability may be to some extent up for debate (I’d say it’s a league 1 ability and lack of confidence not helping).

I really hope we send him on loan for his and the clubs good. I’m hoping wagner was giving him a go last season due to pressure from Webber to try and justify the  ridiculous 5 year contract (thanks for that parting gift Stuart..p ing more money up the wall!). 
but if Wagner does persist in playing him then I will be even more concerned about his managerial ability.

Reminds me of Ryan Jarvis. He scored an early wonder goal that made everyone think he was the next Rooney. He then went through a period failing to impress and then found his level much, much lower down the football pyramid. Just saying…

We had all this with Redmond.  Showed great potential to start with then went off the boil, so much that he started getting stick from fans, lost his way a bit, but eventually came good as he found a bit of confidence and maturity. No loans needed, just time.

Injuries have played a part in Adam's development - so has the fact Pukki has for long been the first striker. Time is all he needs and with Pukki leaving, a good pre-season and a bit of confidence, we'll see him do well next season.

11 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Whatever is said about him on here, it's not going to have impacted his performance tonight. Giving him a five-year contract looks a bizarre decision given his output on the pitch for club and country. I don't think there's a single Norwich fan who doesn't want him to do well, but sadly he seems miles away from repaying the faith we've put in him. Genuinely think we'd be better off loaning him out to get him out of the limelight for a bit, see if he can get a run of games and goals going at a lower level.

Webber’s way of making NCFC supporters pay

11 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Whatever is said about him on here, it's not going to have impacted his performance tonight. Giving him a five-year contract looks a bizarre decision given his output on the pitch for club and country. I don't think there's a single Norwich fan who doesn't want him to do well, but sadly he seems miles away from repaying the faith we've put in him. Genuinely think we'd be better off loaning him out to get him out of the limelight for a bit, see if he can get a run of games and goals going at a lower level.

This 5 year contract is such a stupid stick to beat with though.

We have no idea on wages or performance related criteria.

We do know Adam is still young for a striker and won't reach his peak for another 3-4 years.

We know Adam has done more at this point of his career than for example Morris had done.

Whilst I am sure that he would have benefited loan at some stage in his career, I for one, have little doubt that Idah has all the attributes to be a top class striker. He has yet to gain consistency, but he has also never really had a run of games to develop this, however, when you look at the "raw materials" - strength, pace, movement, decent touch etc - he has the qualities to be a really good striker. He only turned 22 in February.

As for the five year deal, I'm glad that the club has the courage of its convictions and is taking a long-term view.

• Like 1

Idah looks destined to play another support/bit part role this season, with Sarg ahead of him.

It is now essential Idah goes on loan to play regular football to see if he can kick on, get his confidence and progress.

It just isn't going to happen here at NCFC this season

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We do know Adam is still young for a striker and won't reach his peak for another 3-4 years.

We know Adam has done more at this point of his career than for example Morris had done.

I appreciate what you’re saying but if you’re looking at Idah in relation to promotion push we don’t have 3/4 years to wait for his peak and offer anymore patience. I’m in the camp of him having this season to kick on and draw a line under it

To add to this, it would be good for the club to issue some kind of statement regarding a plan again - like McNally / Webber did in their tenures. It gives fans an expectation of what we’re aiming for and this fits into the Idah narrative, if we’re attempting a 2/3 yr rebuild then we’re offering longer contracts to younger players for this reason. At the moment I just don’t see what our plan is other than every other team’s plan in the Championship: promotion. 

Edited by Danke bitte
More rambling

14 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I appreciate what you’re saying but if you’re looking at Idah in relation to promotion push we don’t have 3/4 years to wait for his peak and offer anymore patience. I’m in the camp of him having this season to kick on and draw a line under it

To add to this, it would be good for the club to issue some kind of statement regarding a plan again - like McNally / Webber did in their tenures. It gives fans an expectation of what we’re aiming for and this fits into the Idah narrative, if we’re attempting a 2/3 yr rebuild then we’re offering longer contracts to younger players for this reason. At the moment I just don’t see what our plan is other than every other team’s plan in the Championship: promotion. 

It depends on the clubs expectation for him this season. Which I guess we will know depending on if we buy another striker or not.

The five year contract doesn't restrict us though - it opens up the floor to long term loans, with no risk of losing him. 

The worst case scenario is he never kicks on and he sits on a contract where the wages could be very low and performance based anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

I want Adam to come good....but, I wonder how many of the 'better' Championship clubs would tolerate or have the patience to stick by him?....Players do have fluctuations in form although he has (injuries aside) not really shown consistent promise....Something's gotta give....

Didn't Webber say in his Scrimnage interview that he didn't think any Championship club had two strkers as good as Sargent and Idah . Maybe he would like to sign them both for Leeds when he gets there ?  Somehow I doubt it .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We’ve had some crap strikers at Norwich over the years, some had the talent but we’re lazy or with an attitude, some were donkeys but would put in a shift and never hid.

With Idah you have a ‘young’ player with money in the bank for little return, doesn’t score, gets knocked off the ball, doesn’t have any natural positional ability but more than anything, just doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough, which is inexcusable. 

I really want him to come good, for our sake as much as his, but he's way off it. I watched the Ireland game yesterday and he really was pretty poor, apart from a couple of free kick wins he was awful and replaced at half time with a out of position second rate winger up front.

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

We’ve had some crap strikers at Norwich over the years, some had the talent but we’re lazy or with an attitude, some were donkeys but would put in a shift and never hid.

With Idah you have a ‘young’ player with money in the bank for little return, doesn’t score, gets knocked off the ball, doesn’t have any natural positional ability but more than anything, just doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough, which is inexcusable. 

Exactly. Been saying this all along. Touch of a bagatelle table,and if you watch his movement for any length of time in a game,which i have done,it is very poor. These are basics,and if he has'nt grasped it by now,at 22,he won't. Fergason has passed him by at the ROI,and he's what, 18?

• Like 1

The trouble is you can't actually say Idah is good because hes never proved it.

He might be young snd have potential but agsin he hasnt shown his potential, only the occasional glimpse.

If we assume we aren't going for another striker then this year really has to be the year he shows it.

Imo with the 5 year contract bagged, thia year is the perfect time to send him on loan at lower efl or below so he gets regular starts and to see if he really can progress

15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Oh good grief, can't we give it a rest? He is one of our players, playing for his national team. HE NEEDS OUR SUPPORT. 

For how much longer tho - I am all for giving support but for most of us we can see the guy does not have what it takes - are we supposed to support after another 3 years of doin nothing - after all we have berated managers and players alike so what is the difference with this apparent Golden Boy 

The five year contract is quite smart it takes the pressure off Adam no need to play for a contract. Likewise if he explodes which there is some potential for we have him tied to a long term contract.

Can you imagine if we have him a one year contract he then scores 15 goals and walks away for nothing.

I'm afraid Idah does not have what is needed. Talk of lack of confidence is just a polite way of saying lack of ability. You only have to watch him playing.

Others who recently went out on loan, such as Maddison, Mumba, Cantwell looked the part but were not going to be regulars, so gain experience elsewhere until they were. Gibbs hit the ground running. Idah does not have the odd off day. Every day or game is off. I have not seen any promise or suggestion he will come good  Or, reach the level required to be a Championship player. Subbed by Ireland at half time merely confirmed what most of us already know.

Edited by RobJames

15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Oh good grief, can't we give it a rest? He is one of our players, playing for his national team. HE NEEDS OUR SUPPORT. 

You mean like Snodgrass was one of our players playing for his National team? Didn’t stop you slating him did it? 

Edited by TheBaldOne66

5 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

I have avoided taking part in Adam Idah threads mostly, but no-one could, in their right mind come to the conclusion that he has the quality to fill the role of goalscorer for us. 

The 5 year contract, and repeated starts seem misjudged to me, yes give him say a 2 year contract and loan him out for a year to see if he develops, but long before this 5 year one is up, I'm convinced he'll simply slip into obscurity.

And yet he is lauded by club and country they must know something we don’t 

Idah is rubbish. I seem to say the same thing every appearance he plays. As someone said, I’d love him to do well, because ultimately it means we are getting goals and he us having a positive impact, but on a forum where opinions are perfectly reasonable I think he is total bilge and I’m never going to be excited when he is brought in. I’ve been wrong about a player before, I was very critical of Vrancic and he totally proved me wrong, which made me happy to be wrong. Idah hasn’t proved anything tbh, even his goal vs Everton in that game that made us feel survival under Smith was possible (god how wrong we were) was actually a bit fortunate and mis-controlled. 

12 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

You mean like Snodgrass was one of our players playing for his National team? Didn’t stop you slating him did it? 

Snodgrass was a mature, supposedly experienced player, who tried to be a one man team. That is far worse in my book that a young player trying to make his way, but who has twice been out quite long term injured or played out of position too many times because our star striker was rarely injured or out of the team. 

Smith and Shaky actually started to get the best from him and he looked very effective, but then got injured and since back from that injury has not yet regained his form.  But he will - and the club plainly believe that - and the least we can do is support him in that process. 

Have people actually looked at that Everton game and seen what he can do? Did people not see the games he played under SAS where he looked powerful and positive?  Probably yes, but as usual, people like to be negative about him. 

He is struggling for form, that is all - and good players usually find their form sooner or later.

• Haha 1

How anybody can continue to defend and make excuses for this boy after all this time beats me.

The very best that can be said for him is that the jury is still out (as ever.)

The next few months must surely represent the last chance saloon for Adam Idah ... and that's being generous.

He pales into total insignificance when pitted against some of the great strikers we've had in the past, and he's no longer a novice or a prospect. His time has come to prove his worth.

That Ireland episode mentioned speaks volumes.

Edited by BroadstairsR

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Agree on the 5 year contract; that's the club's fault, not his. Your other points are purely based on faith, not any evidence.

- We don't "know" that Adam will reach his peak in 3-4 years, or what his peak will eventually be. If anything the trajectory is in the opposite direction. 

- The Morris point is just cherry picking an extreme case (ie anecdotal fallacy). Just because sometimes footballers "come good" later in their careers, doesn't mean we should assume all of them will; 99% of them won't. 

If you look at the actual evidence (in terms of his performance), he's not done enough to justify a place in the squad next season. The lad needs regular playing time, and he won't get that at this level. Plus, there is a huge amount of pressure on him now now. It would be a huge misstep by the club if they don't find him a loan spot next season. As @mrdi says above, it would serve no-one if he's still in the squad. Sending him on loan is win/win. Obviously we need a replacement, but that goes without saying anyway. 

• Like 1