cambridgeshire canary

Pink'Un reporting that Ashley Barnes deal done

A lot depends on his wage 

great Cover / good Experience / strong and will get suck in like a Grant Holt ,

poor goal return is my worry 

3 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I wish I had 33 year old legs too 😂

To be fair, my 42 year old legs are fitter than my 33 year old ones.

Burnley forums very much praising him and he was discussed as a possible ‘most improved’ player after adapting well to Kompany’s style. 

He is not marquee or hugely exciting as s signing, but as I’ve written before, free transfer, ready made experience of this league, decent experience higher up too. Sarge and maybe Idah have a chance to pick up on his more aggressive attributes to hopefully improve their own game. 

Being realistic, we would never afford a 20+ goal striker of any renown without having zilch to spend elsewhere on what is a big rebuild, our biggest problem for ages has been our defence and defensive midfield. Spend big here, stop conceding every single attack that comes our way and that’s half the battle won. If it works out, in a year or two of building then see if we can get in a pricey goal scorer having a solid foundation already present.

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

Burnley forums very much praising him and he was discussed as a possible ‘most improved’ player after adapting well to Kompany’s style. 

He is not marquee or hugely exciting as s signing, but as I’ve written before, free transfer, ready made experience of this league, decent experience higher up too. Sarge and maybe Idah have a chance to pick up on his more aggressive attributes to hopefully improve their own game. 

Being realistic, we would never afford a 20+ goal striker of any renown without having zilch to spend elsewhere on what is a big rebuild, our biggest problem for ages has been our defence and defensive midfield. Spend big here, stop conceding every single attack that comes our way and that’s half the battle won. If it works out, in a year or two of building then see if we can get in a pricey goal scorer having a solid foundation already present.

Have to disagree. Until we  lost Hanley, Gibson and McLean the defence was OK. It was the attack. One goal in four drawn games would have had us in the play offs. Pukki had certainly seen better days by Xmas. Hugill was about as much use as one legged man in an arz kicking contest, Idah an unseated horse galloping along In the Grand National and little else.

Had we have kept Ramsey, perhaps brought in a striker rather than Marquois it would have been different.

How good the missing three will be next season has to be seen. Omo cannot rely upon constantly shirt tugging. I suspect Aarons will be off as we won't be able to offer the contract a PL club would.  The saving grace has been the development of Gunn. We will do well to hold onto him, only his love of the club will keep him here. Though the good news is being Championship has not stopped him beginning his Scotland career.

8 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Irrelevant as you are not an elite athlete playing at the top levels of professional football. His turning 34 two months into the season means he is on the decline…he’s older than Pukki 

25 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Irrelevant as you are not an elite athlete playing at the top levels of professional football. His turning 34 two months into the season means he is on the decline…he’s older than Pukki 

I think it's called a joke. You know, humour? Funny? The hahas? A lol. A ROFL. A 😂

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1

Webber and Wagner have hit rock bottom in terms of any planned direction for this Club. Signing a 33 year old player, soon to be 34, demonstrates no ambition just a knee jerk reaction to criticism after a disastrous season of mid table mediocrity. If Ashley Barnes is such an asset why was he not taken forward into next season by his former Club ? If Webber had a strategic plan for the direction of this Club it is now revealed as being a busted flush. Appointing an old chum as head coach, backing him after a pathetic last 11 games (only 1 win), signing old unwanted cast offs and refusing to engage with the Supporters. How far has this Club fallen in two years under his watch? The plan appears to be to keep friends and family usefully employed in a head long nosedive into the lower divisions.

• Like 1

I think we need to see what all the recruitment is before slagging off any deal for Barnes. He’s just part of the jigsaw and he featured most weeks for this years champions in spite of his age.

15 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

If Ashley Barnes is such an asset why was he not taken forward into next season by his former Club ? 

I'm not particularly for or against Barnes as I'm pretty apathetic to Norwich in general at the moment... but remember when we went up under Worthington and let Malky go? Didn't Malky go on to get promoted with West Ham? and then again with Watford?

Ashley Barnes will be a decent addition for The Championship. More important though, will be The Midfielder / s we sign. This is where we will need The Bite. And hopefully, the Biting Midfielder will be fit enough to play 40+ games in one season. Unlike Normann or Haydn.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Age is not the only factor though is it?  

Luca Modric, the Captain of Spanish super club Real Madrid, currently in the semi final of the Champions league is a 5'7" giant in the game, at a sprightly 37 years young!

Have him here in heart beat

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

You got two pairs of legs?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes, because Ibrahimovic, Modric, Dzeko, Giroud are all clapped-out has-beens in their late 30s/early 40s.

Sure, players will tend to physically decline a little when they get to their mid thirties, but with greater awareness of sports science, players are often capable of extending their careers even at this rarefied level. Furthermore, players tend to decline at different rates and ages, hence the examples named. If we get two decent years out of him, he brings along Sargent and Idah in terms of teaching them how to play, and I think @Google Bot said it could help toughen up our young defenders training against him, he could be a grand signing, especially with no transfer fee involved.

9 minutes ago, BigFish said:

You got two pairs of legs?

Well, half-marathon PB in Riga last weekend, and over three minutes faster than what it was when I was 33. 😉

We seem to have rotten luck with injuries over the past few years.

I'm not against signing Barnes solely on account of his age, but he has to be 1 of 2 strikers we bring in over the summer. It's a risk but we need to mitigate it and strengthen our striking options as post Pukki they look pretty weak.

I don't want to talk it up but if Barnes gets an injury early doors can you imagine the meltdown on here?

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We seem to have rotten luck with injuries over the past few years.

I'm not against signing Barnes solely on account of his age, but he has to be 1 of 2 strikers we bring in over the summer. It's a risk but we need to mitigate it and strengthen our striking options as post Pukki they look pretty weak.

I don't want to talk it up but if Barnes gets an injury early doors can you imagine the meltdown on here?

I cannot help but recall the time ITFC brought in the ageing Jon Walters a few years ago. It was a somewhat desperate move, and he was unveiled for a derby game against us. He was actually quite influential in that game and helped raise their level.

Unfortunately, he succumbed to an injury not long after that and hardly played again.

I would hope that the age factor is the only parallel. 

10 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Idah an unseated horse galloping along In the Grand National 

So very cruel, but unfortunately so very apt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soldier on said:

I think we need to see what all the recruitment is before slagging off any deal for Barnes. He’s just part of the jigsaw and he featured most weeks for this years champions in spite of his age.

Exactly this.

If we end up with 5 or 6 players in their 30's on freebies then I'd raise an eyebrow. But we've also been linked with Cashin from Derby (in his early 20's) a winger from France who is 25 and a 19 year old fullback. So it sounds like Barnes in the exception rather than a new strategy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Exactly this.

If we end up with 5 or 6 players in their 30's on freebies then I'd raise an eyebrow. But we've also been linked with Cashin from Derby (in his early 20's) a winger from France who is 25 and a 19 year old fullback. So it sounds like Barnes in the exception rather than a new strategy.

And I'd argue it's always been our strategy, nothing has changed other than him potentially being our first signing. We've signed Hanley, Gibson and more relevantly Rhodes under Webber and none of those were surely with re-sale value in mind.

I think Barnes is a good signing he is strong and can hold up the ball, can bring others into play, he is good in the air so good from an attacking and defensive point of view, does he improve what we have ....yes with out a doubt and maybe that's not saying much as we have been so poor this season.

Maybe he would not score tons of goals in a season but currently if Idah and Barnes were on the bench and you needed a goal I think its Barnes you bring on.

He has the desire and attitude in which we have recently seriously been lacking.

His age doesn't bother me he is roughly the same age as Pukki and I would have been happy for him to stay, and other than that when we signed Dion Dublin he was 37 and i thought what the hell are we signing a player of his age for, but Dion was fantastic for us for 2 seasons, a complete professional and made us better, hands up on that one I was completely wrong.

Barnes would have had a few options in terms of where he could have gone next season and I think, things would have looked worse for us if a player like Barnes may have gone elsewhere, how bad does it look after you roll out the red carpet and have a stadium tour and then they sign elsewhere.

If he turns out to be our next Grant Holt, great. Our next Steven Naismith, not so great.

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yes, because Ibrahimovic, Modric, Dzeko, Giroud are all clapped-out has-beens in their late 30s/early 40s.

Sure, players will tend to physically decline a little when they get to their mid thirties, but with greater awareness of sports science, players are often capable of extending their careers even at this rarefied level. Furthermore, players tend to decline at different rates and ages, hence the examples named. If we get two decent years out of him, he brings along Sargent and Idah in terms of teaching them how to play, and I think @Google Bot said it could help toughen up our young defenders training against him, he could be a grand signing, especially with no transfer fee involved.

Well, half-marathon PB in Riga last weekend, and over three minutes faster than what it was when I was 33. 😉

Why don't you run with one 33 year old leg and one 42 year old leg? One right & one left obviously, im not stupid. 

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

Signing Barnes proves that Burnley are the leaders and we are the followers.

The  league table  proves that you Dolt. So desperate to make your point that you only reinforce mine.... that you are a money grabbing disingenuous liar.  

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Why don't you run with one 33 year old leg and one 42 year old leg? One right & one left obviously, im not stupid. 

Probably go round in a circle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

And I'd argue it's always been our strategy, nothing has changed other than him potentially being our first signing. We've signed Hanley, Gibson and more relevantly Rhodes under Webber and none of those were surely with re-sale value in mind.

To be fair Gibson was 27 and Hanley was 25 (which amazed me when I just googled it) when they signed, so not quite comparable to a 33, soon to be 34 year old. 

It is undoubtedly a bit of a departure from our norm but I think it's a welcome one to be honest.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Exactly this.

I agree with this entirely. 

We may have an opinion on a signing but none of us know as we don’t have the full picture.

The last couple of years have been terrible recruitment wise but in isolation each individual signing at the time made some sort of logical sense I feel…individually.

No one signing is the issue, it’s the bigger picture of how it all fits together that sets us up for success or not.

• Like 1