Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Cant see anywhere that Tomkinson ended up going to Bradford on loan as was being rumoured.

If thats the case, I suppose we've still got the numbers in that dept, as to whether the overall quality is mainrained , until Hanley returns  , is a different matter

Good spot, I'd forgotten about JT amongst the late flurry of activity. Seems that didn't go through and Warner stayed despite a loan being mentioned so including Hanley we have six centre halves so there shouldn't be any worries in that department. Even if we get a couple of injuries we have two exciting home grown talents to step in. 

Lots of negativity around last night but I'm happy with the squad, it always rankles when money comes in and little is spent but the squad looks balanced with bodies and cover in all positions once everyone is fit. And lots of experience.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Pessimistic- Delia has bagged a load of cash

optimistic - we have a little mini war chest in January for a push for promotion if it’s looking good then?

And a new Sporting Director on the way and still a bit of value in Gunn, Rowe and Sara.

This season feels like a stepping stone to greater things.

Great moves, sold a couple of young guns who had been at the group and earnt a move away, trimmed the wage bill a bit and brought in steady heads and young talent.

Championship nous is in the building, leaders, experience and showing they are working well at the start of the season.

4 strikers who can find the net is exciting, all have experience and will be a challenge for any champ defence with different skill sets. The bench looks deeper and, stronger and physical.

Fassnacht who hopefully could be a steal.

Sainz, we look forward to his progression and then developing a group in the u21s with additions from Portugal, Brazil and now a talented Man City prospect.

It's going to be exciting to see how both teams perform and develop this season for now and the years to come.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

And a new Sporting Director on the way and still a bit of value in Gunn, Rowe and Sara.

This season feels like a stepping stone to greater things.

If Idah hits the ground running (he’s had a good start to be fair) and we stay lucky on CB injuries we ain’t got a problem in my eyes.

Omo was always moving on, looks like we got a good fee, job done

What i dont understand is if Batth was our No.1 transfer target, why did we wait to sell AO before getting him in? Batth reported to be a free transfer its not like Norwich were waiting for the funds to go out and sign a new centre half just doesnt add up to me.

I love the fact all those who won’t challenge the club in any way are now all posting about how crap Omobamadele was and we got a great deal! Yet this is a guy just bought by a premier club for a potential £20 million! The the same people are trying to justify a freebie from Sunderland who is surplus to their requirements! As for Hwang, we shall see, another winger type attacker when we have 6 of these already not really a replacement for Sargent was he!

Not that I really care as we can’t do anything but hope that the season continues in line with the great start we’ve had! But really we’ve spent a very small sum this window and got in some very solid old pros, while losing a lot of younger talent Tzolis, Rashica, Omobamadele, Mumba & Aaron’s.

I’m looking forwards to seeing Sainz when he’s finally fit.

Overall until yesterday it’s been a very productive window with the correct players and experience put in place we lacked and the character put back into the squad, yesterday was really flat, I was expecting a little more than we got given we sold in excess of £40 million and spent a couple million in its place this summer. But that’s not unexpected given we must be cautious financially, for security of our future.

Edited by Indy

51 minutes ago, Paul101 said:

so we sold our 4th choice centreback if everyone is fit

seems a deal to me was terrorfied with Omo on the pitch everytime anyone attacked

Not quite sure how you’ve worked out he’s 4th choice Its pretty obvious that he hasn’t been playing as his departure was on the cards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pegz said:

What i dont understand is if Batth was our No.1 transfer target, why did we wait to sell AO before getting him in? Batth reported to be a free transfer its not like Norwich were waiting for the funds to go out and sign a new centre half just doesnt add up to me.

Additional wages and too many CB's if Omo didn't leave

5 minutes ago, Pegz said:

With Tomkinson looking to be staying, if Omo too stayed we didn't need Batth, with Omos move sanctioned we went and signed him. Makes entire sense to me. He was only ever being signed as a replacement and for a backup player

I don't expect Batth to just sit there and wait for someone to get injured. A drop in form for either Duffy and Gibson and he will be in.

If Hanley can get fit by end of January then I would expect one of Tomkinson or Warner to go out on loan.

The moaning contingent make me wonder what planet they are on, let’s get some perspective.

Sold Ono for a few million, a youngster with potential but who has not developed further in the last year and replaced with a much older defender on only a years contract for free. It’s a stop gap cover signing replacing another cover defender unless he uproots trees.

The Korean International is another stop gap signing to potentially cover Sarg or replace Idah if he fails. Comparing scoring records can be misleading, for instance some of his playing time was on the wing.

lastly the permanent free signing of a young striker from Man City who could prove to be a gem or fail but that applies to all the U21 squad.

lastly as I said in a previous post why moan now when most of us have limited knowledge of the new players unless you get a kick out of being negative ? If after a few weeks they all appear to be poor signings then moan away to your hearts content but give the poor sods a chance !

• Like 1

Slightly concerned we've signed too many 30+ year olds I can't lie... but we can't complain at how the season has started and Wagner seems to have brought a real togetherness into the squad so sit back, get behind them and enjoy the ride. We've got a chance this year, no doubt.

• Like 2

Went out last night and had a few beers, expecting very little to happen.

Woke up to unbridled chaos on here.

I've updated Contract Conundrums, but now I've got to power through my hangover by taking the nieces to Pleasurewood Hills.

Anyone got any handle on the Omobamidele transfer fee? Transfermarkt says 12.85m euros, but that seems a little low given the figures that were bandied about previously...

6 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Went out last night and had a few beers, expecting very little to happen.

Woke up to unbridled chaos on here.

I've updated Contract Conundrums, but now I've got to power through my hangover by taking the nieces to Pleasurewood Hills.

Anyone got any handle on the Omobamidele transfer fee? Transfermarkt says 12.85m euros, but that seems a little low given the figures that were bandied about previously...

Stu’s club record bid rejection claim looks all the more questionable 

We got replacements in for the players we lost this week (one sold and one injured), and that was the bare minimum. There were points around 9-10pm last night where I feared that replacements wouldn't be forthcoming and that would've wrecked our season.

Batth should hopefully be a better signing than many are giving him credit for, but I've never seen Hwang play and he's a total unknown. Obviously we need to give him a chance, but he's 31 and we want promotion, so he needs to start performing relatively quickly.

Just now, S_81 said:

Or it could be one of those bids where there was very little up front and a lot of add-ons, some less likely than others. Thought it was telling that some of the reports were that the add-ons in this Forest bid for Omo were achievable.

Not sure if we got a sell-on clause in there as well, but I hope we make that standard when selling all youngsters.

Stolen from Twitter/X and added to the ‘rate our window’ thread, but I must say it looks better this way. Midfield especially. 

IMG_0085.jpeg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pegz said:

Because if no one came in for AO we wouldn't have needed DB 

5 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Slightly concerned we've signed too many 30+ year olds I can't lie... but we can't complain at how the season has started and Wagner seems to have brought a real togetherness into the squad so sit back, get behind them and enjoy the ride. We've got a chance this year, no doubt.

At the same time we seem to have acquired more promising youngsters than ever before. It seems to have become obsessive.

Centre-backs, forwards, you name it. I liked particularly the idea of the centre back from Ireland and the Citeh striker, but they all come with promise, but, in truth, I've lost track of them all. "Webber's babies" (as emphasised by his wife in her recent interview.)

I see these "veterans" as a necessary stop gap, and hopefully more until we once again our place in the riches in order to have that customary one season there in order to get the paras.

Not sure about Kueng(?) Strange history with Forest buying him and then immediately loaning him to Sampdoria and now coming to us without ever playing for them. A YouTube star as is commonplace, but the level of opposition is unclear.

I'll reserve on this one until he plays in the yellow, but Forest's initial interest should indicate something.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would say Webber and Wagner had a difficult job this window. To get rid of some high earners; to sell off one or two assets (in some cases also being those high earners) because of the debt the club has got into; to bring in players to suit Wagner’s preferred style, and to provide the squad with the backbone and nous it clearly lacked; within those financial limits to do as well as possible to replace any departing talent: to not ignore the future and so to bring in some young players who won’t immediately be ready for the first-team squad. And all that with the sudden disruption of Sargent being out for months rather than weeks.

it is all a question of opinions, but on that basis I would award Webber and Wagner a pretty high mark for this window (this being written on the assumption the Sargent replacement is arriving). Probably eight out of ten. Some of the more pessimistic assessments here seem to me to bear little relation to the reality of the club’s position.

Edited by PurpleCanary

At the moment the first team picks itself. 

We now have stronger back up. 

Too many just like to moan and whinge about anything the club does. None of us know the true financial picture at the club but financially we are also better off after yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, S_81 said:

I guess it could be something like £12-14m up front with a bunch of add-ons.

• Like 1

Batth is a better defender than Gibson too. So hopefully we get better at the back as well

Edited by jaberry2

9 hours ago, horsefly said:

The negativity is weird. We have lost just one player today who has not started a game in our best ever start to a season. We got £20m (potentially) for him. We have replaced him with a player who looks a very solid addition to cover for this year (a player who won player of the season for Sunderland last year). We are likely to have brought in a very talented player to cover for Sargent's injury, a player who looks (from the vid posted) to bring something different from what we already have. Why the misery?

Agree with that, except to note that I think there's every chance that AO would have been a starter this season had we not been intending to sell him.

At which point can we thank terminally yellow for his foresight in creating this thread and ask him to live up to his billing and terminate it.

I have woken up now September has come.

Enjoy your football folks.

I bet this idea doesn't work  but you never know.

COYY

I would say Webber and Wagner had a difficult job this window. To get rid of some high earners; to sell off one or two assets (in some cases also being those high earners) because of the debt the club has got into; to bring in players to suit Wagner’s preferred style, and to provide the squad with the backbone and nous it clearly lacked; within those financial limits to do as well as possible to replace any departing talent: to not ignore the future and so to bring in some young players who won’t immediately be ready for the first-team squad. And all that with the sudden disruption of Sargent being out for months rather than weeks.

it is all a question of opinions, but on that basis I would award Webber and Wagner a pretty high mark for this window (this being written on the assumption the Sargent replacement is arriving). Probably eight out of ten. Some of the more pessimistic assessments here seem to me to bear little relation to the reality of the club’s position.

One of the ironies is that we have had to cut costs because the club for once actually did what some posters called for and overspent. And not entirely on the right players, or at least not on the right players for that time.

In terms of the big picture, this month should see the details of the new share allocation earmarked for Attanasio. Fans should not get too excited about this development.

That money, however much it turns out to be, is destined for other purposes than immediate squad building. And the short- to medium-term plan is not for him to bankroll us in the transfer market. Organic growth rather than splash the cash plurges.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

Edited by PurpleCanary

Edited by PurpleCanary