Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

25 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

I see your point.. but the word ‘much’ is open to quite a bit of interpretation. How long can a club avoid regression when they only spend 4.6% of the income generated on player sales with replacements? (The less than 5% figure comes from the quoted fees on pinkun transfer page and I don’t vouch for their complete accuracy).  

I would say Webber and Wagner had a difficult job this window. To get rid of some high earners; to sell off one or two assets (in some cases also being those high earners) because of the debt the club has got into; to bring in players to suit Wagner’s preferred style, and to provide the squad with the backbone and nous it clearly lacked; within those financial limits to do as well as possible to replace any departing talent: to not ignore the future and so to bring in some young players who won’t immediately be ready for the first-team squad. And all that with the sudden disruption of Sargent being out for months rather than weeks.

it is all a question of opinions, but on that basis I would award Webber and Wagner a pretty high mark for this window (this being written on the assumption the Sargent replacement is arriving). Probably eight out of ten. Some of the more pessimistic assessments here seem to me to bear little relation to the reality of the club’s position.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 2

Nottingham media saying the Omo transfer is 11 million..so if its ever going to  get near  20 mill thats a possible 9 mill in  add ons....hmmmm.

Good window, **** deadline day.

If anyone thinks Batth was anywhere near the top of Wagner or Webber's wishlists then I have a bridge to sell you.

16 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

If anyone thinks Batth was anywhere near the top of Wagner or Webber's wishlists then I have a bridge to sell you.

Like many no doubt I've visited the Sunderland forum and the posters for the most part regret losing the player.

30 million banked, high wage earners off the books and a squad that looks to more balanced, more experienced, more aggressive and more nous than we had last year. All in all it looks a pretty successful window to me. The only downside is Sargent getting injured and I have my doubts as to whether his replacement will be as effective but I don’t hold that against the club as they were effectively forced into last minute panic stations with that one

28 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

What were you expecting on deadline day?...for City to spend millions on players with potential  calibre?..be realistic..we started the season  with a pedigree of mid table Champs and with parachute money ending after this season. The only way to go was for free transfers and to make some decent millions from the likes of Aarons  and Omo. Batth has signed for 1 year and option for another if this season  goes tail end up and im sure he wont let us down...its early season but have Barnes  and Duffy let us down as yet?

Its going to be a long tough season and teres nothing better than having good seasoned pros in the side to help the younger ones...lets see how it goes...by some amazing  luck we get promoted THEN we  can jettison Batth and buy some younger and proven assests.

1 hour ago, Essjayess said:

Nottingham media saying the Omo transfer is 11 million..so if its ever going to  get near  20 mill thats a possible 9 mill in  add ons....hmmmm.

Not necessarily, £11m may simply be the up front fee. Could be that we get another £5m in installments and a further £4m on triggers such as them staying up, appearances etc.

Pinkun is saying achievable add ons.

Cant see anywhere that Tomkinson ended up going to Bradford on loan as was being rumoured.

If thats the case, I suppose we've still got the numbers in that dept, as to whether the overall quality is mainrained , until Hanley returns  , is a different matter

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Indeed! He has been brought in on a one year deal to provide cover for this year's promotion push, while  two of our very promising centre backs have gone out on loan to get crucial first team experience. Going by the response of Sunderland fans, who made Batth PTOS last year, this looks to be a very well considered transfer. (and let's not forget Chicken's reminder that we have also brought in yet another highly promising young centre back from Ireland).

My only hope is Cashin was allowed the season Derby wanted him to have before leaving. Mind you, I’m sure the fee received for Omo will be in “rainy day” Pot and we went spend much (if any) on transfer fees

On 25/04/2023 at 07:42, Terminally Yellow said:

Roll up, roll up friends and pink un loons as we gear up for yet another close season of inevitable disappointment! 

We begin with news that Jack Butland is close to a free transfer move to Rangers which inevitably puts an end to interest in Scotland's newly anointed no 1 Angus Gunn. 

But Rangers aren't finished with us yet, oh no! Now they're said to be interested in our Kieran Dowell. Personally speaking I'd like to see us keep Dowell, but there's no denying he's a bit injury prone. 

Some of your best work on this thread, Terminally - well done and thank you for starting it. 

If you're considering one for the January window I'd start it today, before you know who gets in there first. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This does appear to have been a much more balanced transfer window in terms of bringing in lots of experience for nothing in transfer fees, whilst still trying to bring through the next crop of youngsters even if they start in the u21’s. Early evidence suggests we have a team/squad that can be competing in this league for top 6 which if I’m honest is better than I thought at the tail end of last year.

it was obvious early that we need to massively adjust the finances, getting rid of big wage earners and praying we could shift Tzolis somewhere. Most of that has been achieved and hopefully has now helped us get to a position where we have  a smoother flight path into next year and the loss of parachute payments should we not be successful in getting a premier league promotion.

The only thing that really worries me from a business perspective is that we do have a smaller number of players that might provide the big money sale next year should we need it, this is the one downside that having lots of experienced players brings, I’m thinking mainly Sara, Sargent, Gunn and if he keeps it up Rowe.

overall though, Norwich being competitive, playing attacking football is all I really ask for, I don’t suffer from the same illusions of grandeur as others, whether that is a small club mentality or not 

Edited by Big O
  • Like 1

Let's hope Sky's reporting of £11million for Omobamdiele is undercooking it or that makes a mockery of Webbers January claims.

Just seen that Batth has been captain or vice-captain too during his career, and it looks like we've got him on a free. After being initially a shade underwhelmed, it really does look like Wagner's gone for battle-hardened leaders and fighters to address our lack of them which was really apparent in our collapse at the end of last season.

Warner, Tomkinson and Fisher are clearly getting readied as the next defenders off the production line. With Barnes, Forshaw, Duffy, Batth and to some extent Stacey we've got a spine of Championship-seasoned, tough professionals in for the other talent to thrive.

Whilst only results will give us the definitive answer of whether this was a good window or not, we can't deny that we suddenly have a lot more experience, drive, and bite in the ranks. And the fact that Omo's made a move to the Premier means we should still be a really promising location for young talent to consider.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Let's hope Sky's reporting of £11million for Omobamdiele is undercooking it or that makes a mockery of Webbers January claims.

Not just Sky reporting it either, no smoke without fire and all that jazz. It sounds like £11m upfront rising to a potential £20m which sounds fairly realistic fee given he's not been in our starting XI

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Just seen that Batth has been captain or vice-captain too during his career, and it looks like we've got him on a free. After being initially a shade underwhelmed, it really does look like Wagner's gone for battle-hardened leaders and fighters to address our lack of them which was really apparent in our collapse at the end of last season.

Warner, Tomkinson and Fisher are clearly getting readied as the next defenders off the production line. With Barnes, Forshaw, Duffy, Batth and to some extent Stacey we've got a spine of Championship-seasoned, tough professionals in for the other talent to thrive.

Whilst only results will give us the definitive answer of whether this was a good window or not, we can't deny that we suddenly have a lot more experience, drive, and bite in the ranks. And the fact that Omo's made a move to the Premier means we should still be a really promising location for young talent to consider.

The old adage about playing away at Stoke on a Wednesday night in February. Last season's team wouldn't have fancied it at all. 

Just now, Mello Yello said:

This Batth transfer....did we faucet through?.....

He's been brought in to plug a hole..

so we sold our 4th choice centreback if everyone is fit

seems a deal to me was terrorfied with Omo on the pitch everytime anyone attacked

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

If he gets a MOTM award, will he be showered with praise.......

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Hope we didn't tap him up... 

That's me .. peaked early.  Ill get my coat.!!

Off to the match. OTBC

Edited by mccanary

1 minute ago, mccanary said:

Hope we didn't tap him up... 

That's me .. peaked early.  Off to the match. OTBC

I'm flush so I can afford to attend an away game....Rovrum here I Come....

• Haha 1

Having slept on it, I have a suspicion a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised by Hwang. Batth is not a starter but sounds totally dependable at this level.

It wasn't maybe the heady heights we were clamouring for, but I have a feeling we'll look kindly on yesterday's business in the long run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I'm flush so I can afford to attend an away game....Rovrum here I Come....

Cant  a bidet  he travelling    ....

Safe travels to all today. See ya in Rovrum. 

Pessimistic- Delia has bagged a load of cash

optimistic - we have a little mini war chest in January for a push for promotion if it’s looking good then?

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

Having slept on it, I have a suspicion a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised by Hwang. Batth is not a starter but sounds totally dependable at this level.

It wasn't maybe the heady heights we were clamouring for, but I have a feeling we'll look kindly on yesterday's business in the long run.

We lost just one player who hasn't started a game this season (for huge money) but replaced him for one-year with another who won POTS at his club. We have added 2 EXTRA strikers, one of whom is a very talented full-international, the other a very exciting U-21 prospect. Obviously this is a disastrous deadline day performance for which Webber and co should be hanged and quartered.

I hope your suspicion is confirmed, but somehow I doubt the usual suspects will show any such inclination to eschew their delight in misery.

• Like 1