Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

The negativity is weird. We have lost just one player today who has not started a game in our best ever start to a season. We got £20m (potentially) for him. We have replaced him with a player who looks a very solid addition to cover for this year (a player who won player of the season for Sunderland last year). We are likely to have brought in a very talented player to cover for Sargent's injury, a player who looks (from the vid posted) to bring something different from what we already have. Why the misery?

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Holding for £4m is pretty good going isn't it?  I appreciate there's wages there but wish we could make signings like that when in the prem.

Or Callum Hudson-Odoi for £3m. In a market that's gone completely bonkers, how did that happen!? Bayern offered £50m for him three years ago.

8 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Tbh I don't get the omo stuff as we as a championship side don't pick him. Oh well , good money I suppose. 

Probably for the same reason we weren't picking Aarons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

The negativity is weird. We have lost just one player today who has not started a game in our best ever start to a season. We got £20m (potentially) for him. We have replaced him with a player who looks a very solid addition to cover for this year (a player who won player of the season for Sunderland last year). We are likely to have brought in a very talented player to cover for Sargent's injury, a player who looks (from the vid posted) to bring something different from what we already have. Why the misery?

Because they can't help it, anything to feed their own pleasure in misery.

• Like 2

Because the “something different” has a very poor scoring record in last couple of seasons and is more a wide forward than a sarge replacement - he’s also over 30. And the CB is 33 in two weeks time and not really the replacement people had hoped for. They might surprise us doubters- but you have to say that we have sold players for big bucks and spent absolutely nothing this summer- few clubs fans would be cheering that 

I'm going to assume we'll get Hwang and Batth. We were told we were going for a rebuild. I think we've had that. 

Duffy and Stacey have been the highlights for me. Experienced, talented players with the exact work ethic and strong personalities it's clear we lacked last season. Fassnacht as well looks like a really smart bit of business that I think will continue to bear fruit as he grows more accustomed to the club and the Championship. 

Fisher has exceeded expectations. I do worry that Stacey will get injured and leave us short, but that shouldn't be held against a lad who has shown real potential in his short time here so far.

Barnes as well has been a revelation. Again, as a leader on and off the field he's been fantastic - and all credit, I thought he was a poor signing when announced. Definitely proving me wrong.

Sainz as well seems an exciting prospect. His injury has probably led to Rowe being given the chances to show his ability - so I guess that poor stroke of luck has had a silver lining. We've gone from looking weak on the flanks last season to potentially looking really well stocked with Rowe, Sainz, Fassnacht, Springett and Onel. 

George Long seems a reasonable acquisition as a back up keeper. Forshaw seems a gamble on his fitness, but if we keep him fit he'll be a gem, I'm sure. 

Beyond that - I think today has been a bit of a disaster. Batth seems to be well regarding in Sunderland. I worry we've signed a player who is very much on the decline and off the back of an unpleasant injury. I also think as a club that tries to make it's money from player trading, losing Omobamodiele for a 33 year old player is questionable. But I have been reassured by the reaction of Sunderland fans who are angry it seems at the prospect of his sale. A player like Axel Tuanzebe remains available on a free - and I suspect would have proved a better investment that could have also become a saleable asset if he has a good season. 

I also have to accept Hwang is a short term measure to replace Sargent and would not likely be here but for that injury. But we can't ignore his performance last season out on loan which on statistics alone seems utterly uninspiring. I'd have rather we went down the route of a more experienced Championship operator, although I expect there would likely have been few such players available and a lot of interested parties in those few candidates. I am open minded as to how Hwang will do. Hopefully Idah will continue the rich run of form and it will not be an issue. 

What worries me most is this does appear another season we have really sold the family silver and done little to replenish it. The much lauded South America strategy has been entirely ignored this season. It leaves Sara and Gunn as maybe the only truly saleable assets we have, with Sargent maybe another depending on if he continues the good form he's started in. I really hope we see Rowe continue on the trajectory he's started, and is maybe joined by one or more of Sainz, Gibbs or Idah, because all of a sudden we've gone from a side where the youth are really given their chance to a side packed with more experienced, hardened heads, which will not help develop players as assets or as players.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because the “something different” has a very poor scoring record in last couple of seasons and is more a wide forward than a sarge replacement - he’s also over 30. And the CB is 33 in two weeks time and not really the replacement people had hoped for. They might surprise us doubters- but you have to say that we have sold players for big bucks and spent absolutely nothing this summer- few clubs fans would be cheering that 

Hopefully they're saving up to rebuild the City Stand. I'd be cool with that.

Just now, If wed kept Howie.. said:

Any confirmation on the Hwang Ui-Jo loan?

I swear we don't announce anything until we've got a video lined up to post on social media.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sorry which 33 year old centre back? I must be missing something as can’t see the club have confirmed anything? 

2 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

Any confirmation on the Hwang Ui-Jo loan?

Still Hwanging on

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We are just propping up the worst owners a club could have

7 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Because it’s what they do - some have been waiting since pre season to have a moan and whinge, and will now dine out horrendously for the next two weeks should we lose tomorrow.

But as you say, we’ve sold what is a reserve cb for daft money (possibly our last chance to do so), and so long as they are confirmed, have signed injury cover for Sargent and a new backup cb - oh and the lad from Citeh who may come good; we also signed Forshaw last week and the Brazilian fella.  I’ll be concerned if we don’t announce the late incomings, so we just wait and see on those.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That'd be worth a few disappointing transfer windows.

2 minutes ago, City 101 said:

We are just propping up the worst owners a club could have

Christ if you think Delia is "the worst" club owner around you've clearly not seen many. well I could name many that are far worse. Owen Oyston comes to mind just for a start..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Or Callum Hudson-Odoi for £3m. In a market that's gone completely bonkers, how did that happen!? Bayern offered £50m for him three years ago.

Wages

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Because it’s what they do - some have been waiting since pre season to have a moan and whinge, and will now dine out horrendously for the next two weeks should we lose tomorrow.  But as you say, we’ve sold what is a reserve cb for daft money (possibly our last chance to do so), and so long as they are confirmed, have signed injury cover for Sargent and a new backup cb - oh and the lad from Citeh who may come good; we also signed Forshaw last week and the Brazilian fella.  

Indeed! The same crowd who said it was crucial we held on to Aarons last year but then complained this year that we didn't make as much money by not selling him last year.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Our owners are fantastic. And yes, I'm being serious.

Yes but unfortunately they lack the funds to compete. They are from a bygone era and are now holding this club back- hence we sell our silverware and replace with old men. 

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'm going to assume we'll get Hwang and Batth. We were told we were going for a rebuild. I think we've had that. 

Duffy and Stacey have been the highlights for me. Experienced, talented players with the exact work ethic and strong personalities it's clear we lacked last season. Fassnacht as well looks like a really smart bit of business that I think will continue to bear fruit as he grows more accustomed to the club and the Championship. 

Fisher has exceeded expectations. I do worry that Stacey will get injured and leave us short, but that shouldn't be held against a lad who has shown real potential in his short time here so far.

Barnes as well has been a revelation. Again, as a leader on and off the field he's been fantastic - and all credit, I thought he was a poor signing when announced. Definitely proving me wrong.

Sainz as well seems an exciting prospect. His injury has probably led to Rowe being given the chances to show his ability - so I guess that poor stroke of luck has had a silver lining. We've gone from looking weak on the flanks last season to potentially looking really well stocked with Rowe, Sainz, Fassnacht, Springett and Onel. 

George Long seems a reasonable acquisition as a back up keeper. Forshaw seems a gamble on his fitness, but if we keep him fit he'll be a gem, I'm sure. 

Beyond that - I think today has been a bit of a disaster. Batth seems to be well regarding in Sunderland. I worry we've signed a player who is very much on the decline and off the back of an unpleasant injury. I also think as a club that tries to make it's money from player trading, losing Omobamodiele for a 33 year old player is questionable. But I have been reassured by the reaction of Sunderland fans who are angry it seems at the prospect of his sale. A player like Axel Tuanzebe remains available on a free - and I suspect would have proved a better investment that could have also become a saleable asset if he has a good season. 

I also have to accept Hwang is a short term measure to replace Sargent and would not likely be here but for that injury. But we can't ignore his performance last season out on loan which on statistics alone seems utterly uninspiring. I'd have rather we went down the route of a more experienced Championship operator, although I expect there would likely have been few such players available and a lot of interested parties in those few candidates. I am open minded as to how Hwang will do. Hopefully Idah will continue the rich run of form and it will not be an issue. 

What worries me most is this does appear another season we have really sold the family silver and done little to replenish it. The much lauded South America strategy has been entirely ignored this season. It leaves Sara and Gunn as maybe the only truly saleable assets we have, with Sargent maybe another depending on if he continues the good form he's started in. I really hope we see Rowe continue on the trajectory he's started, and is maybe joined by one or more of Sainz, Gibbs or Idah, because all of a sudden we've gone from a side where the youth are really given their chance to a side packed with more experienced, hardened heads, which will not help develop players as assets or as players.   

Fair summary.

A mixed bag but generally positive.

Fingers crossed Sarge is little more yjan 3 months out.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wages

He was on £120k a week at Chelsea. That's a lot, but not completely insane in the modern day Premier League, and that still doesn't explain such a modest fee. I know he's gone off the boil, but it's still pocket change compared to other deals that have been happening this window.

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Largely agree but would say there's something missing re. the bit in bold. Namely, those experienced heads would be perfect mentors for the next batch of youngsters. Sargent and Idah, as well as this new lad from Man City, would all do very well to learn from Barnes (and also Pukki before him).

They clearly think Warner can hold the fort if necessary, but it won't hurt to have a Duffy, Gibson and Batth around to learn from. I'd say considering the lack of experience we had at centre-half at the back end of last season with the injuries, Batth is a remedy to that. We now have a very experienced spine through the team and a couple in reserve when looking at Forshaw and Batth - and indeed Long.

Think the concern I'd have with Batth's arrival and Omo going is that we might have the slowest centre-half pairings in recent NCFC history until Hanley comes back.

how on earth have we had batth lined up for when we sold omo.  surely we must have identified a serious young talent    im stunned

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Has there been news on how long it will be? 

We're just changing it now sweety, you'll have to lay on the floor with the waterproof sheet underneath if you do it again.

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He was on £120k a week at Chelsea. That's a lot, but not completely insane in the modern day Premier League, and that still doesn't explain such a modest fee. I know he's gone off the boil, but it's still pocket change compared to other deals that have been happening this window.

On the basis of what you have said though, it's still £21 million off the wage bill + £5 million + presumably add ons.

If he's not someone the manager "fancies" + no one else wants, why not take the £30( million?

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think the concern I'd have with Batth's arrival and Omo going is that we might have the slowest centre-half pairings in recent NCFC history until Hanley comes back.

And that assumes that the injury hasn’t put paid to Hanley’s pace…he might not even have it any longer.