lake district canary

Yes, it was another bad night, but.......

.......we are still in wth a shout of the play offs.  So do we just give up on that?  Do we just roll over and think we can't make 6th place?  We're just one result away from doing just that as the teams above us have to play each other. So get ready for a roller coaster end to the season. We could yet make the play offs and then have the opportunity for an end of season tilt at promotion.

Don't tell me it can't be done - because it can.......and don't tell me you don't want it, because I don't believe you. Sometimes our anger and frustration gets the better of us and we find it difficult to see what is real - and it was surely a bad result last night - but we are a football club that wants, needs and expects promotion - and despite the angst we are all feeling, that is still a possibility.

We came up against a team last night that have been improving all season, have fantastic home form, only losing a tight match against Burnley, often winning at home easily.  Up against an injury ravaged, young, lacking in confidence team, the result was no surprise.

Doesn't make it any easier to bear, but it is the truth.....and we can still do this - and I hope once the dented pride fades and we look at it positively as we come up against teams we can realistically hope to beat.

It's still there to do and we can do this!!

Edited by lake district canary

I wasn't able to see the game, but I put it on record.

I don't think I'll bother watching.

Yes! We remain contenders. It is just that we are now more reliant upon our rivals dropping points than ever before.

Today's results could be vital. 

We are shocking - pace, skill, physicality, mentality - the squad is light years away from the Premier League. Not a hope of winning the playoffs, let alone staying in the Premier.

Since Farke left both, Smith and Wagner have tried different playing styles.  We have recruited badly and the team and club have no identity.  I couldn’t care less about any of our recent recruits - and without an identity we just sign random mercenaries we hope we can sell on. 

Farke’s successor need to build on that style of play. Klopp is finding it hard to get players to play his style of football, so Weber and Wagner have virtually no chance. 

26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

.......we are still in wth a shout of the play offs.  So do we just give up on that?  Do we just roll over and think we can't make 6th place?  We're just one result away from doing just that as the teams above us have to play each other. So get ready for a roller coaster end to the season. We could yet make the play offs and then have the opportunity for an end of season tilt at promotion.

Don't tell me it can't be done - because it can.......and don't tell me you don't want it, because I don't believe you. Sometimes our anger and frustration gets the better of us and we find it difficult to see what is real - and it was surely a bad result last night - but we are a football club that wants, needs and expects promotion - and despite the angst we are all feeling, that is still a possibility.

We came up against a team last night that have been improving all season, have fantastic home form, only losing a tight match against Burnley, often winning at home easily.  Up against an injury ravaged, young, lacking in confidence team, the result was no surprise.

Doesn't make it any easier to bear, but it is the truth.....and we can still do this - and I hope once the dented pride fades and we look at it positively as we come up against teams we can realistically hope to beat.

oh cmon Lakey..this post is embarrasing. Do we just roll over?..City have been rolling over since October, not able to string any decent length of form, weve had months of oppurtunity to cement a top 6 place. It may well be a roller coaster ride for a few other clubs but not us...we are on the final down slope before the buggy  stops at its end.

Anger and frustration?...ive not been that all season, just very realistic that we are a mid table Champs side, with the prospect of being that, a bit like Stoke City. Wants, needs and expects?...Honestly, believe me, i dont want it...why?..to survive in the Prem you need around 40 points...we  were barely able to get that many points in two Prem seasons!..no other club have been so completely out of their depth  like City in the past decade in the Prem. Needs?..nope,  not on this self funded model thats been our motto for so long..its proven not to work for Prem sustainability. Expects?...nope...We are a club that has shared out time between Champs and the top flight since Saunders first took us there half a century ago..that includes two or three lengthy stays in the Champs and a couple in the top tier...and purly as a fan...i dont expect us us in the Prem anymore until a huge change at the clubs top...likely meaning Attanasio at the helm for a few seasons.

We can do this?..mathematically maybe..but in reality...not a cat in hell's chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Whilst admiring your positive, albeit totally misplaced, outlook Lakey, say by some highly unlikely chance we make the playoffs who are we likely to come up against. Oh yes. Middlesbrough. Now that's a tie to look forward to - not!

We rolled over last night and will do again.

This group of players doesn't want it enough. The desire isn't there and the quality most certainly isn't.

4 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

Whilst admiring your positive, albeit totally misplaced, outlook Lakey, say by some highly unlikely chance we make the playoffs who are we likely to come up against. Oh yes. Middlesbrough. Now that's a tie to look forward to - not!

However, when we beat them in the playoffs we had lost both games to them in the league. One nil at home and four nil away.

Its a funny old game.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

This group of players doesn't want it enough. The desire isn't there and the quality most certainly isn't.

Either they don't want it because they know they'll be shifted out on promotion or even though they'll double their money, they don't think the humiliation is worth it. 

Last week op you were telling us that we won’t get in the playoffs. 
Players that have been trashed on here are now unavailable and have in a stroke of fate shown how valuable they are. Our great saviours who must play have shown they are not the mega stars they were made out to be. I remember the op telling us without Idah we would not be promoted and we would be relegated from the EPL.

Even people like me who are usually positive can see we need a complete rebuild. Can that happen under Wagner ? I hope so but only time will tell. If Sky were to be believed there were scouts from everywhere watching Gabriel last night, so maybe that’s where the money comes from for our rebuild.

I travel to FCR ( not an apt name for it this year ) from Birmingham every other week. Unless something dramatic happens on Tuesday night I won’t be going next Saturday. I also expect next Saturday to see the ‘ Smith ‘ negativity back in the stands.

Cloud cuckoo land is where you live Lakey!

That pathetic bunch of idiots imitating footballers and stealing a living should be nowhere near the play offs!

You truly think going up would be good?

• Like 3

Deluded happy clapper. The type of person that allows for everything that’s wrong with this club to continue happening. 

I’m not giving up hope of sneaking, undeservedly, into the playoffs. 

However mentally I’m close to done with watching this bunch of players f**k up and bottle it constantly. I find it inherently frustrating watching us at the moment and to be honest I’m looking forward to the season ending and watching some cricket in the sunshine for a few months instead.

We simple aren't and haven't been good enough. It's not going to improve much with all our injuries either. Regroup and rebuild needed. This league has had the worst quality for years and we still struggle. That says it all really.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

I actually think we could beat them if we actually turned up on the day but that’s a big “if”. Boro weren’t that great in my view. We had as many good chances in the game and should have been two up before they scored. In that sense it was a flattering result for them albeit our defending gets what it deserves. 

the frustration is I don’t think any of the teams likely to finish 3rd to 6th are really any good. Had we even been vaguely effective at home we would have made the playoffs comfortably despite being awful for most of the season. 

Obviously before todays results and the midweeks but as it stands this morning - three massive games next Saturday.  That probably end our season for sure with us falling to 10th by then with Sunderland or West Brom jumping us.

3rd v 4th, 6th v 7th and 10th v 11th with all three of the (currently) lower teams at home.  Probably as much chance of three draws there as 100% Norwich wins happening in our run in.  And today, apart from the Millwall Preston 5th v 7th match, these other 4 contenders are all playing lower table clubs.

59 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Quality,physicallity,desire,leadership,hunger,belief.....we have none of this.This has been one of the worst quality Champs for years,and we hav'nt really competed in it.The premier league would chew us up,spit us out and say don't ever come back.

54 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I dont think even winning our last 4 would be enough?....73 pts inviarably isnt

Such is the form and congestion of the teams 5th-12th, an unusually low 70 points might be enough this season.

We've seen teams miss out before on 78, but I can see the team that finishes 6th this season having 70-71. 

Three wins out of four and we have a chance.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Aaarrgghhhhh!!!!!!...........

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Christ you want this team in the Prem? Its over.

Why is ‘Christ’ bothered?

If we did scrap our way I am sure it would be a different team, 

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

However, when we beat them in the playoffs we had lost both games to them in the league. One nil at home and four nil away.

Its a funny old game.

Ricardo -  as the game ended I turned to my son with a smile on my face and said exactly the same. I did add that we were chasing v hard the top two and in great form on that occasion - not quite the same this season. 

I mean, fair play Lakey.

Don't get me wrong, we fully deserved to lose the game and our individual defending was beyond atrocious.

But they scored 5 goals from 6 shots. We missed several very good chances. And this all happened without enough midfielders, any CBs etc etc.

I think if Byram can be fit for the remainder of the season he should partner Omo. 

The stats don't paint the demolition picture because we simply caused them ourselves:

image.thumb.png.ac417cb1759bc6aa19349d907ac50107.png

First 6 minutes we absolutely battered them. Sara was looking like the reincarnation of Buendia. We looked a class above.

But we didn't score.

They initiate a slick passing move on the break & score. We're stunned. They weren't even in the game. Then it all falls apart.

This is a pattern I've seen repeated throughout my time following Norwich. It doesn't happen every game - remember our first 2 games under Wagner? But it's something I've never seen other teams do on such a consistent basis.

Is it because we play football so much better than most of the teams we come up against? Because we can dominate the opposition so much we have a sense of invulnerability?

OK so we've missed one or 2 chances, but they wouldn't have been pretty enough anyway, we'll score that perfect goal we want to score very soon. It's coming, we all know it. What's to worry about? We're sooo much better than them how can they possibly score? oh look, they've got the ball back for once. Look at those inferior idiots, I bet they think they've got a chance of scoring ...

Oh dear.

We're shocked. Bewildered. How on earth did that happen? What do we do now?

We try to rally. We make mistakes. Our semblance of confidence evaporates. If we're lucky the opposition aren't that competent we keep the scoreline down. If it's a good attacking team like 'boro on the other hand ....

Last night was the perfect storm. Any more rain & I think the match would have been abandoned; the conditions suited their fast breaking attacking style to a tee & everything went right for them - the law of averages (Xg?) says they shouldn't have scored with every attack, but they did, & it can & did happen.

We need players who realise that ANY team can be a threat if you don't stop them. It doesn't matter how superior our football is, if we don't score we will not win so DO NOT THROW CHANCES AWAY; we need players who can spot danger BEFORE it escalates & stop it at source. We need a bona fide leader, one with a footballing brain, experience & the respect of his team-mates.

Incidentally, would Hanley & Gibson have made a difference? We'll never know. Their experience might have helped, but I've seen so many poor performances by them against this sort of team that I suspect not.

We go again etc. ...

Rant over.

Good grief. 

Of course we’re mathematically still in it.

But it requires good fortune elsewhere, which is completely out of our hands. 

It also requires a degree of fight, heart & ruthlessness I don’t believe this group of players possess - the capitulation last night was fairly unequivocal in that respect. 

Yes, I’m well aware that last time we got to Wembley half-expecting a spanking from a Boro team who’d turned us over twice already that season, but even if miracles did happen, there’s no way lightning will strike twice. 

We’ll finish 10th at best. Time to move on. 

39 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Ricardo -  as the game ended I turned to my son with a smile on my face and said exactly the same. I did add that we were chasing v hard the top two and in great form on that occasion - not quite the same this season. 

True, and I think it unlikely that we make the top six but if we do it's a whole different ball game.