mastoola

Is Idah the worst striker to ever play for Norwich?

7 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Although he really should have scored the chance he missed today, I do have belief he can come good. We know Idah has over 60 appearances to his name, but we have to remember less than a quarter of them have been starts and you can’t expect a player to do well by giving them about 15 mins a game. It’s just like expecting someone in the starting XI to do well inside the first 15 mins

I know he was given a 5 year contract but I think it was because Wagner wants to work on developing him as he sees that he still has the potential to become good (he’s 22, not 32)

Is it 14 starts?

And yes he's young. People like to throw Carlton Morris at him. And Carlton has improved to the point he's at now. But Carlton is 5 years older than Adam which is a lot of experience for their position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mastoola said:

Didn't catch the  game today.  How did Adam do?

Fantastic 

Read posts from page 1 will give you some idea of his performance 

Won’t be replacing Harry Kane anytime soon 

People need to remember that Carlton Morris was the same... And now look what he's helping Luton to achieve, earnt them another 3 pts today.

Both big guys who need time to grow and learn how to play to their strengths.  I think that Idah is a gnats gonad away right now, just needs to get off the mark under Wagner.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 3

There's nothing better than a striker coming through your youth team and scoring a load of goals - think Sutton and Bellamy. Let's hope Idah is the next one and get behind him. Surely we can all agree on that!

Not that there was a lot of competition last season but the individual performance of the season was Idah vs Everton ,playing in a role just off Pukki.

A complete strikers performance...held up the ball, threaded the ball through, linked up play. Bullied their defence, knocked Godfrey and Keane around all afternoon.

Maybe this is the role better suited to him?

The Carlton Morris comparison is pathetically lazy and doesn't hold up in the slightest. He scored about 10 goals a season in League One before this season. And we could hardly keep him here until he was 28 to wait for him to click.

I feel Idah will be a 10-15 goals a season Championship striker, which is fine and great career making lots of money. Weirdly I thought he looked terrific when he came in last season against higher opposition. I guess there is pressure on him to deliver now though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Holt said:

The Carlton Morris comparison is pathetically lazy and doesn't hold up in the slightest. He scored about 10 goals a season in League One before this season. And we could hardly keep him here until he was 28 to wait for him to click.

I feel Idah will be a 10-15 goals a season Championship striker, which is fine and great career making lots of money. Weirdly I thought he looked terrific when he came in last season against higher opposition. I guess there is pressure on him to deliver now though. 

I can't really qualify this with stats but I've always felt that what in Parma speak is a weapon in the championship may not always be the same in the premiership these days. 

Given that the majority of the top teams in the premiership tend to play with fast, skilful forwards these days, so premiership defenders have evolved to counter that, both physically in the sense that the Steve Bruce relatively slow six footer has been generally replaced by quicker more agile defenders and tactically in terms of the positions they take up relative to a few years ago.

When a championship team goes up with a forward like an Idah, Holt, Lambert, Mitrovic, Wood or Toney, or a team deploys a higher end version like Drogba, Giroud or Costa, they often get a bit of joy by physically bullying opposition defences who don't come up against that sort of player as often.  Whereas in the championship defenses can be a bit more old school and players like Pukki or Gale for example become more of an exception and therefore a weapon.

It's not an exact science - Holt and Toney both scored goals in the Championship and a player with standout pace and movement is always a weapon - but I wonder if Idah could be more of a weapon at a higher level, someone who opposition coaches have to make provision for, because his style is more different in the premiership than in the championship. 

I would also say that physical forwards - as is the case with Morris - generally take longer to bloom than players that rely on pace because experience and an understanding of how to deploy that physicality is key to their success at any level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

The Carlton Morris comparison is pathetically lazy and doesn't hold up in the slightest. He scored about 10 goals a season in League One before this season.

I was talking about the 22 year old Carlton Morris, not the 27 year old.  Kinda the whole point, really.

Blimey, idah is far from the worst striker of this century let alone then worst ever.   Nor is the best we currently have at the club.   

He is a young player with potential still on the comeback from a problematic serious injury. He is learning his trade and improving his match fitness, if notbyetbfinding the net from limited quality build.up play and frankly often long beckesque balls to the corner flag.  He isn't alone in struggling for service or support.   

he  has shown enough to play regularly, including starting when the two more senior strikers are injured.

Get behind him and put more focus on the ponderous build up play that restricts all the strikers opportunities. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/02/2023 at 10:11, john in exile in leeds said:

Is no one old enough to remember Jim Blair ?!

Jim Blair played in the League Cup Final at Wembley vs Tottenham Hotspur, as Jimmy Bone was not fit.  

1 hour ago, hairpie said:

Jim Blair played in the League Cup Final at Wembley vs Tottenham Hotspur, as Jimmy Bone was not fit.  

The late great Tommy Bryceland sold him to us.

Whatever did we do to Tommy?

On 26/02/2023 at 00:54, Google Bot said:

People need to remember that Carlton Morris was the same... And now look what he's helping Luton to achieve, earnt them another 3 pts today.

Both big guys who need time to grow and learn how to play to their strengths.  I think that Idah is a gnats gonad away right now, just needs to get off the mark under Wagner.

So you want us to stick with him for another five years in the hope he might hit the dizzy heights of Carlton Morris's 13 goals in a season?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

So you want us to stick with him for another five years in the hope he might hit the dizzy heights of Carlton Morris's 13 goals in a season?

He's part of a winning team today, i'm plenty pleased with that thank you.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

Just now, Google Bot said:

He's part of a winning team today, i'm plenty pleased with that thank you.

And he's not Marley Watkins... 

I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but he's not even the worst to come out of our academy system... Coote, Jarvis, Crow (who some folks on here almost went into total meltdown about). He's also on a footing where he could well do better than the likes of Henderson as it stands.

Giallanza and Abbey too, though theirs were both down to injuries. Lupoli? Thorne?

If just talking about for us, then you have to consider Hartson, Sibierski... Cottee. I mean, starts to look silly really when you think hard for a few moments. 

• Like 2

That is true. The issue is the bizarre decision to reward him with a 5 year contract when he has, thus far, done nothing to warrant it not showed clear evidence he is anything more than a league 1 striker. Hope I am wrong 

5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That is true. The issue is the bizarre decision to reward him with a 5 year contract when he has, thus far, done nothing to warrant it not showed clear evidence he is anything more than a league 1 striker. Hope I am wrong 

If you think about it, it might nor have been such a bad idea.

If he eventually makes it, then the club has secured a valuable asset.

If he doesn't (at the level we are playing in, whatever that is?) then it pushes up his value. As a poster stated above, he is not short of attributes and sufficient to guarantee that there will be no shortage of interest in him from the clubs below the PL, may be even the Chumps, so again this boosts the club's bargaining powers and hence his price.

Has my thinking overmuch depth with this analysis?

13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

If you think about it, it might nor have been such a bad idea.

If he eventually makes it, then the club has secured a valuable asset.

If he doesn't (at the level we are playing in, whatever that is?) then it pushes up his value. As a poster stated above, he is not short of attributes and sufficient to guarantee that there will be no shortage of interest in him from the clubs below the PL, may be even the Chumps, so again this boosts the club's bargaining powers and hence his price.

Has my thinking overmuch depth with this analysis?

No, I think you make sense.

My first reaction when I heard about the five-year contract was 'WTF? Why!?'.

But since then I've come round to thinking it's probably a no-lose option (except for long-term injury). As you say, if Idah does come good, we have a valuable asset tied down. If he doesn't, or our other players shine so much that Idah becomes surplus to requirements, we'll probably be able to offload him to a Championship club easily enough and move on.

Adam Idah needs a run of games in his favoured position. 

If he doesn't get that run, then that can only mean that Sargent & Pukki are scoring and keeping him out. He has enough pressure on himself to keep his place in the team, without NCFC Fans criticising him. Please back the Man. We do appear to be winning at the moment ( with him )

Maybe he is doing something right !

50 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I think it makes complete sense, the same with Sargent, if they score 15 goals in a season before turning 25, EPL clubs will look to buy them, and not for a couple of million.

It would have been interesting to see how many Sarge would have got had he played up front all season and not gone to world Cup. 

All of us are comparing them to Pukki, we completely lucked out signing Teemu, we have enjoyed his best years, and boy has he been good.  These lads are talented, and what I like best is they both work really hard, so will the big clubs.

On 26/02/2023 at 11:35, Worthy Nigelton said:

There's nothing better than a striker coming through your youth team and scoring a load of goals - think Sutton and Bellamy. Let's hope Idah is the next one and get behind him. Surely we can all agree on that!

I mean, sure happy to 'hope', but the boat has probably sailed on him bursting onto the scene like Sutton and Bellamy, his FA Cup hat trick was 4 years ago now.

He has 9 goals in 83 senior competitive appearances for Norwich and Ireland, he's a 1 in 10 striker. 

Probably needs a loan move but the 5 year contract is looking odd.

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

I think it makes complete sense, the same with Sargent, if they score 15 goals in a season before turning 25, EPL clubs will look to buy them, and not for a couple of million.

It would have been interesting to see how many Sarge would have got had he played up front all season and not gone to world Cup. 

All of us are comparing them to Pukki, we completely lucked out signing Teemu, we have enjoyed his best years, and boy has he been good.  These lads are talented, and what I like best is they both work really hard, so will the big clubs.

a striker needs to score yes everyone has to chip in with goals 

but the main striker has to be a finisher as he will or should get the most chances 

Idah and sarge have slipped into the oh its ok he works hard for team instead of the if he gets a chance he will finish category 

With Pukki leaving we will have to replace a lot of goals which ever league we are in 

i hope Idah is the man he has everything to make it bar the killer finishing so far 

• Like 1

Oddly I'm more at ease with him having a long term contract than short tbh. Clearly the club doesn't want another Cantwell situation too soon.

The club are right to persist with Adam as it's starting to look likely Pukki won't be here next season. We'll probably need to break our transfer record again to replace Teemu so it makes sense to give Idah as much opportunity as possible.

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, chicken said:

I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but he's not even the worst to come out of our academy system... Coote, Jarvis, Crow (who some folks on here almost went into total meltdown about). He's also on a footing where he could well do better than the likes of Henderson as it stands.

Giallanza and Abbey too, though theirs were both down to injuries. Lupoli? Thorne?

If just talking about for us, then you have to consider Hartson, Sibierski... Cottee. I mean, starts to look silly really when you think hard for a few moments. 

Didn't need even a minute to think about the OP post. Probably dozens of players actually. But good call on the ones you've listed.

My main point though is why anyone would want to start a thread with a "worst player" title! Does he have similar lists in life? Of family or friends? Or of celebrities? Or worst towns? Or worst train stations? I'm partly kidding but a serious point is that some people actually do! No Top 10s for them. No. 

And then to add a bit of insult to injury, pick on a young player who is trying to make the grade - at your own club! Someone who pulls on the yellow shirt.

Many folk in life have a habit of disproving their critics and I earnestly hope Adam Idah is one of those people.

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You didn't see anything in the run of games last season before he got injured then?  The win vs Everton where he scored, the 3-0 away at Watford where his ball went in off the defender - I felt he was a thorn for both teams, then after that, the layoff to Pukki vs Palace.. 

Slightly higher level than League 1, and was integral to us picking up 7 points in 3 games at that level and seemingly starting to get into his flow.

Subjective if you think that's evidence of him being capable or not of course.  But I can see why the club would secure him on a long term, we're not even privy as to what the terms are, it could be very beneficial for the club in comparison to other outgoing costs.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

1) It's only bizarre if you know the in's and out's of the contract. I hazard a guess you don't.

2) Clearly the club think otherwise, and so far they've been proven a significantly better judge of young talent than you and others on this forum 🙂

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I mean, sure happy to 'hope', but the boat has probably sailed on him bursting onto the scene like Sutton and Bellamy, his FA Cup hat trick was 4 years ago now.

He has 9 goals in 83 senior competitive appearances for Norwich and Ireland, he's a 1 in 10 striker. 

Probably needs a loan move but the 5 year contract is looking odd.

Sadly, I fear you are right.  We'll see.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton