Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Football is broken isn't it?

Every now and then something happens in the world of football that reminds me just how sick and broken the game at the top level is.

Right now it's Man U fans desperately justifying a Qatari state takeover of the club, acting as if all that matters is money and trophies, talking as if they are some deeply hard done by club on the brink of bankruptcy that needs saving, rather than one of the biggest clubs in the world who occasionally finish 5th rather than 1st now.

It's gross watching their fans simp on social media for a repressive theocracy, sticking Qatari flags in their bio while chucking out pointless whataboutery (oh but you own an iphone/subscribe to disney+ etc etc) all in the name of winning a couple more trophies and signing the latest big name from Porto or Bilbao, who they'll throw away the second a shinier toy is available. 

In the media that usual thing will happen- some of the decent journalists will raise objections (Miguel Delaney, Daniel Storey being good examples) but they'll soon be drowned out by the transfer speculation and the buzz of how the new shiny toys on the pitch will play. And all of this happening while the sprot itself gets a little less competitive and a little bit more financially unsustainable. 

And it makes me feel a little bit sick that joining this absolute ****show of moral and financial bankruptcy is what we, as a club, have to aspire to. Because otherwise what's the point? 

I feel like I'm so close to chucking it all in, maybe becoming one of those guys who goes to watch his local non-league team, ignoring the Premier League but then I end up thinking why should I have to walk away from something I've loved because of the decisions of those in charge, over whom I have no influence. 

Overall, its just all ****ed and I don't know what to do.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Great post. Just look at how all the fuss (and that's all it was) about Newcastle being bought by Gilead has been replaced by speculation about whether they're going to make the Champions League and what a good job Eddie Howe is doing. Elite football is just completely morally bankrupt.

I ignore the Premier League unless we're in it (and even then I usually ignore it from about February onwards...). I'm relieved that our takeover doesn't seem to be coming with the same sort of moral obscenities. But in a way we are still playing that game. I see why we're doing it, and in many ways we don't have a choice, but it will be a sad day for me when we become just another squillionaire's plaything.

• Like 5

Yeah, was listening to TalkSport and some Man United fan who does YouTube or something now has his own slot on there. Basically his underlying point was "I know we criticised the Newcastle and Man City owners but if you can't beat them then join them".

I genuinely detest the Premier League. Yet because of football we need it to survive at any reasonable level. I guess with the Americans in situ there's an argument we would be a little less reliant. 

But our fans aren't significantly better. Many would take the same owners - its been discussed many a time.

At the moment we have the week to week flip flop to "What a player Sara is" to "Webber wasted ALL OUR MONEY SACK HIM NOW"

Football fans desperate for sackings every two weeks. What happened to just going to football and taking it game by game? You might have an awful game or a great game. But it never went further than that and a chat. I guess that's what little hogesar fell in love with initially.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, was listening to TalkSport and some Man United fan who does YouTube or something now has his own slot on there. Basically his underlying point was "I know we criticised the Newcastle and Man City owners but if you can't beat them then join them".

I genuinely detest the Premier League. Yet because of football we need it to survive at any reasonable level. I guess with the Americans in situ there's an argument we would be a little less reliant. 

But our fans aren't significantly better. Many would take the same owners - its been discussed many a time.

At the moment we have the week to week flip flop to "What a player Sara is" to "Webber wasted ALL OUR MONEY SACK HIM NOW"

Football fans desperate for sackings every two weeks. What happened to just going to football and taking it game by game? You might have an awful game or a great game. But it never went further than that and a chat. I guess that's what little hogesar fell in love with initially.

I think there is a sizable moral difference between simping for murderous dictatorships and calling for the SD to be sacked. I get your point but it's not in the same ballpark and just muddies the water.

I don't disagree though that a solid % of our fanbase would likely behave the same if similar interests wanted to buy us.

• Like 1

It goes a lot further than just football. Money and power are everything and although that is how it has always been, it is now going to extremes where wealth from around the world is taking over so many things.  It's immensely sad that English football at the top level is owned by super rich foreigners. We live in a global world, obviously, but as Russia have shown, if you have a problem with a country that is spending a lot of money in your own country, you end up shooting yourself in the foot if you fall out with them, or worse, you could end up pandering to them to keep them onside. Yuk. It stinks.

• Like 1

Saw the same thing at Newcastle. All their fans for years talking about the evils of Mick Ashley only to then throw all their morals in the bin and have a massive party the second Saudi owners turn up to the point they produly flew the Saudi flag at matches and dressed up in Saudi outfits too.

Pathetic.

• Like 3

What is happening to football is well down my list of things going on in the world to be worried about.

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Elite football is just completely morally bankrupt

There is probably nothing else to say, other than this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Every now and then something happens in the world of football that reminds me just how sick and broken the game at the top level is.

Right now it's Man U fans desperately justifying a Qatari state takeover of the club, acting as if all that matters is money and trophies, talking as if they are some deeply hard done by club on the brink of bankruptcy that needs saving, rather than one of the biggest clubs in the world who occasionally finish 5th rather than 1st now.

It's gross watching their fans simp on social media for a repressive theocracy, sticking Qatari flags in their bio while chucking out pointless whataboutery (oh but you own an iphone/subscribe to disney+ etc etc) all in the name of winning a couple more trophies and signing the latest big name from Porto or Bilbao, who they'll throw away the second a shinier toy is available. 

In the media that usual thing will happen- some of the decent journalists will raise objections (Miguel Delaney, Daniel Storey being good examples) but they'll soon be drowned out by the transfer speculation and the buzz of how the new shiny toys on the pitch will play. And all of this happening while the sprot itself gets a little less competitive and a little bit more financially unsustainable. 

And it makes me feel a little bit sick that joining this absolute ****show of moral and financial bankruptcy is what we, as a club, have to aspire to. Because otherwise what's the point? 

I feel like I'm so close to chucking it all in, maybe becoming one of those guys who goes to watch his local non-league team, ignoring the Premier League but then I end up thinking why should I have to walk away from something I've loved because of the decisions of those in charge, over whom I have no influence. 

I agree with all of that. I think the bit in bold is something the club's leadership is still working hard to avoid. The club itself is a good club that works hard to make a difference in the community as well as trying to deliver the best football it can with all of the odds against it.

Much of what you say is good reason to take a forgiving view of our own club when it doesn't achieve what everyone hopes it would.

Having said that, we've still beat Man City and Man U on occasion in the last 10 years, in spite of the obscene difference in financing, which is something to be proud of in my view. Then on top of that, what effort the club has made to get more money in has involved bringing in a viable and personable investor with a track record in supporting a community club in another sport to good effect; we're not selling out to human rights abusers in the quest for success.

This is why we should be proud of our club, win or lose.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I agree with all of that. I think the bit in bold is something the club's leadership is still working hard to avoid. The club itself is a good club that works hard to make a difference in the community as well as trying to deliver the best football it can with all of the odds against it.

Much of what you say is good reason to take a forgiving view of our own club when it doesn't achieve what everyone hopes it would.

Having said that, we've still beat Man City and Man U on occasion in the last 10 years, in spite of the obscene difference in financing, which is something to be proud of in my view. Then on top of that, what effort the club has made to get more money in has involved bringing in a viable and personable investor with a track record in supporting a community club in another sport to good effect; we're not selling out to human rights abusers in the quest for success.

This is why we should be proud of our club, win or lose. 

Seconded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, king canary said:

There is a lot to be said for local football but be careful what you wish for. In a couple of years time you'll find yourself asking where Mildenhall (or whoever) got the money from to pay half a new team. It's a regular occurance at Thurlow Nunn level. 

But I agree with everything that you say and agree with LYB that we should be proud of Norwich City. I have no idea though what the reaction on the whole would be if our club ended up in the hands of a very dubious individual or country. I wouldn't set foot in Carrow Road again but how many would take the opposite view? I dread to think. 

34 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is a lot to be said for local football but be careful what you wish for. In a couple of years time you'll find yourself asking where Mildenhall (or whoever) got the money from to pay half a new team. It's a regular occurance at Thurlow Nunn level. 

Yeah, money usually buys success at all levels. Interesting that while Stowmarket are saying they haven’t got problems, players can’t currently get out quick enough, I’m looking forward to Wroxham v Stow on Easter Monday 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Yeah, money usually buys success at all levels. Interesting that while Stowmarket are saying they haven’t got problems, players can’t currently get out quick enough, I’m looking forward to Wroxham v Stow on Easter Monday 

It’s nearly always double edged - talking of non league, I seem to recall various clubs who have a ‘moment’ and it nearly always goes pear-shaped - recently Billericay were bankrolled but ended up where they were before.   Clearly the prize in the PL/CL is much greater and on a vastly different scale. 

One thing I can’t understand is why everyone seems to think the Qatar bit will win, there’s other offers which are far more morally palatable.

Edited by Branston Pickle
Sp

Glazers buy for £700M and sell for £4.5BN. And the club has £500M of debt to pay off. WTF has happened that we are all prepared to sell our souls because if we aren't in the EPL, we are nothing. What a load of rubbish.

Doesn't matter what division you are in. There is still a game. Still a team to support. To cheer, to boo and argue with everyone on here. If it wasn't for the failures there couldn't be success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing below the EPL is hardly a failure though. And it's only deemed to be because of past success.

It just seems ridiculous to me that some seem to think the top 17 clubs is our natural home. It never has been and the only way to achieve that is to get one of the richest owners. As clubs are now owned by States that's going to be increasingly difficult. Only a couple of years ago many would have been happy for our owners to have sold to Russians. It's all in the archives...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I think there is a sizable moral difference between simping for murderous dictatorships and calling for the SD to be sacked. I get your point but it's not in the same ballpark and just muddies the water.

I don't disagree though that a solid % of our fanbase would likely behave the same if similar interests wanted to buy us.

I think its worth mentioning it though. It's not in the same ballpark but it comes from the same underlying notion of instant gratification and success from football. I'm not saying every fan who wants Webber sacked would also accept Qatar ownership but I'd be interested to see a poll!

This desire to sack as soon as something goes wrong comes from this preconception from football fans that it's no longer about going to the football for the match experience it's all about a constant upwards trajectory which is of course, impossible for clubs like us.

That necessity for instant success all the time is what makes so many fans happy to ignore murderous regimes taking over their football clubs and excuse it.

For me it's all linked. We dont have a murderous regime at the club but when you consider the Norwich fans who occasionally turn up, sitting behind me, when we lose calling Delia a "fcking wh*re, sell the fcking club" etc. 

• Like 1

The gulf between the Champ and Prem is getting ridiculous. I look at the Prem league table and I can’t see teams where we’d come away with 3 points. Unless Mr Attanasio intends on sinking lots of money into Norwich’s starting 11 going up we’re just going to be the PL whipping boy again. 

5 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

The gulf between the Champ and Prem is getting ridiculous. I look at the Prem league table and I can’t see teams where we’d come away with 3 points. Unless Mr Attanasio intends on sinking lots of money into Norwich’s starting 11 going up we’re just going to be the PL whipping boy again. 

IMHO there is a place for the clubs like Brentford and to a lesser extent, the Palaces and Brightons, who take  some extra investment on top of genuine income and exploit that to get into the PL. For a time they are successful, if you define success as finishing somewhere mid-table, but they either falter if they are not constantly fed more cash, or their fans get greedy for more. But the room for this is ever shrinking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

Just throwing this out there: I was more than happy winning the Championship every other season while being one of the only self-financing clubs outside the top tier of the Premier League.

It's why I've been so vociferously against every step the club has taken away from that paradigm. 

• Like 2

One of the reasons I cancelled my season ticket after 20 odd years. That and the cost per game, the drive in, the parking, the food, the drinks, the entire day taken up for 90 minutes…..I’ve actually been to about 20 odd Oxford games and it’s all a lot more old school atmosphere.

Until there’s an intervention by all top leagues to agree on maximum squad numbers and salary caps, the rich clubs will have control and the rest of the clubs supporters will continue to be bored out their minds trying to ensure safety! Footballers have to take a massive part of the blame asking for such insane salary demands, it’s not right!

Time to have one summer transfer window, all players over 23 years of age and not in your squad are open to free moves to other clubs, a 50 million pound squad salary cap, any issues during the season in squad injuries are covered from your own youth development system and squad.

Can you imagine how competitive the Premier League would be but it’ll never happen as it opens up the potential for all clubs to be competitive.

Do you honestly think if that happened to NCFC our fans would be any different? No they wouldn’t, all the fans want to see now are clubs winning trophies.

Football is and has been corrupt for years, it’s from the very top down, just look at all the scandals FIFA has been involved in. Until they sort themselves out, nothing will change as they just turn a blind eye to what’s really happening

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Saw the same thing at Newcastle. All their fans for years talking about the evils of Mick Ashley only to then throw all their morals in the bin and have a massive party the second Saudi owners turn up to the point they produly flew the Saudi flag at matches and dressed up in Saudi outfits too.

Pathetic.

Yup. Mike Ashley is the devil incarnate because some of his products are made in sweatshops . (And Newcastle was near the bottom of the league) 

Saudi Royal Family are an acceptable partner for the wonderful Geordie fan base (And Newcastle are near the top of the league)  

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

IMHO there is a place for the clubs like Brentford and to a lesser extent, the Palaces and Brightons, who take  some extra investment on top of genuine income and exploit that to get into the PL. For a time they are successful, if you define success as finishing somewhere mid-table, but they either falter if they are not constantly fed more cash, or their fans get greedy for more. But the room for this is ever shrinking.

Completely agree. But even those “lesser” teams are pulling out of view now. Look at the Prem table from 12th down - it’s crazy to think in the space of 10 years, when we were last competitive in the Prem, just how much has changed. The problem then becomes out of those teams that get relegated how do Championship teams compete for promotion places against the likes of Leeds, Wolves etc?!

• Like 1