TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Of course there are other Rangers forums but this one isn't going overboard on getting Cantwell in. Could be a loan for the remainder of the season, which doesn't really help us much...

https://theblueseaofibrox.boards.net/thread/5540/rumoured-january-window-signings

To be fair if your club was linked to Cantwell and you knew all about his failed bournmouth loan and all his shenanigans here at Norwich would you be happy and exicited if you found out your club was about to buy him?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

In the few matches Todd was in this season, my impression was that he ran around an awful lot without achieving very much - probably trying too hard. Very difficult for him to come into a malfunctioning team and make an impression, at his best he is a good link player with a bit of added flair, but he needs teamates around him to be of like mind and under Smith, no-one seemed to be very switched on. 

His chance to shine was under Farke who got the team to function way better than the sum of it's parts at this level and for whatever reason, he lost his way. He could probably be a good fit for Wagner, but that is not going to happen now - best he goes and tries his luck elsewhere.

From his limited time on the pitch, I thought his running around an awful lot was much better than Nunez and Sara's running around a little bit. And the obsession with wanting to play both Sarge and Teemu meant the effectiveness from width was reduced. What next.? Tim Krul at left back as he is too good a player to be left out?

Smith messed this up.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ridgeman said:

It would be nice to know what is happening, Ibrox news said on Monday that he was in Glasgow for a medical, its now Thursday.

If he's as delicate a flower as we're led to believe we'll be lucky to get the result in a fortnight....

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair if your club was linked to Cantwell and you knew all about his failed bournmouth loan and all his shenanigans here at Norwich would you be happy and exicited if you found out your club was about to buy him?

I guess I'd be more happier if we'd loan that player first on a 'try before you buy' basis, which is what Bournemouth did and what Rangers might do.

Not sure where it leaves Todd though, but that's his risk in running down his contract. He's been very badly advised.

26 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I guess I'd be more happier if we'd loan that player first on a 'try before you buy' basis, which is what Bournemouth did and what Rangers might do.

Not sure where it leaves Todd though, but that's his risk in running down his contract. He's been very badly advised.

Seems to be the case all through this saga.

21 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Assuming you are counting Wagner as the third... you are forgetting that Scott Parker also ended up benching him then leaving him behind when they got promoted.

The only constant is Todd Cantwell.

No, I was referring to the three Norwich managers.

I would have liked to have seen Wagner spend time with Todd but it seems that the die is alreay cast and Wagner won't have the opportunity to motivate and realise the undoubted potential of the player. 

As for Parker - Webber sanctioned Todd's loan to a well established, high flying Bournemouth team on 31 January 2022 stipulating a (laughable) £10M option to buy. Parker's deadline day, last minute 'why not' decision was to 'bolster midfield attacking options' despite Todd failing to get match time at Norwich. What Todd desperately needed was game time but, understandably, he was unable to secure a place in a team which, several months later, gained automatic promotion six points clear of third placed Huddersfield. 

None of us will ever know the facts behind Todd's decline but it seems clear that he has had personal problems and it appears, to me anyway, that the Club has shown an absence of duty of care toward him. Only my opinion of course. 

He is a local lad, has undeniable talent, I am sorry to see him go and I wish him all the best wherever he ends up.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

From his limited time on the pitch, I thought his running around an awful lot was much better than Nunez and Sara's running around a little bit. And the obsession with wanting to play both Sarge and Teemu meant the effectiveness from width was reduced. What next.? Tim Krul at left back as he is too good a player to be left out?

Smith messed this up.

I think Sara runs a lot, but trying to fit square pegs in round hole sited in a way which made no sense with respect to the layout of a golf course.  This bonkers idea will define the Smith era for me.

I know we have had our fair share of bad managers over the years, but to me given the squad and the importance of this season for  the club I cannot think of one who has done more  damage than Smith.

There is nothing to look back in fondness at. Unexciting, boring,pointless football.Even the winning streak was unconvncing. Who expected  it to last playing that dross?

I can't think of one positive thing to say about Smith's tenure. It was awful. Aready this new chap has breathed some life into the club and the players who had previously seemed leaderless and nervous have at least shown signs of beif in themseles again  ... one  cup game, training sessions and comments.

Job badly done. Enjoy your pay-off Mr Smith 

Sacked at  least one month too late.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Ironically Cantwell as a talented, technically good player who was touted with big money moves earlier on in their career but who hasn't fulfilled their early promise, has fallen out with their club and who is looking for a fresh start for not much of a transfer fee after some injury problems has all the hallmarks of a classic Webber transfer target ... 🤔😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Erraticus said:

No, I was referring to the three Norwich managers.

I would have liked to have seen Wagner spend time with Todd but it seems that the die is alreay cast and Wagner won't have the opportunity to motivate and realise the undoubted potential of the player. 

As for Parker - Webber sanctioned Todd's loan to a well established, high flying Bournemouth team on 31 January 2022 stipulating a (laughable) £10M option to buy. Parker's deadline day, last minute 'why not' decision was to 'bolster midfield attacking options' despite Todd failing to get match time at Norwich. What Todd desperately needed was game time but, understandably, he was unable to secure a place in a team which, several months later, gained automatic promotion six points clear of third placed Huddersfield. 

None of us will ever know the facts behind Todd's decline but it seems clear that he has had personal problems and it appears, to me anyway, that the Club has shown an absence of duty of care toward him. Only my opinion of course. 

He is a local lad, has undeniable talent, I am sorry to see him go and I wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

They come and go.

Yes he's local, yes he's talented. 

Gives another kid a shot at breaking through and making a name for themselves, Rowe looks promising.

Let's be honest here... Cantwell drives a Lambo and charters private jets for his summer holidays, we can't afford to commit to another 3 years of Lambo money on the basis of a perhaps 50/50 chance that Wagner can get a tune out of him next season. 

It also assumes that Wagner wants Cantwell. He isn't a carbon copy of Farke, we can't assume that he wants us develop us into a team which plays in a way which suits Cantwell, and even Cantwell at his best was not quite good enough to build a team around. He wasn't a Wes or a Buendia.

Wagner will have his own ideas. I'd suggest that in our post-Pukki reality we might need more conventional wide players, I don't think constantly playing the ball to feet or looking to play in behind is  going to make as much sense as it does now with Pukki... Sargent can and will score a lot with his head.

Giannoulis is arguably more important to our future than Cantwell, what with him being a quality crosser of the ball when Sargent and Idah are our under contract strikers.

If we're talking attacking midfielders then start with the question "will they supply our strikers and chip in with goals", Cantwell hasn't a single goal or assist for 18+ months now. 

Let's not forget that the England U21 manager also dropped him for attitude and then dug him out publicly. 

I don't consider Webber to be competent anymore, Dean Smith even less so, but the problem with Cantwell begins and ends with Cantwell. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

Ok, apologies for lumping you in with the 'haters'. I appreciate people sharing opposing opinions and obviously neither of us is objectively wrong. I just get pretty tired of reading all the irrational attacks against one of our players.

In terms of 'effectiveness' counting assists is a red herring when you consider the quality of the chances Cantwell created in one of his most recent appearances. And the out of possession stuff has far more to do with the flawed tactics than individual play. Getting 'walked through' is normally a result of an overload because our other players are out of position.

I still think Todd has offered more than the rest of our midfield in his limited appearances this season. I think he was largely left out because Smith was trying to play the more athletic midfielders in an increasingly desperate attempt to make his flawed ideology work. Cantwell is exactly what we've been missing.

Yeah, Hanley/ Russ Martin out and get rid of Dean Smith while you're at it. Oh...

Kenny?

Edited by The Bristol Nest

If Cantwell goes to Rangers he'll be in a team that generally dominates possession in a league where half the teams are League One quality. Should do well in theory.

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If Cantwell goes to Rangers he'll be in a team that generally dominates possession in a league where half the teams are League One quality. Should do well in theory.

He's already in a team which generally dominates possession in a league where half the teams are League One quality. He's not doing all that great either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

He's already in a team which generally dominates possession in a league where half the teams are League One quality. He's not doing all that great either.

4, 5 or 6 out of 24 isn't half,  but I get your point.

Why is it taking so long if he’s going? Is it just paper talk along with Hugill. I read somewhere today the Reading have restrictions meaning they can’t sign Hugill until they get rid of a player at present.

Are they genuine or just trash paper making it all up to fill the transfer talk pages?

7 hours ago, Erraticus said:

In what way? 

When the end of the world happens they’ll be three things left after Armageddon: Cockroaches, Rockabillies and threads about Todd Cantwell

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why is it taking so long if he’s going? Is it just paper talk along with Hugill. I read somewhere today the Reading have restrictions meaning they can’t sign Hugill until they get rid of a player at present.

Are they genuine or just trash paper making it all up to fill the transfer talk pages?

We might be after a Replacement first ?

13 minutes ago, percy varco said:

When does the Circus leave town?

It will be great when it over.  Then I can just watch his career with fondness.

Wonder what the next 5 months would hold for Cantwell if he only signed a pre contract agreement with Rangers but didnt actually leave in Jan?

Can't imagine he'd play for us again, is it possible for him to do even less than he is now??!?

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

We might be after a Replacement first ?

Doubt it, he's barely played for us this season.

Seems strange he was nowhere to be seen last weekend, rumoured to be having a medical at Rangers and then nothing. Perhaps the medical went psychological as well as physical and they didn't like the findings.

Will be an interesting presser...

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Doubt it, he's barely played for us this season.

Seems strange he was nowhere to be seen last weekend, rumoured to be having a medical at Rangers and then nothing. Perhaps the medical went psychological as well as physical and they didn't like the findings.

Will be an interesting presser...

i know he has not played or likely to play but if we say unlikely got around play off places and we had a ton of injuries Todd is contracted so expected to play unless things are so bad he has to move ASAP here 

if not maybe a sticking point Ranger want to loan him ? for the last few months of his contract  try before you buy sign etc?

Todd will want to sign a full contract as if he messes this move up where will he be left in 6 months time ?

or his Agent is hoping a another club comes in 

I should think everyone is hoping another club comes in. Us, Todd and his agent. Force the fee and wages up. If there’s any sign of that happening then Rangers deal could drag on…..

On 12/01/2023 at 00:54, Google Bot said:

I can kinda see where you're coming from.  But let's expand the season out, and imagine a turn around in our fortunes, and we're facing Blackburn either in playoff semi's or the final itself.

You just know the ****er will come on and do something against us, it's almost written in the stars that one.  I'd rather he went to Rangers for a quid, personally! 🙂

But then it depends if £1.5m would make any difference to us, I guess....  At this point, I think we've been pissing far more money than that away and it's almost trivial tbh.

If they pay £1.5m then that's revenue in, but we're also likely saving at least that on top for wages for the next six months.

If Wagner sees him being useful the next six-months, then I guess it's worth it, but if not, that money could go into new youngsters in the academy who could return a dividend for the club rather than just paying wages for no benefit.

Same applies for Pukki, although overall I do lean to having Pukki around as backup for Sargent while we still can if we're still pursuing promotion.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If they pay £1.5m then that's revenue in, but we're also likely saving at least that on top for wages for the next six months.

If Wagner sees him being useful the next six-months, then I guess it's worth it, but if not, that money could go into new youngsters in the academy who could return a dividend for the club rather than just paying wages for no benefit.

Same applies for Pukki, although overall I do lean to having Pukki around as backup for Sargent while we still can if we're still pursuing promotion.

Yep! Cantwell doesn't look to have much of a role to play for the second half of the season, unless Wagner thinks otherwise. We'll see.

Whilst we are in with the chance of play-offs, we need Pukki playing as much as possible.

Some have suggested behind Sargent, Might make sense, Pukki is versatile and brainy. The Sarge is less subtle, but has  found his eye for goal.

• Like 1

Fabulous news he isn’t available as he is talking to other clubs , hopefully we will not see the useless ** in a Norwich shirt again 

• Like 1

Interesting the openness of Wagner on the situation in his presser. Suggests there is a bit of marketing going on by club over potential competition over demand for his services.

• Like 1