TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

Wish him well enough when he goes.

Ultimately there were a few obstacles put in his way at times, but it's about how those obstacles were handled that leaves a bit of a bitter taste.

This all being said, if it's an understanding and patient fanbase he's looking for then he's in for a shock at Rangers. Expectations at Ibrox are a bit 'more' than you'll get at Norwich or Bournemouth.

Todd is Todd....We'll probably never know the crux of the matter behind the reasons behind, or regarding his intermittent appearances for us after showing huge promise in the seasons previously....

Whatever occurs a move will be the best for Todd and I do personally wish him the best of future football fortune.... 

• Like 1

I’ll be very sorry to see him go. Involved in plenty of top memories and such a shame it has come to this. I hope he gets back to his best.

Cantwell strikes me as someone who wants to make it all about him. He loves the fact there are pages upon pages of fans discussing him and his situation on forums such as these.

Webber was right to call him out for attention seeking when he sat on the pitch for ages on his own after Farke's relegation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Erraticus said:

Todd has now had three managers in just over a year. The only constant is Webber. 

Assuming you are counting Wagner as the third... you are forgetting that Scott Parker also ended up benching him then leaving him behind when they got promoted.

The only constant is Todd Cantwell.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Ideally.

I'm not really sure what the hell Michael Beale Is doing, though. Rangers already have Hagi and young Lowry. Both really good number 10s.

I think if Rangers do get Cantwell he might play a 4-3-3 with Hagi* and Cantwell flanking a striker.

It'll be an interesting watch.

*Yes. It's Gheorghe Hagi's son. And no, talent wise he is nothing like his father. His father was legit world class.

Hagi hasn't played for almost a year due to a serious ACL injury, I'm guessing they won't know how good he will actually be when he's back on the pitch.

Cantwell's better in a team on the front foot, but that Ibrox atmosphere will either make him or break him.

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Cantwell's better in a team on the front foot, but that Ibrox atmosphere will either make him or break him.

That's usually true of all players.

I can't help but think Cantwell and the will he or won't he has a been a toxic sore at the club for too long. Started with Farke at the end of the first relegation with both Emi and Cantwell touted with high value moves. Emi knuckled down, Cantwell didn't and seemed to sulk. What message did it send to the other players? I'm too good to be here ?

Best moved on. 

Are any of the stories true?  I just have that feeling that they do not quite feel right.  Todd is available for free at the end of the season, are we trying desperately to drum up some interest, it feels like these sorts of links, but not actual bids have been circulating since Leeds said they wanted Todd 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

*Yes. It's Gheorghe Hagi's son. And no, talent wise he is nothing like his father. His father was legit world class.

We know all about that being saddled with Paul Dalglish for three years at the turn of the century.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

We know all about that being saddled with Paul Dalglish for three years at the turn of the century.

Kevin Bond

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Are any of the stories true?  I just have that feeling that they do not quite feel right.  Todd is available for free at the end of the season, are we trying desperately to drum up some interest, it feels like these sorts of links, but not actual bids have been circulating since Leeds said they wanted Todd 3 years ago.

We paid £2m for Johnny Howson in 2012 when he had 6 months left on his Leeds contract. A similar fee would be sensible if there's potentially more competition in the summer. I'd imagine quite a few clubs would be interested. 

Blackburn's bid is reportedly £1.5m. Can't see us selling to a promotion rival. Glasgow much more likely, but do Rangers have £1.5m?

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We paid £2m for Johnny Howson in 2012 when he had 6 months left on his Leeds contract. A similar fee would be sensible if there's potentially more competition in the summer. I'd imagine quite a few clubs would be interested. 

I suspect this is all 'agent' talk as before at present. Todd wants out, needs out and a restart. Fair enough. Doubt anybody in the higher leagues will want to take much of a risk on him or meet 'his' expectations c.f. Bournemouth.

I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens at all as before but if we do get some money then all well and good!

Any business we can force through on Cantwell is good business. I suspect as others have said, this is a bit if a rumour started by us to get a bit of cash on s worthless asset. I’d sell him to Blackburn if they’re genuinely offering £1.5 million, they’re a rival for sure but selling a rival Cantwell is hardly a mistake when he is totally ineffective. 

• Like 2

On 10/01/2023 at 19:00, Richard Richard said:

Rangers have the advantage with any bargaining. Don't want to pay what Norwich are asking? Fine, just wait until the summer and get him for free!

Would City take as low as £750k rather than getting zero for him in a few months? 

I think I'd take whatever I could get and get him off the wage bill now.

Real shame, decent player in there somewhere but far too distracted for whatever reason, time to go.

I suspect that whilst the fee might be low, the detail might be more important such as a sell on clause etc. I could see Rangers agreeing to that. After all, if they get him for as little as £500k-£1m, they could well be exactly the place he needs to go to refocus away from the types of fans we have who troll his instagram etc and try to persuade others of his sexuality, as if that matters? This being the club that gave us Justin Fashanu... yet some still haven't learnt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

selling a rival Cantwell is hardly a mistake when he is totally ineffective

I honestly don't understand what you think you see on the pitch. Cantwell has been anything but 'ineffective' when I've seen him play this season. His movement off the ball is so much better than any of the other midfielders - he actually pulls players out of position and creates space for others in a way that no one else does. He drops deep to receive the ball and rapidly moves it forwards which is exactly what we've been missing. I despair with the attitude of of some of our so called 'supporters'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I suspect that whilst the fee might be low, the detail might be more important such as a sell on clause etc. I could see Rangers agreeing to that. After all, if they get him for as little as £500k-£1m, they could well be exactly the place he needs to go to refocus away from the types of fans we have who troll his instagram etc and try to persuade others of his sexuality, as if that matters? This being the club that gave us Justin Fashanu... yet some still haven't learnt. 

I think the people that troll him in these ways are not necessarily NCFC fan’s exclusively, in fact I’d wager most aren’t. I have made a comment on here about his braids phase, which I regret and was not something I’d repeat, but I  wouldn’t have commented directly to him as a ‘follower’ if I had social media and followed him, do take done comfort in knowing he is unlikely to have seen my error. 
I wound say that the majority of the comments about him from NCFC fans are about his quality and ability as a footballer. Many say ‘wasted talent’ equally many say ‘not good enough’. Some question his motivation. All comments by fans that are of this nature in my eyes are valid, as they would be for any other player we are unsatisfied with. 
The biggest issue for Todd is that the types of fans that do troll him will always be present at every single club, it’s not right but he can’t escape them unless he simply doesn’t ever play poorly for the rest of his career abd even then opposing fans will go on to slate him. It’s not the fans, it’s the nature of a huge number of people and their relationships with anonymous social media. The socials can earn you a living but they can and will chew you up too, especially in sports where tribalism is ingrained. Rangers vs Celtic means I fear for him more and more if he decides to retain a social media presence, because the vitriol is inevitable and I almost guarantee will be more extreme and regular for him

I love, Todd, grew up just outside Dereham, but it is a long time since he really influenced a game, although he shows flashes of potential in every game.

35 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I honestly don't understand what you think you see on the pitch. Cantwell has been anything but 'ineffective' when I've seen him play this season. His movement off the ball is so much better than any of the other midfielders - he actually pulls players out of position and creates space for others in a way that no one else does. He drops deep to receive the ball and rapidly moves it forwards which is exactly what we've been missing. I despair with the attitude of of some of our so called 'supporters'. 

Because my opinion on the effectiveness and impact of one player differs from your own you can’t question whether I am a supporter. You clearly see things in Cantwell that I have not. In the very limited time he has played this season I have seen him show a decent spirit, but ultimately run around without the ball and chase shadows while opposition midfielders bypass him without much issue. Just to be clear this is not what I ‘think’ I see, but what I have absolutely seen with my own eyes, it is obviously not your interpretation.
If he was showing all the promise you’ve seen then why are we not talking about even more clubs looking at him? Why is he not being utilised in a team struggling for creativity in a results and money driven industry? Either he isn’t as good as you’ve interpreted his performances to be, he doesn’t want to be in the team for reasons of fitness or motivation or other unspecified or the club have a vendetta against him so strong that they’re willing to take a few million pound bath on his value to oust him.

Ultimately him being walked through in midfield is not his fault because he is not a defensive midfielder, he is (apparently) an attacking and/or creative one. The trouble being with the ball at his feet he has failed to create literally anything over 2 and a half seasons (or to be more specific when he no longer had Buendia), even at a club riding high and playing with confidence in Bournemouth, where he was utilised early and very quickly dropped BEFORE being injured and seeing out the rest of their promotion season from the comfort of home (and then claiming that promotion his CV somehow), he produced nothing that has led to a goal. 

Im happy to agree to disagree, I’m not happy to be told I’m a ‘so called supporter’ because you deem my view of Cantwell (shared by multiple others) to be the ‘wrong’ one. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Ideally.

I'm not really sure what the hell Michael Beale Is doing, though. Rangers already have Hagi and young Lowry. Both really good number 10s.

I think if Rangers do get Cantwell he might play a 4-3-3 with Hagi* and Cantwell flanking a striker.

It'll be an interesting watch.

I saw Hagi play a couple of times when he was 'in his pomp!'

I still think he's probably the best player I've ever seen on a pitch with my own eyes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’d sell him to Blackburn if they’re genuinely offering £1.5 million, they’re a rival for sure but selling a rival Cantwell is hardly a mistake when he is totally ineffective.

I can kinda see where you're coming from.  But let's expand the season out, and imagine a turn around in our fortunes, and we're facing Blackburn either in playoff semi's or the final itself.

You just know the ****er will come on and do something against us, it's almost written in the stars that one.  I'd rather he went to Rangers for a quid, personally! 🙂

But then it depends if £1.5m would make any difference to us, I guess....  At this point, I think we've been pissing far more money than that away and it's almost trivial tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I can kinda see where you're coming from.  But let's expand the season out, and imagine a turn around in our fortunes, and we're facing Blackburn either in playoff semi's or the final itself.

You just know the ****er will come on and do something against us, it's almost written in the stars that one.  I'd rather he went to Rangers for a quid, personally! 🙂

But then it depends if £1.5m would make any difference to us, I guess....  At this point, I think we've been pissing far more money than that away and it's almost trivial tbh.

Yep, **** the marginal gains , lets have more " don't  sweat the small stuff' . 

11 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Im happy to agree to disagree, I’m not happy to be told I’m a ‘so called supporter’ because you deem my view of Cantwell (shared by multiple others) to be the ‘wrong’ one.

Ok, apologies for lumping you in with the 'haters'. I appreciate people sharing opposing opinions and obviously neither of us is objectively wrong. I just get pretty tired of reading all the irrational attacks against one of our players.

In terms of 'effectiveness' counting assists is a red herring when you consider the quality of the chances Cantwell created in one of his most recent appearances. And the out of possession stuff has far more to do with the flawed tactics than individual play. Getting 'walked through' is normally a result of an overload because our other players are out of position.

I still think Todd has offered more than the rest of our midfield in his limited appearances this season. I think he was largely left out because Smith was trying to play the more athletic midfielders in an increasingly desperate attempt to make his flawed ideology work. Cantwell is exactly what we've been missing.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I still think Todd has offered more than the rest of our midfield in his limited appearances this season. I think he was largely left out because Smith was trying to play the more athletic midfielders in an increasingly desperate attempt to make his flawed ideology work. Cantwell is exactly what we've been missing.

In the few matches Todd was in this season, my impression was that he ran around an awful lot without achieving very much - probably trying too hard. Very difficult for him to come into a malfunctioning team and make an impression, at his best he is a good link player with a bit of added flair, but he needs teamates around him to be of like mind and under Smith, no-one seemed to be very switched on. 

His chance to shine was under Farke who got the team to function way better than the sum of it's parts at this level and for whatever reason, he lost his way. He could probably be a good fit for Wagner, but that is not going to happen now - best he goes and tries his luck elsewhere.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

I'll come to terms with releasing the likes of Todd Cantwell when I see who we get to replace him. Based on what I've seen so far this season they certainly not at the club yet.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

In the few matches Todd was in this season, my impression was that he ran around an awful lot without achieving very much - probably trying too hard

Yeah my impressions too, it seemed as though his higher level of skill had deserted him so resorted to putting a shift in  - Which I presumed was an attempt of getting the engine started, and really respected that.

I don't see a lack of desire there, and it's really frustrating not knowing what is going on behind the scenes and how that ties in to his future (or lack of) here. 

I just wish we knew roughly what was up, because I find myself falling down the "He's having a sulk" or "He wants more money/fame" hole, no matter how open minded I try and be on it all.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Ok, apologies for lumping you in with the 'haters'. I appreciate people sharing opposing opinions and obviously neither of us is objectively wrong. I just get pretty tired of reading all the irrational attacks against one of our players.

In terms of 'effectiveness' counting assists is a red herring when you consider the quality of the chances Cantwell created in one of his most recent appearances. And the out of possession stuff has far more to do with the flawed tactics than individual play. Getting 'walked through' is normally a result of an overload because our other players are out of position.

a in form Cantwell is what we are missing ,

and really nothing stopping him playing here for years if he wanted to 

it is either the contract was rubbish or he fell out with someone higher up than manager if it was webber why not perform really well at bournemouth ? 

Or he had some sort of issues and wants to get away 

he has had 3 managers now Farke Smith Parker and only Farke got a real tune out of him and it even went wrong when farke was here 

what his problem is i have no idea will it change due to changing club ? it didn't with bournemouth 

will it change with manager it didn't with smith and parker ,

Nice coastal Bournemouth and Norwich are a million miles away from a big city like Glasgow ,

So Many questions and only Todd can answer that ,i imagine if he goes to Rangers and plays like we all know he can it must of been a problem here 

It would be nice to know what is happening, Ibrox news said on Monday that he was in Glasgow for a medical, its now Thursday.

Todd has not been able to reproduce his early form and there seems to be constant " heads not right" messages. He fell out with Farke, did not impress Smith or Parker enough in training to get in the side. He was not picked by Wagner for the cup game so I think the best for all parties is to go our separate ways... but if he thinks Rangers is easy, maybe pick up the phone and ask Russell Martin. Unfortunately I think he will be one of those that shone brightly only to fade quickly and never recover... hope I am wrong but only Todd can improve Todd.