TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

It seems like Cantwell is not interested in playing for us and as such the quicker he goes the better (imagine not putting in a stint at work, speaking to a competitor and still getting paid!). Effort should go to supporting those still here and putting in the effort.

13 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

It seems like Cantwell is not interested in playing for us and as such the quicker he goes the better (imagine not putting in a stint at work, speaking to a competitor and still getting paid!). Effort should go to supporting those still here and putting in the effort.

you do know if Todd read this forum he would be straight on Twitter /Instagram with some quote from a US Rapper 

about how much he loves the club and he is not injured and its all someone elses fault and share a picture of him walking his dog or doing a Tik Tok video 

21 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They come and go.

Yes he's local, yes he's talented. 

Gives another kid a shot at breaking through and making a name for themselves, Rowe looks promising.

Let's be honest here... Cantwell drives a Lambo and charters private jets for his summer holidays, we can't afford to commit to another 3 years of Lambo money on the basis of a perhaps 50/50 chance that Wagner can get a tune out of him next season. 

It also assumes that Wagner wants Cantwell. He isn't a carbon copy of Farke, we can't assume that he wants us develop us into a team which plays in a way which suits Cantwell, and even Cantwell at his best was not quite good enough to build a team around. He wasn't a Wes or a Buendia.

Wagner will have his own ideas. I'd suggest that in our post-Pukki reality we might need more conventional wide players, I don't think constantly playing the ball to feet or looking to play in behind is  going to make as much sense as it does now with Pukki... Sargent can and will score a lot with his head.

Giannoulis is arguably more important to our future than Cantwell, what with him being a quality crosser of the ball when Sargent and Idah are our under contract strikers.

If we're talking attacking midfielders then start with the question "will they supply our strikers and chip in with goals", Cantwell hasn't a single goal or assist for 18+ months now. 

Let's not forget that the England U21 manager also dropped him for attitude and then dug him out publicly. 

I don't consider Webber to be competent anymore, Dean Smith even less so, but the problem with Cantwell begins and ends with Cantwell. 

"They come and go.

Yes he's local, yes he's talented."   that's exactly the point but you have missed it. Webber's policy has been to bring in promising young players originating from around the world - Germany, Columbia, Argentina, Cuba, Kosova, Poland, Greece and so on - like a prospector panning for gold, Webber has hoped that amongst the gravel and sediment which ultimately has to be discarded there may be a nugget or two which justifies the process, and we know who those players are. The point is that Todd is not one of these transitory Webber hopefuls, Todd has been a part of Norwich City Football Club since joining the academy as a boy. The Club and the fans have 'invested' in him for 14+ years and we know that he has great ability. One example : i remember very clearly making the long trip to Norwich for the opening match of the 2019/20 season which we won 3-1 (a rather clumsy, wrong-footed Hanley conceding at the last gasp !) with Todd providing two assists for Pukki's brace.

"Gives another kid a shot at breaking through and making a name for themselves, Rowe looks promising".  If Rowe is good enough, and early indications are encouraging, then he doesn't need other players to make way for him

"Let's be honest here... Cantwell drives a Lambo and charters private jets for his summer holidays, we can't afford to commit to another 3 years of Lambo money on the basis of a perhaps 50/50 chance that Wagner can get a tune out of him next season."  That's just silly. No one is suggesting that Todd is given a three contract. The point here is that we are still hoping to make the play-offs and a remotivated Todd would play an important part in achieving that objective but it appears that Wagner, a manager known for his man motivation abilities, won't have the chance to work with Todd. Webber might get a million or two for Todd, if he's very lucky, and lose his wage bill but what is that when weighed against the possibility of promotion which, in turn, may create a different context for Todd and the Club to consider their next moves. Only my opinion, but I don't think Webber is in any way invested in Todd and doesn't regard Todd Cantwell as his responsibility ; after all he is occupied taking responsibility for so many other players that have come and gone and who are still going, which have cost our Club huge amounts of stake money.

It also assumes that Wagner wants Cantwell. No assumptions on my part. Wagner would need some time to form an opinion and I am pretty sure that there must be other players in our squad ahead of Todd in that particular queue 

All academic, of course, it seems clear that Todd will be gone withion the next week or two. Never mind the players that come and go, Todd was with us for 14 years and I can't help think that he represents a missed opportunity and that the Club and many fans failed him. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Brave move for both parties if Todd joins Rangers. Their fans will crucify him quickly for half arsed performances or attitude issues. 

Should feel like home from home then !

16 minutes ago, Erraticus said:

"They come and go.

Yes he's local, yes he's talented."   that's exactly the point but you have missed it. Webber's policy has been to bring in promising young players originating from around the world - Germany, Columbia, Argentina, Cuba, Kosova, Poland, Greece and so on - like a prospector panning for gold, Webber has hoped that amongst the gravel and sediment which ultimately has to be discarded there may be a nugget or two which justifies the process, and we know who those players are. The point is that Todd is not one of these transitory Webber hopefuls, Todd has been a part of Norwich City Football Club since joining the academy as a boy. The Club and the fans have 'invested' in him for 14+ years and we know that he has great ability.

Right and for many years we recruited our youngsters from Wales and the South West, because of the lack of talent locally. Bellamy, Llewellyn, Cureton, Akinbiyi, Eadie.

But why are you this emotionally invested in Todd Cantwell because he's local and he's been here 14 years..

... were you this emotionally invested in Declan Rudd (18 years), or Josh Murphy (12 years), or Jacob Murphy (11 years)? What about Joe Lewis (13 years) or Carlton Morris (15 years). Why do you set Cantwell apart?

The Murphy's are living evidence that you get out of the game what you put in. Josh was considered the more talented of the two and yet he's struggling to get starts in League One, the manager of his former club released him for unprofessionalism, and his twin Jacob has 3.5 years left on a Premier League contract with a team in the Champions League places and is still getting game time under Eddie Howe.

We gave them both the platform. Did we fail Josh Murphy then? If so, how come we didn't fail Jacob Murphy?

I genuinely hope that Todd Cantwell goes on to have a long career and is still playing at a high level in 10 years time, but I wouldn't bet on it. Will he be a Jacob or will he be a Josh? That's up to him mate. Not sure we owe him anything beyond some good wishes! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Brave move for both parties if Todd joins Rangers. Their fans will crucify him quickly for half arsed performances or attitude issues. 

I doubt even Rangers supporters would be a vitriolic as many on here.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If Cantwell can't perform against the likes of Kilmarnock, Motherwell, and Ross County then I'd suggest he swaps the lambo for a Renault Clio and starts wearing black boots.

Today's news has got Blades fans up here excited! 😂 I cannot see how he could fit into their squad, but the fans seem to think he can be a big part of their future! 🤦🏻‍♂️ Maybe he can be a secret agent for us ... 😉 

I suspect there has not been the clamour for his signature. Least not for the wages he may have been expecting, or nowhere near what we were paying. Yes he will eventually sign for someone, but I doubt it will be at the level he would have believed were he to have moved after that goal v Man City.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I suspect there has not been the clamour for his signature. Least not for the wages he may have been expecting, or nowhere near what we were paying. Yes he will eventually sign for someone, but I doubt it will be at the level he would have believed were he to have moved after that goal v Man City.

I can see why Rangers would be a big draw to a player who otherwise is probably only going to get offers from the bottom of then Prem or top of the Championship. 

Big noisy crowd, iconic brand, European football, and at the minute a pretty good squad - definitely better than ours.

But yes, if thinking purely of the money, I suspect that if he'd sat around a table with Webber 18 months to hammer out a new deal he'd have been offered more money than he's going to get at his next club unless he goes full sell out and moves to the Middle East.

Curiously, I struggle to remember many games in which you can say he particularly played poorly. Perhaps Wigan A a few years ago after he cut his hair, and I seem to remember he had a difficult time away at a very physical West Ham once, but you never really see him have a stinker. However you also can't really say he ever ran a game for us.

Probably speaks volumes to the fact that his fall from grace isn't really about what happened on the pitch. Blonde Ravel Morrsion.

5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Curiously, I struggle to remember many games in which you can say he particularly played poorly. Perhaps Wigan A a few years ago after he cut his hair, and I seem to remember he had a difficult time away at a very physical West Ham once, but you never really see him have a stinker. However you also can't really say he ever ran a game for us.

Probably speaks volumes to the fact that his fall from grace isn't really about what happened on the pitch. Blonde Ravel Morrsion.

He looked utterly dreadful and out of his depth at the start of the season last year under Farke in my opinion.

That was the period where it was obvious he was having some sort of confidence crisis or personal problems, looked unfit and weaker and just way off the required standard for that level.

He had a period this season where he looked quite good, but I think Smith wanted to see goals and assists and frankly Aaron Ramsay was delivering them and Cantwell wasn't.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He looked utterly dreadful and out of his depth at the start of the season last year under Farke in my opinion.

That was the period where it was obvious he was having some sort of confidence crisis or personal problems, looked unfit and weaker and just way off the required standard for that level.

He had a period this season where he looked quite good, but I think Smith wanted to see goals and assists and frankly Aaron Ramsay was delivering them and Cantwell wasn't.

I had forgotten the start of the season Prem season admittedly. I recall now giving him the benefit of the doubt as the 4-3-3 was incredibly ill-suited to him and we were playing against very good sides (until he dropped out of the starting XI, Liverpool, City & Leicester). How things have proceeded in the ensuing time is quire bizarre at face value.

I'll be interested to see if a move gives him what he needs to kick on. Personally I think he's way too convinced of an external locus of control and his ceiling is roughly where he is.

6 hours ago, Erraticus said:

I can't help think that he represents a missed opportunity and that the Club and many fans failed him. 

Didn't Webber once say that he had no problem with Todd Cantwell but found his agent very difficult to deal with.

Reading between the lines and you can perhaps conclude that when we've tried to extend his deal their demands have been ludicrious.

About 5 years ago we had an 18/19 year old striker on the books who was scoring for fun for the U23s and tipped for a breakthrough. His agent forced a move away to Wolves in October 2017, a few months after Daniel Farke's first game in charge here.

He could have been a player to possibly breakthrough under Farke. 

Instead he's playing in the Finnish 2nd tier after being released by Northampton. Did the club fail him too, or did an agent whisper in his ear? Because that player was called Benny Ashley-Seal, and guess who his agent was? Yes, the same one that Cantwell has.

Interestingly the same agent represents Bukayo Saka who is struggling to arrange a new deal with Arsenal, his contract was set to expire this summer, Arsenal triggered a 12 month extension to push that back a year. Its said that his demands are ludicrous also, Arsenal keen not to be stuck with another Ozil situation by overpaying. He's a very good player but not genuine World Class.

The same agent was involved in Man City's illegal acquisition of his client Jaydon Sancho from Watford when he was a 14 year old, he got £200k in commission, a payment was not cleared by the FA and it was illegal for a player to have a contract with an agent before they are 16.

''An authorised agent must not charge or receive any fee or commission or payment or remuneration of any kind, either directly or indirectly, as a result of introducing a player who is under 16 or still in full-time education to a club''.

You are quick to bash the club, even your fellow fans, has it crossed your mind at any point that he could be being badly advised and surrounding himself with the wrong people? Like dodgy Nigerian football agents trading illegally in 14 year olds? 

Do you think that the 4 mates he took on a private jet with him on holiday in the summer would ever say to him "Todd mate calm down with the spending, haven't made it yet", or do you think they'd quite like him to take them on holiday again this summer?

Any excuse to bash your fellow fans though hey?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Didn't Webber once say that he had no problem with Todd Cantwell but found his agent very difficult to deal with.

Reading between the lines and you can perhaps conclude that when we've tried to extend his deal their demands have been ludicrious.

About 5 years ago we had an 18/19 year old striker on the books who was scoring for fun for the U23s and tipped for a breakthrough. His agent forced a move away to Wolves in October 2017, a few months after Daniel Farke's first game in charge here.

He could have been a player to possibly breakthrough under Farke. 

Instead he's playing in the Finnish 2nd tier after being released by Northampton. Did the club fail him too, or did an agent whisper in his ear?

Interestingly the same agent represents Bukayo Saka who is struggling to arrange a new deal with Arsenal, his contract was set to expire this summer, Arsenal triggered a 12 month extension to push that back a year. Its said that his demands are ludicrous also, Arsenal keen not to be stuck with another Ozil situation by overpaying. He's a good player but not World Class.

The same agent was involved in Man City's illegal acquisition of his client Jaydon Sancho from Watford when he was a 14 year old, he got £200k in commission, a payment was not cleared by the FA and it was illegal for a player to have a contract with an agent before they are 16.

''An authorised agent must not charge or receive any fee or commission or payment or remuneration of any kind, either directly or indirectly, as a result of introducing a player who is under 16 or still in full-time education to a club''.

You are quick to bash the club, even your fellow fans, has it crossed your mind at any point that he could be being badly advised and surrounding himself with the wrong people? Like dodgy Nigerian football agents trading illegally in 14 year olds? 

Do you think that the 4 mates he took on a private jet with him on holiday in the summer would ever say to him "Todd mate calm down with the spending, haven't made it yet", or do you think they'd quite like him to take them on holiday again this summer?

Any excuse to bash your fellow fans though hey?

Have you proof 😉 of all this story, TVB.

Just joking 🙃  I love when your overdrive kicks in. 😍 

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

Have you proof 😉 of all this story, TVB.

Just joking 🙃  I love when your overdrive kicks in. 😍 

Here's a list of players under his agent:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/elite-project-group-limited/beraterfirma/berater/5620

Worryingly you'll see another Norwich City player in the list.

Just noticed Josh Maja as well, his exit from Sunderland was controversial also wasn't it and his career has gone backwards, booed off the pitch on loan at Stoke and sent back to France.

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Here's a list of players under his agent:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/elite-project-group-limited/beraterfirma/berater/5620

Worryingly you'll see another Norwich City player in the list.

Just noticed Josh Maja as well, his exit from Sunderland was controversial also wasn't it and his career has gone backwards, booed off the pitch on loan at Stoke and sent back to France.

Remember  seeing Andy omo before on this agents list. He has some cracking players on the books. Agents, parasites!

Lavia ( wish he could replace Hayden).

Great player 👏 

Edited by Mengo

1 minute ago, CANARYKING said:

Hearing Wagner’s comments this morning I doubt we’ll ever see Todd in a City shirt again.

He's  for sure history now.

• Like 1

What will become of this forum when we cant discuss Todd.  We need a new scapegoat, to go along with Grant, Kenny, and Sarge (Sorry he is now fully redeemed) sub in Rashica.

Edited by Newtopia

50 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

What will become of this forum when we cant discuss Todd.  We need a new scapegoat, to go along with Grant, Kenny, and Sarge (Sorry he is now fully redeemed) sub in Rashica.

Norwich fans are pretty fair for longer than most, good luck to Toddy but the equilibrium on his efforts seem ok. 

Kenny to Rangers. 
Todd to Rangers. 
who is peddaling this tosh?

Todd hasn’t been up for playing for a while. Farke, Parker, Smith and now Wagner not interested but he is still stealing a living. Good on him for getting away with it. I wish I could in my job. 
Time for the rose glasses to be removed. Bye Todd, be another Club’s saviour or problem. 
harsh but fair. 

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Can I nominate Sinani?

Think it has obvious for a long time that Todd is not going to sign a new contract at Norwich.

My two pence and this is all wild speculation is that Todd was unhappy that his contract was not upgraded on promotion in 18/19 like some of his peers Aaron’s Godfrey etc.. This spurred him on in 19/20 and to be fair he was pretty good I do wonder then if his agent told him not to sign anything as any new contract (if one was offered) obviously makes getting a move away harder. Since then he has basically been trying to leave for the last 2 and half years. Sadly that was reflected in his performances and form. Plus it’s hard to rely on a player who is looking for the exit.

If you ask me Smith performed a miracle to get the performances he did out of him this season.

Good luck to him in the future and I personally would wish him success like I would any player who has done well for Norwich and Todd has performed really well for the club.

8 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Think it has obvious for a long time that Todd is not going to sign a new contract at Norwich.

My two pence and this is all wild speculation is that Todd was unhappy that his contract was not upgraded on promotion in 18/19 like some of his peers Aaron’s Godfrey etc.. This spurred him on in 19/20 and to be fair he was pretty good I do wonder then if his agent told him not to sign anything as any new contract (if one was offered) obviously makes getting a move away harder. Since then he has basically been trying to leave for the last 2 and half years. Sadly that was reflected in his performances and form. Plus it’s hard to rely on a player who is looking for the exit.

If you ask me Smith performed a miracle to get the performances he did out of him this season.

Good luck to him in the future and I personally would wish him success like I would any player who has done well for Norwich and Todd has performed really well for the club.

If Todd had played to the standard we know he could and put in great performances 

Trained harder and just concentrated on his football he would be moving to a PL team and be on a lot more money than he will be at rangers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, percy varco said:

harsh but fair. 

Gotta love it when a poster appraises their own comment...

I would say that it looks very much like no one wanted him last summer. He'd turned down a new contract and, well, he was meant to leave last summer for Bournemouth.

The issue is value, how much do you value a player who is 24 and has had some real high moments in the premier league and in two title winning seasons when he's not played to the same expectations for two seasons? Cantwell a couple of years ago after three solid seasons and still only 22-23 was probably worth £10-20m. Now... well, he could be worth that yet, but it's a gamble for anyone. Is he really going to be able to go and demand more wages anywhere than he is on here? It'll be especially bad if no one offers even £100k to sign him now rather than in the summer. 

5 hours ago, percy varco said:

Kenny to Rangers. 
Todd to Rangers. 
who is peddaling this tosh?

Todd hasn’t been up for playing for a while. Farke, Parker, Smith and now Wagner not interested but he is still stealing a living. Good on him for getting away with it. I wish I could in my job. 
Time for the rose glasses to be removed. Bye Todd, be another Club’s saviour or problem. 
harsh but fair. 

To be fair, the Rangers manager was one of those "peddaling this tosh"