Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Top two choices?

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Wagner's almost too obvious a shout, but if Webber wants evidence of sticking to a plan, it's a good one and should unify the fanbase.

Knutsen, Lieberknecht and Muscat would be my left-field calls.

Webber’s up sh1t creek and knows he needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat after a disastrous couple of years. Could be something in this.  I was always impressed by Wagner.  Not least by his post-match analysis, live on camera, pitch side at FCR, after Huddersfield destroyed us during their promo season.  Very impressive.

Edited by Kingston Yellow
  • Like 2

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Wagner isn't a terrible shout to be fair. 

Now odds on with a number of bookies - yes I know it’s only money being stashed on him, but went from not in betting, to 33/1, to 12/1, to 3/1 and to 4/6 rapidly

• Like 1

We don’t need a busted flush (ruling out the regular managerial casualties on their way down), nor do we need someone that encourages a dire style of football. I’m hoping for an eager manager on the way up. Worked well with Lambert and Farke. Robins wouldn’t be a bad choice and absolutely loved him as a player. 

37 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Think Wagner had a record 18 game run without a win at schalke 

He did, but Schalke were in serious financial trouble at the time - they've still not really remedied it.

• Like 1

Not really sure Wagner failed at Young Boys either. Seoane, another name touted, got them the title in 2021. Wagner took over, even got them through Champions League qualifying (they were in the Europa League the previous two seasons, not the Champions League!) and into the group stages of the Champions League - into a group with Manchester United, Villareal, and Atalanta, but the problem appeared to be that the fixture congestion from the early stages of the season did for them and they couldn't keep up, finishing third. 

Interestingly, FC Zürich, the team that won that season, were 8th out of 10 the season before. Then their title-winning coach, Andre Breitenreiter, left to join Hoffenheim in Germany (Lukas Rupp's old team).

• Like 1

O’Neill/ Bellamy, lots of love for the club, tons of experience and plenty of passion!!

Hasenhuttl would be the best alrounder he has a very good resume .

I also have a liking for robins and has had a successful managerial run to . 

No thank you to wagner been a bit tainted for my taste 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HB1989 said:

Knutsen, Hasenhuttl or Bielsa for me, closely followed by Nuno Espirito Santos.

Glad to hear you have added Nuno Espirito Santos, & I go with your other 3 also 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HB1989 said:

Knutsen, Hasenhuttl or Bielsa for me, closely followed by Nuno Espirito Santos.

Knutsen might not get a work permit as he’s only managed in Norway, although his 35 games in Europe might help. I’d be happy with any of those 4 

Knutsen first choice by a mile then 

Schumacher from Plymouth think he just signed a new contract but worth a ask ? 

Ryan Mason from Tottenham ?

for a laugh Steve McClaren just so i can hear him try to put on a Norfolk accent in his first Interview 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

We have seen a number of names bandied around, many with conflicting +/- opinions. I did wonder if we had any name that seemed to be on most ‘wishlists’, for want of a better word.

Ultimately we could get a leftfield appointment like Alex Neil/Daniel Farke who both worked out ok for a while.  I’m not even sure whether it’s better for a quick appointment or to think about it a longer while (but probably the former).

For what it’s worth, here’s my own top two (in no specific order), keeping it realistic: 

Hassenhutl, Robins.

I'd go all out for Keiran Mckenna, he's doing a brilliant job down the road. Definitely not Bruce, Alledyce or Martin

Whenever I think of a top two - in any football management scenario, I can't get past Parbs or Curbs.

One of those two. 

But if not then bring on Wagner (Wags)

😉

Edited by sonyc
Irony emoticon

Known names Robins then Wagner. Robins has done a great job at Coventry in ridiculous circumstances. Wouldn't mind if he could tempt Hamer to come with him either.

There is an Athletic article that has completely put me off Hassenhutl.  McKenna has started well and would be hilarious. The Knutsen ship has sadly sailed.

None are an absolute shoe in though.  Would love an idealistic left-field appointment. Anyone who has a plan based around attacking possession based football with an emphasis on youth and player development and the courage of their convictions within the context of the original Farke / Webber plan.  Ability to ride a horse and discuss topics in a surprisingly high voice entirely optional.

We might actually suit one of those younger more technical coaches with little direct managerial experience.  Neil for example was awesome until he got a transfer budget and started second guessing himself after Newcastle.  It would have been interesting to see how he would have worked with a Webber style DoF. 

Edited by Barham Blitz

11 hours ago, Mullet said:

I'd go all out for Keiran Mckenna, he's doing a brilliant job down the road. Definitely not Bruce, Alledyce or Martin

I’ve just twigged, this might be the first time I’ve seen Big Sam’s name mentioned. Let’s keep it like that.

EDIT: I don’t have two or even one name, weirdly I think Stuart Webber knows more about it than I do.

Edited by Nuff Said

7 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

Known names Robins then Wagner. Robins has done a great job at Coventry in ridiculous circumstances. Wouldn't mind if he could tempt Hamer to come with him either.

There is an Athletic article that has completely put me off Hassenhutl.  McKenna has started well and would be hilarious. The Knutsen ship has sadly sailed.

None are an absolute shoe in though.  Would love an idealistic left-field appointment. Anyone who has a plan based around attacking possession based football with an emphasis on youth and player development and the courage of their convictions within the context of the original Farke / Webber plan.  Ability to ride a horse and discuss topics in a surprisingly high voice entirely optional.

We might actually suit one of those younger more technical coaches with little direct managerial experience.  Neil for example was awesome until he got a transfer budget and started second guessing himself after Newcastle.  It would have been interesting to see how he would have worked with a Webber style DoF. 

Effectively FOUR seasons in the PL with Southampton would suggest he's actually very decent though?

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Effectively FOUR seasons in the PL with Southampton would suggest he's actually very decent though?

Hassenhutl always looks extremely stressed on the touchline, pacing up and down, hollering at players. I like his commitment and involvement, but wonder if he's really right for our squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Totally accept that - and I was keen at one point.  But he has arguably had a higher calibre of players to work with at Southampton even with player sales and the Athletic article suggested someone who had run out of ideas tactically and who had an inability to sustain positive relationships with his players or indeed the media, board and many fans.

His average league position was 15th and dropping - admittedly the grail for Norwich fans - but Southampton were always erratic and didn't really look like improving whilst Hasenhuttl seemingly lost his early vigour and was rather going through the motions by the end. 

Needs a break by the sounds of things.

Wagner or (ducks behind desk)... Dyche... I feel what Dyche did at Burnley was pretty spectacular on a shoe string budget and the wheels only came off once the new owners came in and they slacked in the recruitment department... they also lost Woods in that final season to a contract dispute and never replaced him... I still feel Dyche would have kept Burnley up last season. The footballs not brilliant but getting us into the prem and establishing us there would be a great target.

Edited by Michael Starr