Sign in to follow this  
Hobozilla

Burnley game

8 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’d strongly suspect an age divide with those that are bothered and want the world to stand still and those that are less fussed and want to just crack on. I also think that divide shows just what’ll happen to the institution that is the monarchy once the older generation moves on. I already think it’ll take a hit because so many of the supporters only really supported the Queen and don’t rate Charlie boy. 

It’s like Farke vs Smith all over again 😂

Not so sure. I’m firmly on the pro monarchy camp but I also think we should crack on. Which incidentally is also what I think the Queen would have wanted as well based on how she conducted herself. 

• Like 1

It's an historic event for the country whether people agree with the monarchy or even care, her successor will not engender the same feelings so the period of mourning and massive state funeral will not happen again. IMO this is the beginning of the end of the monarchy as we know it which in itself marks a place in history.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Haus said:

Last night's matches were played though 

Her death was only announced last night... pretty sure it was after 6pm... 

Just now, chicken said:

Her death was only announced last night... pretty sure it was after 6pm... 

Won't stop Man u trying to get their game replayed though😇. Quite satisfying to see that the error that the ref made in awarding the penalty was understandable and not clear and obvious.  Just sometimes VAR  makes me smile. 😇

6 hours ago, chicken said:

I don't care, don't make me.

I do care, don't stop me.

Simple really. 

If my response seemed stroppy, it wasn't meant to be. I just didn't understand what you were saying. 

If I do now understand; for people who were really affected by this, they could choose not to partake as a sign of respect. If Harry, the goalkeeper of our Sunday side, was affected as such he could choose not to play.

My issue is that the choice has been taken away. It doesn't matter if you care or not, you are going to have a period of mourning and they're making sure nothing detracts from all the sad.

• Like 1

Just now, Mason 47 said:

If my response seemed stroppy, it wasn't meant to be. I just didn't understand what you were saying. 

If I do now understand; for people who were really affected by this, they could choose not to partake as a sign of respect. If Harry, the goalkeeper of our Sunday side, was affected as such he could choose not to play.

My issue is that the choice has been taken away. It doesn't matter if you care or not, you are going to have a period of mourning and they're making sure nothing detracts from all the sad.

It still goes both ways.

You are saying you don't care so you want everything to go ahead for you and others can opt out.

The issue with that is that they are forced to miss out, not you. Even more so because the fixture is postponed, not cancelled. Which means they would miss it altogether.

This way, which tradition dictates at least, means people who want to have the chance to pay their respects and everyone will be able to go to the game.

I'm not massively vested either way but I at least respect that to many she meant a lot, like my grandparents, may they all RIP.

I was lucky enough to be at the 60th anniversary of the D-Day landings where the veterans flocked to see her. She stopped to speak to as many as she could given the time constraints.

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Have we lost the ability to endure a modicum of resilience?

It seems not. A 96 year-old lady had passed away and some people want everything to stop.

Whatever one thinks of the Queen, you'd have thought that the nation would be able to function more normally but it seems that there is very little resilience at all.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

It's an historic event for the country whether people agree with the monarchy or even care, her successor will not engender the same feelings so the period of mourning and massive state funeral will not happen again. IMO this is the beginning of the end of the monarchy as we know it which in itself marks a place in history.

It's certainly going to be an interesting time. If Charles doesn't get it right from the start it could all fall apart. He's not the brightest light bulb in the pack but I would guess his advisors will work it out for him. The question is, especially with a right wing Prime Minister, is he going to be able to keep his mouth shut? 

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

BBC saying Parliament will fall silent for 10 days. 

Don't expect much to happen until after the funeral.

Good job there's not much going on that needs sorting then.

1 hour ago, Haus said:
9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I had a tear in my eye at the news, what's wrong with that?

It just seems strange to me is all, crying for someone you never knew 

She was the mother of the nation - the figurehead at the head of the country that was always above the nonsense of politics and politicians so a very important part of the workings of the country, a fantastic ambassador for the UK around the world, a plainly lovely lady whose smile was always full and sincere, the knowledge and experience she had about her position was incredible, a hugely influential person who carried out her duties with 100% comittment ever since she was old enough to know what they were - and that is since 1938 when her father came to the throne - 84 years.  No retirement, always focussed, never let her guard down, always stayed in control through the terrible times in her personal and family life - and showed a kind of love and devotion in her duties to the country that can only be wondered at.

Look at the smile she had on her face in that photo of her with Liz Truss just two days ago, full of life and radiance as always. She was a huge figure at the head of the country and has been since before the second world war. I've never been a staunch royalist either, but in recent years, I've grown to appreciate her more and more - the historical aspects of her life and the monarchy are astonishing - and although, as you say, we never knew her personally, she was like a distant relative you knew all about and felt an affinity to.

She has seen it all and given her whole life to her duty and position, so yes, she was worth a tear or two. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 9

I think people just need to stop bitching and moaning either way. It is what it is, stop acting like children and accept that the games will be played at a later date 🙄🙄

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Good job there's not much going on that needs sorting then.

Tough ****.

As Badger said, a bit of resilience is required.

Whether you are a supporter of the Royal Family or not, a week or so to reflect on 70 years of public service, is a small price to pay, a very classy and extremely well liked person loved by the vast majority, throughout the world. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

It seems not. A 96 year-old lady had passed away and some people want everything to stop.

Whatever one thinks of the Queen, you'd have thought that the nation would be able to function more normally but it seems that there is very little resilience at all.

Such a shame too as she epitomised resilience, right to the last when it was clear on Tuesday from that photo with Liz Truss that the end was near to still greet the incoming and outgoing Prime Ministers. If only her country folk had the same steel. 

44 minutes ago, Badger said:

It's not a question of resilience, it's a question of respect. People are choosing to stop to mark the significance of the event, like the monarchy or not this is an historic event that has caused a global reaction, look at the response from some of the people around the world and then try to tell me this isn't significant and doesn't deserve a modicum of recognition. I don't believe there should be no sport before the funeral (horse racing may be different due to her connection with it) but to postpone one round of matches is certainly not an over reaction.

• Like 3

Like or not we have a monarchy, and one of the longest reigns of all time (over 70 years) has just ended with the death of the Queen. An historic event regardless of any personal feelings.

I am surprised people think that there would not be a period of mourning and major events cancelled. Bit frustrating in some ways, but was always going to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chicken said:

It still goes both ways.

You are saying you don't care so you want everything to go ahead for you and others can opt out.

The issue with that is that they are forced to miss out, not you. Even more so because the fixture is postponed, not cancelled. Which means they would miss it altogether.

This way, which tradition dictates at least, means people who want to have the chance to pay their respects and everyone will be able to go to the game.

I'm not massively vested either way but I at least respect that to many she meant a lot, like my grandparents, may they all RIP.

I was lucky enough to be at the 60th anniversary of the D-Day landings where the veterans flocked to see her. She stopped to speak to as many as she could given the time constraints.

To be fair Chicken, that was her role. That is why I was surprised that she didn't abdicate 10-15 years ago. For people to say she hobbled to events obviously uncomfortable etc was not fair on her as a human being. Who would want their 90 year old Granny having to stand and greet people for hours? Charles should have taken over the role IMO.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Whether you are a supporter of the Royal Family or not, a week or so to reflect on 70 years of public service, is a small price to pay, a very classy and extremely well liked person loved by the vast majority, throughout the world. 

Well said !

15 hours ago, Jsim1986 said:

Why cancel something that brings people joy ? I never understood this.

Norwich bring you joy?

• Haha 1

I've just taken the dogs out. All the shops are open. People are going about their lives as usual. Small children playing on the Common, lots of traffic as people go about their daily business. Everything is as normal, except that a football match has been cancelled. It is absolutely bizarre. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

I might be wrong, but there is possibly a generational disconnect with the Royal Family. I'm in my 40s and honestly, it's like someone I don't know whos nan has died. I'm sad for the family but I have not emotional attachment in the slightest. I think if you asked the lady herself if she would like normal working people who have arranged events hotel bookings, transport, booked halls/bands etc for parties to continue she'd support it. 

It's not happened in most people's lifetime and companies/organisations are scrambling for how to react, and some are overreacting in my view through fear of looking 'disrespectful'. Perhaps the day of the funeral is a different matter which may allow things to be reorganised, but life has to go on. Especially for younger people, I'm so glad the schools have remained open.

I've had a message from a friend who works for the postal service who's had an elderly couple come and kiss the side of his van where the insignia is. I honestly don't get it, but it's clear the Royal family hold some resonance with some people in the UK, and my general feeling is that those people are 60+ in age. That's just my straw poll, don't expect any evidence!

I'll give you what I have though (younger market) https://www.boohoo.com/ vs (older market) https://www.johnlewis.com/

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've just taken the dogs out. All the shops are open. People are going about their lives as usual. Small children playing on the Common, lots of traffic as people go about their daily business. Everything is as normal, except that a football match has been cancelled. It is absolutely bizarre. 

I think respect is the word I've seen a lot over the last 24 hours.

Don't do the thing you like when you could be mourning. 

24 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

I might be wrong, but there is possibly a generational disconnect with the Royal Family. I'm in my 40s and honestly, it's like someone I don't know whos nan has died. I'm sad for the family but I have not emotional attachment in the slightest. I think if you asked the lady herself if she would like normal working people who have arranged events hotel bookings, transport, booked halls/bands etc for parties to continue she'd support it. 

It's not happened in most people's lifetime and companies/organisations are scrambling for how to react, and some are overreacting in my view through fear of looking 'disrespectful'. Perhaps the day of the funeral is a different matter which may allow things to be reorganised, but life has to go on. Especially for younger people, I'm so glad the schools have remained open.

I've had a message from a friend who works for the postal service who's had an elderly couple come and kiss the side of his van where the insignia is. I honestly don't get it, but it's clear the Royal family hold some resonance with some people in the UK, and my general feeling is that those people are 60+ in age. That's just my straw poll, don't expect any evidence!

I'll give you what I have though (younger market) https://www.boohoo.com/ vs (older market) https://www.johnlewis.com/

60+ or 50+ is fairly indicative of our fanbase, well at least those who bother to go to matches.

Interesting to read that sport continued as normal in 1952 after the last monarch passed away. It does feel as time has gone on there is a very performative aspect to some of this.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

60+ or 50+ is fairly indicative of our fanbase, well at least those who bother to go to matches.

Not where I sit and that is in the River End. In fact the average age of the people in my row and the two above and below is probably 30, couple of older fellas in there but not many, much more kids with parents. Granted we don't travel to away games but that really stacks up cost wise when you're the parent paying for the lot. 

I had planned to go over and see the father in law to watch the game tonight (who's also miffed RE cancellation and he's in his 70s), but out of 'respect' I will sit at home and do nothing.