Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Would you want Sir Jim Ratcliffe as owner of Norwich City?

A simple question. You are trustees of Norwich City. 

Sir Jim Ratcliffe recently made a belated £4.25bn total bid for Chelsea. The £2.5bn asking price requested by Corporate Finance sellers the Raine Group, plus a further promised £1.75bn for Stadium upgrade and player investment. 

Sir Jim Ratcliffe is a Manchester United fan. It is a little eyebrow-raising that he made his bid - after visiting the Chelsea training ground with a view to making an offer a few years ago - after the stated deadline. It might be a ‘stalking horse’ type bid to awaken interest in his first love Manchester United and to seed further unrest there. 

Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s Ineos Chemicals Group recently took over the Sky Cycling Team and Sir Ben Ainslie’s America’s Cup Yachting Team. Investment is strong and consistent. Plans are at least mid-term. He has stated his open desire to invest in British businesses, British sport and British ownership. 

Despite some thoughts to the contrary, American investors and Sports Franchise owners still see considerable scope for growth in leveraging Premier League Football club brands. The money is unlikely to fall out of the market any time soon it would appear. 

So would he be suitable for you? Wealthy, British and with a love of football and sport. A huge desire to win, plus a successful business that likes to associate with high level sporting success. 

Does he fit your criteria for a suitable owner for Norwich City?

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Thanks 1

Yes.

Someone with serious cash, couldn't care less if they are British or not as long as they aren't dodgy.

Anyone who would stop us being such a soft touch and meek football club.

• Like 1

I'd have him as an owner - it's not like he would be doing it to make money!

• Like 1

Right now I’d take Paula Radcliffe let alone Jim Ratcliffe. Tax exiles not my favourite British billionaires but I’d overlook that one

• Haha 2

Yes. Having owners that neither invest and attract investment are superfluous to a football clubs needs and supporters. 

However, I'm sure Jim would fail Delia's 'designed to fail' criteria.

Does he already own OGC Nice? Great place to twin with! Sure if I'm the trustee... And the money is right and he is willing to build a Delia statue..... Sounds good to me.   

I’m sure it won’t be long before some of the usual suspects come along to explain in great detail how and why it would be bad for the Club for someone like this to take over and how we’re so much better off being a provincial self-funding family club with owners who are supporters and who have our best interests at heart.

• Haha 2

Only if he moved into a bijou flat above a shop on Magdalen Street (within the inner ring-road)....Showing loyalty and true intent.....

Yeah, pretty sound example. The obvious problem being that he would have no interest in NCFC! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

With @Son Ova Gunn on this one, I'm not a fan of tax-evading UK billionaires in the slightest, but I suppose if he were to invest hard in our club, he is paying it back differently.

12 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Sir Jim Ratcliffe recently made a belated £4.25bn total bid for Chelsea. The £2.5bn asking price requested by Corporate Finance sellers the Raine Group, plus a further promised £1.75bn for Stadium upgrade and player investment. 

Sir Jim Ratcliffe is a Manchester United fan. It is a little eyebrow-raising that he made his bid - after visiting the Chelsea training ground with a view to making an offer a few years ago - after the stated deadline. It might be a ‘stalking horse’ type bid to awaken interest in his first love Manchester United and to seed further unrest there. 

Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s Ineos Chemicals Group recently took over the Sky Cycling Team and Sir Ben Ainslie’s America’s Cup Yachting Team. Investment is strong and consistent. Plans are at least mid-term. He has stated his open desire to invest in British businesses, British sport and British ownership. 

Despite some thoughts to the contrary, American investors and Sports Franchise owners still see considerable scope for growth in leveraging Premier League Football club brands. The money is unlikely to fall out of the market any time soon it would appear. 

So would he be suitable for you? Wealthy, British and with a love of football and sport. A huge desire to win, plus a successful business that likes to associate with high level sporting success. 

Does he fit your criteria for a suitable owner for Norwich City?

Parma 

It would entirely depend what his business, footballing and community plan was. Just for one example, would he be prepared to go as far or even beyond the Crouch Report proposals, especially on fan participation in the running of the club. Merely being rather rich doesn't take his case very far.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone should email him, we’d be a good project to take on.  Definitely not a fan of these billionaires either, and of course it is absolutely no guarantee of any sort of success.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

I'd have Kevin Ratcliffe to be fair. Yes of course we would, but a mute point really as he'd have no interest in buying us and Delia wouldn't sell

7 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I’m sure it won’t be long before some of the usual suspects come along to explain in great detail how and why it would be bad for the Club for someone like this to take over and how we’re so much better off being a provincial self-funding family club with owners who are supporters and who have our best interests at heart.

Someone purple with rage who will badger you and say if it's not brock don't fix it an' like a chicken cry fowl an' accuse you of hoggin' the limelight....Get ma drift?.....Oh look, and we're off.....

Edited by Mello Yello
Oh look, and we're off.....
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Despite some thoughts to the contrary, American investors and Sports Franchise owners still see considerable scope for growth in leveraging Premier League Football club brands. 

Parma 

This simply cannot be true Parma. For too many intellectual heavyweights will tell you that “investors” only want an immediate return and or want to leverage the clubs cash in order to finance the exit strategy of the incumbent . I’ve even seen it backed up because THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED AT BURNLEY . 

Of course ,it could be argued that very wealthy individuals that have already made significant sums “invest” for many other reasons . As we have just seen at Newcastle , and across the NFL. The global appeal of the Premier League appears lost on many . And the promised land , with it’s potential future broadcasting platforms , is of no interest . 

A very good post 👍

Andy Goldstein of TalkSport recently sent a tweet to Elon Musk asking him to buy Manchester United from the Glazers, I guess if you don't ask you don't get. So any of you people who are on Twitter, send old Sir Jim Radcliffe a tweet asking (BEGGING) him if he'd kindly buy our football club....We can dream 🙏

18 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Does he already own OGC Nice? Great place to twin with! Sure if I'm the trustee... And the money is right and he is willing to build a Delia statue..... Sounds good to me.   

He does own Nice, and considering that two clubs with the same ownership can't compete in the same competition, it seemed curious that he was launching a bid for Chelsea as it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they could end up in the same European competition. Unless of course he is/was planning to relinquish control of Nice or use some loophole like Red Bull.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

This simply cannot be true Parma. For too many intellectual heavyweights will tell you that “investors” only want an immediate return and or want to leverage the clubs cash in order to finance the exit strategy of the incumbent . I’ve even seen it backed up because THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED AT BURNLEY . 

Of course ,it could be argued that very wealthy individuals that have already made significant sums “invest” for many other reasons . As we have just seen at Newcastle , and across the NFL. The global appeal of the Premier League appears lost on many . And the promised land , with it’s potential future broadcasting platforms , is of no interest . 

A very good post 👍

For those interested - and rightly or wrongly - they compare value-cost-leverage against American Football-Baseball-Ice Hockey Franchises. There is a particular focus on dollars-per-consumer value, for which the common current ‘golden rule’ is $3. 

Premier League Football Clubs still do not commercially leverage their social media reach and data to the same levels as American Sport. Equally the Global penetration that major Sports Clubs enjoy can be leveraged far beyond their own sports and the products that have typically been associated with them. 

It is also worth remembering that even fairly modest single-digit growth in the American single market alone can generate significant opportunities. It is wise not to limit thoughts of ‘value’ to typically British-minded optics.

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

6 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

A very good post 👍

Sorry, I think that you are wrong in this GPD. Just a google search but it says that Radcliffe is worth $15+ billion, I don't think that he would need to make a profit from purchasing a football club and wouldn't therefore. fit into the category of an "investor owner." He would be a totally different type of owner to the Burnley ones.

He is one of the relatively rare individual who can afford to have a football club as a hobby and spend a few hundred million without having to worry about it. It would be great if he were interested. I fear Parma might be teasing, but if there were any possibility...

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Sorry, I think that you are wrong in this GPD. Just a google search but it says that Radcliffe is worth $15+ billion, I don't think that he would need to make a profit from purchasing a football club and wouldn't therefore. fit into the category of an "investor owner." He would be a totally different type of owner to the Burnley ones.

He is one of the relatively rare individual who can afford to have a football club as a hobby and spend a few hundred million without having to worry about it. It would be great if he were interested. I fear Parma might be teasing, but if there were any possibility...

Badger - I think you have either completely missed my point , or you have had a very good lunch. 
I am saying that not all investors need a return, but there are those saying that all investors want a quick return. Which I assume it what you are saying too. 

27 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Only if he moved into a bijou flat above a shop on Magdalen Street (within the inner ring-road)....Showing loyalty and true intent.....

Lived in a flat in Magdalen Street above my business many moons ago

Bad then

Even worse now

22 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'd have Kevin Ratcliffe to be fair. Yes of course we would, but a mute point really as he'd have no interest in buying us and Delia wouldn't sell

MOOT point. Mute means dumb, unable to speak. Moot means to raise something for discussion, debatable or of little practical importance.

Yours pedantically.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Badger - I think you have either completely missed my point , or you have had a very good lunch. 
I am saying that not all investors need a return, but there are those saying that all investors want a quick return. Which I assume it what you are saying too. 

No -  I'm saying that he is wealthy enough not to need a return at all - he doesn't have to worry about spending a few hundred million! I think that this is rare, so if we can get him, grab him.

Just now, daly said:

Lived in a flat in Magdalen Street above my business many moons ago

Bad then

Even worse now

Surely not?......Strange smells and odours emitting from some open windows....What's not to like?.....

Jim Ratcliffe is a tax avoiding, union-busting, Brexit-cheering serial polluter who supports Man Utd. He takes advantage of any available legal loopholes to increase his already enormous wealth still further at expense of those who work for him. Yes, he’s not a leader of a homophobic, murdering regime from the Middle Ages but just having a big bank balance doesn’t qualify him to own our club. Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 7