cambridgeshire canary

Cantwell set to go on loan at Bournmouth?

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

This is a strange one as well if the club really has a deal with Olympiacos. Suggests there might be a solid option to buy. I just get the feeling now, that the club wants to get shot of him and aren't too concerned where it is and if he likes it or not.

I agree, I can't see why he'd want a short term loan abroad.

He'd probably love it in Flisvos or even Glyfada. Actually, make that - especially - Glyfada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Makes sense if he's only off on loan, while Olympicacos might have the lure of European football but end of the day moving to a foreign country just for a loan move while you have a choice to also stay in this country you'd probably prefer to stay here/In the UK

Id rather 3 months in Greece than 3 months in Bournemouth tbh,

• Like 2

It’s about time Cantwell got some balls and start acting like a man not a baby end of

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apologies if it’s been said already but perhaps Todd is being used as bait in a deal to get Billing in the Summer - should  Bournemouth fail to get promotion? 

1 minute ago, Taylor324 said:

Apologies if it’s been said already but perhaps Todd is being used as bait in a deal to get Billing in the Summer - should  Bournemouth fail to get promotion? 

No thanks we turned that Donkey down once dont need to do it again.

5 minutes ago, Taylor324 said:

Billing.... He is a 10/10 player .... Every 2 months.... The rest of the time you are lucky to get 5/10. 

3 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Billing.... He is a 10/10 player .... Every 2 months.... The rest of the time you are lucky to get 5/10. 

We have a few of them!

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Problem is, two managers, both with pedigree of improving young players, haven't been able to do that. 

Cantwell didn't improve under Farke?

From where I'm standing, he went from a loan to the Dutch 2nd division to a relatively useful option off the bench in the Championship through to one of our best players in the PL and a standout option in the Champ following relegation.

Edited by kirku
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, kirku said:

Cantwell didn't improve under Farke?

From where I'm standing, he went from a loan to the Dutch 2nd division to a relatively useful option off the bench in the Championship through to one of our best players in the PL and a standout option in the Champ following relegation.

Sorry, that wasn't my point. The post I quoted was saying how it's the managers job to get the best out of Cantwell. This season neither Farke or Smith have been able to do that, suggesting it's probably not just a manager fault - especially since they both have good records with youth.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Sorry, that wasn't my point. The post I quoted was saying how it's the managers job to get the best out of Cantwell. This season neither Farke or Smith have been able to do that, suggesting it's probably not just a manager fault - especially since they both have good records with youth.

Agree that, sadly, this season he's been unmanageable. I hope a move works out well for him and he can get back to his best. It seems that can't or won't happen for City, which is a great shame.

• Like 1

Passed a medical at Bournemouth. Loan with option to buy if Bournemouth promoted.

(Source: The Athletic)

Bournemouth have reached an agreement to sign Todd Cantwell on loan from Norwich City with an option to buy as they line up a series of targets for transfer deadline day.

Norwich have allowed Cantwell, 23, to join Bournemouth after falling out of favour this season at Carrow Road. The midfielder, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has his medical at lunchtime today and will join permanently on a long-term contract if they are promoted. Olympiakos are still interested in a loan too but don’t have an agreement with Norwich.

Edited by Bovril

What a remarkable end to Todd’s chapter at Norwich.

Never mind…

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

This is a strange one as well if the club really has a deal with Olympiacos. Suggests there might be a solid option to buy. I just get the feeling now, that the club wants to get shot of him and aren't too concerned where it is and if he likes it or not.

I agree, I can't see why he'd want a short term loan abroad.

Really??

If you were offered the choice between spending the next 4/5 months in Bournemouth or Greece, which would you go for?

I'd have thought Greece was a non-brainer for a host of reasons and in Todd's case with his loan season in Holland really being the launchpad for his Norwich career I would have thought would have added to the attraction, as opposed to Bournemouth which looks like a  big backward step for someone with his ability.

Quite the opposite for me...

Bournemouth is a decent place to live in the UK. No settling in period (in terms of food/housing/culture/language etc.) needed. He's joining a team with a very strong chance of getting promoted who are backed with decent money so likely decent wages.

I'd also say at this point there's a far greater chance than 50/50 that Norwich and Bournemouth will be switching positions next year. It's a great move for him and a lucky opportunity that has arisen given what has transpired this year. I also feel upper Champ/lower Prem is his natural level. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Passed a medical at Bournemouth. Loan with option to buy if Bournemouth promoted.

(Source: The Athletic)

Bournemouth have reached an agreement to sign Todd Cantwell on loan from Norwich City with an option to buy as they line up a series of targets for transfer deadline day.

Norwich have allowed Cantwell, 23, to join Bournemouth after falling out of favour this season at Carrow Road. The midfielder, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has his medical at lunchtime today and will join permanently on a long-term contract if they are promoted. Olympiakos are still interested in a loan too but don’t have an agreement with Norwich.

Breaking news soon then after Dave reads that on here. 

To be fair, you can say with Bournemouth and Olympiakos being top sides in their leagues, their brand of front-foot play will suit him best. Let's hope that option to buy is set at a high level and he does well.

So that is that. Loan to be sold or contract to run out. What a shame to leave in such a way. I hope his agent is happy with the way he has handled this.

Looks like the club - or to be more precise Webber - has been strong and not given in to the demands of the agent/player over the last couple of years. Good for them, the principle of no one player being bigger than the club has prevailed. He may be a local lad, but he is also a professional footballer and all that entails. 

I trust he can go on and have a good career for himself now......but could do well to consider getting a different agent.

Maybe..like the Murphys, he's just not as good as his initial promise suggested. Maybe he'll now go on to have a career more akin to an Alex Pritchard than a Maddision, bouncing around between low premier clubs- championship clubs and an unremarkable career will have petered out within about 5 yrs

Deeply unsatisfying.  As far as I can tell pretty much all the reasons are speculation and may be close or wide of the mark, but the fact that something has gone so wrong that a loan with option to purchase is the answer does tend to imply it's irreconcilable... If it were just form, it would have been a plain loan imo, to get him back on track.

I'd really like to know what actually went wrong here and whether it was Cantwell, someone at the club or both that caused the relationship to break down.  It's easy to speculate that it's Todd's fault, but that may not actually be the case.

Should be one of the first names on the team sheet (when playing as we know he can), so this doesn't help us in the slightest.

41 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Really??

If you were offered the choice between spending the next 4/5 months in Bournemouth or Greece, which would you go for?

I'd have thought Greece was a non-brainer for a host of reasons and in Todd's case with his loan season in Holland really being the launchpad for his Norwich career I would have thought would have added to the attraction, as opposed to Bournemouth which looks like a  big backward step for someone with his ability.

Tbf...just down the road from Bournemouth in Sandbanks id one of the more salubrious areas to live in England

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So that is that. Loan to be sold or contract to run out. What a shame to leave in such a way. I hope his agent is happy with the way he has handled this.

Looks like the club - or to be more precise Webber - has been strong and not given in to the demands of the agent/player over the last couple of years. Good for them, the principle of no one player being bigger than the club has prevailed. He may be a local lad, but he is also a professional footballer and all that entails. 

I trust he can go on and have a good career for himself now......but could do well to consider getting a different agent.

We have a year's option on his contract so it won't run out (not for quite a while anyway).

They wouldn't offer to buy him in the Summer if he was out of contract would they, they could have him for a signing-on fee only if that was the case.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Tbf...just down the road from Bournemouth in Sandbanks id one of the more salubrious areas to live in England

He can go and sit round Arry's and chat football  🙂

Actually, not sure if Todd could afford a house on Sandbanks.............   

4 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

The likes of Gary Cahill probably live there..maybe he can sleep on his couch?!?

12 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Deeply unsatisfying.  As far as I can tell pretty much all the reasons are speculation and may be close or wide of the mark, but the fact that something has gone so wrong that a loan with option to purchase is the answer does tend to imply it's irreconcilable... If it were just form, it would have been a plain loan imo, to get him back on track.

I'd really like to know what actually went wrong here and whether it was Cantwell, someone at the club or both that caused the relationship to break down.  It's easy to speculate that it's Todd's fault, but that may not actually be the case.

Should be one of the first names on the team sheet (when playing as we know he can), so this doesn't help us in the slightest.

Exactly the Club are the biggest losers in this ,

a young english player who played well in the champs and PL we should be banking 20 mil plus 

or even better he could of helped up stay up this season 

instead we are sending him out on loan with maybe a fee at the end if bournemouth go up 

Thats a big knock when we expecting big money for any of our youngsters 

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The likes of Gary Cahill probably live there..maybe he can sleep on his couch?!?

Does Cahill live there ?

I genuinely have no idea but I thought when it was being discussed about us signing him, somebody was saying that he would have an easier commute to Bournemouth - not that he lived in the area. 

6 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

he can park his Lambo outside a cafe and pretend he lives in sandbanks !!

• Haha 1

Couldn't care less where he ends up, just as long as he's out of our club.

And to be honest, it's quite hilarious that someone with an ego like Todd Cantwell, who thinks he is bigger than the club, has ended up at f**king Bournemouth 😂

• Like 1

Is there actually definitive evidence that ego is the issue here?  I know there is a lot of speculation, but is any of it actually based of anything concrete... or just because of a few ambiguous pictures or comments that could be taken either way on social media?