cambridgeshire canary

Cantwell set to go on loan at Bournmouth?

58 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'll make you a deal  - you stop lying and I'll stop pointing it out!

Sounds fair to me, but it won't catch on with some posters...

Very frustrating that it has come to this. A player with obvious talent but for whatever reason we have not been able to benefit from that this season and now definitely won't do but also not getting in cash to help us strengthen here and now and with his ultimate value far less than what we could have once got for him. From where i'm sitting this situation (whatever it is) seems to have been a mess for pretty much the entirety of this season but perhaps there was no easy answer.

In terms of what he potentially offers on the pitch its a big loss. In terms of what he's actually offered this season its not as he's looked weak, has tried too hard at times and his habit of continually falling over looking for free kicks and losing possession has wound me up when he's played. 

2 hours ago, AJ said:

I'm not really sure what Cantwell has to gain if that is true, because why would any side want to spend money on him right now? A loan yes, but even championship clubs would be looking at his situation and weighing it up as a big risk to sign permanently. I think we've got a year option on him so he won't be going anywhere until next summer anyway

I'd imagine he believed that he could get a move to a PL club, considering he's a young English talent who scored 6 goals in the Prem - available at a discounted price and previously linked with Leeds etc.

There may be another reason but:

- Todd tried to leave last season.

- it looks very similar to the Josh Maja situation on the Sunderland 'till I die series. Todd and Josh have the same agents. 

- Both Farke and Smith have opted not to play him. Any personal issues with Farke would've been forgotten about when Smith came in.

23 hours ago, Sjb said:

Better than going to relegation rival. 

I find that strange that we wouldn’t let him go to another premier league club. Either we think he’s good enough, in which case play him. Or we don’t think he’s at the right standard (or mindset) in which case, what’s the harm? Surely we’re keen to see if he can cut it in the prem 

Wasted potential. That's it for him now. Horse has bolted. Good Upper Championship / lower Prem player from now on. The new Andrew Surman, even following his footsteps literally.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

If this is true then as much as the falling out is an irritant (why fall out with a manager in Farke who had such a record of bringing youth through - Maddison, Aarons, Buendia to an extent, Godfrey, Lewis, Idah eventually, Cantwell and as a last one, Omobamidele in four years?) then I'll say I hope this clears his head and gets him back playing football again.

He may, however, want to consider why many of us aren't exactly cheering though unlike when the other sold parties went. We didn't like it when Maddison/Godfrey/Buendia/Lewis etc. were sold, but accepted they wanted to improve their careers, and we needed to improve our cashflow (in Lewis's case, we'd arguably got a better left-back in for less cash in Giannoulis, and in Godfrey's case we had a more "finished" centre-half in Gibson coming in too). But we were generally very appreciative of their efforts and professionalism during their time with us.

In Cantwell's case, it'll be more a case of "some lovely moments on the ball, but his attitude may be a little questionable", but without the elevated moments of class from, say, Buendia that counterbalance the occasional petulance.

Well put TGS 👍

The fact he is a local lad and has been an academy player from under 10 level all the way through to the first team as well, just makes the whole attitude / lack of professionalism a tad more sour tasting doesn't it?

We could forgive a player like Buendia wanting away after coming here from abroad with no prior ties to Norwich. DITTO Godfrey and Lewis etc, to a lesser extent, who were brought in a youth prospects from the likes of York / Luton as the ages of 17-18 I believe. 

And as you say, all of these players have pretty much objectively moved on to better things, or at least the move appeared so at the time. You could understand why each of our prospects wanted to make their move, and when they did.

However for Cantwell, can we really understand why he wants to leave right now? Is he moving on to better things, or better money? No and no. So why wouldn't he want to stay and fight back to where he was? We will probably never know the details but hard to see an answer where he isn't shouldering a large amount of the blame (even taking stock of his personal issues which I felt Farke was tellingly unsympathetic of). 

This is the first case in recent years of one of our 'golden' players unravelling to the extent their value nearly fully erodes, honestly I don't think we will get more than £7 mil for him at this point. Even that would be a good price.

Its a sad state of affairs that this has happened to him as he must represent a generational talent, having came all the way from u-10s level. All the makings to be a club legend, all the ability on the pitch as well make no mistake, but just not the right head on those shoulders. 

I now don't expect to see him in a Norwich shirt again and can honestly see him getting an awful reception at Carrow Road next time he visits. Particularly if he is up to speed in a few weeks and playing regularly and well for his new team... however he certainly has my sympathies if he wallows around at championship level struggling to find any kind of form.

What a shame the whole situation is!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Well put TGS 👍

The fact he is a local lad and has been an academy player from under 10 level all the way through to the first team as well, just makes the whole attitude / lack of professionalism a tad more sour tasting doesn't it?

We could forgive a player like Buendia wanting away after coming here from abroad with no prior ties to Norwich. DITTO Godfrey and Lewis etc, to a lesser extent, who were brought in a youth prospects from the likes of York / Luton as the ages of 17-18 I believe. 

And as you say, all of these players have pretty much objectively moved on to better things, or at least the move appeared so at the time. You could understand why each of our prospects wanted to make their move, and when they did.

However for Cantwell, can we really understand why he wants to leave right now? Is he moving on to better things, or better money? No and no. So why wouldn't he want to stay and fight back to where he was? We will probably never know the details but hard to see an answer where he isn't shouldering a large amount of the blame (even taking stock of his personal issues which I felt Farke was tellingly unsympathetic of). 

This is the first case in recent years of one of our 'golden' players unravelling to the extent their value nearly fully erodes, honestly I don't think we will get more than £7 mil for him at this point. Even that would be a good price.

Its a sad state of affairs that this has happened to him as he must represent a generational talent, having came all the way from u-10s level. All the makings to be a club legend, all the ability on the pitch as well make no mistake, but just not the right head on those shoulders. 

I now don't expect to see him in a Norwich shirt again and can honestly see him getting an awful reception at Carrow Road next time he visits. Particularly if he is up to speed in a few weeks and playing regularly and well for his new team... however he certainly has my sympathies if he wallows around at championship level struggling to find any kind of form.

A very fair set of comments, I'm going to add something a little controversial here in response to the bit in bold, and it's controversial as I will admit at this juncture I have absolutely no idea what the personal issues are.

I will say, as a comparison, there was an interesting one back in the early days of Audley Harrison's professional boxing career when he pulled out of a fight against a real "trial horse" sort of opponent due to a death in his family, I think it was a grandparent, but cannot remember the exact facts. However I did state the view that as sympathetic as I am to such a family loss, it may be indicative of a mentality that's not quite suited to the top tiers of professional boxing which is literally fighting adversity at all turns.

Re. the bit in bold (and again, I thoroughly admit this is all hypothesis and conjecture at my end), it sounds like Farke - a manager who is as proven a promoter of young talent I could think of - has tried laying the law down a little, and Todd has struggled to react to it as his mindset is not quite what's needed. There is an argument that Farke may have needed a slightly different approach for Todd, but my inclination is that Todd needed to listen more to Farke, who's proven for getting promising youngsters along.

Either way, as you rightly said at the end, it's a sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

a bit disappointed, this feels like a waste.  Its the job of the manager to motivate and get people playing well.  Theres a talent there.......

11 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Well put TGS 👍

i agree 

But i do think someone Todd or Club needs to clear this up 

we had a player who has done well in the PL and Championship Before

is english ,was quoted by some as a 20/30 million player i think even webber said something like that ?

"no youngster would leave for less " ? ( or something like that )

to now being loaned out ?  Something needs looking at the club or player ? 

Norwich do not loan out a good young players who IF playing to standards of before would of been a asset this season

He is no good to us if not playing or training but i do believe we need to address why this is the case 

was it a fall out ? was it a Rejected bid ? 

IF he was to come out and say i have had some serious problems in personal life  but i love the club and want to stay i am sure most if not all would say Sorry to hear this todd take some time out get yourself sorted out and sign a contract and stay 

Very strange 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Not at all - just pointing out that you say things and then deny it later. 

The thing is, that you continue to post the first thing that comes into your head and then deny it later and then try to wriggle out of it with tortuous justifications - it's almost as if you were Boris Johnson!

Spot the difference

January post:

August posts:

image.thumb.png.2289427afd76780415f3df02ab7a057f.png

People change views. as players values change too.

5 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i agree 

is english ,was quoted by some as a 20/30 million player i think even webber said something like that ?

Norwich do not loan out a good young players who IF playing to standards of before would of been a asset this season

He is no good to us if not playing or training but i do believe we need to address why this is the case 

IF he was to come out and say i have had some serious problems in personal life  but i love the club and want to stay i am sure most if not all would say Sorry to hear this todd take some time out get yourself sorted out and sign a contract and stay 

Very strange 

You've basically just summed up why I think mercenary advisers are the underlying crux of all this.

8 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i agree 

Very strange 

I'd love to know but don't think we ever will sadly!

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I'll make you a deal  - you stop lying and I'll stop pointing it out!

People change views & players valuations change. I will contradict views i held years go... If you want to try and make posters look silly you crack on.

It's a forum and not that important to be honest.

No one NOW thinks that taking £30m now for Cantwell would show a lack of ambition. I am correct.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

The agent's role in all this must have something to do with the saga. Webber is a good operator and won't be pushed around - but this agent - as with the Maja transfer saga at Sunderland (same agent) - has a habit of putting a spanner in the works and causing upset. Handled well by the agent, with allowing the club to progress his client gradually, Todd could have stayed and developed at CR over the last two years with no problems, got a big move and everyone is happy, but with an agent pushing, pushing - always pushing - for more, all it does is prolong the uncertainty.  The contract talks last time took way too long - way too long - and because it was a shortish contract in the end, it has had the  knock on effect that only just a year in, the player is already under the spotlight of will he renew, will we sell him and all the unsettling of that does to a player.  I wouldn't mind betting the agent has been a huge part of the problem.

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The agent's role in all this must have something to do with the saga. Webber is a good operator and won't be pushed around - but this agent - as with the Maja transfer saga at Sunderland (same agent) - has a habit of putting a spanner in the works and causing upset. Handled well by the agent, with allowing the club to progress his client gradually, Todd could have stayed and developed at CR over the last two years with no problems, got a big move and everyone is happy, but with an agent pushing, pushing - always pushing - for more, all it does is prolong the uncertainty.  The contract talks last time took way too long - way too long - and because it was a shortish contract in the end, it has had the  knock on effect that only just a year in, the player is already under the spotlight of will he renew, will we sell him and all the unsettling of that does to a player.  I wouldn't mind betting the agent has been a huge part of the problem.

I don't not know much about Agents 

but if i wanted to stay somewhere bad enough i would change my agent 

i think it comes with age but Happiness is far more important than a extra 5 k /10k a week say when you are earning the big sums these players are on 

i know different era but hucks was right he found a place he loved and stayed he could of earned more and his agent more if he had gone to another club i am sure 

Just now, norfolkngood said:

i think it comes with age but Happiness is far more important than a extra 5 k /10k a week say when you are earning the big sums these players are on 

i know different era but hucks was right he found a place he loved and stayed he could of earned more and his agent more if he had gone to another club i am sure

The problem imo is that these players are young and don't have the experience of how agents are that older players like Hucks had when he stood his ground against his agent. 

• Like 1

I agree that the lack of a long term contract in 2019 when everyone else seemed to sign one through to 2023 and 2024 started the uncertainty. As soon as supporters see that they start to question commitment. He had not really made the breakthrough then - was actually taking a lot of flak for not being Buendia in the games when Emi was injured/suspended. So did we not offer him the long contract then? Is that the source of the problem - the club didn't believe enough in him? 

Certainly his form in 19-20 was a surprise. As was his reaction on the pitch after relegation and then again at the start of the 20-21 season. We don't know what was said by either party, what promises were made, what contracts were then offered. 

I don't like the oblique references to "personal matters" by which the club make excuses. It smacks of lazy communication and is a bit Boris - we are supposed to just accept it and move on.

Todd Cantwell is a very talented footballer. When he is interested and fit, we don't have anyone like him. He's not a young player anymore and should be contributing at the top of his game - only he will know why that isn't happening after he's been at the club for so long.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I don't know if Cantwell's agent is the problem, but he or she is then that means Cantwell is also partly to blame. As to Huckerby, if I remember correctly his agent publicly advised him not to make his loan move permanent.

1 hour ago, Michael Starr said:

Wasted potential. That's it for him now. Horse has bolted. Good Upper Championship / lower Prem player from now on. The new Andrew Surman, even following his footsteps literally.

Not sure what you have against Surman, he left us and got promoted back to the PL where he was a regular player for 5 of his 6 seasons at Bournemouth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ash.m87 said:

I find that strange that we wouldn’t let him go to another premier league club. Either we think he’s good enough, in which case play him. Or we don’t think he’s at the right standard (or mindset) in which case, what’s the harm? Surely we’re keen to see if he can cut it in the prem 

We cant let him go to an EPL club if they dont want him! 

My understanding no EPL club has approached us for him. 

39 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

People change views & players valuations change. I will contradict views i held years go... If you want to try and make posters look silly you crack on.

It's a forum and not that important to be honest.

I have no problem at all with people changing their mind.

The "debate" only arose because I posted something which you said that I had made up, which clearly I hadn't. It was part of a wider debate about the wisdom of keeping "unhappy players." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haus said:

a bit disappointed, this feels like a waste.  Its the job of the manager to motivate and get people playing well.  Theres a talent there.......

Problem is, two managers, both with pedigree of improving young players, haven't been able to do that. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

I have no problem at all with people changing their mind.

The "debate" only arose because I posted something which you said that I had made up, which clearly I hadn't. It was part of a wider debate about the wisdom of keeping "unhappy players." 

Fair enough.. I have no desire to get in a **** for tat with you.

2 hours ago, Mengo said:

Olympiacos have an agreement in place with Norwich City over Todd Cantwell, but the midfielder prefers Bournemouth, according to Greek daily Sportime.

Makes sense if he's only off on loan, while Olympicacos might have the lure of European football but end of the day moving to a foreign country just for a loan move while you have a choice to also stay in this country you'd probably prefer to stay here/In the UK

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

i know different era but hucks was right he found a place he loved and stayed he could of earned more and his agent more if he had gone to another club i

Edited by LaUnionCanary
Wrong post

It’s not nice seeing a player take a fortune in wages and give so little in return this season, it’s lowered his value and really soured his legacy for me. A really shame - he used to be a favourite but now I just want him to turn the lights out when he leaves. Really disappointing 

I had high hopes of Todd Cantwell being a leading light for our team this season.

Always a complicted individual, I never in a million years thought that the wheels would come off of his City career in such a spectacular and bizarre a manner. All along  with such an amount perpertually hidden reasons and inconsistencies that we have piled up a barage of conspiracy theories and rumours befitting those surrounding booze ups at number 10.

One day we might find out the truth.

Can't say I'm that bothered either way though.

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Makes sense if he's only off on loan, while Olympicacos might have the lure of European football but end of the day moving to a foreign country just for a loan move while you have a choice to also stay in this country you'd probably prefer to stay here/In the UK

This is a strange one as well if the club really has a deal with Olympiacos. Suggests there might be a solid option to buy. I just get the feeling now, that the club wants to get shot of him and aren't too concerned where it is and if he likes it or not.

I agree, I can't see why he'd want a short term loan abroad.