Danke bitte

What is it that you want from Norwich?

To stop talking about a model that’s nothing new and has been the Norwich way for everyone’s lifetime on here. Relegation is 95% nailed on so the next time we’re promoted to this league let’s not look doomed to the drop  come the end of September. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

39 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's all a bit late now though, we've blown the money, lost the soul of the club and I fear we are at the start of a long decline.

Certainly agree with this. We've been found out on all levels and the parochial world of football that Smith & Jones hold dear died a very, very long time ago. 

What I care about:

. That we try to maximize every resource we have towards winning football matches

. We remain progressive and forward thinking and keep up to date with our overall strategy including trends regarding playing style, player profile and head coaches (Not we play our way, sod whether it works or not.)

. The club doesn't put itself at significant risk of administration

. Take cup competitions seriously when we're in the PL and try to win something in my lifetime

. I also want the club to actively seek investment or a take over. That isn't on a time frame or sold to just anyone but I want us to encourage inquiries and explore alternatives to the current succession plan

Stuff I don't particually care about is playing "short passing football", bringing through our own or bigger clubs young players, the nationality of our players, staff or owners or how much profit we make at the end of the year

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

I would just like us to make the strengthening signings that everyone can see are needed for the Premier league. Time after time we have failed to do the obvious, a centre half a couple of times and a defensive midfielder this time. You can almost guarentee that if we had needed a goalkeeper we would have signed a winger and vice versa.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To enjoy watching my team play. To feel pride watching them play.

It's been a long time

It really hasn’t

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

on a personal level the last few seasons have been fantastic,

If that includes the two relegation seasons since 2016 let alone the probability of a third this season i would be amazed that you think that.

41 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I would just like us to make the strengthening signings that everyone can see are needed for the Premier league. Time after time we have failed to do the obvious, a centre half a couple of times and a defensive midfielder this time. You can almost guarentee that if we had needed a goalkeeper we would have signed a winger and vice versa.

So you're saying we shouldn't sign more attacking midfielders than we can fit into the team every window then and try to get some balance in the team? That's an interesting thought

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

gets my heart racing

I wholeheartedly agree with this but it's certainly something that's bar the odd prem game has been missing for our last 2 attempts in this league......so far anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

So you're saying we shouldn't sign more attacking midfielders than we can fit into the team every window then and try to get some balance in the team? That's an interesting thought

No, I am saying the most obvious weakness is always ignored. No replacement for Skipp was classic NCFC. summer recruitment.

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's been a long time since I've been

Corrected that for you! 😊 

To some extent I think we were hoping Farke's ability to do so well with developing talent would help us keep punching above our weight, and unfortunately we weren't able to keep doing so. But I enjoyed the two promotion seasons far more than most, particularly the first one, simply as it was so gloriously unexpected. Not to mention we did it playing a buccaneering brand of football that guaranteed fans to be on the edges of their seats at all times. Fine, we concede in the 80th minute, we'll just get a couple later on. Bolton, Forest, Millwall - or indeed any beating of Ipswich (and the wink) were all games that were readily remembered.

Then we went up after being relegated, which isn't common as a team often falls apart. We were on the brink of doing that early on in the season as we had so many men out to the extent that the subs bench resembled a nursery, yet we climbed up to the promotion places after a slowish start and never looked back after that. Wasn't quite as exciting in terms of footy played, not to mention no crowds either, but even under those eerie circumstances, they played a brand of football that made me pleased to be a fan.

I would say though, that if you put considerable emphasis on encouraging youth, the pride and effort tends to come along as those players are less likely to be mercenaries, or it lasts until their heads are turned.

• Like 3

I’d love an FA Cup win.  I suspect we will float between the top two leagues for many a year as our history suggests and I’m ok with that.  We will never win the Premiership so…….

Imagine winning the FA Cup, if the stars aligned, it could happen.  

• Like 2

I would like us to sign players to strengthen the team for the present, identify areas that need strengtening and strengthen. At present Webber is only looking for a return on what he buys whereas the biggest prize could be to stay in the Premier league. I think that he could have got better players from the lower leagues or non league than he bought in the last window. Under Lambert we bought for the present no big names just hard working players.

Any realistic Norwich fan knows that this season we were going to lose more games and almost certainly be in the bottom 8 and likely closer to the bottom 3.

All any of these realistic Norwich fans (and the unrealistic ones as well!) want is for the team to be competitive regardless of the financial limitations. At the moment the team is miles of being competitive and is in most games just a comfortable victory for the opposition. Its only through Burnley and Newcastle also being poor (though not as poor as Norwich obviously) that we aren't marooned at the bottom 5-6 points of the 19th placed team.

Now I've seen all Norwich relegations since the first one I saw in 1974, next in 81 then 85, 95, 05, 09 and the numerous ones out of the Premier League in the last decade and in all of them apart from the relegation 2 seasons ago the team were competitive and not as hopelessly outclassed as this seasons team.

This is now two seasons in a row of not being competitive in most games and its getting very tiresome.

Edited by kingsway
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

No, I am saying the most obvious weakness is always ignored. No replacement for Skipp was classic NCFC. summer recruitment.

Exactly, and in fact it was Skipp & Tettey - how much more obvious could it have been?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

What I care about:

. That we try to maximize every resource we have towards winning football matches

. We remain progressive and forward thinking and keep up to date with our overall strategy including trends regarding playing style, player profile and head coaches (Not we play our way, sod whether it works or not.)

. The club doesn't put itself at significant risk of administration

. Take cup competitions seriously when we're in the PL and try to win something in my lifetime

. I also want the club to actively seek investment or a take over. That isn't on a time frame or sold to just anyone but I want us to encourage inquiries and explore alternatives to the current succession plan

Stuff I don't particually care about is playing "short passing football", bringing through our own or bigger clubs young players, the nationality of our players, staff or owners or how much profit we make at the end of the year

Excellent post 

13 hours ago, canarycop said:

Can't agree more even on the point of losing interest in football. I used to watch as much football as I could and enjoyed it. Now it's a case of take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong , I will always support Norwich, watch them as much as possible and, when retirement comes my way, finally become a season ticket holder. We will never have the resources to match successful EPL teams. Money has ruined the people's game but that's another subject. I just want us to compete, try and play the right way and see the players and supporters enjoying it. Used to be involved in non league football but even there money and attitudes ruined it for me so had to walk away. Like everything in life if you don't enjoy it then walk away and try something else. City have to get people enjoying them again. Then they will get all the support they need. Saying that I will always support them even through thin and thinner.

Totally agree CC.  Have played and watched football for 55 years and love my club. Just hate the fact that because of the restrictions put upon us by the wealth/ambition/recruitment of the present encumbents we could very easily be 2 leagues lower in 4 years time, as the financial world we live in,football wise,is unforgiving.We could,and should,by now,be better placed to hold our place in the football elite.

I just want to enjoy watching us play exciting football and be proud to say I support NCFC. That means playing on the front foot, giving everything we have on the pitch and, most of all, having a strong connect with the players and club. 

If I’m totally honest these things are much more important than the league we’re playing in.

Without richer owners, aspiring to be the next Brighton is unrealistic, our only chance is to somehow stay up one of these times that we yo yo, and then try to build on that. For us getting promoted to the EPL is like a mid table EPL team getting into the champions League and then being unable to compete with Europe's richest.

So for me I want Norwich to be financially secure, not cavalier with our money and risking being the next team in administration, and entertaining. When we are in the Prem, all I expect is that we give it a go as much as is possible both on the pitch and off it. This season I'd say we have fallen short on both them things.

Edited by OnDaBall

On 08/01/2022 at 10:40, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's been a long time

You didn't enjoy us beating Brentford 1-0? Thrashing Huddersfield and winning the league? I mean yeah that was only last year...

On 08/01/2022 at 10:30, Danke bitte said:

This morning an excellent Robin Sainty article on the EDP got me thinking of the very question. 

What is it you want from NCFC realistically?

I think it’s more apparent than ever that we can’t compete in the Premier League. Not because our starting 11 is sh1te when fully available, I don’t think it is, but we lack squad depth and quality options (or weapons as some prefer… 😊). 

I think Webber made the mistake of tooting this “top 17 club” and raised all expectations beyond what realistically could be achieved. To say we’ve been brought down to earth with a bump is probably an understatement.

So like that all I’d like, is for us to be competitive and get some soul back into the club / team - on a personal level the last few seasons have been fantastic, but I feel you could draw a parallel now to when we got “Premier League serious” under Hughton when Lambert left, when the personality of our play was sucked out. Not that Smith is likely to be as negative as Hughton but I feel like we’re in the furrow of change which will take time. 

I think the ultimate goal is to be competitive in the PL such as Villa and Wolves have done.

In the short term the recruitment has been so inept that my short term wish is to achieve a minimum of 12 points this season so we aren't known as the worst PL team in history. We will end up the championship but with our current squad I have no idea where the club is heading short term. 

In just one season we have slumped to a clueless, boring, incapable side which is depressing to watch. Thank God there is more to life than NCFC

Edited by Mullet

To feel connected to the club and players - I no longer do, even whilst Farke was here I felt connected, I wanted us to do well for him.

To be excited, to have a player(s) who when he gets the ball, we stand up. 

Any serious cup run, I'd swap places with Pompey but have a 'recent' FA Cup win, as I pass Norwich City down to my boy, I'd love to tell him about the day we won the FA Cup at Wembley.

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

To feel connected to the club and players - I no longer do, even whilst Farke was here I felt connected, I wanted us to do well for him.

To be excited, to have a player(s) who when he gets the ball, we stand up. 

Any serious cup run, I'd swap places with Pompey but have a 'recent' FA Cup win, as I pass Norwich City down to my boy, I'd love to tell him about the day we won the FA Cup at Wembley.

Trust me. What you'd really like is to take your boy to see us win at Wembley and share that day with him.

I have been lucky enough to do this with my son, daughter and 2 of the grandkids.