Branston Pickle

Missing Players/Mitigating circumstances

This place can be pretty ridiculous after a defeat, full of stupid comments and throwing around of toys.  I dare say it will be the same tonight. 

In among that, I thought it fair to comment on the mitigating circumstances - not to diminish from undoubted poor performances but to maybe discuss things on a more ‘grown up’ manner.

We are clearly horribly low on confidence - from a morale boosting performance v Man U that deserved far more than it got, but then we had even more injuries and covid to contend with; Villa ought to have probably been postponed. 

We currently have more starting XI players out than I can ever remember, even last season, most of whom would have surely started today under normal circumstances - Krul, Aarons, Andrew O, Hanley, Kabak, Normann, Cantwell, Rashica, Rupp, Pukki; also Zimbo; now it looks like Dimi is also injured.  That’s 12, and some of those playing are probably not fully fit/carrying injuries.

I have to say that level of players missing would see any side struggle and make it hard to be perhaps as competitive as they should be.

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

Dress it up as you like, the effort and organisation is dross and the players look lost. Even with the players you list we have been pummelled at times. It’s the entire season, relegation was pretty much a certainty but the manner of the performances under Smith hasn’t improved and we look terrible.

It’s the worst season I’ve seen since we played the ginger Pele as a forward!

• Like 1

There's 'struggle' and then there's something else. I'd have been happy to see a struggle. This is a farce and the players and manager can't hide behind excuses. Palace are hardly full strength. We're playing four of our summer signings. If they aren't our first choice players then why on earth did we sign them?

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

This place can be pretty ridiculous after a defeat, full of stupid comments and throwing around of toys.  I dare say it will be the same tonight. 

In among that, I thought it fair to comment on the mitigating circumstances - not to diminish from undoubted poor performances but to maybe discuss things on a more ‘grown up’ manner.

We are clearly horribly low on confidence - from a morale boosting performance v Man U that deserved far more than it got, but then we had even more injuries and covid to contend with; Villa ought to have probably been postponed. 

We currently have more starting XI players out than I can ever remember, even last season, most of whom would have surely started today under normal circumstances - Krul, Aarons, Andrew O, Hanley, Kabak, Normann, Cantwell, Rashica, Rupp, Pukki; also Zimbo; now it looks like Dimi is also injured.  That’s 12, and some of those playing are probably not fully fit/carrying injuries.

I have to say that level of players missing would see any side struggle and make it hard to be perhaps as competitive as they should be.

100% correct 

Whatever the mitigating circumstances, part of the game is in the mind, and it looks like the belief has gone from the players. I don't know how you get that back and I don't know enough about Smith to judge if he is a great motivator

Even through all the dross we've been through over the last 30 years,

This is becoming the most disconnected I've been with the club.

It so predictable and tedious.

• Like 1

All clubs have these same problems. We have not got the squad. We haven't even got a competitive first XI. 

No need for excuses, we are not good enough. We average a goal every 450 minutes of play 😂

8 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Just keep clapping 👏👏👏👏

Very clever - perhaps I can just see beyond your level of maturity?  This is clearly not a thread designed for you, so perhaps you should jog on….

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Completely agree. 

9 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Even through all the dross we've been through over the last 30 years,

This is becoming the most disconnected I've been with the club.

It so predictable and tedious.

Feel pretty much the same.

how anyone can defend this is completely beyond me. Its a complete disgrace just how little effort has been put into competing at this level.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You’re in a reducing minority.  And that doesn’t mean everyone else’s comments are “stupid”.

Edited by Kingston Yellow
  • Like 1

We had 9 first teamers out when we beat Man City 3-2 and played the best game I've ever seen at Carrow Road. 

Of course I don't expect us to put in those kind of performances every time, but a bit of fight, grit and stubbornness should be the bare minimum no matter what side we field and we aren't getting to close to that. 

We're an a pathetic laughing stock of a side right now, and will deserve all the criticism that comes our way after another soulless performance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

how anyone can defend this is completely beyond me. Its a complete disgrace just how little effort has been put into competing at this level.

Totally agree.

You cannot defend this **** season. Changes needed at the top.

This is the worst City side for many a year, and the worst atmosphere amongst the supporters since the Roeder days.

Good clickbait OP though.

****ing excuses chap, I'm sick of it. Palace had their best 3 (at least) players missing. 

The lethargy from many supporters of this club make me sick. 

The atmosphere MUST now get toxic, Delia HAS to be made aware in no uncertain terms that she is not wanted here. 

Will that happen? No our fans are too apathetic and quite frankly not passionate enough!!! 

• Like 1

Even with as full squad we aren't good enough, we've not been good enough all season so nothing to hide behind

Yes and no,

We had a lot of absences, but we also spent a lot of money in the summer trying to build a squad of 25 players with adequate depth for the league. Now that still means we are likely to get beaten with so many missing, but if that's our strategy then our second 11 shouldn't look completely out of place in the league. 

Idah, Tzolis, Gunn, etc are supposed to be genuine competition for starting places. In what world did they look it today?

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Very clever - perhaps I can just see beyond your level of maturity?  This is clearly not a thread designed for you, so perhaps you should jog on….

Whereas you telling people not to complain is very mature. 

people are entitled to an opinion but yours is through yellow and green tinted glasses but hey that’s your right as mine is to tell you to keep clapping. As for jogging, I don’t do that unless I need a Norwich of course 🤣🤣🤣

I sort of agree the line up is one which would not be out of place in the league cup when you are resting half the team.

But is the same old issue the Palace team was literally twice the size of the Norwich team we desperately need a Kourate type figure in central midfield.

I never said people can’t complain, 

2 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Whereas you telling people not to complain is very mature. 

people are entitled to an opinion but yours is through yellow and green tinted glasses but hey that’s your right as mine is to tell you to keep clapping. As for jogging, I don’t do that unless I need a Norwich of course 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for proving my point!  I never and would never say people can’t complain - this would be a bland place if they didn’t - you just don’t appear to ‘get’ it.

Edited by Branston Pickle

No excuses, no mitigation, every team in the same boat with injuries, covid and fixtures on top of each other. Plain fact is that the squad is the poorest I can remember in a long while.

The over use of the word maturity is condescending and pointless. If it isn't one excuse, its another.

Injuries. No other club has them?

Finance. Well why won't she sell

Confidence. Well they got themselves into this mess.

I'm angry but I really don't blame the players for lack of ability at this level. Nobody will admit they aren't good enough and of course will sign on the dotted line and pick up as much in a week as many do in a year.

But I do blame them for lack of team play, movement, ball control and shooting ability.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

This the Manchester united who just scrapped a draw against Newcastle. Gary Neville was right we are the only team currently in the Premiership they could beat.

We could put out our best side and it still would not be good enough to compete at this level. The problem is we have recruited poor quality players and that is down to Weber. If Weber thinks his hands are tied by the owners not having any money to put in then he needs to come out and say so. As it stands, he needs to own this problem.