Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Are You Happy With Southgate

He ticks virtually all the boxes for me and an alternative does not jump out at me so the answer is yes Kiwi.

Yeah, gives youth a chance at a finals of a competition. Selections not bad either, makes sensible subs and looks like he really gets into it

Works for me, no one else screaming out for the role either. 

However I think before these Euros started if we didn't do well (what ever that is) would he walk / be pushed, and if so who would come in. 

8 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Works for me, no one else screaming out for the role either. 

However I think before these Euros started if we didn't do well (what ever that is) would he walk / be pushed, and if so who would come in. 

Roy hodgson is out of a job now and so is big Sam 🤣

He's doing well with a team that's a bit short of quality at centre-half and where, IMO, the best goalkeeper is out in Pope.

6 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Roy hodgson is out of a job now and so is big Sam 🤣

As I said no one else screaming out for the role either. 

• Haha 1

His past record is dodgy/ got Middlesbrough relegated and not much else, he ticks box of being a safe pair of hands for FA but plays timid football imho- so much talent but sets up in negative way 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Red Rufus said:

What exactly do you mean by him playing favourites? Do you mean he is not playing your favourites?

'Playing favourites' generally means that he is picking experienced players who have proven themselves as solid performers on the international stage over recent years.

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

'Playing favourites' generally means that he is picking experienced players who have proven themselves as solid performers on the international stage over recent years.

Yeah. Or Kyle Walker.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

His brief must be to make the final at least, he has the tools if he’s good enough to manage them. 

I agree, this tournament makes or breaks him. On the face of it getting to a World Cup semi final was great, but in reality we were massive favourites in all of the games that we won and one that we lost (Croatia). Arguably underdogs in our two v Belgium but they beat us quite comfortably both times.

This time round we've arguably the best squad there after France. It has been years and years since we went into a tournament with such short odds. Less than semi-finals would be weak.

Good start today though, and two of the things roundly criticised when the team was issued (Sterling starting and Rice/Phillips in CM) were critical to us winning, and in a relatively comfortable fashion. Still, ignoring the performance you would have to say that home v Croatia, a 1 goal victory is decidedly par. We might need a birdie or two to win this.

• Like 1

I can't say I'm his biggest fan. His squad selections, his team selections and - as others have pointed out - his rather defensive philosophy does leave me feeling a bit meh watching England. 

He's alright, wouldn't go as far to say I'm a massive fan, wouldn't be gutted if he's replaced in a months time. 

I don't get the "defensive" accusations. 

Today he played a 4-2-3-1 with the full backs given free reign to push on while one of the midfield two dropped back and the other linked the play to the fairly fluid forward line. 

Any of that sound familiar...?

Edited by Evil Monkey
  • Like 3

Nope.

Lost all interest in following England games in recent years, so dull. He was only given the job on the basis that he was in caretaker charge and was the safe and cheap option. There is no way someone like Gareth Southgate gets such a job in another country.

I dont particularly rate him but it's not an easy job to fill as nobody wants the role. I doubt someone like Potter would leave a club like Brighton for the job for example, you're always looking at second rate or has been managers. My main concern with Southgate is his tactical approach, he seems good enough in other areas but I dont understand what hes trying to get the team to do at times and the sides he picks never seem to gel all that well or play with any fluidity or purpose. 

But overall passable, we beat sides weaker than us and tend to draw or lose against equals and teams better than us. Hes got us playing at our level just about but nothing really above and beyond what were capable of

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Southgate's ok, as long as he doesn't have to take a crucial penalty..... 😉 

He'll do for now - and he's really not doing a bad job as results go.....But he's a definite touch forelock nicey nice man.....and certainly suits the suits who employ him.....

Anyway, it's a poisoned chalice position (much like any managerial position in all levels of football) however which way you look at it, and I can understand why many experienced managers/coaches avoid managing the national team like the plague.....

But with the plethora and riches of footballing talent available here in England, the right person as manager would and should produce an exciting and difficult side to beat.....Although, I can't think at this moment in time of anyone who'd currently fit that bill......

I knew Croatia were weaker than 3 years ago but my god they were awful. Ageing players, pedestrian passes and a real weakness in the full back positions gave us the options of short and some decent long balls (Mings).

Philips was fantastic but the fact Rice really didn’t need to do much to dominate the midfield says it all. It’s Philips and his forward runs and passes that has got the attention (quite rightly) but that he was allowed to do this shows how easily we won that midfield battle.

As an early yardstick, we don’t look as good as Italy or Belgium but we’re more controlled than the Netherlands. With our attacking talent we should be able to punish poor teams, play with some style and do more than sneak some wins in the group stages. A win is a win though and the tactics were right to beat a declining, rubbish Croatian side. 

A decent win but the group stages are not where Southgate will be measured. Getting at least to the semis is a must for him to be deemed anywhere near a success this tournament.

I tend not to really give 2 shoots about the national team because of being burned when I was kid during Euro 96 and France 98. Plus no Norwich players ever get near the squad so I have no real connection. 

World Cup '18 was amazing though and Southgate has a great squad at his disposal to at least get to the quarters. I just don't think we ever reach the giddy heights we should though, we seem to always bottle it. On paper England are pretty damn good. But overall I feel there's this lack of dynamism and bite which could make the difference in some games. 

I really want Grealish to start too and he just doesn't seem like a popular choice, he's a bit of a maverick which we need.