Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

We could be losing Buendia and Arons in January

This is the problem, we develop talent and can't hold on to them. Buendia now has serious interest from Leeds, Villa, Atletico Madrid and Valencia.

Max Arons can add Everton to the vast list of clubs after him.

You can't blame them if they go to top clubs because they deserve it, its just gutting for our own aspirations thats all.

Should get 50 + MILLION for these two so we may be seeing some new faces come in

Valencia would be a great move for Buendia, can’t see him getting a game with Athletico. 

Everton makes sense for Aaron’s.

I hope it is just rumours.

We can't really do any more can we? We're top. We've got them each on long deals. If an offer the size of which has been spoken of comes in for either or both from sides of the stature of those mentioned, then we have to accept they'll likely be off. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mullet said:

This is the problem, we develop talent and can't hold on to them. Buendia now has serious interest from Leeds, Villa, Atletico Madrid and Valencia.

Max Arons can add Everton to the vast list of clubs after him.

You can't blame them if they go to top clubs because they deserve it, its just gutting for our own aspirations thats all.

Should get 50 + MILLION for these two so we may be seeing some new faces come in

Unfortunately, until any club is established as a consistent mid table premier league team or above, this is the same problem every club faces.

One has to remember that Aarons was brought in from Luton as a youngster, their fans didn't even get to see him play. Godfrey was brought in from York, though they did get to see a glimpse of his ability first. Maddison is similar but from Coventry. Mumba could be next and we nabbed him from Sunderland.

The point is unless any club is in the same position as those looking to sign a player, you always run this risk. It's why they often say the 2nd season in the prem is the hardest. You have survived the drop but in reality you face the same prospect of losing players. Then you have to find capable replacements and bed them in.

Even teams like Man Utd, Arsenal and Leicester have struggled to keep players to clubs from the continent or within the premier league. It's the nature of the game. All you can really hope is that we hold onto them for as long as is possible and then really push to maximise the money to be made from them.

As for value - the impact of Covid is yet to be seen. There is a lot of conversation in various places suggesting that players values might be quite a bit less than we have seen with big clubs having less money to throw around and the smaller clubs possibly being in a position where they have to sell to survive. 

The value of their transfer at the moment is still worth less than the premier league TV payment. They are part of a team playing well, I think they could be persuaded to stay until the summer.

If someone offers 30m for one of them then it is hard to turn down but equally you will still get a similar fee in the summer if they continue to play well. I know Arsenal are a huge club but they are a mess at the moment and a new manager could come in at any time. 

Having big clubs looking at our best players must mean we are doing something right.

The alternative is to have crap players in a poor team going nowhere.

Don't hear of much interest from big clubs in the 1p5wich players do we?

• Like 4

Where’s the ‘serious interest’?  Clearly decent players will attract other teams, but they must know there’s a pretty big premium to pay in January.  As we’ve started well, there’s a more than decent chance of keeping players we don’t want to leave.

22 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Why would we? There are NO clubs bigger than 1p5wich. Do you know they have history?

Edited by Sooty57

25 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Having big clubs looking at our best players must mean we are doing something right.

The alternative is to have crap players in a poor team going nowhere.

Weren't we interested in Woolfenden? 🤣

Covid has seriously impacted the finances of all clubs. It's likely that there are now fewer teams able to make the type of bids we'd accept.

Let's hope so, anyway. Losing either of them would be a massive blow but losing both could be the difference between going up and not

• Like 1

Can’t see how we’d let them go considering how we’re doing in the league at the moment, especially with Aarons as we’re currently struggling in the full back positions.

Aarons didn't throw his toys out when Barca came in for him, I think we can fight off Everton.

Also weren't Valencia in a massive financial crisis a few months ago? Doubt they are making big bids for anyone right now.

Edited by king canary

I reckon Max is too shrewd to join Arsenal right now.  He knows he needs to go somewhere where the coach is established and has faith in him.  Defenders need to play almost all the time, and be critical to the defensive unit.  The rumours around Arteta are poisonous, and I reckon Max will be looking elsewhere.  

Emi is in a different position, he just needs to be in the mix at large club whose style matches his strength.  Arsenal would be a good choice, their status might even give him an international opportunity.  I reckon that would mean a lot to Emi.

Time will tell.

This is what happens when your scouting and youth development is as good as ours. Inevitable they will move on eventually but preferably no sooner than eighteen months time. 

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Where’s the ‘serious interest’?  Clearly decent players will attract other teams, but they must know there’s a pretty big premium to pay in January.  As we’ve started well, there’s a more than decent chance of keeping players we don’t want to leave.

Exactly. I know I sound like Jerrykerry, but this thread is just pantwetting click bait.

33 minutes ago, ricardo said:

When was the last time the top team in the Championship sold its best players in January?

We’re we top at any point in the January window last time we went up? You know we are capable of it. Anything to keep her train set.

As Ricardo suggests, we're literally in the strongest possible position in the January scenario.

We're top, winning all over the place and objectively look pretty much odds on to bounce back up. Anyone interested in two of our best players (in the winter window too) best be prepared to pay an absolutely stupid club-record style fee.

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

As Ricardo suggests, we're literally in the strongest possible position in the January scenario.

We're top, winning all over the place and objectively look pretty much odds on to bounce back up. Anyone interested in two of our best players (in the winter window too) best be prepared to pay an absolutely stupid club-record style fee.

They will be though won’t they. You can already see comments on here saying if someone offers £30m we will have no choice but to accept. £50m maybe but £30m not enough in my view. The message it would send out would be dreadful. 

10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They will be though won’t they. You can already see comments on here saying if someone offers £30m we will have no choice but to accept. £50m maybe but £30m not enough in my view. The message it would send out would be dreadful. 

I still maintain it depends on the player. If Emi and Max are happy to stay until the summer, it would take an obscene bid to persuade us to sell them in January (unless we can negotiate a loan-back until the end of the season). Either way, I'd be surprised if either of them leaves, and astonished if they both leave.

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If anybody is actually bidding over £30 million for Championship players in January I'll be gobsmacked. 

For this reason, and the fact that once again our star players are being allowed to showcase their best qualities in a winning team that plays to their strengths, makes me quite confident no one is going anywhere in Jan. 

• Like 1

No point in either of them leaving in January. They will get two chances if they stay with us and win the league.

Go up with us and double your wages and play every week or go to a bigger club, treble your wages and not play every week.

We can only hope that IF we succeed this season, that they join us in the Prem next season. Fingers crossed. However, after one season in the Prem, relegation or not, they will go due to the high salaries offered by those that have. There is no way we can compete. Unfortunately. We have to be happy that we are producing Top young talent, and purchasing fantastic cheapies, and freebies. Long may that conveyor belt continue. Long may Farke and Webber stay. Hopefully, there is a plan for when they leave.

• Like 2

I doubt we'll get the kind offers we "can't refuse" in January. Continuing this good run would persuade our top players to hold on to their motivation and focus regardless. At the moment all of them are increasing their value game by game.

It should be added that Pukki's full commitment to Norwich and Krul's presence adds serious credibility to promotion run. I'm especially thinking about Pukki's chemistry on field with Buendia. It just works. This should not be underestimated.

I thought both would go in August . I now don’t think they will go in Jan. make of that what you will. 

PS both will go regardless of what div we are in at some point . The lure of a bigger club (and a stack of cash on a four year deal) won’t be ignored . 

We couldn’t hang on to Kevin Reeves . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

It would take insane bids for Norwich to allow them to go in Jan. COVID or not, teams who are top of Championship simply won't sell their best assets in Jan. It would cause unrest in the team,weaken the team and take a huge risk to buy a decent replacement and gel them in half way through.

It's good that Webber has shown he plays hard ball when teams come sniffing, and will show Norwich's real ambition about bouncing straight back up, even though we're only half way through the season 

Just cant see it happening myself, we have covered our finances for the Covid hole with the sale of Lewis and Godfrey and so have no great pressure to sell. When you then add to our league position and the financial implications of promotion I would consider the club to be extremely bullish about selling our biggest assets in this window. 

Could it happen? Absolutely. But what it would take now would be significantly more than the summer prices quoted. We know that January windows inflate the price, and with our players back in form in comparison to the end of last season I think we would be looking for prices in the £30-40 million region. I just really struggle to see anyone coughing that up right now. 

In terms of player power? I actually think Buendia and Max are both quite happy for now, I have no doubt they are aware they are fully in the shop window and playing in a good side that shows them at the best. They probably both also know that no matter what they will be playing Premier league or La Liga football next season, with or without us. The club has probably assured them of much and so there won't be a situation of them needing to force a move. I could imagine Webber sitting down with them and their representatives and saying 'January we will only allow it for X amount, for the good of the club, but in the summer we could be in the top flight or, if we aren't, we are willing to be a little more flexible on that'