cambridgeshire canary

Seeing as Krul will most likely be returning to our number 1 keeper spot at the weekend.. Round of applause for Mcgovern?

While yes he did look somewhat shakey and rusty in his first game in the net for us after Krul's injury fair to say he's not done bad has he?

Made quite a few fantastic saves, and kept us winning it tonight at the last too. Michael NeuerGovern, I owe you an applogy.

You're far better than I give you credit for.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Well done to McGovern, great improvement. Proved me wrong. 

Will happily go on record and say I was extremely dubious about McGovern's ability to fill Krul's boots, even on a temporary basis. However, he has become more composed with each passing game, and the only travesty is that he somehow hasn't managed a clean sheet to go alongside the ever-improving performances.

Can't wait to get the big man back, but well played indeed Mr McGovern!

• Like 1

We are lucky to have him, he, is after all, an International keeper, not just the ordinary backup keeper. Well done, a very agile shot stopper. Must do his confidence an awful lot of good, wouldn't it be strange if he kept Krul out with some outstanding performances!

Farke when some player perform top, him never that easy exchange him for naturaly first choice player.

so not be surprise to see Krul on bench who ofc is harsh but very Farke way...

I suspect with a weeks break after the Cardiff game, then a couple of games before the FA Cup we won’t see Krul until the Watford game. Absolutely no need to take any risks.

On top of that with McGovern being right footed and Krul left with no real sessions to build up to the Cardiff game keeps the consistency until they can have a few sessions with Krul.

Eh...he still can’t kick for toffee. Almost certain to lose the ball if we get pressed back to the keeper. But his shot stopping is first rate.

Edited by WD40

Ultimately has done just fine in likely the final appearances of his career- underrated save from that FK at the end there. 

However, for posterity- Zimbo is 6 foot 4.

IMG_20201216_224502.jpg

Another example of players needing time to settling in and getting up to speed before they can produce their best. McGovern has barely played in the past few years and people were pretty quick to criticise him.

We saw it with the likes of Vrancic when they first joined and more recently with Rupp. Hopefully fans will start to see the reality of the situation and give players time in the future. 

• Like 2

All those hurling vitriolic abuse at him just goes to show how they know FA about football. Always better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt. 🙂🙂

Nobody  wanted to see Krul out injured for some weeks but i for one am happy that MM got the chance to have a run of games for us. His chances of such a run have been  pretty limited in the last few seasons but hes always been there, on the bench, awaiting any mishap to the no.1 GK. Not easy to find a keeper who would be a no.2 for so many seasons, he can rightfully say he has played his part for the first team  this season and generally not let anyone down.

• Like 1

I said this before but there's a really small chance that Webber and Farke do know what they're doing! I'd have loved for us to sign an awesome number two but I didnt and don't think Lee Camp was enough of an improvement to warrant the sort of ridiculous comments about going for him.

• Like 1

Well McGovern can genuinely say he earned his Championship winners medal when we do achieve that this season. But Tim Krul back a.s.a.p please, he's the one that takes us to the next level. 

• Like 1

He's done really well and I defended his capabilities as a number 2. He's proved that he is a capable Championship deputy. There is no doubt that Krul will be straight back in when he's ready though. Not based on McGovern's goalkeeping fundamentals, he hasn't let us down but Krul is much more comfortable with the ball. There was a point last night when Hanley was facing his own goal, a Reading player around him and he clearly didn't want to play the ball back to McGovern with them both under pressure. I think he would have trusted Krul more in that situation and played the ball. That's why Krul will come straight back in. I completely trust McGovern to make saves though. He's just not the modern footballing goalkeeper that we need. Well done to him though, good shot stopper, great professional. Would love to see him become part of our coaching team in the future. 

Edited by seanthecanary

It was no surprise to me that McGovern proved to be a competent stand in.

I seem to recall that this spell is not the first time that he has been needed in such a way and that he has always justified himself in the past.

I was told in no uncertain terms that Michael McGovern was a ‘national league’ goalkeeper and therefore not up to the job.

What went wrong?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I was told in no uncertain terms that Michael McGovern was a ‘national league’ goalkeeper and therefore not up to the job.

What went wrong?

There was a collective hysteria from some.

It was so intense I almost wavered myself, and certainly got the ****es whenever the ball went near him during that first game.

• Haha 2

While Krul is a better GK , I think McGovern has shown what a good professional he is.

Good performance all round , respect!

• Thanks 2

Hate to say I told you so, but...

Then again, goalkeeping in particular is a position where your average fan who's never played there does not know the mental side of it as well as those who have. It's literally a different ball game.

• Like 1

As suspected, Krul to return after Christmas.

Wether or not we believe the latest scan, in my opinion absolutely the right decision with no reason to take any risks.

Don't risk him, McGovern is doing a fine job and is getting better every game. When Krul's back fully fit again he can come into the team, but he's too valuable to risk too early.

Fair play to him, he has done considerably better than I thought he would, and that save at 0-0 against Blackburn was top drawer. From everything that comes out of the club it also sounds like he's great in the dressing room.

But, particularly if we get promoted, we really need to upgrade him before next season. He's a decent shot-stopper, but his distribution is terrible, his presence in goal is practically non-existent and he just doesn't really inspire any confidence. It's not his fault he's not Tim Krul obviously, but it's no coincidence we haven't kept a single clean sheet in the 7 games he's been between the sticks. In the 7 games before Krul's injury we'd conceded a total of just 3 goals. 

11 hours ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Fair play to him, he has done considerably better than I thought he would, and that save at 0-0 against Blackburn was top drawer. From everything that comes out of the club it also sounds like he's great in the dressing room.

But, particularly if we get promoted, we really need to upgrade him before next season. He's a decent shot-stopper, but his distribution is terrible, his presence in goal is practically non-existent and he just doesn't really inspire any confidence. It's not his fault he's not Tim Krul obviously, but it's no coincidence we haven't kept a single clean sheet in the 7 games he's been between the sticks. In the 7 games before Krul's injury we'd conceded a total of just 3 goals. 

Harsh for me, but I just wanted to say - top user name! Best I’ve seen for a long time. 😂

• Like 2