Just watched the highlights.

The Wycombe player, after pulling him down,  trapped Adam's leg between his, resulting in Adam falling on top of him as he tried to get away. His right hand landed on top of the Wycombe player's shoulder. I couldn't see what his left hand was doing.

Red card? I don't think so, unless Adam was fouling with his left hand, which doesn't seem likely judging by their player's reaction.

Anyone think differently?

• Like 2

The defender rolled around holding his face. The ref obviously thought that he deliberately caught him with his hands in a violent way. It's very difficult to see from the replay.

It seemed incredibly harsh in real time and the ref probably misinterpreted what happened. But it's unlikely to be overturned. Unless they can find an angle which shows that the hands didn't contact the face, it's a subjective call by the ref.

With hindsight it's easy to say, but you really should avoid letting your hands touch another player's face. The ref was pretty awful in general and it's best not to give them the opportunity to make that kind of decision. 

• Like 1

In real time it looked like he stamped on the player, I thought.

But the replays cleared showed nothing of the sort. It looked like Idah tried to get up and sprint off, but because the defender had his leg trapped (most definitely on purpose), he then toppled over and put his arms out to steady himself falling into the defender.

One thing that wasn’t quite clear was if he had maybe leant in his elbow or used some force with his left arm instead of just steadying the fall - but it certainly looked very unintentional based on the angles of the replays seen although not completely conclusive.

Idah’s reaction also suggests innocence. Hopefully in an appeal there will be access to other camera angles otherwise it will be deemed inconclusive and 100% in favour of the ref.

It was the umpteenth time they had overreacted to a challenge - I was astonished at how many times it happened.  It was just another bit of feigning from them..in truth it was a blatant foul from their guy in the first place, that the lino/ref ‘missed’.

Gibson’s yellow was also poor from the Lino- it was a good clean challenge-and not even a foul.

Have to say ‘Paddy’s pointers’ were full of errors imo - a ‘blatant’ penalty that would have been softer than v PNE and Idah ‘lashing out’ - somewhat of an overstatement.  It almost made it sound like we were lucky.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I've watched it a few times and whether it was premeditated or not, the fact is Idah put his hands in Jacobsen's face. By the letter of the law, red card and 3 match ban for violent conduct. I'm not sure that he can argue that he only put his hands out as he was toppling over

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Just watched the highlights.

The Wycombe player, after pulling him down,  trapped Adam's leg between his, resulting in Adam falling on top of him as he tried to get away. His right hand landed on top of the Wycombe player's shoulder. I couldn't see what his left hand was doing.

Red card? I don't think so, unless Adam was fouling with his left hand, which doesn't seem likely judging by their player's reaction.

Anyone think differently?

Completely agree.

It just goes to show how poor the officials are now days. If they had been watching, and as you rightly say, the defender trapped Idah's leg and wouldn't let go - should have been a free kick to us. The only crime Idah was guilty of was trying to get himself free. I don't think he had his hands near his face - why he was rolling around like he'd been shot I just don't know.

I find it really sad when the only weapon in your armoury is roll around pretending you're hurt and try to get an opponent sent off.

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It was the umpteenth time they had overreacted to a challenge - I was astonished at how many times it happened.  It was just another bit of feigning from them..in truth it was a blatant foul from their guy in the first place, that the lino/ref ‘missed’.

Gibson’s yellow was also poor from the Lino- it was a good clean challenge-and not even a foul.

Have to say ‘Paddy’s pointers’ were full of errors imo - a ‘blatant’ penalty that would have been softer than v PNE and Idah ‘lashing out’ - somewhat of an overstatement.

I tried to have a look at this article and the site is literally inaccessible due to adverts. What a mess lol.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Have to say ‘Paddy’s pointers’ were full of errors imo - a ‘blatant’ penalty that would have been softer than v PNE and Idah ‘lashing out’ - somewhat of an overstatement.  It almost made it sound like we were lucky.

I agree with your analysis. Adam was scissored in the tackle....a foul itself. Wycombe players overplayed their theatrics every time throughout the whole 90 minutes. Now I think they are a spirited team but if this is one of their  methods they will be forming a kind of mentality which isn't a winning one. They risk a quick return to L1 if they don't believe in themselves and have to resort to trying to extract the maximum effect they can from each tackle.

Adam was trying to get away too. He wanted a quick re-start.  His reaction was very telling. Innocent.

Interesting to read Twitter for reactions and it's very instructive that no Wycombe fans bother to talk about the red card but moan about Mario's dive for the freekick. I don't think it was a cheating event but he fell in only the graceful way Mario knows!

I cannot see us challenging it given DF's post match thoughts (though he stated he had yet to replay it). And if we did I reckon the authorities would back the ref. 

One final point. If the incident had taken place in the first 5 minutes and not the last 2 it would not have been a red. No way. But the ref had Wycombe players in his ear ALL the game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I agree with your analysis. Adam was scissored in the tackle....a foul itself. Wycombe players overplayed their theatrics every time throughout the whole 90 minutes. Now I think they are a spirited team but if this is one of their  methods they will be forming a kind of mentality which isn't a winning one. They risk a quick return to L1 if they don't believe in themselves and have to resort to trying to extract the maximum effect they can from each tackle.

Adam was trying to get away too. He wanted a quick re-start.  His reaction was very telling. Innocent.

Interesting to read Twitter for reactions and it's very instructive that no Wycombe fans bother to talk about the red card but moan about Mario's dive for the freekick. I don't think it was a cheating event but he fell in only the graceful way Mario knows!

I cannot see us challenging it given DF's post match thoughts (though he stated he had yet to replay it). And if we did I reckon the authorities would back the ref. 

One final point. If the incident had taken place in the first 5 minutes and not the last 2 it would not have been a red. No way. But the ref had Wycombe players in his ear ALL the game.

You could hear the overreactions from the wwfc bench all through the game . It is something the ref / fourth official has within their remit to stop - but of course they never do. 
Wycome were route one , and looked for restarts the whole time. Like Wimbledon of old , or any Pulis team. I was really disappointed in them - but I doubt we’ll see them next year . 

• Like 1

It's one of the reasons that this league is considered to be so unpredictable. The weaker teams go to away marches at the likes of Carrow Road with and agenda, a tactic that borders on gamemanship and with sufficient practise that they are useful at it.

Last time it was Brum's roughouse tactics, yesterday we had them falling over in supposed pain at the slightest tackle. I, and I suspect many others, noticed this within the first fifteen minutes. The officials usually manage to be slower on the uptake, for some reason.

They also come with a great big double decker to park, and it never takes long before the time wasting begins. Mind games are the aim of their game, never pure football. Neither are City guilt free under certain circumstances and our ability to collectively fall over at the slightest is well documented.

Yesterday's win was fortunate to a certain extent, but we were easily the better side, imo, even though Wycombe had more dangerous moments than even they would have expected. Mind games succeeding?

It has been stated that we will fayre better against the sides who are capable of playing more football (eg. 'Boro, Leeds, Swansea etc. two season's ago .. the better outfits.) Let's wish for this to be the case, whilst we get ugly wins against minnows like Wycombe.

Class won in the end, but sometimes frustration might be the name of the game. It's a long season and again the cream will rise to the top. We are the full fat variety. 

I don't think it was simply Idah falling and putting his hands out, looked clearly like a reaction to me, and that action is always going to lead to a red card.

Should still have been a yellow for the initial tackle though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

I don't think it was simply Idah falling and putting his hands out, looked clearly like a reaction to me, and that action is always going to lead to a red card.

Should still have been a yellow for the initial tackle though.

Agree that Idah didn't fall, he pushed the player off, but in my opinion you should push a player off if he has you. It should never be a red but I very much doubt it would be over turned if appealed, as they will say the push warrants a red (it doesn't).

What has the game come to.

Would never have been red with 27,000 fans in the stadium.

If we're not careful the champs will become football for tv like the PL is. Countless replays for armchair 'arrys to mull over.....

It wasn't a red in real time, the linesman had a much better view and saw nothing in it, the ref blew up and went straight for the red when the Wycombe player had Idah's foot still trapped between his legs. Absolute farce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It wasn't a red in real time, the linesman had a much better view and saw nothing in it, the ref blew up and went straight for the red when the Wycombe player had Idah's foot still trapped between his legs. Absolute farce.

Exactly, the linesman had a perfect view but seemingly couldn't be bothered to do his job

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Exactly, the linesman had a perfect view but seemingly couldn't be bothered to do his job

Seems to happen a lot that "assistant referees" as they are laughingly called don't take responsibility.

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Seems to happen a lot that "assistant referees" as they are laughingly called don't take responsibility.

I dont know if its referees with some weird power flex or assistants not wanting to make decisions but the linesman had such a good view. The ref should be going over to the linesman and at least confirming they saw the same thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Never a red but will not be changed unfortunately as thought he was having a decent game.

Pushing the guy back to the ground was not a sensible thing to do. He'll learn from that.

Edited by lake district canary

I think it was a fair decision - I don’t think Farke objected much to it either. I agree that the ref should have given a foul on Idah first - the Wycombe player slid in and brought him down from behind, but when Idah got back up one of his legs was still trapped between the Wycombe player’s legs. As a result of this I think Idah overreacted and shoved the Wycombe player in the face - he certainly didn’t fall on him

I have to disagree, he clearly pushed the player in the face which nowadays is a red card

6 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Never a red, those of you saying it was need to give your collective heads a wobble.  Won't get overturned though due to the utter incompetence of those that make these decisions.

Hands to face - if it was, but having watched it a few times, that’s what it looks like - is a red. End of unfortunately.

8 hours ago, canarycop said:

Who is going to replace him on the bench as forward cover. That us the question

Hugill?

As for the red card, I think the referee was justified. Obviously Jacobson didn't do him any favours by rolling around holding his face when there was no contact with his face, but it did look like Idah reacted by shoving him quite hard in the chest/neck/shoulder area. Regardless of whether it should be a red card, players should know by now that nowadays it's going to be a red card most of the time.