Hugill didn’t do too much tonight and doesn’t look nimble enough to be a starter for Norwich at the moment. He seems to be on his heels too much. Best bet is to stick with Pukki up front especially as we seem to be playing a lot quicker now. It makes it easier for Pukki’s clever runs to be picked out. 

2 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Hugill didn’t do too much tonight and doesn’t look nimble enough to be a starter for Norwich at the moment. He seems to be on his heels too much. Best bet is to stick with Pukki up front especially as we seem to be playing a lot quicker now. It makes it easier for Pukki’s clever runs to be picked out. 

Not his sort of game if we aren't going to ping the crosses in. Set up brilliantly early doors second half by Emi but ballooned his effort.

Sadly it looks as though Pukki has tweaked his hamstring so we'll have to see how that pans out.

2 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Funny how we all see it differently...

I think he's a big awkward unit who's going to score, he's such a handful for defenders

Same here. Was causing problems for them and certainly adds another dimension.

I know it’s not why he is in the side but he really helps defensively from set pieces too. 

With the form that Pukki is in and has been for a while, does Pukki really offer more than Hugill? Hugill offers us something different and I'm not opposed to letting him have a few games to get some rhythm going. 

There'll have to be some natural rotation though with games coming this thick and fast, so all three strikers will get decent game time this season.

Actually thought Hugill played well off the shoulder tonight, but don't think he's a natural finisher.

Definitely brings some variety to our attack though, which is very welcome.

Overall I didn’t really think it worked having him and Pukki on the pitch. They both looked a little lost but Pukki was able to see more of the ball.

Quintilla was putting in some lovely balls that always gave us a chance. It’s not a bad tactic to be able to get the ball in from good positions when teams don’t give us the space centrally like tonight. But he want really able to get close to one. 

He'll never be a world beater and I think he'll be in and out of the side all season, sometimes starting, sometimes on the bench. 

But he'll improve a bit and with his passion and work rate will become a bit of a fan favourite.

Pukki still the man main and will show that when he's scored a few to forget about last season, Hugill a Mathias Svensson.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

When we really get our intricate game going through the middle I think Hugill looks a little clunky trying to link up with the others.

However, he offers that alternative that we can put in crosses, with Xavi having a fantastic delivery. It will help us to be less one dimensional.

Hugill has a big part to play.

Pukki plays up front with a bigger striker when playing for Finland and is effective with the work he does from deep and wide and linking others.

Sadly we have to accept that he isnt the same clinical finisher he was 2 seasons ago....the days of us threading a ball through to him to score a one one are gone because a) he can't finish those chances and b) teams are defending deeper meaning there's less space for him to run onto.

Hugill and Pukki will offer us different qualities...had we have played both of them vs Derby ,I'm sure we'd have found a way through one wsy or another

Agree with some of the comments above, once we start flowing and tonight was a good step in the right direction with Cantwell playing, i don't think Hugill suits this sort of play and is best used as a sub. Far more suited to Pukki/Idah

He's decent enough. Offers a another dimension, has good effort and his head seems to be in the right place. All in all a good piece of work in the transfer market.

Although he should cause defences problems at this level and he should bag a few goals there is nothing that I have seen in him that justifies the reported £10m fee that West Ham paid for him. I suppose this observation has been borne out by events.

That we are reported to have paid a fee that could reach £5m seems more reasonable and he will likely become a popular figure at Carrow Road.

One doubt remains though. If we were to get promoted would he be able to hack in in the top league or would he again fall short?

Not much of a doubt at this moment in time though as the priority has to be his worth/contribution with regards this season's aim of an instant return.

All in all I feel that he just scrapes it over Jordan Rhodes, but that's mainly due to the latter's age. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

He's decent enough. Offers a another dimension, has good effort and his head seems to be in the right place. All in all a good piece of work in the transfer market.

Although he should cause defences problems at this level and he should bag a few goals there is nothing that I have seen in him that justifies the reported £10m fee that West Ham paid for him. I suppose this observation has been borne out by events.

That we are reported to have paid a fee that could reach £5m seems more reasonable and he will likely become a popular figure at Carrow Road.

One doubt remains though. If we were to get promoted would he be able to hack in in the top league or would he again fall short?

Not much of a doubt at this moment in time though as the priority has to be his worth/contribution with regards this season's aim of an instant return.

All in all I feel that he just scrapes it over Jordan Rhodes, but that's mainly due to the latter's age. 

He’ll be judged on how many goals he knocks in come the end of a hopefully successful season. If he can match or better his return at QPR then everyone’s a winner. 

I wasn't able to watch last night,  did we put crosses into the box onto Hugill's head, or did we keep trying to thread it through the middle on the floor?

He's still warming up to our ways. I think he'll come good if he gets the game time. 

12 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I wasn't able to watch last night,  did we put crosses into the box onto Hugill's head, or did we keep trying to thread it through the middle on the floor?

First 30 or so minutes Quintilla was causing havoc with a number of very good crosses, none of which Hugill was able to really make the most of, after that the crosses dried up and Hugill was pretty much anonymous for the whole 2nd half until he got subbed.

22 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I think Hugill is another who’s biding his time before breaking the seal on his first goals from play. Once he’s starting to shoot with success, we’ll feel differently even though he won’t be doing anything else differently.

See also Rupp - starting to come together, in midfield equivalent terms - and poor Pukki . (If only Cantwell instead of shooting close to the keeper, had  squared that first opportunity last night  to Teemu - as would probably have happened in the reverse situation.) 

Watching the highlights reminded me - Pukki was hauled down when Idah broke on that run near the halfway line in the second half. We then had a couple of good chances so I thought the ref would eventually go back to it with a yellow card, but nothing. Birmingham got away pretty lightly with him, despite the red card.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Quintilla and Aarons mix up their crosses a bit- almost all of the crosses were generally hit low, although I do understand Birmingham are a big side with a back 3 so it might not have been the most effective idea. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd like to see Quintilla and Aarons mix up their crosses a bit- almost all of the crosses were generally hit low, although I do understand Birmingham are a big side with a back 3 so it might not have been the most effective idea. 

Quintilla did mix it up a bit, particularly early on for Hugill - who wasn't winning anything against 3 big CB's so after that was mostly low and drilled.

I like him, but he needs a strike partner, so for me it would always be alongside Idah or Pukki. He couldn't play that lone wolf no.9 role that Pukki has had to do for the last couple of years, his movement and touch aren't as good, although backs against the wall he'd be a decent enough target man for a long hoof. 

Cedric Anselin calls him Huggle. I think that's what the Brum centre backs were trying to do most of last night.

If any player was caught on his heels last night it was Pukki. Time and again he was slow to react, not anticipating the ball. Numerous times intricate balls played in to him but the move broke down because he was not ready. Looks half the player he was when banging in the goals for fun. Hope it is just a dip in form. Needs a couple of goals to get going again.

18 hours ago, daly said:

Not much to choose between all three 

None look worth a place

Quite agree. Looks like a big weakness for us this season. None of them looked likely to get on the end of anything in the box. Pukki had a great spell, in common with many strikers, but at the moment is a shadow of his former self. Getting on a bit does not help.