Rhino1

Farke’s use of substitutes is poor!!

I support Farke 99% of the time, but again today not for the first time he failed to use substitutes early enough to change the dynamics of a game, wolves were clearly on top second half, even at 1 - 0 you could see the writing on the wall, a substitute can change that momentum. Sorry this was weak by Daniel. We were excellent first half but were tired, time for fresh legs, very very frustrating. 

• Like 1

As i said in the match thread, I don't think anyone can defend the lack of early substitutions today. The goal was coming and the game was crying out for Hernandez as an outlet to give Wolves something to think about on the counter. By the time he came on, Wolves were defending deep and there was little space to work with.

Yup, too much space being given in midfield due to tiredness and it was so obvious except to the bench. We threw that game away IMO.   

15 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

He keeps making the same mistakes over and over again

when will he ever learn you can’t stay in the premier league with Cantwell in our team 

Good grief !! 🙄

Trouble is -that's its not the late subs -we are simply not good enough to compete a whole 90 minutes- 

1 minute ago, baldy09 said:

Trouble is -that's its not the late subs -we are simply not good enough to compete a whole 90 minutes- 

The truth , I'm afraid , ^^^

2 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

True enough and the powers that be decided we were good enough and needed no investment. 

Just now, Chumino said:

True enough and the powers that be decided we were good enough and needed no investment. 

Not sure that's accurate.

Think they decided to secure the financial future of the club and hope we were good enough to do it against the odds rather than spunking it up the wall on Naismith 2.0.

23 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

when will he ever learn you can’t stay in the premier league with Cantwell in our team 

LOL keep trying Jobsworth you never know someone might agree with you eventually lol 

Very poor timing of subs  you could see we were not going to hold out after the first goal .def going down you can't play like this and survive in the top leauge. 

Farke is just too damn stubborn to change his ways and not for the first time he has cost us.

The writing was on the wall before Wolves scored their first goal and a coach of his quality should have seen it coming because everybody else did.

Whether it's zonal marking, which fails every week, or non use of subs it's time he had a rethink.

That was our chance to make some progress today but I'm afraid HE blew it.

14 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Disagree. Bringing the quality of Vrancic and Hernandez on around the 70 minute makes a positive difference. When we don't, and the opposition do, we are at a disadvantage. 

• Like 1

Substitutes can change a game, but three on 86 mins, you must be joking. I agree Farke has done an excellent job, however, there were tired legs in that second half, most of the supporters could see it, but clearly not Farke. 

Buendia had his best game today and caused Wolves loads of problems. Why does Farke insist on bringing everyone back for his zonal marking, he could have left Buendia on the halfway line. 

Late substitutions and zonal marking have almost certainly contributed to our league position. We are still only 6 points adrift but perhaps he could reconsider both these areas of concern.

3 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

I support Farke 99% of the time, but again today not for the first time he failed to use substitutes early enough to change the dynamics of a game, wolves were clearly on top second half, even at 1 - 0 you could see the writing on the wall, a substitute can change that momentum. Sorry this was weak by Daniel. We were excellent first half but were tired, time for fresh legs, very very frustrating. 

I’m sick of seeing Srbeny slugging around for ten minutes a game, we were attacking and he was still in our half. What does Idah have to do? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Oh yeah the lad who is our 2nd top scorer in league. Bore off

5 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

Disagree. Bringing the quality of Vrancic and Hernandez on around the 70 minute makes a positive difference. When we don't, and the opposition do, we are at a disadvantage. 

Fully agree with this. Farke is to blame for the loss imo, it was obvious to all watching that Trybull was getting caught and playing backwards and Todds first half barnstormer was not working second half. The substitutions should of been made latest immediately after the equaliser. To leave it to the 85th minute is incompetent to say the least. Change the game Before you are chasing it. Come on Daniel be braver with your changes.....you get most other things right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Assume this is a joke?

Whilst I don't think that DF uses the substitute bench very well it does seem to me that this (the OP's) is a criticism  levelled against all managers by all supporters all of the time.

I often wonder why the man in the hot seat is consistently more reluctant to makes changes than the man in the stands.

The only "recent" City manager who didn't really come under the cosh for his timing of subs was Lambert, and look where he is now.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Ryan Bennett got a nice round of applause when he was warming up, could have given us a song though, anyway the mere fact he was in the ground undoubtedly made it his fault that we lost today.

I'm inclined to agree that subs could be made a bit earlier.  I trust Farke, but maybe he needs to listen to his own words and be a bit more brave with substitutions.   Would love to see Vrancic on earlier.

• Like 1

Changes should have been made straight after that equaliser. It soon became obvious only one team was going on to win it. So yes the blame is on Farke for that but Pukki must shoulder the main responsibility for that loss. At least one of those chances should have hit the net and we would have been out of sight at half time 

32 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Ryan Bennett got a nice round of applause when he was warming up, could have given us a song though, anyway the mere fact he was in the ground undoubtedly made it his fault that we lost today.

When John Ruddy came out to warm up he got a round of applause but completely ignored it. It’s no good telling people you don’t think you were appreciated and then ignore everyone when you come back.

It also shows a bit of mistrust in the ability of the players you intend to bring on. We were crying out for energy in midfield, either a direct swap of Amadou for Tettey, or the guile of Vrancic. It's also worrying week in week out our players look so tired after 60 or 70 mins yet Farke always seems to delay his substitutions.