Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Which of you do not support England

Scots born so somebody will need to explain to me what a ''World Cup finals'' is before I can let you know if England can expect my support at such a thing

[quote user="Buckethead"]Scots born so somebody will need to explain to me what a ''World Cup finals'' is before I can let you know if England can expect my support at such a thing[/quote]Argentina 1978? [:D]

[Y] What Mister Chops said.

Then, when we fail at the QFstage, perhaps someone will finally realise that we need to rethink the whole structure of the game starting with a radical rethink on the Premier League, foreign players, money distribution, academys. grass roots etc etc. 

It''s kind of sad to see some football lovers so disinterested in England and lacking passion for their country in such a prestigious event at a time when many feel England really are due a world cup win. Part of the reasoning behind this seems to be the lack of likable characters in the England team and the fact that they are so filthy rich (how dare they earn such a good living) it all sounds a bit too judgmental to me, do we really know any of them well enough to say they aren''t good people? Other than a few iffy tabloid headlines and brief interviews, we don''t really know much about them as a person at all. And if the high money earning is such an issue then don''t hate on them, hate on football in general.

I think some people are getting carried away with the hype. I don''t think England are actually very good. We only breezed qualifying because the group was crap.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]I think some people are getting carried away with the hype. I don''t think England are actually very good. We only breezed qualifying because the group was crap.[/quote]Well actually i''m surprised more people havn''t got carried away prior to this world cup, I don''t think their is as high expectation as their was in Germany 2006, the general mood amongst fans from what I can tell is that we COULD make the semi''s but were unlikely to win the tournament.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]I think some people are getting carried away with the hype. I don''t think England are actually very good. We only breezed qualifying because the group was crap.[/quote]

I will agree with that.  When you look at the team you can''t say that the majority is world class.  Lets go through the team...

The keepers - James has had his chance and blown it and is far to prone to mistakes.  Green solid enough but no quite world class.  Hart is promising but not quite a world cup winner yet.

Defence - Ashley Cole and Rio Ferdinand, world class.  Terry is very overated but we have no one better.  Johnson is great going forward but he won''t be able to cope with a Messi or Ronaldo.  Carragher is solid enough but very overated in my opinion.  Upson and Dawson aint quite international quality.

Midfield - Gerrard and Lampard, world class however you can''t play them together in the middle which means effectively losing one of them.  Barry is good and is definately an international player whereas Carrick is not quite at that level.  Scotty Parker isn''t quite international level and Huddlestome has a long way to go before being an England reg but he has promise.  Milner is great but can he do it at the highest level?  Walcott, Lennon, SWP, all super quick and good in the prem but world cup?  I''m not sure.  Adam Johnson, I think Capello needs to have a look at him against Japan on sunday, he is something different and could solve our left wing problem, he has a lot of promise.

Strikers - Rooney, world class.  Crouch, I don''t know how he does it but he always scores for England.  Defoe, he causes problems but not quite at the level for the world cup and same with Bent and Heskey is just ridiculous.  If Heskey plays for England so can I!

When you look at that, and this is just my opinion, we really only have an average international squad that is not capable of a world cup win in my opinion.  Teams like Spain are so much stronger than us.  However there is not that many teams like Spain at the moment so this world cup is very open.

I support England. Being English and a football fan it''s a given I suppose.But get excited about an England game like I did in my youth and still do for every City game? Nope. Just haven''t got enough footy emotion left in me to be dealing with that bunch of thoroughly unlikeable pr*cks. It''s not like there''s any proper characters left playing for England, where''s our Stuart Pearce, our Gazza? They don''t exist anymore.What was that Stranglers song? No More Heroes.Sums up international football for me.

I support City first and then England with City i always feel the roller coaster ride of emotions if England play bad then i kind of expect it we are always hyped up by the media and as soon as we qualify then all of a sudden England are going to win the tournament.

Can I also add the moron mentality of young pissed-up men who roam the city in packs waving England flags and using every game as an excuse to get completely wasted and swagger through the city as if they own it?  I don''t know what it is about England matches that makes all the neanderthals come out in packs a la Leeds away fans, but if that''s "supporting your country" (by smashing it up) then I''m afraid you can count me out of it.

From Norway, so not rely a England supporter but if Green is playing then Go England :-)

I wish I could feel excited about this World Cup.

I wish I could feel some affinity for the players who make up the national side.

I hope I am wrong in assuming England has a very ordinary side who can only play high tempo football in moderate temperatures or lower and whose game, not based on technical skill and discipline does not suit typical World Cup conditions.

Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised but there is nothing exciting me about this World Cup.

Next season in The Championship is another thing though, and I hope Lambert keeps together a group of players who do mean something to me and other Canaries fans.

Good comments BTW Chops.

I''m English, but would rather Norwich won a corner than England won a World Cup.

I just can''t really get into the England international games, mostly for the reasons Mr Chops stated.

That said, i''m looking forward to the tournament. Spain, Brazil, Holland, etc play some lovely stuff.

What makes me feel more passionate about supporting Norwich is the banter and rivalry with opposition fans, and because most people I know support England too, it just feels a little pointless and boring everyone supporting the same team! Also glory hunters make it very hard to feel passionate about your national team.

[quote user="Greg Downs Hairpiece"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Do all Enlishmen put club before country?[:P]
[/quote]
Yes..
It can be taxing supporting thugs like Stevie G & the rest of the unlikeables...@ the end of the day i will always want us 2 win .
[/quote]

So Steven Gerrard gets accused of one offence, which he was not convicted of, and suddenly he is a ''thug''? One punch in the career of a thirty year old, that would make most of the country ''thugs''. Why use Gerrard as an example? John Terry would be much more applicable. I mean ffs, Grant Holt is more of a thug on the pitch than most England players....

England and Norwich supporter on a level par....I will also support and root for the Scottish, the Welsh - and Northern and Republic of Ireland International sides - (as long as it''s not against England)....

Not really a big fan of the Premiership ''Big Six'' but if they''re playing in Europe - I want them to win....

I really enjoy The World Cup, and Italia 90 has been one my particular favourites....I also thoroughly enjoy the European Championships and will usually adopt, follow and cheer one of the Scandinavian sides....(as long as it isn''t against England or one of those mentioned in my first paragraph).

i do not support England - the first world cup I remember was Spain 1982 and the England team had , Mills , Butcher , Osman and Mariner - enough reason not to support them , I dislike most of the players England have now , Terry , Ferdinand , Cole , Gerrard and Lampard particularly , I dislike the way the press build up england to be guaranteed winners

I will watch most games in the World cup as I always do , I will applaud good football and not be bothered who wins or loses really , I love watching Spain ( Xavi particularly ) Brazil ( but they are not what they were ) and Argentina ( only Messi , the rest are not great )

I can see England getting to the Quarter finals , or semis witha favourable draw , but they won;t win it , but I won;t sulk for a week when they do go out and it isn;t the end of teh world cup for me , once they do go out

I am a Norwich fan , first and foremost , I don;t even support other english sides in Europe

Norfolk first and England second for me.

I will watch -and enjoy- the World Cup, and try to take in as many matches as I can, I just hope that every game that England aren''t involved in, still features "interviews", "visits to the England camp" and chats with players from opposing nations which include the question, "can England win the World Cup?".

BBC Wimbledon coverage is regularly spoilt with their obsession (then) with Henman and now with Murray, I hope the World Cup is similarly focused on the home nations but doubt it.

If England win, great! If they don''t. Oh well, someone else will. And straight choice between promotion for Norwich next season and England winning World Cup? Don''t be silly!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Made me laugh when Chiles said that there was 50m England fans, no Chiles, there''s 50m people in England but take all the non-English and those born here but who still consider some other place "home" out of the equation and you end up with just 40m English fans.[/quote]

And then you add back in all the English who have moved abroad, because emigration also exists, and you get closer to 50 million again.

Now you can carry on being ever so slightly racist.

[/quote]

He said "in England"..

So you don''t believe that Norman Tebbit was right? His cricket test applies to football as well.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Made me laugh when Chiles said that there was 50m England fans, no Chiles, there''s 50m people in England but take all the non-English and those born here but who still consider some other place "home" out of the equation and you end up with just 40m English fans.[/quote]And then you add back in all the English who have moved abroad, because emigration also exists, and you get closer to 50 million again.Now you can carry on being ever so slightly racist.[/quote]

He said "in England"..

So you don''t believe that Norman Tebbit was right?

[/quote]I believe that Norman Tebbit proves God has a sense of humour.

Really don''t give a stuff about England, never have been able to get into it and i''m in my forties now so i guess i never will. To be honest i''ll be glad when they go out cause the media have surpassed themselves this time i''m already sick of hearing about Gareth Barry''s bloody ankle or whether Carragher will play at rb or cb. I''m Norwich and thats it as far as i''m concerned, first last and always.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Part of the problem for me is that our international team are largely a bunch of arrogant, self-absorbed and super-wealthy tosspots.  The 1966 team were working class heroes in the truest sense, many of them so skint in later life that they have sold their world cup medals and/or their shirts to have anything like a semi-decent standard of living.  1966 - Bobby Moore2010 - John TerryWhile it would be nice if England got to the semi finals, is it surprising that some of us aren''t really that bothered?[/quote]

Have to say this is exactly how I feel about it.

yep, couldnt really give a toss either.

Usually end up supporting a scandinavian side since they are basically our brothers and they can take a drink without turning into a bunch of thugs.

It would be lovely for the media to actually wax lyrical about a good footballing side( half the reason to support City lets face it!!) such as Spain, Netherlands or Chile rather than the one dimensional kick and rush of English football.

If we think Theo "i cross as well as Crofty" Walcott or Sean "my dad was good" Wright-Phillips are world class then why dont we sign up Aidy Forbes? I mean after all that boy would run all day......

I guess the main reason however is that the local pub will suddenly be full of Utd, ''pool or Chelscum shirts and everyone will be a football expert forgetting of course that they never go to see a live game or know their side''s starting XI?!?!?!  Almost as embarassing as listening to the women in the pub endlessly going over the offside rule to prove that they know what they are talking about.

Having said that, and reading this message it seems obvious to me that the Fine City still has some intelligent residents and none of the jingoistic crap that will no doubt float around the rest of the nation. Living in Korea now i will have to suffer a mountain of red shirted "fans" who have never kicked a ball in their life...........only for 2 weeks though.....lovely watching them get stuffed!!!

Canaries flag out the apartment window.......England flag? Nope.  

Half Irish and have always followed my motherland in international sports (although I do love test cricket and will therefore support England especially in theAshes, as I cannot stand the Aussies!!!!).

I would echo the sentiments of many on here; I don''t really care about England as I cannot make an emotional connection with the England team, they are for the most part, or rather appear to be a group of thoroughly unlikeable, overpaid, oversexed, undereducated, ego maniacs and therefore I find it very difficult to muster even a modicom of support for them. The only players i feel any kind of sympathy for are David James, as he comes across as a really intelligent, compassionate, articulate and very genuine guy and Ledley King because of his stuggle to overcome injury and his desire to keep on fighting against the odds. The rest can go shaft themselves for all I care. Allied to this is the fact that I simply cannot stand the way in which the Sun (in particular) hijacks every major sporting event saturating the market with it''s simplistic, jingoistic, monotonous brand of "patriostism", all of which is ultimately for the gain of a meglomaniacal, australian media tycoon. There is nothing wrong with loving the country you were born/brought up in/emigrated to, but I find the Sun and their ilk''s almost americanised version of doing so disgustingly brash, gaudy and utterly distasteful.

I will of course support England and I hope they do well but I do so reluctantly and If i''m honest would rather see a real under dog like Cote D''Ivoire or even South Africa make a significant challenge for the trophy, that would be something I could really get behind!

To be honest, if NCFC didn''t exist i''d probably not watch football at all.

Oh and what Chops said about the people who watch ''Ingerland''. Bunch of morons.

They interviewed a young soldier today who lost both arms and his right leg in an attack while serving in Afghanistan.  They said to him, "do you have any regrets?" and he said "no, I''d go back tomorrow if I could."  He spends eight hours a day in physio now so he can try to lead a "normal" life.  Now I didn''t catch his name, but that young man is a hero to me in a way that John Terry will never be, even if he does lift the World Cup trophy in a month''s time.

I''ll be following England because it''ll help the close season pass more quickly.  Can''t get much more enthusiastic than that, and certainly don''t want to associate myself with the djingoistic ''Ingerlund'' types.

Sorry but, in my view, many of you are totally missing the point.The players representing us in the World Cup are more-or-less irrelevant; its actually ourselves, as a nation, we are supporting.That doesn''t mean support in the tabloid sense; these rags only peddle such jingoistic, "patriotic" nonsense to fill the void left by genuine national pride. We''ve failed and flopped so much on the international stage - in sport and beyond - that we''ve lost that sense completely. We laugh at ourselves, routinely, and like drains. We''ve laughed so much that self-deprecation is now an endemic malaise palling every part of our daily social and cultural lives.To my mind, succeeding at the very highest level of international sport would go some way to putting that right, providing some sort of foundation for re-establishing a sense of genuine, authentic national pride once again.This is just my view, though.

Very well said Paul Lambert''s Disciple[Y]I feel sorry for the people who don''t get excited and carried away with all the hype and tension that surrounds a world cup involving England, they are the ones missing out while the rest of us get on with backing our nation in the biggest sporting event in the world, even though it probably will end in bitter disappointment I for one will still enjoy the highs and lows that come with an England world cup.