Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Which of you do not support England

Paul Lambert''s Disciple (Sorry not letting me quote you for some reason)I understand your view point, I just can''t get excited about being ''English'' it doesn''t mean all that much to me. Perhaps people like me prove your point about the lack of collective national identity? I am not Anti-English I have the same mutual respect for all of the worlds citizens. England is a great country to live in, but equally so are France & Spain 2 other countries I have resided in, I view someone from Manchester or London the same as I would a Parisian or some one from Barcelona and don''t feel that I have any more or less in common with any of them. My heart lies in Norfolk and obviously Norwich City though, just to clarify though I am not some nutter who thinks Norfolk should be an independent state

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]The likes of those who won''t get behind the national team really are sad individuals. Get a life you self loathing knobheads. Why the fuck you still live here is beyond me. The best comment yet."I''ll support Spain because they play attractive football !" Classic. How many kids do we lose supporting man ure over city because of the same reason? Norfolk born and proud and this county has contributed to a truly great nation more than most. Wind your bloody necks in.[/quote]

Supporting another country is wrong, but not being that bothed about England isn''t really......Spain do play much better football than England, and they probably will be more entertaining to watch, but i seriously doubt there can be any English person who will ''support'' England over Spain....

And i still want to know, why people who get so upset about English people not supporting the England national team, will get on their backs.... i bet all the people who write stupid reports in the papers will all say the support England, and moan at those who don''t.....it makes no sense....
[/quote]

Because we are English and very proud maybe?  Go up to an avid England supporter, the ones who travel around the globe to get caps to go to watch ''their Country'' play the beautiful game and say you think Spain play better football lol.

I''m sorry I can''t understand ENGLISH people not supporting their HOME COUNTRY

I''m sorry I can''t understand ENGLISH people not supporting their HOME COUNTRY

Spot on Way49.......Proud to be from Norwich, proud to be English......this debate wouldnt even have happened 20+ years ago..............

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]I''m sorry I can''t understand ENGLISH people not supporting their HOME COUNTRY Spot on Way49.......Proud to be from Norwich, proud to be English......this debate wouldnt even have happened 20+ years ago..............[/quote]

Be interesting Arthur to see the gae of those who DONT support their home team and will back another Countries team instead, that to me is just wrong.  By all means admire a Countries team and how the play the game, but to support them, it stinks IMHO.

I bet those who are saying they won''t support England will be the first to jump on the bandwagon if England do win

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]I''m sorry I can''t understand ENGLISH people not supporting their HOME COUNTRY Spot on Way49.......Proud to be from Norwich, proud to be English......this debate wouldnt even have happened 20+ years ago..............[/quote]

Be interesting Arthur to see the AGE of those who DONT support their home team and will back another Countries team instead, that to me is just wrong.  By all means admire a Countries team and how the play the game, but to support them, it stinks IMHO.

I bet those who are saying they won''t support England will be the first to jump on the bandwagon if England do win

[/quote]

Bloody typos lol

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"].........You have the media as your evidence, i have my eyes and ears...........what would you trust.....something you see/hear....or a report in the papers..........[/quote]No offence, Arthur, but I trust the BBC''s news reporting more than the things you''ve seen and heard.  Fair play to you for following England away from home though, it''s not cheap and clearly your heart is in it.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]I actually thought you knew a bit about the wider world but clearly not.[/quote]I''m getting worried about this.  Earlier this week someone mentioned there was a country outside Norfolk, and now you''re suggesting there''s something called a "wider world" out there too.  I feel like Frodo Baggins just before Uncle Bilbo gives him the ring.  No, that''s not a homosexual euphemism.

LOL to the above Chops.

Thsi quote "but I trust the BBC''s news reporting more than the things you''ve seen and heard"

Now...i have seen english attacked, offered money to kick off, a number of contributing factors....these are things ive witness...not a rumour fact.....the bbc and other media...love the old "english hooligans" during tournemounsts......look back at footge of england at World cup 06.......very small encounter.....started by locals drinking in the 2 opposite puibs and the pubs to the left and right........they steamed in. as a unit, cornering england fans....the english fought back.....guess what part of the footage they showed.....yup england fighting back after being corned by german thugs.....like I said what do you bel;ive....2 minute clip on bbc or an account from someone there.......one example....i could go on and make over 20 incidents that tv and tabloids have turned into "english hooligans", but tell you the real story............I still think you will stick with your bbc though.......

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Be interesting Arthur to see the AGE of those who DONT support their home team and will back another Countries team instead, that to me is just wrong.  By all means admire a Countries team and how the play the game, but to support them, it stinks IMHO.

[/quote]Have many people said they were going to support another country then? I haven''t got time to check the whole thread but I would imagine it''s a very, very small minority.I''m not surprised that a lot of football fans have turned their backs on the national team to be honest. There has been a feeling around the country for a while now that pulling on an England shirt doesn''t actually mean that much to some of the players. I''m not convinced that it''s true but it''s played upon by various newspapers who want to put the genie back in the bottle and return to an age where playing for ones country was the greatest honour any footballer could wish for. I think all of our players will want to do their best out in South Africa (for themselves as much as for their country) but they will undoubtedly be accused of not caring the minute they get knocked out  I love watching international football but the fact is that in terms of quality it is now inferior to the Champions League. The top players are dropping down a level to play in the World Cup. Then you have the fact that the England XI just seem so damned unlikeable. I''m sure if you dug deep enough the Spanish, Italian and Brazillian teams would display equally deplorable character traits but we don''t get to hear about that.Your point about age may well be a good one even though it doesn''t make a lot of sense. The world has changed greatly since I was a kid and I''m guessing I''m a fair bit younger than you (and a lot younger than Arthur [:D]). What does being English mean to young fans today? Does a Chelsea fan whose club is owned by a Russian, managed by an Italian and packed with players from all over the world still care about the national team as a Chelsea fan of twenty years ago might have done? You can''t answer those questions purely in terms of football as they are influenced by wider issues. The upshot of which are that this country is vastly different than it was 20+ years ago and with regards to the debate about what that means for the country football is one very small part of such a debate.

Your point about age may well be a good one even though it doesn''t make a lot of sense. The world has changed greatly since I was a kid and I''m guessing I''m a fair bit younger than you (and a lot younger than Arthur ). What does being English mean to young fans today?

Age is the question that needs to be looked at on this debate.

So to those on this debate, who will be supporting anyone but England.........how old are you???

The answers might lay in that question........

Who is supporting ''anyone but England'' and are they representative of their age group?For the record I am 34 and will be supporting England although I won''t be hugely upset if they don''t win it. I supported Brazil once in 1982.........but I was only six [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Who is supporting ''anyone but England'' and are they representative of their age group?For the record I am 34 and will be supporting England although I won''t be hugely upset if they don''t win it. I supported Brazil once in 1982.........but I was only six [;)][/quote]Well...I''m not going to tell you exactly how old I am, but I am younger than you, lol, and whilst I won''t really be supporting England I won''t be supporting anyone else either.

whilst I won''t really be supporting England I won''t be supporting anyone else either.

Why? You are I assume a football fan or you wouldnt be on the pink un {with the exception of camuldung}..........and I would have thought you support norwich, by you using this forum......so why support Norwcih and not England???

I really dont get this.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]whilst I won''t really be supporting England I won''t be supporting anyone else either.

Why? You are I assume a football fan or you wouldnt be on the pink un {with the exception of camuldung}..........and I would have thought you support norwich, by you using this forum......so why support Norwcih and not England???

I really dont get this.[/quote]Yes, I am a football fan, yes, I am a Norwich fan.I don''t really know why I don''t support England as such, I just never have. I''m not dead set against England in a way I''ve seen some people on here seem to be, but at the same time I''m just not a big fan. There''s no big reason for it, I''m just not. I''m a Norwich fan because I''m from Norwich and because I''ve been going to see them play since I was a little kid, so there''s an attachment there. With England, although I am obviously from England, to me it all seems too "far away". Perhaps if I''d been around in the 60s, 70s, 80s etc I might have a different view, though.

I have already said why I don''t support England, but I was one of the posters who confessed to supporting another foreign team ''Spain'', bearing in mind that I have never supported England I wish to see Spain win the world cup as I believe they play the best football and would be deserving winners, that said I wouldn''t loose any sleep if they were knocked out, I will support them in the same way I would prefer Arsenal to win the premier league. I love the world cup but in reality watch it as a neutral.I don''t hate England or anything stupid like that though, good luck to those of you supporting England!!I am in my late 20''s by the way.

Oh and I got Paraquay in the World Cup sweepstake on the Its not just football forum, and New Zealand in the one at work that I actually put money into (thats £5 well spent) so guess I will follow those two teams too.

I support Norwich in local rugby. Norwich in club football. Norfolk in country cricket. England in international Football, rugby and cricket. Great Britain in tennis and the olympics. The Lions in the rugby tours. And finally Europe in the Ryder cup. Ill support England at the world cup, and would love to see a world cup win. Yes most of the England players are moronic, but if they played for Norwich it wouldnt stop me supporting us. Theres a proportion of England fans who are hooligans, but they all support clubs too, and we just happen to be lucky to support a team that has a relative minority of that element. Although I dare say many of those thugs in Thetford who smashed up the Portuguese pub were Norwich fans. Im more passionate about Norwich, but thats because I get to go to games, and I follow them every day. Its why any of us true Norwich fans are infinitely more passionate than any armchair fan from one of the big four. Perhaps thats why Arthur is so strongly passionate towards England, because he follows them so closely. Im a big England fan, but ive only ever been to one International in my life. Ive seen the Venezuelan national team as many times as the England team.Which would I prefer to see? Well ive seen two league titles, but no world cup win. If we won the world cup the infamous ''Feel good factor'' would be quite something. If Norwich get promoted this season then we would probably just come straight back down, at best achieve mid-table mediocrity. A team like us will never compete for premiership honours, or even top 4, and that saddens me.  I still think I would go for Norwich success over England; That said, I really would love to see a world cup win one of these days.I dont understand not supporting your country, having visited the likes of Australia, USA, Thailand and Brazil recently I loved their sense of patriotism and love for their country. We have very little of that here, even St Georges day passes by without many people noticing. Im proud to be British, English, and Norfolkian, . (Although I tend to keep quiet the fact I was born in Yarmouth..) Anyway I digress. Each to their own...

Oh and I agree with an earlier point Arthur made. While English football fans are no saints, as a whole we are far better behaved than 20 years ago, and far better behaved than some of our European and South American rivals. By no means are all English fans perfect, but the minority always create the headlines; although that just sums up the heap of sh i t e that is our media.

"England is an arbitary nation state and I''ve got more in common with a

working man with a brain in Norway than I have with a chav from

Plymouth."By the same token surely you have more in common with a working man with a brain in Plymouth, than you have a chav from Heartsease or Mile Cross?Anyway, will leave this one for the evening, before I get accused of trying to boost my post count [:)]

here is a quick one to chuck in......

A lot has been spoken about the fact that the shirt doesnt seem to mean that much to the players.

Lampard and gerrard (apart from this season) are class for their clubs yet rarely live up to it in our shirt. Perhaps they try too hard? I doubt that however,

If the likes of Scholes and Carragher can decide to just turn their backs on their country (and however patriotic or not we are, we would all chop our right arm off to wear the england shirt im sure) then how does that look to the nation?!?

Its much like an atmosphere in a ground. You have your hardcore fans then you have the ones that need the team to provide them with something worth cheering.  We havent had much of that recently eh?!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]I supported Brazil once in 1982.........but I was only six Self loathing Guardianist judas!!![/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I''m on the fence on this one. I watched a few clips from Italia 90 on youtube yesterday and began to get all excited about the world cup. There really is nothing like it when England make progress. That and Euro 96 were great experiences. But then you look at Cashley Cole, ''JT'', Fat Frank and think - there''s no way that these money-grabbing tossers represent me, or anything I love about England. The idea of Terry in particular running around Jo''burg with the World Cup actually makes me feel a bit nauseous. (And it''s got nothing to do with his infidelity, that''s none of my business - it''s his thuggishness on the pitch and his appalling exploitation of his role as England captain). The current lot are certainly very difficult to support. It has to be said, though, that we have no chance of winning it, so the dilemma won''t seriously be faced.[/quote]

Alot of people are using this as a reason not to support there country, J.T''S done this Cashley Cole etc etc. Well how many of you choose not to support norwich when Matty Patty was shamed for what he did? how many of you boo''d him on his next performance, or didnt celebrate when he scored?? None of you. You all supported norwich just the same. So why do you lose affinity with England just becuase 2/3 Players might of done things off the pitch you dont agree with?

Theres an awfull lot of double standards on here.

"I''m the most English!""No! I''m the most English!""No I am!""Are not!""Are too!""Yeah? Well I''m a bigger Norwich fan than you!""No I am!""Are not!"And so on...[|-)]

I think a lot of this is to do with choice.

We consciously make a decision to support Norwich. Its not made for you, and, if you are Norwich/Norfolk born and bred, it isn''t an automatic one either-there are many supporters in Norwich/Norfolk who support other teams and are proud to do so.Their choice, our choice.

If you are born in England-and you had no choice in that decision!-then you are expected to be English and support England in all things! The decision is not yours, its yours by trait of a birth that you had no choice in. Yes, I hope England do well in the World Cup. But my "relationship" with the England football team is to do with that association of birth and assumption that loyalty is ''given'' for that reason.

I chose to support Norwich. You don''t have to support your local team, even if you are born locally-that choice IS yours, I chose Norwich, many friends did the same, many more have chosen other clubs. We''re all English, but we played no part in that decision! On the other hand, our clubs-well, we did, and we do.

Do I have to be defined as an "Englishman" and therefore champion all that is English, simply because of my Birth? Or can I exercise freedom of choice-supposedly one of the bedrocks of being English/British? Or, must I be told that I HAVE to support England? Surely the opposite???

[quote user="Old Shuck"]I think a lot of this is to do with choice. We consciously make a decision to support Norwich. Its not made for you, and, if you are Norwich/Norfolk born and bred, it isn''t an automatic one either-there are many supporters in Norwich/Norfolk who support other teams and are proud to do so.Their choice, our choice. If you are born in England-and you had no choice in that decision!-then you are expected to be English and support England in all things! The decision is not yours, its yours by trait of a birth that you had no choice in. Yes, I hope England do well in the World Cup. But my "relationship" with the England football team is to do with that association of birth and assumption that loyalty is ''given'' for that reason. I chose to support Norwich. You don''t have to support your local team, even if you are born locally-that choice IS yours, I chose Norwich, many friends did the same, many more have chosen other clubs. We''re all English, but we played no part in that decision! On the other hand, our clubs-well, we did, and we do. Do I have to be defined as an "Englishman" and therefore champion all that is English, simply because of my Birth? Or can I exercise freedom of choice-supposedly one of the bedrocks of being English/British? Or, must I be told that I HAVE to support England? Surely the opposite???[/quote]

Whooossshhhhhh................... over my head that mate!

I have never supported England I wish to see Spain win the world cup as I believe they play the best football and would be deserving winners

Ok fair comment, you want the team who plays the best football to win...............so I take it you dont support Norwich then???.....We didnt play the best football in League One let alone the whole english league system as a whole.............supporting man Utd or Arsenal next season???